The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
Results 211 to 240 of 506
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2009

    Default Re: OOTS #1179 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    You become High Priest when the relevant god tells you you're the high priest.
    What gives you that idea? At the Godsmoot we saw the original HPoH step down and appoint the new HPoH, without Hel saying anything about it.

  2. - Top - End - #212
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Feb 2017

    Default Re: OOTS #1179 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    What gives you that idea? At the Godsmoot we saw the original HPoH step down and appoint the new HPoH, without Hel saying anything about it.
    It could've been part of Hel's plan to give HPoH authority to redelegate the title, so her most useful clergy were free to leave.
    Other clergies with more established rules will work differently, because they're not two weeks old and have needed frameworks to stop random adventuring clerics declaring themselves High Priests just because they got 6th level spells.

  3. - Top - End - #213
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    WolfInSheepsClothing

    Join Date
    Dec 2018

    Default Re: OOTS #1179 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Well that's at least easily explainable; sorcerers get cast spontaneously, which is a pretty big boon, so they get their spell levels upgraded at one level later. And have a hard cap on how many spells they can know. And don't get any bonus feats. And are fluffed as inferior to wizards despite being born with the innate ability to create what wizards have to study in order to replicate. And still need material components despite having the innate ability to cast magic.

    So... Pathfinder Sorcerer, you say?
    I never got the trope that Sorcerers are seen are lesser than Wizards when they can cast from innate ability. I would've expected the opposite. I want to play a wizard who tries to pass themsellf off as a sorcerer.

  4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

    Default Re: OOTS #1179 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Given the votes already cast, it's quite possible that when they reconvene Hel wins if the issue is still on the table. The winning vote for her was cast at the same time the elder paused the meeting, and the rules say no backsies.

    Better safe than sorry.

    And mending won't do squat in any case, as the table weighs more than one pound.
    I don't think the last elder's vote counts, as it was interrupted by the pause in the meeting. It wasn't a "Yes" yet, it was at best a "Y-". Which could be "Yeaaaano!"

    Quote Originally Posted by Lupus Major View Post
    Hmm, I'm not too active on the forums, but did I miss them taking some action regarding the poor dude who got transported to the Plane of Infinite Painful Slopes?
    Perhaps Thad has a second chance at romance?

    Light the lamp not the rat LIGHT THE LAMP NOT THE RAT!!!

  5. - Top - End - #215
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Talion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2015

    Default Re: OOTS #1179 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I feel like having a hard cap is enough to balance the spontaneous casting, the rest makes the class seem really poorly balanced (correct me if it turns out that doesn’t matter all that much and the other stuff matters a lot).
    The short hand version: 3.5/Pathfinder Sorcerers are considered a "Tier 2" class. This means they're almost as good as you can get, in any hypothetical setup. They share the Wizard's spell list and have full spell caster progression (to level 9 spells, and Epic, etc). And, like the Wizard, a Sorcerer only 'needs' a single stat (their Charisma) to be fully effective, with anything else being a negligible penalty or icing on the cake for bonuses.

    However, a Wizard in the same editions are considered "Tier 1", mostly because of the aforementioned balance decisions by the game's creators. In theory, they're much more powerful than Sorcerers of the same effective optimization. In practice, this can range a bit wildly depending on campaign, play style, build, spells chosen and the availability of other spells, player experience, etc.

    Ultimately, they fill the same role in a party (ie the Arcane Spellcaster) and, so long as they don't make a point of spoiling each other's fun (or the fun of the other party members) it may not matter much on a group by group basis.

    For a more detailed explanation, you might want to look through the 3.5/Pathfinder section of the Roleplaying sub-forums here on the Playground.
    Last edited by Talion; 2019-09-10 at 10:32 AM.
    Avatar by the lovely and talented Linklele

  6. - Top - End - #216
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    WolfInSheepsClothing

    Join Date
    Dec 2018

    Default Re: OOTS #1179 - The Discussion Thread

    Isn't the main difference that wizards can typically fill many different roles with proper planning, whereas sorcerers have flexibility in executing their role but is limited in what roles they can actually fill due to restrictions on spells known?

  7. - Top - End - #217
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1179 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I feel like having a hard cap is enough to balance the spontaneous casting, the rest makes the class seem really poorly balanced (correct me if it turns out that doesn’t matter all that much and the other stuff matters a lot).
    Oh, I totally agree; the wizard is way more utilitarian, while the sorcerer is able to cast on the fly but from a significantly smaller pool, so that seems like a pretty good tradeoff. That said, I wouldn't completely discount also having the extra level required for a new spell level, because spontaneous casting is pretty powerful.

    Oh, also, even though wizards and sorcerers mostly share the same spell list, there are a few spells that are wizard only. Which I can understand, wizards do intense study and research and can try to invent new things. There are zero core spells that are sorcerer only, though, which I don't understand; there's a case to be made that some things can't be learned, but nope, wizards get a seat at the table and sorcs get the scraps that fall off the plate.

    I did like that 5e made metamagic a sorcerer-only thing; not that I think wizards shouldn't be able to, but it made a slightly clearer demarcation between the classes and gave extra flavor to the sorc, even if I think they still got the short end of the stick in 5e as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalFailure View Post
    I never got the trope that Sorcerers are seen are lesser than Wizards when they can cast from innate ability. I would've expected the opposite. I want to play a wizard who tries to pass themself off as a sorcerer.
    I actually played the opposite; I've done a Sorcerer who acted somewhat like a Wizard, spellbook and everything, under the idea that if he ever got captured, jailed, etc., that the opponents would believe that taking the spellbook and spell component pouch away would allow effective imprisonment. Also took Silent Spell and Still Spell feats, too; that was one paranoid caster, I tells ya.
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatars by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Spoiler: Avatar collection
    Show

    Spoiler: I'm the sun, I'm the sun
    Show
    Spoiler: I can move I can run
    Show
    Spoiler: But you'll never stop me burning
    Show

  8. - Top - End - #218
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2013

    Default Re: OOTS #1179 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    What gives you that idea? At the Godsmoot we saw the original HPoH step down and appoint the new HPoH, without Hel saying anything about it.
    Hel is cheating every chance she can. As Gontor said, prove otherwise.

    The rest comes from a conversation we had back when the Godsmoot first popped up. Malack was High Priest of Nergal. How did his replacement suddenly know he'd been promoted, and in time for the Western session of the Godsmoot?

  9. - Top - End - #219
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1179 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Hel is cheating every chance she can. As Gontor said, prove otherwise.

    The rest comes from a conversation we had back when the Godsmoot first popped up. Malack was High Priest of Nergal. How did his replacement suddenly know he'd been promoted, and in time for the Western session of the Godsmoot?
    How sure are you that Nergal was represented at the Western session of the Godsmoot?
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatars by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Spoiler: Avatar collection
    Show

    Spoiler: I'm the sun, I'm the sun
    Show
    Spoiler: I can move I can run
    Show
    Spoiler: But you'll never stop me burning
    Show

  10. - Top - End - #220
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2013

    Default Re: OOTS #1179 - The Discussion Thread

    Since some silver dragon looking guy identified one of the clerics as wearing the Nergal uniform, pretty confident.

  11. - Top - End - #221
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Talion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2015

    Default Re: OOTS #1179 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    How sure are you that Nergal was represented at the Western session of the Godsmoot?
    For that matter, how sure are we that Malak was Nergal's High Priest? He's been called "Minister Malak" a few times, once with a "Your Holiness", but I don't believe anyone specifically called him "High Priest" in any capacity.
    Avatar by the lovely and talented Linklele

  12. - Top - End - #222
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1179 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Since some silver dragon looking guy identified one of the clerics as wearing the Nergal uniform, pretty confident.
    Ah, sounds like someone who was no idea what they're talking about.
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatars by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Spoiler: Avatar collection
    Show

    Spoiler: I'm the sun, I'm the sun
    Show
    Spoiler: I can move I can run
    Show
    Spoiler: But you'll never stop me burning
    Show

  13. - Top - End - #223
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2013

    Default Re: OOTS #1179 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Talion View Post
    For that matter, how sure are we that Malak was Nergal's High Priest? He's been called "Minister Malak" a few times, once with a "Your Holiness", but I don't believe anyone specifically called him "High Priest" in any capacity.
    Tarquin and Malack both referred to him with that term, and they'd be in a position to know.

  14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Ruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1179 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    She.
    "That" is valid assuming its antecedent is the escape and not the vampire.

    Yes, I got here late enough that this is the only relevant comment I have.

  15. - Top - End - #225
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: OOTS #1179 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Ah, sounds like someone who was no idea what they're talking about.
    Honestly I think that you had no clue the first time, because I don’t see anyone who looks like they have Nergal’s clerics uniforms.
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

    Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    "A sufficiently big wedge of cheese is indistinguishable from an aircraft."

  16. - Top - End - #226
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1179 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    "That" is valid assuming its antecedent is the escape and not the vampire.

    Yes, I got here late enough that this is the only relevant comment I have.
    But then my joke makes no sense! Escapes cannot bite people!
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Forum Wisdom

  17. - Top - End - #227
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Jasdoif's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Oregon, USA

    Default Re: OOTS #1179 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Well that's at least easily explainable; sorcerers get cast spontaneously, which is a pretty big boon, so they get their spell levels upgraded at one level later. And have a hard cap on how many spells they can know. And don't get any bonus feats. And are fluffed as inferior to wizards despite being born with the innate ability to create what wizards have to study in order to replicate. And still need material components despite having the innate ability to cast magic.
    And have to spend more actions to apply metamagic when they cast, unlike wizards....And action economy is life-or-death (literally in some cases).

    I wholly get that spontaneous casting was a new concept, and that assuming mostly damage-dealing spells means the delayed access isn't as big a deal since most damage spells were d6-per-caster-level anyway....But it goes overboard counteracting the value of flexibility, like two different people had different ideas of how to balance it and both were implemented. And this is before considering the number of "highly effective for its spell level because it only works in niche cases" spells, which a wizard can simply leave it in a spellbook and only prepare when they need it while a sorcerer has to weigh it against any other spell of that level. A sorcerer is pounded (maybe even kiloed!) by opportunity costs.

  18. - Top - End - #228
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2014

    Default Re: OOTS #1179 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I actually played the opposite; I've done a Sorcerer who acted somewhat like a Wizard, spellbook and everything, under the idea that if he ever got captured, jailed, etc., that the opponents would believe that taking the spellbook and spell component pouch away would allow effective imprisonment. Also took Silent Spell and Still Spell feats, too; that was one paranoid caster, I tells ya.
    ...wouldn't that also require Eschew Materials, because sorcs still need the material components?

  19. - Top - End - #229
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    WolfInSheepsClothing

    Join Date
    Dec 2018

    Default Re: OOTS #1179 - The Discussion Thread

    I thought they got eschew materials as a class feature?

  20. - Top - End - #230
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2013

    Default Re: OOTS #1179 - The Discussion Thread

    Another case that D&D's magic system is a kludge, frankly. It probably needs a ground up rebuild each edition, but changing that is a major sacred cow.

  21. - Top - End - #231
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1179 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    Honestly I think that you had no clue the first time, because I don’t see anyone who looks like they have Nergal’s clerics uniforms.
    I don't even remember commenting on that, frankly. And looking back, yeah, I only see one cloaky guy and it doesn't look black.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    And have to spend more actions to apply metamagic when they cast, unlike wizards....And action economy is life-or-death (literally in some cases).
    "What's Quicken Spell" - every 3.5 sorcerer ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    ...wouldn't that also require Eschew Materials, because sorcs still need the material components?
    Yeah, for some reason I thought I'd said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalFailure View Post
    I thought they got eschew materials as a class feature?
    In Pathfinder, yes. D&D, no.
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatars by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Spoiler: Avatar collection
    Show

    Spoiler: I'm the sun, I'm the sun
    Show
    Spoiler: I can move I can run
    Show
    Spoiler: But you'll never stop me burning
    Show

  22. - Top - End - #232
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    WolfInSheepsClothing

    Join Date
    Dec 2018

    Default Re: OOTS #1179 - The Discussion Thread

    Oops I continue to not know D&D stuff.

    Speaking of metamagic I want to try playing a wizard with the sacred geometry feat (idk if it's in d&d but PF has it) but I don't know if I can actually do mental math on that fast enough to keep the GM from making a grapple check to strangle me.

  23. - Top - End - #233
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Jasdoif's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Oregon, USA

    Default Re: OOTS #1179 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    ...wouldn't that also require Eschew Materials, because sorcs still need the material components?
    Yeah, for some reason I thought I'd said that.
    And here I was ready to accept that you only chose spells without inexpensive material components, and used the feat slot for something else....
    Last edited by Jasdoif; 2019-09-10 at 11:59 AM.

  24. - Top - End - #234
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1179 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    And here I was ready to accept that you only chose spells without inexpensive material components, and used the feat slot for something else....
    To be fair, I didn't spend a feat slot but convinced the DM to give it to me free. I think the argument had something along the lines of "they have innate magic, how innate is 'by the way you need to chuck a little bat poop around, you do NOT want to know how the first sorcerer figured that out!'"
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-09-10 at 12:05 PM.
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatars by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Spoiler: Avatar collection
    Show

    Spoiler: I'm the sun, I'm the sun
    Show
    Spoiler: I can move I can run
    Show
    Spoiler: But you'll never stop me burning
    Show

  25. - Top - End - #235
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    jwhouk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Arizona USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1179 - The Discussion Thread

    Just as an aside: I suspect that we are back at the Godsmoot for one last reason, akin to what happened at the end of the last book:

    Something big is about to happen. And it involves someone at the Godsmoot.
    "Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
    Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.

  26. - Top - End - #236
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: OOTS #1179 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by jwhouk View Post
    Just as an aside: I suspect that we are back at the Godsmoot for one last reason, akin to what happened at the end of the last book:

    Something big is about to happen. And it involves someone at the Godsmoot.
    I doubt it, this seems much more like a cutaway panel.
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

    Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    "A sufficiently big wedge of cheese is indistinguishable from an aircraft."

  27. - Top - End - #237
    Orc in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Apr 2010

    Default Re: OOTS #1179 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by jwhouk View Post
    Just as an aside: I suspect that we are back at the Godsmoot for one last reason, akin to what happened at the end of the last book:

    Something big is about to happen. And it involves someone at the Godsmoot.
    Disagree. We're at the Godsmoot to explain why the clerics don't rush to help Roy (or Stop him for the "YES" voters).


    However, I will say the fact that everyone talk about how Curly isn't going to do anything meaningful means that she's going to do exactly that.


    We'll see her doing something for the next book.
    Still betting on her reaching out to Team Evil.

  28. - Top - End - #238
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    WolfInSheepsClothing

    Join Date
    Dec 2018

    Default Re: OOTS #1179 - The Discussion Thread

    Why would she reach out to Team Evil?

  29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1179 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalFailure View Post
    Why would she reach out to Team Evil?
    And why would Team Evil care if she did? Hel's aims do not align with theirs in any way.

  30. - Top - End - #240
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1179 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    And why would Team Evil care if she did? Hel's aims do not align with theirs in any way.
    Not to mention she's a speck of dust compared to them, power-wise
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatars by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Spoiler: Avatar collection
    Show

    Spoiler: I'm the sun, I'm the sun
    Show
    Spoiler: I can move I can run
    Show
    Spoiler: But you'll never stop me burning
    Show

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •