The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Star Wars SAGA OoC

Begin your discussion.
    Current games:
    The Sunless Citadel
    Blade of the Four Fallen
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodbyeSoberDay
    I think this teaches us a valuable lesson. At bizarrely low levels of optimization, the tier system disappears. In its place is the "we can't even beat CR=ECL-5 foes" system.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Star Wars SAGA OoC

Miri Trace, Human Scoundrel

Character Sheet

Appearance: Miri is a young human woman of slender build and average height with large green eyes and dark hair, generally styled in a bob. Her most common outfit is a dark, close fitting flight suit with white-blue luminescent striping.

Personality: Miri is from one of the Core worlds and despite her best efforts has never managed to shed the accent or the mannerisms. This gives some in the likes of Nar Shaddaa or Mos Eisley the idea that she is some airbrained socialite playing at slumming it. This invariably ends poorly for those who see her as soft or naive - Miri is pretty good with a blaster and is not so refined she won't deliver a kick to the more sensitive areas in a Cantina brawl.

Actually unless someone brings up her supposedly privileged background or mocks her abilities Miri is pretty friendly. She is a part time con woman (sometimes seeming like a Corsucanti princess can be helpful...), gambler, smuggler and shipjacker. Like many in the fringe trade she can be cocky and overly certain of her skills (which she does have.) One of her first jobs after running away from home and a family marriage that looked all the more unappetising as she drew closer to it, was on a spice freighter and she picked up a lot of the Smuggler's Code from her mentor a wily Balosar woman named Captain Bah'graza. As much as Miri would bristle at being called idealistic or naive she does have a bit of a romantic idea of smugglers as an intergalactic brotherhood and sisterhood.

So what does a nice-ish girl from the Core want out of life in the hives of scum and villainy? Credits would be very nice, adventure even nicer but freedom would be the sweetest thing of all. Breaking out of a comfortable but stifling childhood left Miri with a passion to see the universe and be answerable to no one. If she can find some like minded comrades all the better!

Speaking in Green.
    Last edited by RossN; 2019-09-09 at 09:33 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

DrowGirl

KD85-CG46-IT29-CZ1X aka Z1X or Zix

Speaking in Teal
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Ok, guys! What will you be naming your ship? You have 150,000 credits as ship funds.
    Last edited by Vrock Bait; 2019-09-09 at 10:35 PM.
    Current games:
    The Sunless Citadel
    Blade of the Four Fallen
    I think this teaches us a valuable lesson. At bizarrely low levels of optimization, the tier system disappears. In its place is the "we can't even beat CR=ECL-5 foes" system.

5. - Top - End - #5

DrowGirl

I like the following:

A heavily modified Dynamic-class freighter, a relic from an older time. Also fond memories of the old video game.
    Specification Sheet, 80,000 new (if it is possible to get one new?) 30,000 used

A used ILH-KK Citadel
    Specification Sheet, 120,000 used
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

6. - Top - End - #6

WolfInSheepsClothing

Secles Dorne

Appearance:
    Secles is quite tall for a Sluissi at over two meters when he pulls himself upright. His skin is mottled green and brown, and he has piercing green eyes. He generally wears a poncho over his battered and much-repaired shipsuit. With a blaster at his side and a bandolier of grenades across his chest, this Sluissi is clearly no one to be trifled with.

Personality:
    Secles is cynical and a pessimist. Betrayed by the cause he dedicated himself to, he manages to cope by drinking too much and immersing himself in mechanical problems.

Backstory:
    Secles was a kid who joined the CIS to fight for a better Galaxy, only to realize too late that while he thought he was fighting for freedom from a tyrranical Republic, he was actually defending some Megacorps' tax exemptions. The final defeat of the CIS, and the warcrimes that came out in the aftermath, completed his disillusionment. He's sort of drifted ever since, working odd jobs that let him leverage his mechanical aptitude. Whatever credits he makes he tends to spend on drink and the occasional evening's companionship.

His most recent misadventure led him to discover that his erstwhile employer, Jax Rutil, was running slaves for the Hutts. He joined up with the crew so he could get off Corellia in a hurry, and he's stuck around since then.

He speaks in Blue.
    Last edited by Spiritus; 2019-09-10 at 01:56 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7

WolfInSheepsClothing

I'd prefer a simple YT-1300, honestly.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Ohh, I like the Dynamic-class but in-universe it is 3000 years old so it might be a stretch to own one.

A ILH-KK Citadel has the advantage of being a better ship out of the gate while the YT-1300 has the advantage of being less conspicuous, much cheaper and easily modifiable. I could go either way to be honest though if we can start with modifications I'd probably go with the light freighter.

Also potential names:

Brooding Bantha

Crazy Nexu

Drunken Dewback

Idiot's Array (a high value Sabacc hand)

Kessel Runner

Void Dreamer

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RossN View Post
    Ohh, I like the Dynamic-class but in-universe it is 3000 years old so it might be a stretch to own one.

A ILH-KK Citadel has the advantage of being a better ship out of the gate while the YT-1300 has the advantage of being less conspicuous, much cheaper and easily modifiable. I could go either way to be honest though if we can start with modifications I'd probably go with the light freighter.

Also potential names:

Brooding Bantha

Crazy Nexu

Drunken Dewback

Kessel Runner

Void Dreamer
    You could have a heavily modified one, and say it was because of these modifications it is still running.
    Current games:
    The Sunless Citadel
    Blade of the Four Fallen

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Opal Metas will speak in dark green.

Appearance: A petite young woman wearing an engineer's cap and small goggles, fatigue vest, fingerless gloves and cargo pants (all of them dark gray and slate green, she is often, if not always, seen with a strange musical contraption on her back vaguely resembling a keytar. She has a tendency to wear the goggles over her eyes, like a mask, and as such her green eyes and tousled red-brown hair often go unnoticed.

Her lightsaber (hidden in her boot or in a belt pouch) has a studded grip wrapped in dark gold and black leather bands like an ancestral sword; a warrior weapon that seems a poor fit for her.

Personality: A warrior poet, Opal is friendly and polite, an eager little cadet, but has some inner conflicts between her musical nature and the deeply rooted Jedi training she's been conditioned with, unsure if giving herself to (a seemingly harmless) passion is safe. She is also haunted by the Jedi Purge and seems a bit directionless on how to confront the problem.

History:
    Opal has the distinction of being trained by two masters. And like the old saying goes, one cannot serve them both...

An orphan discovered using the Force to move wind chimes for her own amusement, Opal was initially a poor student, unable to hone her powers through orthodox teachings. The came along old Master Donoman Lyru, who taught her meditative techniques through musical practices that helped her conceive the truth of her powers and from there she took to the Jedi training like a fish to water. However, she was not Lyru's padawan for very long; he was very old and managed to pass away from sickness/natural causes before the end of the Clone wars, almost a rare feat in and of itself. Opal's natural aptitude for a saber was noticed by the more militant and strategist Jedi Knight Illsae Kron; she was a longtime friend of Lyru despite their differences and took on the obligation of finishing Opal's training...though it can be inferred she wanted a pupil she could mold into a fine fencer just as much as her altruistic reasons for taking in Opal.

Opal did not enjoy her time with Kron as much as her former master, but she was adaptive at learning and was superficially the student Kron desired, though her heart had discovered the joys of music and would remain that way. During Order 66, Kron and she were cornered and Kron thrust her lightsaber into Opal's hands and under protest force launched her over a wall to safety before making her last stand. Opal managed to escape and (much to her displeasure) easily threw off most of the trappings of a jedi, adapting a traveling musician/porter identity. No robes, no overt use of her powers. Just another vagabond with an instrument. At some point she was discovered and befriended by one Miri trace, and for over a year the two have become fast friends.... not to mention employed in the Rebellion.

Still working on her inventory, but the bulk of the sheet was done. I have a few questions, though:

1. Can Force Training be added to the bonus feat list under the Jedi Class? It seems kinda dumb for it not to be.
    2. Opal is pretty young, but how long ago *was* the Jedi Purge and in fact what part of the Saga's timeline are we in? before Yavin? After?
    3. I'm going to come up with a price for her instrument, gonna wedge a personal computer into a keytar deal, but are Masterwork items a thing? Can I blow extra money on it to get a skill bonus?

Also, RossN, I'm going with an assumption Miri and Opal met about a year ago and are friends, if not almost-besties. Miri is the kind of person Opal needs for support given the givens of what she's been through.
    Last edited by tonberryking; 2019-09-10 at 10:40 AM.
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

11. - Top - End - #11

WolfInSheepsClothing

Also potential names:

Brooding Bantha

Crazy Nexu

Drunken Dewback

Kessel Runner

Void Dreamer
    I like Idiot's Array for a name. And although the Citadel is a better ship out of the gate, you need a lot more people to take advantage of that. It has what, four different turrets? And I think Rina is the only one of us actually proficient in vehicle weapons, unless we get a crew. Although the YT has that problem too, if to a lesser degree... Hmmm.
    Last edited by Spiritus; 2019-09-10 at 12:18 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vrock Bait View Post
    You could have a heavily modified one, and say it was because of these modifications it is still running.
    That could work.

The specific attraction of the YT-1300 is that it is cheap - a used YT-1300 is 5,000 credits less than a used Dynamic-class while being a similar or slightly better ship out of the gate (it is faster in hyperspace and slightly tougher compared with the Dynamic-class being slightly better armed.)

If we do go with a YT-1300 I'd want someway to make it distinctive looking and ours - at least a different coat of paint!

Maybe purple or green?

Quote Originally Posted by tonberryking View Post
    Also, RossN, I'm going with an assumption Miri and Opal met about a year ago and are friends, if not almost-besties. Miri is the kind of person Opal needs for support given the givens of what she's been through.
    I'd also like to know what year we are set.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritus View Post
    I like Idiot's Array for a name. And although the Citadel is a better ship out of the gate, you need a lot more people to take advantage of that. It has what, four different turrets? And I think Rina is the only one of us actually proficient in vehicle weapons, unless we get a crew. Although the YT has that problem too, if to a lesser degree... Hmmm.
    True.

I like Idiot's Array too. Nicely self-deprecating!
    Last edited by RossN; 2019-09-10 at 12:48 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

I'm kinda down with the oldest space ship if only thematically, but how many of the PCs can pilot and or use defense turrets? It feels like given our group we may need whatever's fastest/least conspicuous...
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm kinda down with the oldest space ship if only thematically, but how many of the PCs can pilot and or use defense turrets? It feels like given our group we may need whatever's fastest/least conspicuous...
    Miri has Pilot (at +9) and the Vehicular Combat feat, though I think most (or all) of the ships we are looking need gunners. Modifications might introduce different weapons though.

If we are looking at older ships I quite like the XS Stock Light Freighter from Star Wars the Old Republic. Unfortunately I don't think it has any SAGA stats.

15. - Top - End - #15

WolfInSheepsClothing

Miri has Pilot (at +9) and the Vehicular Combat feat, though I think most (or all) of the ships we are looking need gunners. Modifications might introduce different weapons though.

If we are looking at older ships I quite like the XS Stock Light Freighter from Star Wars the Old Republic. Unfortunately I don't think it has any SAGA stats.
    Yeah, and Gunners need proficiency with heavy weapons, which to my knowledge none of us have. We could always say we have a couple of NPC Gunners available?

On the ship comparison, the Dynamic doesn't actually have any shields out of the gate, which I don't like. Plus, as you said, the YT being a third faster in hyperspace.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritus View Post
    Yeah, and Gunners need proficiency with heavy weapons, which to my knowledge none of us have. We could always say we have a couple of NPC Gunners available?
    Sheesh, I hadn't realised that before.

I have to say I think the rules are definitely far too strict there; unless I double class into Soldier my Scoundrel can't even learn to shoot her own ships guns no matter how long she spends in space. That's not good.

On the ship comparison, the Dynamic doesn't actually have any shields out of the gate, which I don't like. Plus, as you said, the YT being a third faster in hyperspace.
    True.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

https://i.redd.it/42sn4s3n2tv21.jpg <-- I like this YT design myself; it helps to picture the ship this way with whatever color scheme so we're not JUST in the Falcon.

Or this one --> https://66.media.tumblr.com/6637aeae...rjdxqs_500.jpg

Honestly though, I could give Opal the necessary feat for being the ship's gunner... I think? It could be her third level feat and I can opt out of Strong in the force to move her Skill focus feat to a Jedi bonus one.

I mean, she isn't doing anything else on a spaceship other than play keytar and meditate...
    Last edited by tonberryking; 2019-09-10 at 02:10 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh I like those tonberryking! Can you find any deckplans for either look?

I can drop the Quick Draw feat in favour of Weapon Proficiency (Heavy Weapons) as one of my starting feats. Yes Quick Draw is neat but I do really want Miri to be able to work our ship's guns. Besides I don't want Opal to sacrifice some of her Jediness.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

I'm combing through GIS for floor plans... And honestly, I don't mind doing this.

Strong in the force only changes the dice by one level and I can get it back next level, and besides, Opal really can't do anything on a space ship otherwise? And given that she's been personally groomed by her second master to be a warrior, it makes sense for her to know how to fire a ship's gun. ...Or a tripoded canon she force levitates over to our side in a fire fight and starts unloading at the enemy.

I'm 100% okay with taking this feat; I kinda want to now, after saying that last sentence out loud, too.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tonberryking
    1. Can Force Training be added to the bonus feat list under the Jedi Class? It seems kinda dumb for it not to be.
    2. Opal is pretty young, but how long ago *was* the Jedi Purge and in fact what part of the Saga's timeline are we in? before Yavin? After?
    3. I'm going to come up with a price for her instrument, gonna wedge a personal computer into a keytar deal, but are Masterwork items a thing? Can I blow extra money on it to get a skill bonus?
    1. Yes. It is dumb.
    2. About a few years ago, and Inqusitors are still searching for a Jedi.
    3. Sure, why not.
    Current games:
    The Sunless Citadel
    Blade of the Four Fallen

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

https://i.redd.it/42sn4s3n2tv21.jpg <-- I like this YT design myself; it helps to picture the ship this way with whatever color scheme so we're not JUST in the Falcon.

Or this one --> https://66.media.tumblr.com/6637aeae...rjdxqs_500.jpg

Honestly though, I could give Opal the necessary feat for being the ship's gunner... I think? It could be her third level feat and I can opt out of Strong in the force to move her Skill focus feat to a Jedi bonus one.

I mean, she isn't doing anything else on a spaceship other than play keytar and meditate...
    Those are actually YT-2000s, which are also nice.
    Edit: the second one is actually an ancestor of the modern YT line, I forgot its name.
    Last edited by Vrock Bait; 2019-09-10 at 02:30 PM.
    Current games:
    The Sunless Citadel
    Blade of the Four Fallen

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Okay, so: https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/...20120414145130 <-- This is the YT-1300 (freighter) floor plan, and looking at the wookiepedia, it says that the two designs I linked were limited run ships based off the basic 1300. I think we can assume that the only difference in layout is that the cockpit and passageway are in the center of the starcraft; otherwise it's the same as this freighter.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Also... do Jedi have *any* armor proficiency? I was gonna grab a blast vest/helmet, but ...please tell me I don't have to pay for that as a feat...

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Okay I'm happy to have Opal as our chief gunner, though I still think I'll swap out Quick Draw for Weapon Proficiency just in case we get pilot controlled weapons.

I'm happy to go with this https://i.redd.it/42sn4s3n2tv21.jpg for the Idiot's Array then if everyone agrees - I even like the colouring.

So... do we buy used and modify and risk getting a potentially very unreliable ship (and potentially other complications) or do we go factory fresh?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Eh. Let's go with used; as long as it doesn't result in TPK it makes things more interesting.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

GM Note: You can modify it later if someone takes both Scavenger and (edit) Starship Designer.
    Last edited by Vrock Bait; 2019-09-10 at 03:15 PM.
    Current games:
    The Sunless Citadel
    Blade of the Four Fallen

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Okay, cool.

Idiot's Array

Spoiler
    Show
    Corellian YT-1300 Transport Statistics (CL 6) Edit
    Colossal Space Transport

Initiative: -5; Senses: Perception +5

Defense Edit
    Reflex Defense: 12 (Flat-Footed 12), Fortitude Defense: 26; +12 Armor

Hit Points: 120; Damage Reduction: 15; Damage Threshold: 76

Offense Edit
    Speed: Fly 12 Squares (Character Scale), Fly 2 Squares (Starship Scale); (Maximum Velocity 800 km/h)

Ranged: Laser Cannon +2 (See Below)

Fighting Space: 12x12 Squares (Character Scale), 1 Square (Starship Scale); Total Cover

Base Attack Bonus: +0; Grapple: +36

Abilities Edit
    Strength: 42, Dexterity: 10, Constitution: -, Intelligence: 14

Skills: Initiative -5, Mechanics +5, Perception +5, Pilot -5, Use Computer +5

Ship Statistics Edit
    Crew: 2 (Normal Crew Quality); Passengers: 6

Cargo: 100 Tons; Consumables: 2 Months; Carried Craft: None

Hyperdrive: Class 2 (Backup Class 12), Navicomputer

Availability: Licensed; Cost: 100,000 (25,000 Used)

Weapon Systems Edit
    Laser Cannon (Gunner) Edit
    Attack Bonus: +2, Damage: 4d10x2
    Last edited by RossN; 2019-09-10 at 03:11 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

If you’re going with used, what mods do you want? I recommend Smuggler’s Compartments and a some more weaponry, but your call.
    Current games:
    The Sunless Citadel
    Blade of the Four Fallen

29. - Top - End - #29

DrowGirl

I cannot post much now, middle of work day, but having a beat up freighter named after a poker hand is the least subtle thing I can think of. It is like having a giant neon sign saying we are up to no good and have illegal cargo.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

You know, that is kind of a good point...

Maybe if we were named after a holochess move or something, that wouldn't be on the nose, but we would need to keep a low profile...