The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Replacement GM needed for “Crypt of the Everflame”

We were about to start a game an the GM had to cancel last minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhentarim View Post
    After thinking about it a while, my druid made more sense as an oracle.

Spoiler: Zion Watchtower
    Show

Zion Watchtower
    Human Oracle

Spoiler: Backstory
    Show
    In a village named Kassen, there was born an innocent girl named Zion Watchtower with a birthmark on her forehead that strongly resembled a pentagram used by diabolists, but since she was born in the nation called Nirmathas, and since diabolism is frowned upon there, other girls bullied her. Adults were nicer to Zion, so she spent her time working up at the local church of Erastil under the mentorship of the priest named Father Rantal Prasst. She worked with him alongside other acolytes who served either Erastil or other allied faiths like Sarenrae, Iomedae, or Cayden Cailean. Together they tended not just the church, but the adjacent crematorium, adjacent graveyard, and adjacent mausoleum as well. One day Zion had just got home when some mean girls tried to ambush her. She ran back to the church and thought the crematorium would be a good place to hide since Zion was a physically weak and clumsy girl, and though she had managed to charm some of the village through strength of personality, these were girls who never liked Zion and she knew they would try to hurt her. One of the bullies, possessed by a bloodthirsty rage, saw the crematorium door closing, and the bully ran over and locked the door and started the flames. Zion was mortified as she heard the girls laughing and running away. Zion called out for anybody to help her, but her pleas for help turned to screams of agony as her arms began to burn and blacken. Suddenly, Zion heard a voice saying “I’ll help you for a price,” and Zion immediately replied “Yes, any price I’ll pay! Help me!”. Suddenly, Zion heard devilish laughter. Though her arms and most of her body remain blackened and stiff to this day, at that point, Zion no longer felt the pain of the flames. “There, you are resistant to fire and you have the power to get yourself the help you need, now. Just focus your mind on the on the mausoleum and you can summon help every day as you need to. Thank you for the soul and I’ll leave you with a parting gift.” Zion kicked the door of the crematorium and found it was still locked. After concentrating a moment, she heard one of the mausoleum doors unlocking and a sound like a coffin being opened and emptied of its contents. A few moments after she heard the thud, she heard shuffling and groans. Zion did and the voice told her and concentrated her thoughts on the mausoleum, hoping to escape before whatever “parting gift” the voice left her decided to eat her. No sooner did Zion focus her will than did the moaning grow louder. She heard the lock to the crematorium being fumbled with over the sound of the crackling flames. The door opened and Zion screamed because there was a hideous zombie staring back at her. It did not attack her, however, instead helping her out of the crematorium. Zion, still in shock, stood there locked in gaze with her unlikely savior for a while before she told the zombie to go away, and it shambled away without much fanfare. A year passed and now the annual coming of age ceremony to retrieve the Everflame from the Crypt of the Everflame is here. Given her injuries, Father Rantal Prasst doesn’t want her to go, but Zion insists, as she wants to finally prove herself as a woman.

Spoiler: Feats
    Show
    1)[Devil-Damnation]Fiendskin: Gain Fire Resistance 5
    Human Bonus) Improved Channel: +2 to channel energy DC
    Oracle Bonus) Command Undead

Spoiler: Curse
    Show
    Blackened: -4 on attack rolls, add burning hands to spells known.

Spoiler: Revelations
    Show
    Bones Mystery
    1) Undead Servitude

Spoiler: Spell Selection
    Show

0: Spark
    0: Read Magic
    0: Detect Magic
    0: Stabilize

1Bonus: Inflict Light Wounds
    1Bonus: Burning Hands
    1: Grasping Corpse
    1: Infernal Healing

Spoiler: Traits
    Show
    [DRAWBACK] Burned
    [FAITH] Birthmarked
    [MAGIC] Gifted Adept: Burning Hands
    [COMBAT] Hard to Kill

Spoiler: Ability Scores
    Show

7 str
    12 dex
    15 con
    12 int
    7 wis
    18+2=20 cha

Spoiler: Gear
    Show
    Scale Mail Armor (Includes Gauntlets) (80 GP) (30 pounds)
    Last edited by Zhentarim; 2019-09-12 at 08:49 PM.
    DnD Alignment: Neutral Evil
    M&M 3e Character Thread
    Spoiler: Dare you stare into Abaddon?
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: Replacement GM needed for “Crypt of the Everflame”

To expand on this:

Original thread here

The GM had to drop just before recruitment. We have several complete or near complete sheets, but party selection hasn't been made yet. I can't speak for the other players, but I for one am still up for playing, and would re-submit my character if we did get a new GM.

Spoiler: Reposting Character Submission
    Show
    Elissa Ardt
    Human Paladin (Undead Scourge)
    [/CENTER]

Spoiler: Description
    Show
    Elissa is a tall-ish human woman, of mostly Chelaxian heritage, with characteristic black hair and brown eyes. She usually keeps her hair tied back. Her skin is naturally fairly pale, though she is usually tanned from long hours outdoors. Her clothing style is simple and while she doesn't appear particularly muscular she has a surprising, wiry strength. She is still a bit awkward in her armor, as if she's unused to wearing it, though she wields her two-handed sword with remarkable ease.

Spoiler: Personality
    Show
    Strong willed and determined, Elissa is hard to sway once she's decided on a course of action. She is used to the outdoors, having grown up hunting and trapping for the village at her father's side. She was always quick to jump to the defense of others, though sometimes a bit too quick to rely on her fists rather than her words to resolve a situation.

Spoiler: Traits & Flaws
    Show
    Child of Nature: +2 Survival, Survival is CS
    Blessed: 1/day swift action to gain +1 to all saves for 1 round

While she would never (well, rarely) start a fight, Elissa does tend to meet force with force rather than attempting to de-escalate a situation through other means. (no mechanical drawback)

Spoiler: Contacts/Friends
    Show
    William Ardt: Elissa's father, who has largely shaped who she is. He was one of the first to know of her visions, and while he worries about his daughter, he has steadfastly encouraged her to follow her destiny.

Sir Dramott: The old knight began teaching Elissa thinking it was a passing interest, and that he would humor the young girl for a few weeks before she lost interest. However, soon the girl proved she was serious in learning, and she came to practice most every evening--sometimes training alongside the town militia.

Arthur Kavenshaw: Between her time spent in the woods and on the training fields, Elissa hasn't had much time to develop friendships with children her age. Arthur is the miller's son, who has been one of the few friends Elissa has had since she was very young. They've been a couple for about a year--they've been careful to keep it a secret from their parents, even though both of their families know about it. When Elissa volunteered Arthur tried to as well, though she convinced him to stay behind--he is nowhere near as handy with a sword as she is.

Spoiler: Background
    Show
    Elissa is the eldest of William and Innara Ardt's three daughters. Her father works as a hunter and a trapper, feeding his own family and earning a bit of gold from the bounty of the forest. With no sons--Elissa's mother died shortly after the birth of her youngest sister, and her father never remarried--Elissa and her siblings were left to help their father out with the family business.

As she entered adolescence, Elissa began receiving dreams and visions from--supposedly--Erastil himself, telling her that she was a warrior at heart, and would be called to defend her home when needed. Once she could no longer brush them off, she confided in Father Rantal, who encouraged her to listen to their guidance and talk with the retired warrior Sir Dramott. From then on out, her days were split between being out in the woods with her father and learning swordplay with Sir Dramott. Her father quietly encouraged her, and on her 15th birthday gifted her a worn, two-handed blade--he would not tell her where he'd gotten it. She took to the weapon quickly, impressing the knight with her ability to wield the big blade.

When the call to go to Kassen's tomb and re-light the flames, Elissa hadn't intended to volunteer. The winter promised to be harsh, and her father needed all the help he could get providing meat to the village. However, she caught sight of a large, horned stag behind the assembly, which seemed to catch her eye, nod subtly, and return to the forest. Almost without realizing it, she found herself stepping forward to volunteer almost without realizing what she was doing. Sir Dramott gifted her an old set of armor, and she set off with her father's sword, her bow, and her trusty knife in hand.

So if there are any kind GMs out there who'd be willing to run the adventure, you've got a set of players pretty much ready to go :)
    A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingFish View Post

The bells atop the Temple of Erastil toll their midday song, echoing throughout the quiet town of Kassen. As the peals begin to fade, the first of the townsfolk make their way into the square, dressed in black, as if attending a funeral. They slowly fill the square, moving quietly across the cold, hard ground, their eyes downcast and mournful. After a few moments, a murmur passes through the crowd as it slowly parts to let Mayor Uptal through. He leads the way with a tarnished silver lantern. Behind him, an old pony drags a cart laden with backpacks and supplies.

Once he reaches the center of the crowd, Mayor Uptal stops and calls out to the assembled townsfolk. “Once again the winter winds blow through the Fangwood, marking the end of another harvest. There are wolves in the woods, howling at our walls, and serpents in our shadows, waiting to strike. Just as it was one hundred and seventy-four years ago, when Kassen himself left these walls to protect us, so it is today. Where are the heroes? Where are the brave folk that will venture out to Kassen’s tomb and retrieve the flame to keep this community safe for another winter?”

Spoiler: Da Big 16
    Show
    1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)? Pathfinder 1e.

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)? Standard Golarion.

3.How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many? 4 players

4.What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)? GitP forums.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)? Level 1. 0 XP.

6.How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with? Average as per class or roll for wealth. If you chose to roll, you cannot take average.

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes? No homebrew. Banned: Arcanist, Synthesist Summoner. Gunslinger uses the bolt ace archetype. Summoner uses the unchained version. For monk or rogue, you can either go unchained or vanilla. Otherwise, go wild.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species? Core races only.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points? 20 point buy. HP is maxed first level. Roll for HP or take average for levels thereafter. Like wealth, once you picked one, you cannot pick the other.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so? Non-evil. Players must be able to work together.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it? Yes

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them? I'll be rolling for all NPCs and PC passive checks on this forum. Players roll their own active rolls.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.
    You get 2 traits to play around, 3 if you take a drawback that can hinder your character in a way. I have the right to revoke the extra trait if drawback does not tax your characters (I am looking at the you, warded against nature). Ask me which drawback qualifies if you are not certain. Campaign traits are allowed within reason. I will not be using any other subsystems in this game than unchained so all of them besides unchained are out. I will be using group initiative. No PvP period.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
    100% required. Minimum one paragraph. Background must include your connection to the town of Kassen.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
    Hack & Slash, light RP and puzzle solving as expected of the module.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?
    First party paizo material listed with bans and adjustments (see 7; anything that is cheesy) on either d20pfsrd or its official reference page, Archive of Nethys. No spheres, dreamscarred materials and any other 3rd party sources. Do not bother asking.

Since I am feeling nostalgic of this module, I decide to run it but with my own twists. After this module is completed, I am not going to run the rest of the Price of Immortality series modules; Mask of the Living Gods and The City of the Golden Death. If you are anticipating the continuation, you came to the wrong thread. New and experienced players are welcome. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me anything. As for submission deadline, I'll give it a week and a half so the players must submit their characters by 11 September 2019.

Player Character Race & Class Background Complete
    Syless Kundra Aldra Half-Orc Barbarian Yes Yes
    Just Helping Tamarie Half-Elf Witch No No
    ngilop Sulel'i Human Sorcerer Yes Yes
    FoxWyrd Asmodia Vornicas Human Cleric of Sarenrae Yes but need to update and add to sheet Yes
    Servbot Mathieu Human Samurai Need to finalized backstory and add to sheet No
    Snowbluff Saraph the Hawk Human Inquisitor Still WiP No
    Shubby-Niggs Black Philip Half-Orc Ranger No No
    rs2excelsior Elissa Ardt Human Paladin Yes Yes

The original recruitment post and submitted characters with notes.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Owwwkay, I am taking this over. Anyone still interested and having complete char sheet please post below. Two paragraph background and portrait are required, otherwise I'll stick to the above 16.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Oh sweet, I'd about figured this was dead! I'm still up for it!

Spoiler: Elissa Ardt
    Show
    Elissa Ardt
    Human Paladin (Undead Scourge)

Show
    Elissa is a tall-ish human woman, of mostly Chelaxian heritage, with characteristic black hair and brown eyes. She usually keeps her hair tied back. Her skin is naturally fairly pale, though she is usually tanned from long hours outdoors. Her clothing style is simple and while she doesn't appear particularly muscular she has a surprising, wiry strength. She is still a bit awkward in her armor, as if she's unused to wearing it, though she wields her two-handed sword with remarkable ease.

Show
    Strong willed and determined, Elissa is hard to sway once she's decided on a course of action. She is used to the outdoors, having grown up hunting and trapping for the village at her father's side. She was always quick to jump to the defense of others, though sometimes a bit too quick to rely on her fists rather than her words to resolve a situation.

Spoiler: Traits & Flaws
    Show
    Child of Nature: +2 Survival, Survival is CS
    Blessed: 1/day swift action to gain +1 to all saves for 1 round

While she would never (well, rarely) start a fight, Elissa does tend to meet force with force rather than attempting to de-escalate a situation through other means. (no mechanical drawback)

Spoiler: Contacts/Friends
    Show
    William Ardt: Elissa's father, who has largely shaped who she is. He was one of the first to know of her visions, and while he worries about his daughter, he has steadfastly encouraged her to follow her destiny.

Sir Dramott: The old knight began teaching Elissa thinking it was a passing interest, and that he would humor the young girl for a few weeks before she lost interest. However, soon the girl proved she was serious in learning, and she came to practice most every evening--sometimes training alongside the town militia.

Arthur Kavenshaw: Between her time spent in the woods and on the training fields, Elissa hasn't had much time to develop friendships with children her age. Arthur is the miller's son, who has been one of the few friends Elissa has had since she was very young. They've been a couple for about a year--they've been careful to keep it a secret from their parents, even though both of their families know about it. When Elissa volunteered Arthur tried to as well, though she convinced him to stay behind--he is nowhere near as handy with a sword as she is.

Show
    Elissa is the eldest of William and Innara Ardt's three daughters. Her father works as a hunter and a trapper, feeding his own family and earning a bit of gold from the bounty of the forest. With no sons--Elissa's mother died shortly after the birth of her youngest sister, and her father never remarried--Elissa and her siblings were left to help their father out with the family business.

As she entered adolescence, Elissa began receiving dreams and visions from--supposedly--Erastil himself, telling her that she was a warrior at heart, and would be called to defend her home when needed. Once she could no longer brush them off, she confided in Father Rantal, who encouraged her to listen to their guidance and talk with the retired warrior Sir Dramott. From then on out, her days were split between being out in the woods with her father and learning swordplay with Sir Dramott. Her father quietly encouraged her, and on her 15th birthday gifted her a worn, two-handed blade--he would not tell her where he'd gotten it. She took to the weapon quickly, impressing the knight with her ability to wield the big blade.

When the call to go to Kassen's tomb and re-light the flames, Elissa hadn't intended to volunteer. The winter promised to be harsh, and her father needed all the help he could get providing meat to the village. However, she caught sight of a large, horned stag behind the assembly, which seemed to catch her eye, nod subtly, and return to the forest. Almost without realizing it, she found herself stepping forward to volunteer almost without realizing what she was doing. Sir Dramott gifted her an old set of armor, and she set off with her father's sword, her bow, and her trusty knife in hand.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...8#post24135698

This is Zion Watchtower, the reluctant damned oracle.
    M&M 3e Character Thread
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Elissa Ardt looks good. 2x ACP to Swim skill.

Zion Watchtower sheet seems somewhat incomplete. I will choose from complete sheets, if I'll have enough.
    Last edited by u-b; 2019-09-29 at 11:24 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by u-b View Post
    Is that a thing in PF? I remember swim gets 2x ACP in 3.5, but the PFSRD doesn't mention anything about it in the swim skill description. If that's a house rule we're going with that's fine too, I don't expect her to be doing much swimming in her armor one way or the other.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rs2excelsior View Post
    Is that a thing in PF?
    Err... double-checking it, nope. They got rid of this rule and I think I won't be reintroducing it.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Zion Watchtower sheet seems somewhat incomplete. I will choose from complete sheets, if I'll have enough.
    Is it just a matter of transferring from the spoilers to the sheet?
    M&M 3e Character Thread
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zhentarim View Post
    Is it just a matter of transferring from the spoilers to the sheet?
    That, and also filling the blanks, applying ACP to skills sort of thing. Also, are you sure you want to start with just one item of gear?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

That, and also filling the blanks, applying ACP to skills sort of thing. Also, are you sure you want to start with just one item of gear?
    I might buy a few potions if I can afford them. If I have some healing potions, I can use my spell slots for blast spells. I actually am hoping this game gets combined with the other two games in the trilogy. I feel like I can complete my negative character arc that way.

I genuinely overlooked the other stuff, and went ahead and filled that in. I’ll finish transferring the stuff over tonight.
    M&M 3e Character Thread
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

I can't promise the rest of the trilogy and the third part is kind of nuts, but let's say we'll see about part 2 when and if we are through part 1. The sheet's much better now. You still lack the hit points (which are important), languages and coins (which probably are not important, until and unless we hit part 2, but go ahead and fill anyway). For the record: it is early autumn and the crypt is some distance away.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

It's cool that this is finally being picked up by a new GM. I'm glad I've got another chance to play this classic module and this character I've grown fond of. Speaking of which, he should be completed now and below is my official submission. Cheers.

Spoiler: Black Phillip
    Show
    Black Phillip
    Half-Orc Ranger (Trapper)

Show
    Black Phillip is an albino, which one notices immediately upon seeing him. Beyond that, he terrible pox scars covering most of the right side of his face. His right eye is cloudy white, no doubt claimed by whatever sickness marred his face. A closer inspection of the large, powerful man would reveal his predatory appearance. His mouth houses needle sharp teeth with pronounced canines and his fingernails come to hard blackened points.

Show
    Phillip is shy and quiet. It's obvious for anyone who spends much time around him to realize this stems from his feelings about his outward appearance. Preferring not to maintain eye contact, and avoiding basic social graces, Black Phillip is straight to the point. Those who know him closely, and those are few and far between, know that he has a good heart and a heroic bent. Despite his somewhat monstrous appearance, Phillip is one of the good guys.

Show
    Phillip, or Black Phillip as he has become known for being a black sheep of not just his adoptive family but the entire town, is not a true native of Kassen but has lived there since he was a small boy. He hold obvious Orcish decent but isn't a true blooded savage. Many years ago a group of hunters from Kassen encountered a grizzly sight, a group of Orcs being consumed by gaunt undead monsters. The hunters were able to slay some of the ghouls and chase away the rest. While surveying the scene the local priest of Erastil who was leading the hunt discovered a badly wounded boy, a half-orc albino boy. Despite the objections of his fellow hunters he rushed the boy back to town, which took several days, in an attempt to retrieve magics who could use to save the boys life. During the journey is became apparent that the boy had fallen ill. A pox grew across his body while the poor lad slowly began to transform into one of the hellish creatures that had claimed his clan. By the time they had reached Kassen the boy was on death's door but the devout proest was able to retrieve the potions and supplies needed to save the boy. He recovered from the disease but not before it had lefts its mark on him. Much of his face is terribly scarred and one of his eyes is now white, milky and useless but he is alive.

The natives of Kassen never fully understood why the priest adopted Phillip, as he named him, into his family and let him stay in Kassen. They had their share of encounters with orcs and had heard the tales of their evil and savagery. Needless to say, life for "Black" Phillip wasn't easy in Kassen. He was tormented by his peers, looked down on by his elders, and scorned by everyone for his hideous looks and monstrous ancestry. Everyone but his adoptive father, of course. He grew somewhat insular over the years but he held a great love for the man that had saved his life. Like his father, Phillip become a devout Erastilian and in his teenage years spent most of his time venerating The Stag God by hunting and providing for the town that barely tolerated his presence.

Now word is spreading across town that the rite of passage is afoot, and young heroes are needed to travel to the crypt once more to retrieve the Everflame. Black Phillip sees this as an opportunity to perhaps change the perception the town has of him, of he can succeed in such a noble deed. Additionally, the thought of making his father proud, and proving that the faith he had in him all those years ago was well placed, is the most powerful driving force.
    Last edited by Shub-Niggurath; 2019-10-01 at 12:01 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Hey, glad to see another player coming back to show interest!

Since Phillip is a huntsman and (presumably) grew up at the temple of Erastil, and Elissa's father was a trapper and she is a paladin of Erastil, it's possible they're at least passingly familiar with each other--at least past the initial gut reaction based on Phillip's appearance/stereotypes. She's not exactly a temple-trained paladin, but she would have come to the priests for guidance about her visions, at least.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

I posted interest in the last thread and sent a completed character sheet to the former GM via PM (can't post links yet), but I'm guessing my application got lost in the shuffle somewhere. Would you consider my submission, or is this only open to folks that actually made the last thread's list?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Sheba View Post
    I posted interest in the last thread and sent a completed character sheet to the former GM via PM (can't post links yet), but I'm guessing my application got lost in the shuffle somewhere. Would you consider my submission, or is this only open to folks that actually made the last thread's list?
    Yep, I would definitely consider your application. Post the URL here as text or PM me.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

Thank you! I PMed you the link, but here are the broad strokes of the character in case anyone wants to look it over.
    Spoiler: Gwynvieve Thornweaver
    Show
    Gwynvieve Thornweaver
    Human Witch 1

Spoiler: Basic Information
    Show
    Name: Gwynvieve Thornweaver
    Race: Human
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    Class: Witch (Ley Line Guardian)

Show
    Gwynvieve is a girl on the cusp of womanhood, the childish fullness of her face having begun to give way to more exquisite, angular features. Her alabaster skin is as much owing to the thickness of the canopies sheltering her hometown as it is to the many layers she drapes over her blossoming figure in an effort to avoid touching off her "metal allergy". Cool blue eyes that have yet to lose their expressive, youthful innocence often regard others with a measure of warmth. The young woman often keeps her wild, vibrant red hair pulled back from her face on account of her predilection for wielding flames.

On the surface, Gwynvieve is a kind young woman with a ready smile, always glad to be of help to someone in need. Due to her cloistered upbringing in The Grove, she is eager to make friends of strangers. Her fiery red hair belies a gentle nature and an even temper. But when the embers of said temper are stoked, Gwyn is quick to bring down nature's wrath upon those foolish enough to risk her ire.

Show
    A ways outside the town of Kassen, deep in the Southern Fangwood, lies a small community of druids and nature wardens oft-referred to by outsiders simply as The Grove. Established nearly a century ago by a druidic sect hailing from the aforementioned town, inhabitants of The Grove have maintained close ties to Kassen ever since. It is here Gwynvieve was born, and it is here her path in life was laid out before she ever drew her first breath. The Thornweavers, one of The Grove's oldest families, has never failed to produce a druid of great power in all the many generations they've lived there.

As an only child, Gwyn has grown up under the weight of a great legacy, but has sadly not always been able to live up to it. Although her connection to the land is undeniably strong, she struggles with mastering even the most rudimentary of the druidic arts and shows, as one elder put it, "an inharmonious reliance on the conjuring of flame to the disregard of the other elements." Nevertheless, Gwyn perseveres on journey she secretly fears she is ill-suited for, the next step of which will begin her initiation into the druidic order: recovering a piece of the Everflame to secure the safety of Kassen and their little community for another winter.

Spoiler: Abilities
    Show
    Conduit Surge (Su) At 1st level, a ley line guardian is adept at channeling energy from ley lines to enhance her own spells. As a swift action, she can increase her effective caster level for the next spell she casts in that round by 1d4–1 levels. After performing a conduit surge, the ley line guardian must succeed at a Fortitude save (DC = 10 + level of spell cast + number of additional caster levels granted) or become staggered for a number of minutes equal to the level of the spell cast. At 8th level, the caster level increase becomes 1d4. She can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + her Charisma modifier. This ability replaces familiar and the hexes gained at 1st and 8th levels.

Hex Witches learn a number of magic tricks, called hexes, that grant them powers or weaken foes. At 1st level, a witch gains one hex of her choice. She gains an additional hex at 2nd level and for every 2 levels attained after 2nd level, as noted on Table: Witch. A witch cannot select an individual hex more than once. Unless otherwise noted, using a hex is a standard action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity. The save to resist a hex is equal to 10 + 1/2 the witch’s level + the witch’s Intelligence modifier.

Feral Speech (Su): This hex grants the witch the ability to speak with and understand the response of any animal as if using speak with animals, though each time she uses the hex, she must decide to communicate with either amphibians, birds, fish, mammals, or reptiles, and can only speak to and understand animals of that type. The witch can make herself understood as far as her voice carries. This hex does not predispose any animal so addressed toward the witch in any way. At 12th level, the witch can use this hex to communicate with vermin.

Healing (Su): A witch can soothe the wounds of those she touches. This acts as a cure light wounds spell, using the witch's caster level. Once a creature has benefited from the healing hex, it cannot benefit from it again for 24 hours. At 5th level, this hex acts like cure moderate wounds.

Unique Patrons The following patrons swap out the spells normally provided by a patron theme at specific levels, and grant a specific hex and drawback at 1st level. Once a specific patron has been selected, a witch cannot change her patron or raise a hand against that entity without losing her spellcasting, hexes, and familiar. These categories are limited in the patron themes they can provide; their witches must select from one of the four listed for each entry. These patrons are extraordinary examples of their kind, often invested with unique or mythic powers and pursuing long-term agendas measured in centuries or eons.

Green Whispers: Your witch powers are a manifestation of the Green Faith or bestowed by a representative of natural forces, such as an ancient treant or nature spirit, who expects you to wield such gifts on its behalf. You gain the feral speech hex at 1st level, but you cannot abide the touch of iron or steel; contact with either metal deals 1d3 points of damage each round, and wearing metal armor prevents you from casting spells until it is removed. Available Patron Themes: Animals, Endurance, Moon, Transformation. Spell Changes: 2nd—entangle, 6th—plant growth, 10th—tree stride.

Animals Patron: 2nd—charm animals, 4th—speak with animals, 6th—dominate animal, 8th—summon nature's ally IV, 10th—animal growth, 12th—antilife shell, 14th—beast shape IV, 16th—animal shapes, 18th—summon nature's ally IX.

Spoiler: Feats
    Show
    Elemental Spell You can manipulate the elemental nature of your spells. Choose one energy type: acid, cold, electricity, or fire. You may replace a spell's normal damage with that energy type or split the spell's damage, so that half is of that energy type and half is of its normal type. An elemental spell uses up a spell slot one level higher than the spell's actual level. You can gain this feat multiple times. Each time you must choose a different energy type.

Extra Hex You have learned the secrets of a new hex. You gain one additional hex. You must meet the prerequisites for this hex.

Spoiler: Skills & Languages
    Show
    Languages: Common, Elven, Halfling, Sylvan, Varisian

Skills
    Knowledge (Arcana) +8 [1 rank, +4 Int, +3 trained]
    Knowledge (History) +8 [1 rank, +4 Int, +3 trained]
    Knowledge (Nature) +8 [1 rank, +4 Int, +3 trained]
    Perception +4 [1 rank, +3 trained]
    Survival +5 [1 rank, +3 trained, +1 trait]
    Spellcraft +8 [1 rank, +4 Int, +3 trained]

Spoiler: Traits
    Show
    Magical Lineage One of your parents was a gifted spellcaster who not only used metamagic often, but also developed many magical items and perhaps even a new spell or two—and you have inherited a fragment of this greatness. Pick one spell when you choose this trait. When you apply metamagic feats to this spell that add at least 1 level to the spell, treat its actual level as 1 lower for determining the spell’s final adjusted level. (burning hands)

Know the Land Your familiarity with the plants and animals of a variety of environments gives you a +1 trait bonus on Knowledge (nature) and Survival checks, and one of these skills is a class skill for you.

Fey Magic The character has a mystic connection to one terrain type, selected from the ranger’s favored terrain list. The character selects three 0-level druid spells and one 1st-level druid spell. If the character has a Charisma score of 11 or higher, when in the selected terrain, she gains these spells as spell-like abilities that can be cast once per day. The caster level for these effects is equal to the user’s character level. The DC for the spell-like abilities is equal to 10 + the spell’s level + the user’s Charisma modifier. These spells are treated as being from a fey source for the purposes of the druid’s resist nature’s lure class feature and similar abilities. A human can take it in place of skilled. A human who replaces skilled with fey magic also gains fey thoughts and low-light vision.

Fey Thoughts The character sees the world more like a native of the First World. Select two of the following skills: Acrobatics, Bluff, Climb, Diplomacy, Disguise, Escape Artist, Fly, Knowledge (nature), Perception, Perform, Sense Motive, Sleight of Hand, Stealth, Swim, or Use Magic Device. The selected skills are always class skills for the character. In the case of humans, this trait replaces the skilled trait (and the human also gains fey magic and low-light vision, as detailed in Fey Magic, above).

Spoiler: Myth Weaver ID#
    Show
    Last edited by Queen of Sheba; 2019-10-02 at 11:47 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

This is enough of confirmed interest to start the game, so I am going to start this weekend.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

This is enough of confirmed interest to start the game, so I am going to start this weekend.
    Awesome, does that mean there's still a selection process or are there just enough submitted characters?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

We have four so far, which is just barely enough. I'd say I'll take everyone up to five people inclusive. Will have to choose if there is a sudden inrush.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

You guys look like you could use a rogue. As someone who has played up to the gates of the Crypt in this AP before (before it died), trust me, you'd like a rogue!

Promise not to metagame. I don't remember much about the AP besides the wizard I build having to do a DD check since we didn't have a rogue.

It shouldn't take me long to build a character, I'll have one done in about 2-3 hours. If it's acceptable, I'd love to be the fifth party member!
    S C R E A M I N G is always a free action.

If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

-Guy, "How to be a Great Game Master"

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Yep, go ahead!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hannahbbug3 View Post
    You guys look like you could use a rogue. As someone who has played up to the gates of the Crypt in this AP before (before it died), trust me, you'd like a rogue!

Promise not to metagame. I don't remember much about the AP besides the wizard I build having to do a DD check since we didn't have a rogue.

It shouldn't take me long to build a character, I'll have one done in about 2-3 hours. If it's acceptable, I'd love to be the fifth party member!
    My ranger is a Trapper archetype so we actually have trapfinding covered if that's what you mean.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Here is my submission, hope you all like it! And hope I am not stepping too much on the Trapper or the Witch's toes!

Spoiler: The Rogue on an Empty Page
    Show

Alabaster Kraine
    (sheet) (theme song that explains his personality better than I do)
    Race Elf Class Unchained Rogue Alignment Chaotic Good
    STR 11 DEX 18 CON 10 INT 16 WIS 12 CHA 10

Show
    A tall, lithe individual with pointed ears, anyone can tell Alabaster is an elf just by looking at him. Silver hair, blue eyes, and sharp cheekbones give him a distinctly fey-like appearance, moreso than many others of his race. Tattoos on his face mark him as an individual belonging - or at least, having once belonged - to an elven society mostly split off from outsiders, though he left his home more than a decade ago.

Show
    A rather laid-back individual, Alabaster is comfortable enough taking his time in figuring out his path in life. He's an elf. He's got a long time to figure it out. Having been indirectly cast out of his home, he has no problem joking about the haughtiness of his own race, and is quite dismissive of such 'superiority complexes' that other elves have. He makes fun of his own name often. "Alabaster Kraine. What kind of pretentious jerk names their kid Alabaster Kraine? Call me Al. Or Bast. Hell. Bastard if you think it suits me."
    With all the theoretical knowledge of a wizard but none of the practical ability, Alabaster still has yet to figure out what he wants to do in life. He exudes an aura of an untamed, questioning and questing youth, who, while something of a cautious individual, has bouts of throwing discretion to the wind when he thinks the time to prove himself has come. He is someone who has yet to figure out his strengths, though is well acquainted with his weaknesses - and wisely knows to steer away from magic at all costs. Thank goodness he can always see it coming, right?
    Still yet to figure himself out and knowing he has a long way to go, Alabaster is eager to explore both the world and himself. All he really wants is to find where he belongs - it's gotta be out there somewhere.

Spoiler: Traits/Flaws
    Show
    Mathematical Prodigy
    Mathematics has always come easily for you, and you have always been able to “see the math” in the physical and magical world.
    Benefits: You gain a +1 bonus on Knowledge (arcana) and Knowledge (engineering) checks, and one of these skills (your choice) is always a class skill for you.

Student of Philosophy

You were trained in a now-defunct philosophical tradition—such as that of the now-destroyed magic universities or astrologers—and learned to use logic and reason to persuade others.
    Benefit(s): You can use your Intelligence modifier in place of your Charisma modifier on Diplomacy checks to persuade others and on Bluff checks to convince others that a lie is true. (This trait does not affect Diplomacy checks to gather information or Bluff checks to feint in combat).

Arcane Scholar
    Benefit(s): Choose either Knowledge (arcana) or Spellcraft; you gain a +1 trait bonus on that skill and it is a class skill for you.

Magical Klutz
    You were born in a place with a plethora of strangely interacting magic and magic is dangerously eager to surge into action around you.
    Effect(s): You roll twice and take the lower result on Use Magic Device checks to activate items blindly and on Reflex saving throws against effects produced by magic items.

Spoiler: Backstory
    Show
    You wouldn't think that someone turning one-hundred-eleven this year would just be on the cusp of adulthood, but, well. Alabaster's parents are traditionalists. Or, well, they were, though Alabaster now hasn't seen them in some eleven years. Once he'd reached a century old, he grew fed up with the elven society he'd lived in, and its rigorous expectations of him - expectations that he had failed to meet.
    With his mother a skilled construct-crafter and his father a renowned wizard among their secretive elven city, great things were always expected of Alabaster. And in the beginning, he seemed like he would be just the expected prodigy of such a powerful line. Gifted with the sight to see magic easily in the world around him without gestures and invocations, given a keen mind and an astute command of numbers, it seemed at first that he would have no trouble following in his parents' footsteps. But then... the accidents started happening. The botched potions, the burned-off eyebrows and that one time he turned his dog into a toad (poor Rover was never the same, even when he was polymorphed back he still croaked instead of barked). What at first seemed like the usual mistakes of an apprentice never went away, and though Alabaster tried and tried - mastered the theory of magic in every way he could - the practice, well, it just never came. After blowing up his mother's laboratory, it was collectively and silently decided that perhaps Alabaster should just never try dabbling in the arcane arts again. Not when such bad luck followed him around.

So he left home. He wasn't quite ashamed of his failure - moreso, he couldn't stand the disappointment of his parents - and so he quietly departed one night, gone to find a new home elsewhere in the world. He found this home in Kassen, two years ago - and as an adolescent by elven standards, and very much someone still in the adolescent phase of not knowing what he wants to do with his life... he figures there's no better way to figure out his limits by putting them to the test. As dramatic and dangerous as this quest to the Crypt sounds, he knows, historically, it's quite safe. Not too much at risk here... and perhaps on this mission, he'll finally figure out what on earth he is good for.

If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

My toes are fine, but thanks for checking! I think it's always nice to have a second opinion on Knowledge\Spellcraft checks anyway. And if we both make it in, maybe Bast and Gwyn can bond over their mutual disappointing of their parents.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Sheba View Post
    My toes are fine, but thanks for checking! I think it's always nice to have a second opinion on Knowledge\Spellcraft checks anyway. And if we both make it in, maybe Bast and Gwyn can bond over their mutual disappointing of their parents.
    Yay, character bonding!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

I had to duck out a few days. I’ll finish up my sheet saturday.
    M&M 3e Character Thread
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

I seem to have mislead you about the early authumn. Anyway, IC and OOC are up, please report there, claim speech color and introduce yourselves.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Awesome, I'll be able to post in it later this evening. Looking forward to it.