New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: OOTS #1179 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Not to mention she's a speck of dust compared to them, power-wise
    And neither party has a reason to know the other exists.

2. - Top - End - #242

So you all are saying the odds are a million to one?

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    But then my joke makes no sense! Escapes cannot bite people!
    Sorry, i think the double entendre was already in the original joke.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhouk View Post
    Something big is about to happen. And it involves someone at the Godsmoot.
    Think so too. But maybe not something highly plot relevant, more like an epilogue.

I myself look forward to see Durkon utter the word "Regenerate".

Quote Originally Posted by SlashDash View Post
    We'll see her doing something for the next book.
    Still betting on her reaching out to Team Evil.
    Oh yeah, that could be Hel's plan C. Reaching for Team Evil and helping them so to force the hands of the other gods.
    Que tous les anciens dieux et les nouveaux protègent la France.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

4. - Top - End - #244
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    So you all are saying the odds are a million to one?
    I'd say more like 3,720 to 1.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

5. - Top - End - #245

Knew I should've included a link to the strip instead of hoping people wouldn't go to Star Wars.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Knew I should've included a link to the strip instead of hoping people wouldn't go to Star Wars.
    A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

7. - Top - End - #247

A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one.
    It's been a whole <checks> three strips since we last derailed into Star Wars, we were overdue for it.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

8. - Top - End - #248

I thought our next derailment was Harry Potter, then supers, then Star Wars, and finally Pratchett?

9. - Top - End - #249

Quote Originally Posted by Petrocorus View Post
    I myself look forward to see Durkon utter the word "Regenerate".
    Hmm, yes, though he probably doesn't have that one ready yet. I don't see it as being a priority when he was preparing for battle, and he hasn't had a chance to do anything since the fight. "Ma, ye've done so much fer me an' ev'ryone else. Le' me do this fer you."

Since the "Heroes' Feast" has been mentioned, it'd be nice if Durkon set that up for everybody, including everyone on the Mechane. That would take care of the Sphinx Pox, perhaps without anyone even knowing that they'd been infected.

10. - Top - End - #250

I wouldn't be surprised if Durkon had prepared Regeneration before the fight. That's a healing spell that's very useful in several circumstances and which you can't convert another spell into. And if he doesn't need it one place, well, Sigdi's right there.

11. - Top - End - #251

I thought our next derailment was Harry Potter, then supers, then Star Wars, and finally Pratchett?
    We've already done Pratchett since then, they mentioned Superman a few times in Star Wars, I guess Harry Potter is next, so, unless we want to summon another Mary Sue discussion, this time about Harry Potter (the last HP discussion came from that, though I don't remember if it was from a main thread, it came from Deuterio but I also don't remember if he was actually arguing that), how about that Snape guy?
    Show

I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

12. - Top - End - #252
    Barbarian in the Playground

And if that fails, Ruck and Peelee could discuss AP Bio.
    Stop using good evidence and logic that makes sense to refute points, that's my job
    Lots of people seem to use blue for sarcasm, I decided I should too
    Quote Originally Posted by nabcif View Post
    Nitpick: I believe you'll find that only our heads explode. Page 43 of Book of Pedantic Forumites, if memory serves.
    I have joined the ranks of the FFRPeople Here is my character.

Thank you to Linkele for creating my avatar!

13. - Top - End - #253
    Orc in the Playground

how about that Snape guy?
    Snape's redemption didn't really work for me. Dude was still a massive jerk to a ton of kids who had nothing to do with his high school crush. Plus other reasons that I personally don't feel like getting into, but which I'm sure someone else would love to talk about since I left it open.

14. - Top - End - #254

Quote Originally Posted by HorizonWalker View Post
    Snape's redemption didn't really work for me. Dude was still a massive jerk to a ton of kids who had nothing to do with his high school crush. Plus other reasons that I personally don't feel like getting into, but which I'm sure someone else would love to talk about since I left it open.
    Holy crap, how the f did that work!?
    Show

15. - Top - End - #255

WolfInSheepsClothing

Love cleanses even the greasiest among us, apparently.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ettin in the Playground

One of these days the derailment will be on a topic of my interests. *sniff*

17. - Top - End - #257
    Orc in the Playground

Because we've run out of things to say about the comic by now and I feel like talking about Harry Potter right now. I'm aware of what you were doing, I just don't care enough to not "fall for it." I'm gonna talk about Harry Potter now and nobody can stop me.

Neville's greatest fear in 3rd year was Snape and that was a Red Flipping Flag, folks.

18. - Top - End - #258

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    One of these days the derailment will be on a topic of my interests. *sniff*
    What are your interests?

19. - Top - End - #259

All this talk of sorcerers and wizards and pathfinder and no one mentions my favorite arcane caster ever, the arcanist. They're basically what would happen if wizards and sorcerers had a baby and it's great. They prepare from spellbooks but cast spontaneously from the prepared spells (so basically a sorcerer that can change their spell selection every day) and get a unique feature called 'arcane exploits' as if they're some kind of hacker finding loopholes in reality.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RatElemental View Post
    All this talk of sorcerers and wizards and pathfinder and no one mentions my favorite arcane caster ever, the arcanist. They're basically what would happen if wizards and sorcerers had a baby and it's great. They prepare from spellbooks but cast spontaneously from the prepared spells (so basically a sorcerer that can change their spell selection every day) and get a unique feature called 'arcane exploits' as if they're some kind of hacker finding loopholes in reality.
    So...a wizard-y Spirit Shaman? (Or a 5e wizard?)
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

21. - Top - End - #261

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    So...a wizard-y Spirit Shaman? (Or a 5e wizard?)
    I'm not very versed in 5e, but in pathfinder a wizard-y spirit shaman would fall under witch, oracle, or one of the occult classes. Or the actual shaman class which is a mix of witch and oracle.

22. - Top - End - #262

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by RatElemental View Post
    I have never played nor played with an Arcanist but it sounds like a cool class.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

It's been a whole <checks> three strips since we last derailed into Star Wars, we were overdue for it.
    I'm pretty sure Star Wars gets at least mentioned in every single strip discussion thread.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, also, even though wizards and sorcerers mostly share the same spell list, there are a few spells that are wizard only. Which I can understand, wizards do intense study and research and can try to invent new things. There are zero core spells that are sorcerer only, though, which I don't understand; there's a case to be made that some things can't be learned, but nope, wizards get a seat at the table and sorcs get the scraps that fall off the plate.
    The ones that I remember that were Wizards only were the ones that had to deal with manipulating memorized spells, something a sorcerer would have no need of doing.

I actually played the opposite; I've done a Sorcerer who acted somewhat like a Wizard, spellbook and everything, under the idea that if he ever got captured, jailed, etc., that the opponents would believe that taking the spellbook and spell component pouch away would allow effective imprisonment. Also took Silent Spell and Still Spell feats, too; that was one paranoid caster, I tells ya.
    I didn't go so far as the fake spell book, but I did like Sorcerer for the idea that he couldn't have his power taken away as easily as the wizard.

But that's like +2 spell level for those spells at that point man. Yeah Sorcerers get more slots but that's still pretty brutal.

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    ...wouldn't that also require Eschew Materials, because sorcs still need the material components?
    + 3 Spell levels...

"What's Quicken Spell" - every 3.5 sorcerer ever.
    Hey if you made it to Epic you could get a Feat that Auto-quickens your spells. Which because it's not applying metamagic feat to them so much as just permanently quick-ing all your spells, let you actually cast quickened spells!! You had to "waste" a slot on Quicken Spell though.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

25. - Top - End - #265

Quote Originally Posted by HorizonWalker View Post
    Because we've run out of things to say about the comic by now and I feel like talking about Harry Potter right now. I'm aware of what you were doing, I just don't care enough to not "fall for it." I'm gonna talk about Harry Potter now and nobody can stop me.

Neville's greatest fear in 3rd year was Snape and that was a Red Flipping Flag, folks.
    Eh, I don't really care and I'll gladly converse with you, I'm just surprised this worked and the Miko stuff I've done a couple times didn't.

As for Snape, in-text he was a pretty interesting character, not Good by any means, probably not Neutral either, but as a bad person who ends up helping the good guys he's pretty interesting, J.K. Rowling apparently had no intention of doing that but I'll gladly invoke Death of the Author and ignore her goals (which she failed at in regards to Snape) so I can enjoy the story better.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #266

We've already done Pratchett
    And mangoes in syrup.

We done oranges, apples, grapefruits — whole and segments — pomegranates, greengages, ...
    The Giant says: Yes, I am aware TV Tropes exists as a website. ... No, I have never decided to do something in the comic because it was listed on TV Tropes. I don't use it as a checklist for ideas ... and I have never intentionally referenced it in any way.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Pilgrim View Post
    I'm pretty sure Star Wars gets at least mentioned in every single strip discussion thread.
    Well yes, but that's a constant much like Miko, various alignment discussions, and generic arguments.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

28. - Top - End - #268

WolfInSheepsClothing

It's surprising how intense people can get about Miko. She's a cool character tho

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    Well yes, but that's a constant much like Miko, various alignment discussions, and generic arguments.
    And Familicide. Let's not forget about Familicide.

30. - Top - End - #270

Quote Originally Posted by The Pilgrim View Post
    And Familicide. Let's not forget about Familicide.
    And Tarquin, and whatever character we're mad about right now (so, Hilgya right now, though we may return to Bandana/Andi next book).

EDIT: And discussing how much we bring up all these things, that's pretty common too.
    Last edited by Schroeswald; 2019-09-10 at 07:15 PM.
    Show