New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Did magic caster ever get a fire devoted PrC?

I know Psionic got the pyrokineticist, magic has the frost mage and the argent savant in terms of elemental specialization, but what about fire?

classes that specialize in a fire spell, like some theoretical fireball mage class count, classes that CAN specialize in fire but have other options (I.e. elemental savant) aren't what i'm looking for.

Also if you know of any feats that reward fire mages (I.e. searing spell) that'd be nice to know as well.

I just think it's weird that fire has possibly the iconic DnD spell (fireball) in it's collection while also having the least specific supports.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Did magic caster ever get a fire devoted PrC?

The closest I can think of is the Disciple of Mephistopheles, but that is a terrible, terrible class. As in, gets no spellcasting but a bonus to caster level.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Well, there's Silver Pyromancer that's heavily fire-based, plus other fluff.

Also, Sanctified One of Kord has an ability that specifically affects only fire spells.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Jade Phoenix Mage. Fire-themed, mostly, but it's a dual progression martial initiator/arcane spellcaster, so might be complicated for people not used to ToB.

It has access to Desert Wind maneuvers (which are fire-themed martial maneuvers, AKA pseudo 'spells'), the (Su) ability Firebird Stance (+3 to caster level for [Fire] spells when active. [Though that part mostly just makes up the CL lost for dipping a martial initiator class, unless you use early entries] Also can expend a spell slot to activate a damaging fire aura that scales with the spell slot level), and the (Sp) capstone ability Emerald Immolation ('suicide' firebomb, but user reforms 1d6 rounds later healed of all damage and some conditions). The JPM also gains access to Empowering Strike and Quickening Strike, which can 1/encounter apply those metamagics to spells for free (if the JPM hits with a martial strike first).

This is put to good effect for Chifari's King of Combustion JPM build, basically (IIRC) involving a highly metamagicked Combust spell. Sadly though it was hosted on gleemax, which is down, and the replacement thread on enworld isn't available either.

--

As for feats and other features, there is this blog article, which contain many examples of how to minmax 'fire' damage ('fire' is in quotes because some of them swap out fire for another form of damage like divine). Some of the examples listed (like the Incantatrix PrC) have 'general' benefits and aren't limited to [Fire] spells only, but are nonetheless useful for builds trying to minmax fire.
    Last edited by NNescio; 2019-09-11 at 03:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    GitP: The only place where D&D and Cantorian Set Theory combine. Also a place of madness, and small fairy cakes.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Not a PrC but there are ways to optimise Fire Damage dealing;

Searing Spell metamagic allows you to deal half damage to targets imune to fire. +1 metamagic

Energy Substitution can change any spell with an energy descriptor into a Fire spell. +0 metamagic (archmage PrC does it better though... You may want this if you intend to get energy admixture)

True Casting+Assey Spell Resistance should negate any SR the opponent has.

in case it doesn't (High Optimisation or Epic Levels are usually assumed to meet something that a neat +20 is not enough to bypass it's SR) you can always get Orb of X spells.

From there with some metamagic cost reduction or alternative payment you can have a maximised energy admixtured fireball with a base damage=Your caster level +3 in d6(Reserves of Strength) and a neat +20 against SR that can even burn a Fire Elemental to death.

What else could you possibly want for Fire optimisation?

Please visit and review my System.
    Generalist Sorcerer

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Asmotherion View Post
    I know you can optimize it, I was just surprised it had no specific PrC support. A frost mage can do almost the same things (with the exception of hurt a cold elemental) with a similar build, and take lord of the uttercold if they so choose.
    Last edited by Voidstar01; 2019-09-11 at 08:52 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

Elemental Archon from forgotten realms lets you pick an element, gain powers and minions based on it and capstone transform into an elemental permanently. 7/10 casting for divine magi.

8. - Top - End - #8

Elemental Savant (Complete Arcane)- you pick your elemental type (fire in this case) and slowly become a elemental, 8/10 caster level progression.

Domain Wizards from Unearthed Arcana could pick their fire domain I guess (it's a wizard as normal though so 10/10 caster progression)

Jade Phoenix Mage, aka the Wizard/ToB Theurge Class is firery as it's phoenixy, and culminates in you exploding in a big blob of flame that instantly heals you of all damage and most effects, 1/week. 8/10 caster level progression (plus account for lost levels ToB classes damage your caster progression).
    OI YOU! Join this one Discord where people talk 3.5 stuff! Also chicken infested related things! It’s pretty rad! https://discord.gg/6HmgXhUZ

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

There's no reason the frost mage can't easily be adapted into a fire mage.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    There's no reason the frost mage can't easily be adapted into a fire mage.
    I'm not so much looking for a class to as much as interested if they got official material supporting them

11. - Top - End - #11

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Asmotherion View Post
    Blistering Spell, combined with your Searing Spell, so fire immune creatures take even more fire damage.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Elemental Savant, from Complete Arcane. Or really just any PrC that improves spell damage in some way, coupled with Energy Substitution[Fire].

Combine with Searing Spell from Sandstorm?
    Awesome avatar by Iron Penguin!

Signature of Holding

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Funnily enough, the best way to make a fire mage is by going full Incantatar instead. The Mailman's best spells are commonly fire-based as well, and stacking metamagic can take them to a whole new level of pain.
    Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    Honestly the fastest way to make a paladin fall is to cast the grease spell or to trip the paladin.

14. - Top - End - #14

EvilClericGuy

Oh, and Fiery Spell for EVEN MOAR damage!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MisterKaws View Post
    Funnily enough, the best way to make a fire mage is by going full Incantatar instead. The Mailman's best spells are commonly fire-based as well, and stacking metamagic can take them to a whole new level of pain.
    Well to be completely honest here... is there anything the incantatrix doesn't turn up to 11? :P

Please visit and review my System.
    Generalist Sorcerer