The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: M&M3e?

1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default M&M3e?

For some reason, I feel the urge to play Mutants and Masterminds. Iím looking for somebody who can post minimum once per day, and knows the system well.
    Current games:
    The Sunless Citadel
    Blade of the Four Fallen
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodbyeSoberDay
    I think this teaches us a valuable lesson. At bizarrely low levels of optimization, the tier system disappears. In its place is the "we can't even beat CR=ECL-5 foes" system.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: M&M3e?

Quote Originally Posted by Vrock Bait View Post
    For some reason, I feel the urge to play Mutants and Masterminds. Iím looking for somebody who can post minimum once per day, and knows the system well.
    I do NOT know the system well.
    But I've been spending the past 2 weeks trying out various hero designs and reading the Hero's Handbook, waiting for another game of M&M 3E to start.

What type of game are you looking for ?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'd like to follow this thread. I'm down for any kind of game but don't know the system super well.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Johel View Post
    I do NOT know the system well.
    But I've been spending the past 2 weeks trying out various hero designs and reading the Hero's Handbook, waiting for another game of M&M 3E to start.

What type of game are you looking for ?
    Anything is ok. I just want to build a character, whether hero or villain.
    Current games:
    The Sunless Citadel
    Blade of the Four Fallen
    I think this teaches us a valuable lesson. At bizarrely low levels of optimization, the tier system disappears. In its place is the "we can't even beat CR=ECL-5 foes" system.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

I've been keeping my eye out for a M&M game, so I'm up for this. I prefer higher PL/PP games but anything is cool.
    High Reverend of the Church of the Icosahedron

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm definitely down for this. I prefer lower PL (8 is ideal) and teen heroes. I find that the former really forces me to zero in on what really matters in a concept, while the latter affords a healthy mix of humor and seriousness. :)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I would like power level going up slowly, to signify accumulation of skills or evolution of powers.
    Current games:
    The Sunless Citadel
    Blade of the Four Fallen

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

DrowGirl

Interested in playing.
    M&M 3e recruitment threats a have been uncommon this summer. I cannot get enough of the game.
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

I'm always down for M&M
    "Can you do science to it?"
    "I can do science to anything."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by NineOfSpades
    I prefer higher PL/PP games but anything is cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Choukyuudan
    I prefer lower PL (8 is ideal) and teen heroes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vrock Bait
    I would like power level going up slowly
    Noted.

Quote Originally Posted by gac3
    I'm down for any kind of game but don't know the system super well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzarra
    Interested in playing
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhyvurg
    I'm always down for M&M
    Noted.

User Name Character Fluff Crunch Approval Updated
    NineOfSpades 13/09/2019
    Choukyuudan ????? In progress In progress 13/09/2019
    Vrock Bait ????? In progress In progress 13/09/2019
    Izzarra Joule In progress In review 13/09/2019
    Rhyvurg 13/09/2019
    gac3 13/09/2019
    Zero Prime Unknown Kid In progress In progress 13/09/2019
    jolinaxas 13/09/2019
    SquirrelWizard ????? In progress In progress 13/09/2019
    tonberrian 13/09/2019
    zzzzzzzz414 ????? In progress In progress 13/09/2019
    bc56 ????? In progress In progress 13/09/2019

If anyone else read this thread and is interested, just say so here :
    I'll update the table once a day everyday.

--------------

What scale of adventures are you seeking ?

City Vigilantes ? World Heroes ? Universe Saviors ?
    Bunch of beginners stumbling together by accident ?
    Team of heroes-in-training learning the steps ?
    League of well-established super heroes ?

What tone would you like ?

Golden Age ? Silver Age ? Bronze Age ? Iron Age ? Modern Age ?
    Do you prefer light-hearted stories ? Or something more involved ?
    Do you want the powers and responsibilities that go with them ? Or just being overly-well equipped for a specific job ?
    Absolute black-and-white morality ? Or something more realistic ? Or even cynical ?

Is there anything that you really DO NOT like in a story ?

Ex :
    I really hate time travel to the past, as it opens too much problems of logic.
    Dimensional travels create morality issues if you think too much about it.

Is there something like that for you ?

--------------

We'll find a compromise, going by majority if it blocks.
    It will also help you to know how to set your character's background.

I'll check this thread once a day and answer everyday if needed until Sunday 15/09/2019, 23h59 GMT+0.
    And then, I'll try to patch a background story for an adventure and 16 Questions for Sunday 22/09/2019, 23h59 GMT+0.

Those that want to take a crack on their character :
    You can already work on a PL 7 character, with a few traits in option to be added later if needed.
    If the character is functional at PL 7, you already have the core of what you want.
    It can always easily be updated to whatever once we decide on what final Power Level we use.
    Last edited by Johel; 2019-09-13 at 09:55 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Team of top tier hero's in the world joined together to fight the never ending battle for truth and justice (Justice League/Avengers). I don't mind characters that are a bit more odd-ballish, but there is a difference between 'hero with unusual powers & abilities' and 'characters that are drastically removed from superhero conventions'. If the higher starting PL is concerning, I am fine with a lower PL game + extra starting points to help round out characters.

Characters can be complex, but ultimately villains are villains and hero's are hero's. Good guys shouldn't be killing folks, and the difficulties they face in their lives should be character driven and allow for growth, not ultimatums where they are forced to choose between the lesser of two evils.

Players should try to avoid gaming the system to create the biggest and bestest pile of numbers ever. M&M is a wonderful system, but it is easy to exploit and create characters who are widely out of alignment with the game's power level. Please no explicit torture, rape, body horror or similar content (Having it in the game is fine, going into graphic detail is not). I would also like for a game to not be set in an established universe, so as to give more freedom to create our own characters. I am fine with players and villains being obvious knock-offs of canon charters from marvel or DC (Indeed, I love that stuff), but it tends to make it harder for me to feel like I have the opportunity to create the people I want to if I'm stuck following canon.
    High Reverend of the Church of the Icosahedron

12. - Top - End - #12

As a comic enthusiast, I am an avid player, and GM for M&M in a table top setting. As I am no longer able to get together with my table top crew on a regular basis, I have shifted my attention towards PbP games. And I am *very* interested in a M&M game that takes tone, scale, and tropes into consideration ...

I much prefer an organic scale to games these days, starting off as recognised, perhaps even experienced heroes on a local, city-wide basis. Growing into something larger, dealing with state-wide, then national-wide emergencies. Powerful but not top-tier, at least, not yet. I also prefer broad growth rather than narrow focus. Something I used to implement in my games, in that normally 15PP equates to a Power Level, I used to do it at a ratio of 30:1, essentially Peter Parker hasn't expanded much in his power level, he just became better at doing what he was capable of, without upping his overall effectiveness.

A mixture between Bronze and Modern Age, a touch of modern morality, but ultimately heroes should *feel* like heroes, crowds should thank them, cops salute them when they fly over, at least once they have gone out of their way to earn their respect. One thing I should stress, is that personal complications, civilian vs hero, are some of my favorite sub-plots, I love dealing with the struggle to maintain both identities, having to conceal, or lie about activites to your loved ones, etc, etc.

I prefer traditional comic story and structure, not Animae, not Urban Fantasy, Spandex clad, Cape Wearing Superheroes. I can appreciate some deconstruction of the image, and the myth, but the game should honor the tropes of the Genre, a secret identity should be able to be hidden by parting your hair on the opposite side, slouching, and wearing a pair of glasses, heroes should have code names, a costume, and a theme. Villains should monologue, and death traps *are* a thing.

I also, *hate* Magic and Variable Power Pools, they cross too many lines, Magic as an origin or Descriptor is fine, but when Strange can whip out any spell or effect he wants, it makes other characters superfluous. Also, when GM'ing I tried to enforce role protection, while Hulk, Thor & Iron Man were all super strength, brickish characters, Hulk was Strongest, Thor the best fighter, and Iron Man was third tier to both because of the versatility of his armor, *unless* he power stunted a new version of his suit, ie. Hulk Buster. If someone is a speedster, the paragon shouldn't be faster than them, because the player should respect that speed is the speedsters 'thing' ... it's a mechanical preference, but it leaves most players feeling good about their role in the team and the character itself.

Anyways, that's it for me, not even really sure what I want to play until we kind of settle on a direction, scope, or theme. But I am in for the long haul, I'd even suggest a Discord server so players & GM can quickly get responses to questions that would typically slow down posting rates.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

What scale of adventure are you seeking?

I like the idea that weíre minor heroes, but have to step into the shoes of the world defenders. So I would prefer the threat levels slowly ramping up.

What tone would you like?

Any, as long as itís not Comic Code approved.

Is there anything you really DO NOT like in a story?

Time travel changing the future. Disgusting. Also, I dislike perfect heroes, since theyíre annoying Mary Sues and they appear every three days.
    Current games:
    The Sunless Citadel
    Blade of the Four Fallen

14. - Top - End - #14

I mostly agree with the "minor heroes forced to step into the shoes of the Justice League types" sentiment posed by Vrock Bait, now that I've seen it.

Not a fan of the real goofball Silver/Gold-age stuff, Modern is probably closest to my ideal.
    But realistic morality is fine, let's not get super gritty.

Yeah, time travel sucks, parallel universes do most of what it does better with a lot less headache.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

I have yet to have a M&M game go more than one session and would love to get into a considerably longer game.

I do have a question. Is this going to be a play by post game in the forum? I can probably swing daily posts, more if they're just quick posts, but scheduling time for conventional game meetings will be difficult for me.

Scale of Adventure
    I'd prefer a plot where heroes get drawn into a web of events and conflicts that lead up to a major revelation. Not so much "Save vs Apocalypse" rather "Villian aiming to drastically shift things that might have unfortunate implications on life as we know it." Thanos Snap No, Injustice Yes.

Or we could do the B-Team. You know, the guys who deal with stuff that doesn't require, or is lower on the threat scale compared to what, The Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman to deal with.

Tone
    Relatively serious. I'm like humor but I'd prefer if villains and conflicts to be grounded somewhat in seriousness. I'm also not against humorous concepts if they are played relatively straight. Also, I'd prefer to avoid Grimdark, or edgy, worlds but flawed ones are fine.

What I dont want
    Just basic stuff. Keep the Gorn to a minimum, and lets not drag current day politics into it. Time travel being rather complicated and a headache to keep track of. I'd prefer Dimensional Travel being available, but understandably being rather hard to pull off. This is mostly because I'd rather not cut out a potential avenue for a character's backstory.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Looks like you have a GM, so I'm posting interest. I'm good with most anything, really.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

Rick Venture avatar by kpenguin, his GM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Posting interest.

Scale: I prefer the "teens/underdogs/b-listers suddenly thrust into a bad situation" feel, rather than being part of an established/powerful super league. I don't care much about the scale of the threat/setting itself, though I tend to prefer street-to-city level.

Tone: Anything but over-the-top-camp, black-and-white-morality, comics-code-approved Silver Age, basically. I tend to write my characters on the more flawed/complex side, though.

Don't Want: The typical "no over-the-top gore/sex stuff." I also don't really like being part of a government/military super-group, though it's not necessarily a deal-breaker.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Johel View Post
    If anyone else read this thread and is interested, just say so here :
    I'll update the table once a day everyday.

--------------

City Vigilantes ? World Heroes ? Universe Saviors ?
    Bunch of beginners stumbling together by accident ?
    Team of heroes-in-training learning the steps ?
    League of well-established super heroes ?

Golden Age ? Silver Age ? Bronze Age ? Iron Age ? Modern Age ?
    Do you prefer light-hearted stories ? Or something more involved ?
    Do you want the powers and responsibilities that go with them ? Or just being overly-well equipped for a specific job ?
    Absolute black-and-white morality ? Or something more realistic ? Or even cynical ?

Ex :
    I really hate time travel to the past, as it opens too much problems of logic.
    Dimensional travels create morality issues if you think too much about it.

Is there something like that for you ?

--------------

We'll find a compromise, going by majority if it blocks.
    It will also help you to know how to set your character's background.

I'll check this thread once a day and answer everyday if needed until Sunday 15/09/2019, 23h59 GMT+0.
    And then, I'll try to patch a background story for an adventure and 16 Questions for Sunday 22/09/2019, 23h59 GMT+0.

Those that want to take a crack on their character :
    You can already work on a PL 7 character, with a few traits in option to be added later if needed.
    If the character is functional at PL 7, you already have the core of what you want.
    It can always easily be updated to whatever once we decide on what final Power Level we use.
    Oooh!
    I've been looking for an m&m game for a while now.

Scale: I like both the established heroes level and the total newbies. I normally like a scale of operations limited to one city.
    Tone: I like the Golden Age style, with a more black and white morality and semi serious tone, but am fairly open on this front; a difference here would not be a deal-breaker.
    Dislikes:
    No real life politics, no sex and no gore. Other than that, as long as the narrative is fairly consistent and interesting, I'm happy.
    On the character level side, I dislike seeing characters with very large, high-value arrays or characters who game the system to be stronger than their power level should allow.

Character idea
    I have a bunch of these bouncing around my head at any given time; I'll decide on one when the blurb comes out, but probably prototype a couple before then.
    Last edited by bc56; 2019-09-12 at 04:53 PM.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

19. - Top - End - #19

Hey Johel, can I ask you, what style, tone, and preferences do *you* have for a Hero-type game? If only because player burnout is a thing, but, most importantly, I want to make sure the guy stepping up to do all the work is going to enjoy himself too!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Prime View Post
    Hey Johel, can I ask you, what style, tone, and preferences do *you* have for a Hero-type game? If only because player burnout is a thing, but, most importantly, I want to make sure the guy stepping up to do all the work is going to enjoy himself too!

Honestly, I love both the local and nationwide scope.

It puts limit that makes it ok to ignore the big picture.
    It helps explain why the heroes aren't just doing humanitarian help by going after volcanoes, tsunamis and the likes.
    They aren't focusing on their hometown or homeland while forsaking the rest of the world.
    They just don't have enough power to tackle the biggest problems so they focus on what they can improve locally.

The "savior of the universe" thing is rarely well-executed.

Bronze Age is good for me.
    Heroes are morally good but they are humanly weak.
    They struggle to keep a balance between their family, friends, work and their heroic self.
    They sometimes fail, they often make mistakes, they fall prey to their emotions.
    But they always try their best.
    It also gives villains more options than just "flight or fight"

So serious but not edgy or cynical.

-------------------------------------------

From what I read, we are probably going to start with local heroes.

That's what the majority said (if I understood correctly "minor" as "local").
    But I'll think about a story that let the heroes encounter enough problems that they can grow into world defenders.

I will not prevent people to make characters that has a more international focus.
    They could be visiting town to solve a specific problem they are struggling with and mix with the rest of the group by accident.

A little bit of background to help you all
    English is not my native language so apologizes if something is weird.

So far, we got 12 interests.
    I can probably manage 6 players in a play-by-post.
    Less in an active Discord session.

We could always make two separate games if we find a second DM.

But we got until Sunday to discuss the specifics.

21. - Top - End - #21

If we're going to talk mechanics, I'm honestly looking at a stock standard PL 10. That covers everything from an experienced local hero, aka Spiderman, to a starting paragon, Invincible, Superman, or pretty much anything in between.

From a personal perspective I'm thinking of playing an ancient king of Atlantus, imprisoned in the Astral Realm by a traitorous Sorcerer. In modern times an event occurred which broke the seal keeping the king imprisoned cracked. His mortal self, long since dead, he inhabits the comatose body of an athlete injured in an accident.

Basically a flying paragon, high presence, persuasion, with some mystical Atlantean flavor.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

I very much prefer pbp. I don't have the time for a voice game.

Characterwise, my current thoughts lean towards a lawyer by day, cape by night who uses the powers of a forgotten pantheon of justice to fight crime.
    Mechanically speaking, use a dynamic array to get a small set of mix and match powers, but put limitations on how often I can change options (my thoughts being a 1-hour ritual to change powers, although that's up for discussion if you feel it should be longer).
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

23. - Top - End - #23

DrowGirl

I tend to prefer playing Energy Controllers or Elementals.
    Currently thinking that I would like to dust off this character sheet: Joule
    Sorry it is not PL 7, all of the characters I have on hand or PL 8 or 10. PL 10 is a nice starting point.

What scale of adventures are you seeking?
    Any.
    Most of the characters I put together are new to their powers.

Movie age if that is a thing.
    Possible for a character to be a full time hero.
    Realistic morality.

Is there anything that you really DO NOT like in a story?
    Time travel.
    As far as game mechanics it is best to avoid most summons, minions, and sidekicks.
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

The concept I had, (admittedly it might be a smidge too complicated to pull off) is a art dealer/archeologist who stumbled across a mystical artifact that would grant magical powers and accidentally activated it unlocking magical powers but cursing her at the same time. She uses her abilities to enhance or debuff others, but every positive "spell" she uses it comes with a negative drawback because of the curse.

I'm still looking into it as I dont have the book of ultimate power pdf anymore (I think it got purged with my dnd pdfs earlier this year) and was only able to find 3r MnM pdf.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Iím thinking about making a steampunk inventor from a alternate reality. If everybody else hates alternate realities for some reason, then maybe a demon-blooded sorceress or something.
    Current games:
    The Sunless Citadel
    Blade of the Four Fallen

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I have a couple ideas I've been sort of tossing around:

-Brick hero who can absorb and replace different materials. (i.e. can take on the properties of metal, or turn an enemy into a metal statue.) [Transform and various grab-based afflictions, with a dynamic array of various attributes to represent shifting materials.]

-Glass cannon gadgeteer type who summons weapons from parallel timelines (sorta). [Inventor, high intelligence, lots of tricky-to-use big gun weapons and a handful of utility powers that synergize with them]

-Bruiser who creates spikes out of solid surfaces, and has a custom suit of armor. May or may not be estranged daughter of a supervillain, depending on final campaign concept/tone. [Tough and bulky, Create for spiked barriers, lots of Reaction damage and/or charge attacks]

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

What scale of adventures are you seeking?
    I generally prefer a larger scale, to me what separates a superhero/villain is how effective conventional methods are against them.

I would genuinely love a silver age game, but I'm not picky.

Is there anything that you really DO NOT like in a story?
    Nnnnot really, I guess.

I have probably too many character builds I could use for this, but ultimately I'm pretty basic and would like to play a flying brick type.
    Last edited by Rhyvurg; 2019-09-13 at 04:54 AM.
    "Can you do science to it?"
    "I can do science to anything."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by zzzzzzzz414 View Post
    I have a couple ideas I've been sort of tossing around:

-Brick hero who can absorb and replace different materials. (i.e. can take on the properties of metal, or turn an enemy into a metal statue.) [Transform and various grab-based afflictions, with a dynamic array of various attributes to represent shifting materials.]

-Glass cannon gadgeteer type who summons weapons from parallel timelines (sorta). [Inventor, high intelligence, lots of tricky-to-use big gun weapons and a handful of utility powers that synergize with them]

-Bruiser who creates spikes out of solid surfaces, and has a custom suit of armor. May or may not be estranged daughter of a supervillain, depending on final campaign concept/tone. [Tough and bulky, Create for spiked barriers, lots of Reaction damage and/or charge attacks]
    If youíre going to be the inventor, Iíll double back on my second idea, I suppose. Maybe a cross between Raven and Nico Minoru? Will add in some Izzy the Godbinder from Die for flavor.
    Last edited by Vrock Bait; 2019-09-13 at 06:09 AM.
    Current games:
    The Sunless Citadel
    Blade of the Four Fallen

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

DM Ruling: Is only being able to gain powers from the Magic Power Profile limiting enough for the purpose of the Limited flaw? Or should I just have this flaw without any corresponding benefit, to balance out Variable?
    Current games:
    The Sunless Citadel
    Blade of the Four Fallen

30. - Top - End - #30

Variable is limited thematically to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by HeroSRD
    VARIABLE (GENERAL)
    Action: Standard ē Range: Personal ē Duration: Sustained ē Cost: 7 points per rank
    Under the Hood: Variable Effects
    Powers based off the Variable effect are obviously very flexible, capable of duplicating a wide range of other effects. Responsibility for controlling Variable effects in the game is placed largely in the hands of both the Gamemaster and responsible players. To do otherwise would require weighing the effect down with numerous game-system limitations that would keep it from doing what it is supposed to do: create a wide range of effects.
    Keep in mind a Variable effect is not supposed to be ďany effect I want.Ē That kind of unlimited power doesnít belong in the hands of player characters, and is better reserved as a plot device for NPCs. A Variable effect can be ďany effect within a given set of parameters,Ē but itís up to you and the GM to define those parameters. The limits of power flexibility are deliberately set by Variable effects, the use of extra effort, and victory points.
    Emphasis mine, but a Variable MUST be somewhat limited in scope at no cost. If you want a magic array per se, put slow on it, allowing you to only change your selection of spells with access to your base, a spell book, some sort of astral meditation, etc.

Only selecting things with a Magic descriptor is *not* a Limit at all. Remember, the Limited Flaw should come up about 50% of the time for it to be worth a cost discount. So picking a Variable which can only replicate magical effects is not as limiting as a Variable which only works at night.

Quote Originally Posted by HeroSRD
    LIMITED (-1 COST PER RANK)
    An effect with this flaw is not effective all the time. Limited powers generally break down into two types: those usable only in certain situations and those usable only on certain things. For example Only While Singing Loudly, Only While Flying, Only on Men (or Women), Only Against Fire, Not Usable on Yellow Things, and so forth. As a general rule, the effect must lose about half its usefulness to qualify for this modifier. Anything less limiting is better handled as an occasional complication.