The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: OOTS #1179 - The Discussion Thread

Do the more devoted or higher level priests of Hodor blind themselves? I assumed so but idk if that's the case.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalFailure View Post
    Do the more devoted or higher level priests of Hodor blind themselves? I assumed so but idk if that's the case.
    My personal headcanon is that going blind is a mark of favour from Hodor. So when it comes to promotion time the blindest gets promoted. Of course this could be abused and cases of abuse don't qualify.
    Ever wondered how many games are mentioned in the comic? I have listed them all in a geeklist: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/2...es-order-stick

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    Hermod's priestess is holding the shower, and if Veldrina is still here so is Southern Pantheon representative, so for the males we'd also have Thrym, Dvalin, Bragi and Surtur, and then non-nameless Wrecan, Dvalin is the shortest male not in frame so I guess we can put him on rope duty.
    Surtur's guy is big enough that he might not need a rope (pretty ironic to have a fire giant's priest casting Create Water, though). I'd say the same for the priest of Thrym, but he appears to be an old man with back problems.
    Last edited by RdMarquis; 2019-09-09 at 06:30 PM.

4. - Top - End - #154

Someone who would probably have the Fire Domain casting Create Water would probably give us a nice hot shower. Much better for cleaning.
    Nobody expects the Gnomish Inquisition!

5. - Top - End - #155

Quote Originally Posted by JumboWheat01 View Post
    Someone who would probably have the Fire Domain casting Create Water would probably give us a nice hot shower. Much better for cleaning.
    Certainly better than Thrym's priest with freezing water.
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    "A sufficiently big wedge of cheese is indistinguishable from an aircraft."

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by RdMarquis View Post
    Surtur's guy is big enough that he might not need a rope (pretty ironic to have a fire giant's priest casting Create Water, though). I'd say the same for the priest of Thrym, but he appears to be an old man with back problems.
    He’s also a “half-breed” according to Hel, and thus a half-giant. Who knows what sorts of things that genetic mixture does to your spine as you age?
    Last edited by Emanick; 2019-09-09 at 06:57 PM.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

I see no one has a Decanter of Endless Water. Still, props to them for adapting. Hopefully Created Water can be at proper temperatures for a shower.

8. - Top - End - #158

The giant woodpecker mount is hilarious.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RatElemental View Post
    Create food and water always makes bland gruel no matter how much you know about food. Hero's Feast sounds like it'd be pretty palatable from the spell description though.
    "Bland but nourishing", if I recall. I wonder though, if Fenrir's high priest finds the taste of freshly hunted and slain humanoids to be "ambrosial", is that what would be conjured for him under Heroes' Feast? Nothing in the spell description invalidates it from being used by and appealing to Evil-aligned casters and their allies.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    Interesting indeed that the vampire with curly hair escaped. Hopefully that won't come back to bite anyone, but I suppose it could make an interesting side story for the adventures of Clan Thundershield. Also, have Hilgya and Kudzu also moved on out of the story?
    I for one find it implausible that Hilgya did absolutely nothing to capture or destroy the vampire that she noticed wafting right by her in mist form. Maybe it'll be revealed that she caught or smoked her offscreen. Or maybe it's a mark of how little Loki actually wants to thwart Hel's plan for domination were it not for the opportunity to end the threat of the Snarl.
    I prepared Explosive Runes before writing this signature.

10. - Top - End - #160

WolfInSheepsClothing

It would be pretty funny if Hilgya actually smoked the vampire but everyone ends up on guard against a vampire that doesn’t exist due to miscommunication.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Hermod's priestess is holding the shower, and if Veldrina is still here so is Southern Pantheon representative, so for the males we'd also have Thrym, Dvalin, Bragi and Surtur, and then non-nameless Wrecan, Dvalin is the shortest male not in frame so I guess we can put him on rope duty.
    I agree with Anitar—this is perfectly fitting. Dvalin’s high priest is going to be agonizing over what in the world is taking so long out there (since it blocks the priests from communicating with people outside the moot).

Come to think of it, the events this time really dented the Godsmoot logistics. They’re likely to be stuck there for weeks (when previously they’d waited at most days for Dvalin), and when they are done, the Creed of Stone will be gone and thus unable to demolish the magical pop up gothic cathedral. Plus so many religions are going to be missing their high priests.
    Last edited by NobleCuriosity; 2019-09-09 at 08:16 PM.

12. - Top - End - #162

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalFailure View Post
    It would be pretty funny if Hilgya actually smoked the vampire but everyone ends up on guard against a vampire that doesn’t exist due to miscommunication.
    "Wait, so try to eat someone is enough to pay the fare to Smiteytown? Wow, you guys should have told me I was just worried I'd get in trouble for wiping out the wine cellar to get at the vampire with a Flame Strike."
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

13. - Top - End - #163

Quote Originally Posted by TheNecrocomicon View Post
    I for one find it implausible that Hilgya did absolutely nothing to capture or destroy the vampire that she noticed wafting right by her in mist form. Maybe it'll be revealed that she caught or smoked her offscreen. Or maybe it's a mark of how little Loki actually wants to thwart Hel's plan for domination were it not for the opportunity to end the threat of the Snarl.
    Allowing a priest to escape and start a church of Hel would alleviate Hel's current condition by giving her worshipers. So there's a chance Loki instructed her to let the vampire escape. But it's not that implausible that she'd just let it go by. She's chaotic evil, she has no reason to go out of her way to kill a lone vampire who is fleeing and no longer a threat to the world.

14. - Top - End - #164

Quote Originally Posted by NerdyKris View Post
    Allowing a priest to escape and start a church of Hel would alleviate Hel's current condition by giving her worshipers. So there's a chance Loki instructed her to let the vampire escape. But it's not that implausible that she'd just let it go by. She's chaotic evil, she has no reason to go out of her way to kill a lone vampire who is fleeing and no longer a threat to the world.
    And, more importantly, no longer a threat to her or Kudzu.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

-Squire Doodad

15. - Top - End - #165
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    And, more importantly, no longer a threat to her or Kudzu.
    On the other hand, "His scriptures teach us that lo, they are such gross, icky things", so it's entirely plausible she'd try to kill it anyway. But such an event would probably not be resolved off-screen. So, yeah, Hilgya probably let it go.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

16. - Top - End - #166
    Halfling in the Playground

I still don't get why people think not having clerics is why she doesn't have any worshipers. She's had undead clerics before (though apparently never any powerful ones). Even without clerics, presumably there would be some people who would worship her, since she's a known god, and people worship for other reasons than clerical benefits in this life. However we know directly from Rich that:
    No one worships Hel, as was mentioned here. That means literally not one single living person, ever.
    Source: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...5&postcount=29
    (I'm assuming "ever" means in this world)

In any event, I take that to mean there's something beyond the lack of clerics driving her lack of worshipers. Indeed if you read the full post that came from The Giant is saying she can't have clerics among the living because she has no worshipers, and a cleric has to worship their deity. It seems like the lack of worshipers is baked into the rules of this world and causes the lack of living clerics, rather than the other way around (unless he's changed his mind about how it works since he wrote that).
    Last edited by facw; 2019-09-09 at 08:33 PM.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Humanist View Post
    My personal headcanon is that going blind is a mark of favour from Hodor. So when it comes to promotion time the blindest gets promoted. Of course this could be abused and cases of abuse don't qualify.
    If remove blindness wasn’t such a low level spell I would have reversed the causality and assumed that blind people are more likely to becomes priests of Hodor.

Light the lamp not the rat LIGHT THE LAMP NOT THE RAT!!!

18. - Top - End - #168

Quote Originally Posted by Particle_Man View Post
    If remove blindness wasn’t such a low level spell I would have reversed the causality and assumed that blind people are more likely to becomes priests of Hodor.
    On the other hand, being intentionally blind means that anyone who has been blessed by Hoder and is wielding a staff is now a kickass melee fighter, screw stat penalties! We have the "impossibly skilled blind kung fu master" trope for a reason, right?

-Squire Doodad

19. - Top - End - #169
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorSarda View Post
    So why can't Elan just cast mending on the table?
    Because then the vote will resolve. They don't want that. They want this to drag on until after the bad guys lose, not give Hel another chance at rigging the vote.

20. - Top - End - #170

Quote Originally Posted by Thecommander236 View Post
    Because then the vote will resolve. They don't want that. They want this to drag on until after the bad guys lose, not give Hel another chance at rigging the vote.
    Also, the dwarves want to look lawful plus "unbroken" semantics.

-Squire Doodad

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    Please tell me that the Treeslayers are a reference to Warhammer dwarf Slayers. There is nothing more metal than a dwarf Slayer, and that makes it even better if what they have to die fighting are trees.
    Well; they are half-naked, wear mohawks, and dwarven.
    Either a lucky coincidence or a reference.
    My half-cut avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

22. - Top - End - #172
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Hel still has another cleric, though. Presumably a higher-level one, at that. She's even featured in the current comic.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-09-09 at 09:41 PM.
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatars by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Spoiler: Avatar collection
    Show

Spoiler: I'm the sun, I'm the sun
    Show
    Spoiler: I can move I can run
    Show
    Spoiler: But you'll never stop me burning
    Show

23. - Top - End - #173
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by goodpeople25 View Post
    Also any thoughts about the HPoO referring to the other High Priests as their respective Deities?
    It’s like with hereditary titles where the holder takes on the name of their title
    'Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalië ar Atanatári, utúlie'n aurë! “The day has come! Behold, people of the Eldar and Fathers of Men, the day has come!" And all those who heard his great voice echo in the hills answered, crying:'Auta i lómë!" The night is passing!"

24. - Top - End - #174

Quote Originally Posted by mjasghar View Post
    It’s like with hereditary titles where the holder takes on the name of their title
    Yeah, the King of Nowhere and the King of Anywhere have names, but if they are the only representatives of their nations and it is a moderately informal scenario (intentionally or otherwise, like this one) then calling them "Anywhere" and "Nowhere" would be acceptable.

-Squire Doodad

25. - Top - End - #175
    Dwarf in the Playground

Magically conjured is pretty much the most artificial you can get.
    Quote Originally Posted by TVtropes.com
    Rule Zero is simply a reminder to the players that the GM has to exercise some common sense and is permitted to supersede the rules when the rules would ruin enjoyment and fair play.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheYell View Post
    I think Rich Burlew feeds off forum speculation like Thor feeds off belief.
    Lore the Wizard avatar by linklele

My extended sig

26. - Top - End - #176

Quote Originally Posted by Thecommander236 View Post
    Resolving the situation as quickly as possible against Hel is favorable to stalling, so you're logic doesn't hold up.
    Last edited by Rrmcklin; 2019-09-09 at 11:06 PM.
    I'd just like to point out that saying that something unsupported is the case unless someone else can prove that it is not is an utter failure of logic. - Kish

27. - Top - End - #177
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Okay, loved the strip, as always, but I'm ALSO a complete dork, so...

sigh... I googled how much water a shower usually uses.

Evidently the average American shower uses 17.2 gallons, at a rate of 2.1 gallons per minute for about 8.2 minutes. (I admit I am very slow to get ready in the morning myself, so I definitely use more than that. There is certainly a wide margin for error there.)

The spell Create Water instantly creates 2 gallons of water per caster level. Given that it's never stated what level these high priests are, I can only theorize a window of between 13th and 18th level, assuming the Summon Proxy spell needed is between a 7th to 9th level spell and clerics of 19th or 20th level are extremely rare.

So with three castings of Create Water, the high priestess of Njord is currently dumping between 78 and 108 gallons of water in an 18-second span. Which I find extremely funny.

Now, this can easily be hand-waved away as "it's magic, it can work however the caster wants," so Njord's gnjome could easily just be trickling out three castings' worth of water over a much longer period of time. (Plus time spent bathing is probably more important than the volume of water overall--there's probably a threshold where the amount of water expelled at once becomes moot, so multiple castings would be necessary in any case.)

But I find it funnier to think Njord's priestess got one whiff of Skadi's and instantly decided to overdo it with the water.

But honestly it really doesn't matter, I only even care this much because I've actually pondered this exact use of Create Water in the recent past.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Dwarf in the Playground

Create Water seems very laborious...

Part of me is wondering if at some point there wasn't a scene involving conjured water elementals and hi-jinx.
    I like to art!

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rrmcklin View Post
    Resolving the situation as quickly as possible against Hel is favorable to stalling, so you're logic doesn't hold up.
    Given the votes already cast, it's quite possible that when they reconvene Hel wins if the issue is still on the table. The winning vote for her was cast at the same time the elder paused the meeting, and the rules say no backsies.

Better safe than sorry.

And mending won't do squat in any case, as the table weighs more than one pound.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    I thought vampires had to grapple to drink blood. Doesn’t a grapple count as an attack? Or can the target simply choose not to resist? If someone volunteers to donate blood, can they also volunteer not to press charges of assault, or could one of the other (non-assaulted) clerics object to the breach of rules on the victim’s behalf?

I guess we’ll find out.
    Summon Monster. Order it to be quiet. Drink the monster's blood. Dismiss the monster.

Even if we accept the claim that she's CE (though CN doesn't really have to care about the vampire either), Loki hates the undead. That said, it assumes she even understood that the mist was a vampire at the time - or that she'd be in a position to go after the vampire, who most likely went into hiding...
    Last edited by The_Weirdo; 2019-09-10 at 12:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    Weirdo... I'm not sure you're entirely clear on how an 'alliance' works.