The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1179 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Really stinks not having prestidigitation on the spell list, huh?
    I blame the High Priestess of Odin. She almost certainly has the magic domain and hence could have brought and used an item of Prestidigitation such as a very cheap wand.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Halfling in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dmc91356 View Post
    I love that it is the blind priest that is dangled over the presumably naked other priest and casting create water to be the shower. Must preserve modesty, I suppose. But a nice touch.
    I figure the priestess casting the Create Water spell and the one on the left are blindfolded for modesty's sake. Which makes me wonder if the older priestess on the right has white eyes because she's actually blind, or using magic to peep on the bather.
    There's a dwarfish saying: "All trees are felled at ground-level" -although this is said to be an excessively bowdlerized translation for a saw which more literally means, "When his hands are higher than your head, his groin is level with your teeth." -Terry Pratchett

3. - Top - End - #63
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Essex View Post
    I figure the priestess casting the Create Water spell and the one on the left are blindfolded for modesty's sake. Which makes me wonder if the older priestess on the right has white eyes because she's actually blind, or using magic to peep on the bather.
    She's the High Priestess of Hoder, who is blind, and as such all of his clergy is either blind or blindfolded while on duty.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Barbarian in the Playground

I am ashamed to say that, if I did catch the Warhammer reference, I didn't get the beaver and wood-chipper joke until reading this thread.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

The placement of the shower and the fact that the cloth is only blocking the view from one direction...and 2 people need to hold up the cloth...how inefficient. Funny, though.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Quote Originally Posted by St Fan View Post
    I am ashamed to say that, if I did catch the Warhammer reference, I didn't get the beaver and wood-chipper joke until reading this thread.
    I also realized the beaver and woodpecker joke after reading the thread, after which I laughed pretty hard. Benefits of reading the forum!
    Last edited by kiapet; 2019-09-09 at 10:22 AM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

The treeslayers are awesome but that last panel is pure gold. I love how utterly unnecessary that shower contraption is and that some of the Clerics are bound to realize that (especially the wilder ones like Freya’s, Fenrir’s and especially Skadi’s) but are keeping mum, probably for funsies.

Edited after reading the thread : guys, am I the only one here who ever showered with a bucket?

Quote Originally Posted by Essex View Post
    Hoder’s High Priestesd is as blind as her god. She is sometimes facing the wrong way on wide shots.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-09-09 at 10:31 AM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sylian View Post
    Someone should make a Treeslayer prestige class.
    Done :P andsomemoreletters
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

9. - Top - End - #69
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

It hard to tell without zooming in, the dwarf on the wood pecker is a lady. So I don't think anyone was shaving any beards.
    Now, Back to Lurking!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I think I'm going to defer to his wiser judgment in this case, because I'm probably going to keep writing responses and that will only lead to me getting myself in trouble somehow.
    - I should follow this advice more often.

Belkar's Death Countdown best guess: 28/49 days used before Belkar is gone forever more!

Hey, its the Blog where I write! Dice Roles

10. - Top - End - #70
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

I love how nobody, even those whose gods sided with Hel, wants to hang out with the High Priestess of Hel. Yeah, it's probably because she's an unholy mockery of life whose very existence is a blight upon the world and an insult to natural order of the multiverse and the right disposition of souls and the afterlife, but I like to imagine that it's a much more petty, mundane "It's your fault that we're stuck here in this glorified conference room for days on end, so you can't come play cards with us!"
    Last edited by Grey Watcher; 2019-09-09 at 10:44 AM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

I just noticed that the high priestess of Odin is referring to other high priests by the names of their patron deities. Probably because she's reading from a schematic list, but hey, it's two fewer names that the Giant needs to introduce
    ungelic is us

12. - Top - End - #72

Not sure which is my favorite: the bored vampire HPoH, or the Treeslayers.

I say they fight to the death for my amusement! *CLAP CLAP*

13. - Top - End - #73

WolfInSheepsClothing

The High-Priest-of-Njord-Pinata is a nice touch. Given that both creating water and purifying water are orisons, my guess is it's 50-50 down to gnomish eccentricity or one of the priests thinking it was funny.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Oof, poor clerics.

if this godsmoot goes on much longer, we may start to see an entire clerically-sustained ecology roaming around that room.

any longer then that, and some seccond-generation Godsmooters
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground

The HPoHel is standing back in the shadows because the sun's out and Durkula didn't bother researching the Protection From Sunlight abjuration. No wonder she wanted the Staff of Malack.

Yes, shower duty is being performed by the HPoNjord. Hoder's priestess has the white eyes Rich uses for blindness effects.

All those who voted against me on either "The Order leaves instead of hunting down the last vampire" or "The Council/Godsmoot runs past the end of the book" oh Rich another dollar in the next PWYW.

16. - Top - End - #76

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenstep View Post
    The placement of the shower and the fact that the cloth is only blocking the view from one direction...and 2 people need to hold up the cloth...how inefficient. Funny, though.
    This is probably one of the panels where they are aware they are in a webcomic.

(Or it's the fact that no one stands between the bathtub and the wall. Presumably there's enough clerics of good and honourable deities to keep everyone else in line.)

Very nice teamwork.

They're all blindfolded to give the showering woman privacy, by the way - the cleric of Njord does not wear a blindfold at other times, neither does the cleric of Hermod, and the cleric of Hodor is blind.

@ Fyraltari: The cleric of Skadi is the one currently enjoying a nice hot shower. Why would it be unnecessary? Because they could take baths? Some people prefer a shower. Or is there a spell that conjures a real shower?
    Edit: Pouring a bucket of water over yourself isn't the same as a steady supply of water. Having someone else pour the bucket is a bit more comfortable, but it's not a proper shower.)

@Grey Watcher: The cleric of Fenrir would likely not have prejudices against undead aberrations, as they both prefer a similar diet, but he's one of the most annoyed at being stuck in there, so yes, it totally is petty.
    Last edited by Themrys; 2019-09-09 at 11:29 AM.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Yeah, but this is funnier.
    rule of funny always wins!
    my avatar is my gaian avatar, it changes whenever i change on gaia.

^ help the order of the stick wiki out? ^

18. - Top - End - #78

WolfInSheepsClothing

Isn't the other woman Hermod's high priest or something?

19. - Top - End - #79
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ornithologist View Post
    It hard to tell without zooming in, the dwarf on the wood pecker is a lady. So I don't think anyone was shaving any beards.
    the giant has always drawn male dwarves with beards, so yeah definitely a lady.
    my avatar is my gaian avatar, it changes whenever i change on gaia.

^ help the order of the stick wiki out? ^

20. - Top - End - #80
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DougTheHead View Post
    Also, new strategy: wait until the cleric of Fenrir dies of starvation, and the no votes carry the day.

It seems more likely that Fenrir gets killed by the other clerics for breaking the rules by eating Balder whole. That would still lead to stalemate.

21. - Top - End - #81

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    Any longer then that, and some seccond-generation Godsmooters
    I already ship the Priest of Balder and Priestess of Iounn.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalFailure View Post
    Isn't the other woman Hermod's high priest or something?
    Yup.

The woman in the helmet is one of the bodyguards, so I'm glad they haven't forgotten about the poor devils. One of them is even allowed to play with the cool kids!
    Last edited by hroşila; 2019-09-09 at 11:24 AM.
    ungelic is us

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

I was trying to identify the Go Fish party, and got as far as HPoLoki, HPoMani and HPoFreyr, but it wasn't until the third look that I recognized the fourth as one of the bodyguards. Given the red trim on her outfit I'm wondering if she's HPoLoki's.

24. - Top - End - #84

WolfInSheepsClothing

I thought she was BGoSkadi

25. - Top - End - #85

And hey, if playing cards gets too old, they can always strike up a game of Dungeons and Dragons.
    A genius is just a madman who succeeded. A hero's just a fool who didn't die.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    [insert sweet summer child meme here]

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ettin in the Playground

Themrys, which do you think is more unpleasant:
    A) Showering from a bucket
    B) being tied up upside down from a rope for however long it takes your colleague to shower?
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law

Forum Wisdom

27. - Top - End - #87
    Halfling in the Playground

Tree-Slayers. Awesome. I wonder what the most comparable reputation is for us?
    Dragon slayers? Witch Hunters?
    Maybe Bomb Squad? There's not much that both gives us an innate dread and can't be killed-or rather, we stop being afraid and start being violent if it's killable.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Note that the treeslayers are riding a beaver and a woodpecker

29. - Top - End - #89

I thought vampires had to grapple to drink blood. Doesn’t a grapple count as an attack? Or can the target simply choose not to resist? If someone volunteers to donate blood, can they also volunteer not to press charges of assault, or could one of the other (non-assaulted) clerics object to the breach of rules on the victim’s behalf?

I guess we’ll find out.
    The Giant says: Yes, I am aware TV Tropes exists as a website. ... No, I have never decided to do something in the comic because it was listed on TV Tropes. I don't use it as a checklist for ideas ... and I have never intentionally referenced it in any way.

30. - Top - End - #90

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    I thought vampires had to grapple to drink blood. Doesn’t a grapple count as an attack? Or can the target simply choose not to resist? If someone volunteers to donate blood, can they also volunteer not to press charges of assault, or could one of the other (non-assaulted) clerics object to the breach of rules on the victim’s behalf?

I guess we’ll find out.
    We probably won't - I bet this panel is the last we see of the Godsmoot for years.