New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Thoughts on the Shaman (homebrew) class?

Hey everyone. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with Pattycakeee's Shaman class for 5e?

If you have, what are your thoughts on the class?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: Thoughts on the Shaman (homebrew) class?

Didn't read it too closely and there are a lot of "boons" to unpack, but here are some thoughts:

1. Under the Journey of Wrath Archtype, the ability "wrathful step" just screams cheese. Maybe someone with more a mind for that kinda stuff has some ideas but it could be potentially abused.

2. Also for the Journey of Harmony Archtype, the level three feature is underwhelming. Journey of Wrath gets martial weapon proficiency and "Spirit Sap", while Harmony gets more boon options that aren't even more enticing than the big base list. Even if they were better, that would just substitute a feature they already have instead of getting a new feature. The extra cantrip is nice, but I'd sub the other thing with something a little better.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Thoughts on the Shaman (homebrew) class?

As for the wrathful step ability, it is a worse version of the Nomad Order Mystic (I know it's UA) level 14 ability, because you have to move 10 feet before you can use it, leaving most characters 20 feet of teleportation.

I agree with the other one, what do you think about instead of giving access to the unique boons, you get to choose one of the unique ones at level 3 in addition to the other boons it has? That way you actually get an additional thing rather than just new options for something you already had, bringing it more in line with the Journey of Wrath.

I wonder what the intended function of Boon of Endurance is, considering it gives a spirit animal proficiency in a saving throw of your choice, but spirit animals already have proficiency in all saving throws.