The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: M&M3e?

1. - Top - End - #181
    Barbarian in the Playground

DrowGirl

Default Re: M&M3e?

Quote Originally Posted by Zhentarim View Post
    I’m fixing crunch as we speak—and have already made some edits, but I am not quite done yet. I’m solving some of the issues with illusion by rearranging the way I’ve set up that array—ie illusion by itself can still affect a fairly large area, but illusion plus anything extra is limited to 60 cubic feet. Can I add multiattack to my illusions to allow me to give each member in a group of enemies their own personal illusion to contend with?
    You might consider the Split modifier.
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

2. - Top - End - #182
    Troll in the Playground

I’ll probably do split for mind reading. I was under the impression illusion was already area and the area modifier just made it bigger. That said, split could work there too if I wanted a bunch of smaller illusions instead of just one big illusion. If the illusion affecting the group was all doing the same thing, I could see area being better, but if I wanted to heal one person with a helpful illusion, and harm an enemy with another illusion, and—well, that may be split with a feature to let me mix parts of the array.

The demon my girl has fused with likes to read minds and play off people’s fears to really terrorize their targets—and personalizing what each person in a group sees to their greatest fear when I’m doing either my illusion, shapeshifting, or telepathy would be great. Everybody I select in an area sees the same thing by default, right?

What would be cool is if my transformation of matter was real to some people but not real to others, as well.
    DnD Alignment: Neutral Evil
    M&M 3e Character Thread
    Spoiler: Dare you stare into Abaddon?
    Show

3. - Top - End - #183
    Bugbear in the Playground

Split is useless. Why do you want area mind reading anyways? If your Mind Reading is 10, and you want to probe five people you're only using two ranks for each person, and that still requires 5 points of split.

I'd be much more tempted to make Mind Reading no range, it now requires an attack roll to touch someone. Which means you can Power Attack with it.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

@Johel

I saw your PM, have been working on the crunch on and off and fixing the issues you pointed out. Sorry that this is a bit late. Just had a few things I wanted to ask about/address:

But if I understand well, you only have +6 to all Expertise skill checks, then ?
    No other benefits.
    Essentially, it gives her a +12 to 6 specific Expertise skills only; I've listed them in her skills section (Current Events, Fitness, Martial Arts, Sports, Pop Culture, Gardening)

You don’t have to add together the cost of Dynamic Alternate Effects.
    It works like a normal Array, you just pay 2 pts per Alternate Effect after the first one.
    The result is a power worth 33+2 = 35 PP
    Hm. The way I understood it is that you still have to pay for all the ranks of the powers you're using, and dynamic effects just let you change/move around those ranks?

So, in a normal array, you might have:

-[Power] 10 (currently active)
    -[Power] 10 (currently inactive)

For 11 PP, but you can only have one power on at a time; you can only have 10pp worth of powers "active" at once. Whereas with a dynamic array, you might have:

-[Power] 5 (currently active)

But it still costs 12pp, because you have 10pp worth of powers active (even though they're both at only rank 5).

So that's why I thought that the cost would come out as 55pp; Density and Lightness are both active, and (to start with) have 29 and 24 pp allocated to them. But later on she might decide to lower the ranks in Density and raise the ranks in Lightness, changing the distribution to, let's say, 21pp/32pp. Or she could put everything in Density, changing it to 0pp/53pp. (Well that would break PL but you get the idea). But the cost would be the same.

Am I misunderstanding something?

Unusual Physiology: Immunity (Life Support) (Limited to Half Effect) {5pp}

Please further explain how.
    Hm. Well, here's how I see it working: essentially, her cells and normal bodily functions are now being powered by the artifact that's merged with her. The artifact does need fuel, and because it's in a human-shaped body it gets that fuel through processes similar to her old human ones, but it's all magic powered now and much stronger/more efficient. So, doesn't need as much food, doesn't need as much sleep, doesn't need as much air, etc.

I don't actually know that much about biology so that's about as specific as I can get lol.
    1+1+4+1+2-2-1 = 7
    Not sure of the maths here
    Here's the process I used:

1 (acute) +1 (analytical) +4 (penetrates concealment)+ 1 (radius) +1 (Close detect) = 8 ranks of the Senses power

(1pp/rank cost) -1/rank = (1pp/2 ranks cost)

8 ranks of Senses = 4pp

4pp -(2pp flat Activation flaw) = 2pp total

(I realize that close detect + penetrates concealment might seem nonsensical at first; i basically picture it as being able to detect slightly "under the surface" of a touched object? so like, she could touch a wall and tell that it's thin wood paneling with metal underneath, but probably not all the way through to the other side or anything. I'll change it if that seems unworkable.)

5. - Top - End - #185
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Prime View Post
    Split is useless. Why do you want area mind reading anyways? If your Mind Reading is 10, and you want to probe five people you're only using two ranks for each person, and that still requires 5 points of split.

I'd be much more tempted to make Mind Reading no range, it now requires an attack roll to touch someone. Which means you can Power Attack with it.
    I’d rather only lower it one step—from perception down to ranged. I lost internet connection a few hours and only just got it back. Its my bedtime, now, though, so I’ll need to wait till after work to resume editing.
    M&M 3e Character Thread
    Show

6. - Top - End - #186

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Johel View Post
    • I expect each player to be able to post once every 24 hours.
    • Out of combat, if somebody doesn't post a message 24 hours after my last message, I consider they have nothing to add.
      I'll then go forward so the other players don't have to wait.
    • In combat, I'll ask you to send me by PM what your general strategy is.
      This is so that if you aren't posting after 24 hours and blocking a scene for others, I can still make your character act.
    This works for me.
    I am is the same time zone as LA, I post in my evenings.
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Zhentarim
    I’m fixing crunch as we speak—and have already made some edits, but I am not quite done yet.

I’m solving some of the issues with illusion by rearranging the way I’ve set up that array—ie illusion by itself can still affect a fairly large area, but illusion plus anything extra is limited to 60 cubic feet.

Can I add multiattack to my illusions to allow me to give each member in a group of enemies their own personal illusion to contend with? I suppose I could create an illusion for a group of enemies one at a time, but that would be time consuming.

I have the same question for mind reading—I want to get information from a group I’m fighting simultaneously (if everybody fails their save versus my mind reading).

Also, can I use my illusion ability in place of mental communication?
    I feel like I could just “illusion” a message into somebody’s mind since I already affect all senses with my illusions, including mental senses.

I used quirks and features to spell out what my variable would have done to morph, though I might add something for fast creatures (like trading attractiveness 2 for speed 2 in a form like a cheetah or horse) but I think I’ve covered my bases.
    I think you are focusing too much on the crunch here... when your backstory isn't even there.
    You first write down the concept and then you try to make the mechanics of your power work around the concept.
    Not the other way around.

I have no problem with you adding a "Mental Illusion only" power in the "Mistress of Illusion" array.
    But please consider the Power Level limits for the amount of ranks.
    So using Extras is fine but cranking Illusions above Rank 8 isn't, since it's an auto-hit attack that require a resistance save from the target.

Multiattack would be useless here : all your attacks are currently perception-based so you do not roll to hit.
    You want area of effect or split.

Mind Reading with split can work.
    It would make reading each target more difficult, as you are splitting the ranks between them.
    And you only had 2 ranks last time I checked so that would be 2 targets at most, each hit at rank 1 so that's VERY weak.
    Doing it with Area of effect can work better and wouldn't be that much more expansive in PP.

With SPLIT (2 targets) :
    Mind Reading +2 PP per rank
    Effortless +1 PP per rank
    Cumulative +1 PP per rank
    Sensory Link +1 PP per rank
    Feedback -1 PP per rank
    Subtle +2 PP flat
    Split +1 PP flat
    {2*(2+1+1+1-1)+2+1 = 11 PP}

With AREA (Burst 30 ft radius) :
    Area (Burst) +1 PP per rank
    Feedback -1 PP per rank
    Subtle +2 PP flat
    {2*(2+1+1+1+1-1)+2 = 12 PP}

Now, if you want to add ranks to Mind Reading, AREA's price is going to grow fast.
    But it will be more powerful than split.
    I would favor split for story reason, though :
    It's you choosing between focusing or spreading your mental might with surgical precision.
    Area is the brute force option where you are basically setting a blanket of mind-raping.

Illusions are a power that ask for a lot of creativity.
    You using auditory illusions to carry messages is clever and I'll allow it.
    But remember they are limited in range to your perception, which you are rolling at -3... which means your vision is already 30 feet shorter than your average human.

Using anything at the "Ranged" distance with your -4 in Dexterity is asking for failure.

You have until Tuesday to provide the backstory and fluff for each power.
    Past that, I'm sorry but we are going forward without you.

Quote Originally Posted by zzzzzzzz414
    Essentially, it gives her a +12 to 6 specific Expertise skills only; I've listed them in her skills section (Current Events, Fitness, Martial Arts, Sports, Pop Culture, Gardening)
    Ok, I see What you mean then.

Quirk 2 (Int modifier only applies to one Expertise skill per 2 ranks) {5pp}
    The way I understood, it meant that, for every 2 ranks in Intelligence, you only get +1 in an untrained expertise skill.
    Reading it again, it can mean you get as-if-trained in 1 expertise skill per 2 ranks in Intelligence.
    It is clear for me and accepted. It is clearly NOT overpowered.

Hm. The way I understood it is that you still have to pay for all the ranks of the powers you're using, and dynamic effects just let you change/move around those ranks?

So, in a normal array, you might have:

-[Power] 10 (currently active)
    -[Power] 10 (currently inactive)

For 11 PP, but you can only have one power on at a time; you can only have 10pp worth of powers "active" at once. Whereas with a dynamic array, you might have:

But it still costs 12pp, because you have 10pp worth of powers active (even though they're both at only rank 5).

So that's why I thought that the cost would come out as 55pp; Density and Lightness are both active, and (to start with) have 29 and 24 pp allocated to them. But later on she might decide to lower the ranks in Density and raise the ranks in Lightness, changing the distribution to, let's say, 21pp/32pp. Or she could put everything in Density, changing it to 0pp/53pp. (Well that would break PL but you get the idea). But the cost would be the same.

Am I misunderstanding something?
    You pay it like a normal Array (ndlr : the most expensive power + 2 PP / additional power)
    The difference is that, when using a normal Array, you can only ever maintain one single power active.
    Here, you can maintain all of them BUT only at a variable fraction of the power rank.

So you could switch each round between the following settings, using a free action to switch :
    • Density 5 / Lightness 0 : Fortitude +5; Strength +10; Protection +10; Dodge +0; Parry +0; Close Combat (Unarmed) +0; Acrobatics +0; Flight +0
    • Density 4 / Lightness 1 : Fortitude +4; Strength +8; Protection +8; Dodge +2; Parry +2; Close Combat (Unarmed) +1; Acrobatics +1; Flight +1
    • Density 3 / Lightness 2 : Fortitude +3; Strength +6; Protection +6; Dodge +4; Parry +4; Close Combat (Unarmed) +2; Acrobatics +2; Flight +2
    • Density 2 / Lightness 3 : Fortitude +2; Strength +4; Protection +4; Dodge +6; Parry +6; Close Combat (Unarmed) +3; Acrobatics +3; Flight +3
    • Density 1 / Lightness 4 : Fortitude +1; Strength +2; Protection +2; Dodge +8; Parry +8; Close Combat (Unarmed) +4; Acrobatics +4; Flight +4
    • Density 0 / Lightness 5 : Fortitude +0; Strength +0; Protection +0; Dodge +10; Parry +10; Close Combat (Unarmed) +5; Acrobatics +5; Flight +5

But you would only have to pay the most expensive power (here Density at 33 PP) + 2 PP / additional power (here 1, so +2) = 35 PP

Here's the process I used:
    Ok for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhentarim
    —Morph (rank 4)
    Continuous
    Resistible by will

Linked
    Enhanced traits
    Continuous modifier
    Resistible by will

Presence +11 ----> 22 PP
    Intimidate +14
    Total of Intimidate with this = +25, when Power Level limits is 16
    So that Intimidate bonus goes down to +4 and cost only +2 PP

Attractive (2 ranks) ----> 2 PP
    Skill Mastery (Intimidate) ----> 1 PP
    Startle ----> 1 PP

Feature (1 point)
    Intimidate skill checks can be made as a free action rather than the action typically required while morphed.
    ---> OK

Quirk (-1 point)
    If morph is used to take the form of a flying creature like a bat, bird, angel, helicopter, or demon, The Pink Trickster gets Attractive (1 rank) rather than Attractive (2 ranks).
    ---> OK
    Feature (1 point):
    If morph is used to take the form of a flying creature like bat, bird, angel, helicopter, or demon, The Pink Trickster gains flight (1 rank) with the wings flaw.
    ---> OK

Quirk (-1 point):
    If The Pink Trickster takes the form of an aquatic creature, like a frog, fish, shark, submarine, or scuba diver, The Pink Trickster does not gain the Attractive advantage at all.
    Feature (1 point):
    If The Pink Trickster takes the form of an aquatic creature, like a frog, fish, shark, submarine, or scuba diver, The Pink Trickster gains swimming (1 rank) and immunity to drowning.
    ---> OK

{(6*4)+22+7+2+1-1+1-1+1=55 points}
    {(6*4)+22+2+2+1+1 +1 -1+1 -1+1 = 53 PP}

—[PSIONIC FORM]
    Concealment (All senses other than tactile, 10 ranks)
    Continuous

Linked Insubstantial (rank 4)
    Continuous

Linked Flight
    Wings flaw (rank 1) {(3*10)+(6*4)+1=55 points}
    Morph allows you to take any form you want but doesn't change your traits.
    Using Enhanced Traits in link power is clever... but you are still limited to the Power Level limits.

Resistible flaw isn't a flaw when the power applies only to your own character.
    So no, doesn't work for enhanced traits

Insubstantial (rank 4) (Psionic Energy) :
    As I said :
    The "I'm made up of Psionic Energy" can be tricky and open a pseudo-science debate.
    Crunch-wize, it makes you immune to everything except other psionic attacks, which there will not be many unless I stack the odds against you.
    But taking Incorporeal 4 will make a lot of things very costly for you (5PP + the need to use "Affect Corporeal" on all your powers)
    So I'm waiting to see the sheet and we can discuss it then.

I see you did NOT take the "Affect Corporeal" so you are in effect just an flying invisible ghost who cannot affect material things when using this.
    I'm ok with this.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

System: Mutants and Masterminds 3rd Edition
    Player Count: 4-8
    Style of Play: Play-By-Post
    Allowed Content: All publications from Green Ronin for M&M3

Character Creation:

• Backstory: 2-3 paragraphs is enough but the more the better
    • Experience: PL8 with 170 PP - PL 9 with 160PP - PL 10 with 150 PP
    • Alignment: Let's avoid the "anti-heroes"

Other Notes:

Spoiler: The 16 Questions
    Show
    1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?
    Mutants and Masterminds 3rd Edition

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?
    Modern World in an alternate history

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?
    Ideally 5 but we could work with anything between 4 to 8

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?
    OOTS forum is fine.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
    The game difficulty will be tailored for PL 10 with 150 PP
    But a lower PL character with bonus PP can work too

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
    Not Applicable.

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?
    Not Applicable.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?
    Not Applicable.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?
    Fixed PP depending of PL
    • PL 10 gets 150 PP
    • PL 9 gets 160 PP
    • PL 8 gets 170 PP

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
    No alignment but let's keep this on the "good" side of the axis.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?
    No class so anything goes with GM approval

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?
    If a player wants his character to do something, he rolls for his character and for any NPC under his control.
    They roll in the IC thread.
    I roll for any NPC that is not controlled by the players.
    If a player is absent in the middle of a fight, I'll roll for his character.
    The die won't be altered : you succeed, congratulation. You fail ? well, too bad.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.
    Not really. If something makes a problem, we agree on a compromise on a case-by-case basis.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
    Yes. 2 paragraphs or more.
    Justification for the presence in the city of New Delphi can be nice but I can make something up if needed.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
    It's mainly puzzle solving with hack & slash.
    Roleplaying is integral with puzzle solving and investigation.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?
    Anything from Green Ronin for the 3rd Edition of M&M is fine

9. - Top - End - #189
    Troll in the Playground

I think you are focusing too much on the crunch here... when your backstory isn't even there.
    You first write down the concept and then you try to make the mechanics of your power work around the concept.
    Not the other way around.

I have no problem with you adding a "Mental Illusion only" power in the "Mistress of Illusion" array.
    But please consider the Power Level limits for the amount of ranks.
    So using Extras is fine but cranking Illusions above Rank 8 isn't, since it's an auto-hit attack that require a resistance save from the target.

Multiattack would be useless here : all your attacks are currently perception-based so you do not roll to hit.
    You want area of effect or split.

Mind Reading with split can work.
    It would make reading each target more difficult, as you are splitting the ranks between them.
    And you only had 2 ranks last time I checked so that would be 2 targets at most, each hit at rank 1 so that's VERY weak.
    Doing it with Area of effect can work better and wouldn't be that much more expansive in PP.

With SPLIT (2 targets) :
    Feedback -1 PP per rank
    Subtle +2 PP flat
    Split +1 PP flat
    {2*(2+1+1+1-1)+2+1 = 11 PP}

With AREA (Burst 30 ft radius) :
    Area (Burst) +1 PP per rank
    Feedback -1 PP per rank
    Subtle +2 PP flat
    {2*(2+1+1+1+1-1)+2 = 12 PP}

Now, if you want to add ranks to Mind Reading, AREA's price is going to grow fast.
    But it will be more powerful than split.
    I would favor split for story reason, though :
    It's you choosing between focusing or spreading your mental might with surgical precision.
    Area is the brute force option where you are basically setting a blanket of mind-raping.

Illusions are a power that ask for a lot of creativity.
    You using auditory illusions to carry messages is clever and I'll allow it.
    But remember they are limited in range to your perception, which you are rolling at -3... which means your vision is already 30 feet shorter than your average human.

Using anything at the "Ranged" distance with your -4 in Dexterity is asking for failure.

You have until Tuesday to provide the backstory and fluff for each power.
    Past that, I'm sorry but we are going forward without you.

Ok, I see What you mean then.

Quirk 2 (Int modifier only applies to one Expertise skill per 2 ranks) {5pp}
    The way I understood, it meant that, for every 2 ranks in Intelligence, you only get +1 in an untrained expertise skill.
    Reading it again, it can mean you get as-if-trained in 1 expertise skill per 2 ranks in Intelligence.
    It is clear for me and accepted. It is clearly NOT overpowered.

You pay it like a normal Array (ndlr : the most expensive power + 2 PP / additional power)
    The difference is that, when using a normal Array, you can only ever maintain one single power active.
    Here, you can maintain all of them BUT only at a variable fraction of the power rank.

So you could switch each round between the following settings, using a free action to switch :
    • Density 5 / Lightness 0 : Fortitude +5; Strength +10; Protection +10; Dodge +0; Parry +0; Close Combat (Unarmed) +0; Acrobatics +0; Flight +0
    • Density 4 / Lightness 1 : Fortitude +4; Strength +8; Protection +8; Dodge +2; Parry +2; Close Combat (Unarmed) +1; Acrobatics +1; Flight +1
    • Density 3 / Lightness 2 : Fortitude +3; Strength +6; Protection +6; Dodge +4; Parry +4; Close Combat (Unarmed) +2; Acrobatics +2; Flight +2
    • Density 2 / Lightness 3 : Fortitude +2; Strength +4; Protection +4; Dodge +6; Parry +6; Close Combat (Unarmed) +3; Acrobatics +3; Flight +3
    • Density 1 / Lightness 4 : Fortitude +1; Strength +2; Protection +2; Dodge +8; Parry +8; Close Combat (Unarmed) +4; Acrobatics +4; Flight +4
    • Density 0 / Lightness 5 : Fortitude +0; Strength +0; Protection +0; Dodge +10; Parry +10; Close Combat (Unarmed) +5; Acrobatics +5; Flight +5

But you would only have to pay the most expensive power (here Density at 33 PP) + 2 PP / additional power (here 1, so +2) = 35 PP

Ok for me.

Morph allows you to take any form you want but doesn't change your traits.
    Using Enhanced Traits in link power is clever... but you are still limited to the Power Level limits.

Resistible flaw isn't a flaw when the power applies only to your own character.
    So no, doesn't work for enhanced traits

Insubstantial (rank 4) (Psionic Energy) :
    As I said :
    The "I'm made up of Psionic Energy" can be tricky and open a pseudo-science debate.
    Crunch-wize, it makes you immune to everything except other psionic attacks, which there will not be many unless I stack the odds against you.
    But taking Incorporeal 4 will make a lot of things very costly for you (5PP + the need to use "Affect Corporeal" on all your powers)
    So I'm waiting to see the sheet and we can discuss it then.

I see you did NOT take the "Affect Corporeal" so you are in effect just an flying invisible ghost who cannot affect material things when using this.
    I'm ok with this.
    I was thinking of my limited to night boost—lol.

I’m writing my backstory and complications now.
    Last edited by Zhentarim; 2019-09-23 at 08:34 PM.
    M&M 3e Character Thread
    Show

10. - Top - End - #190

DrowGirl

The 16 Questions
    ... I am fairly certain that this does not necessitate any changes to my sheet.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Powers Fixed, Complications Done, Backstory Done
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhentarim View Post
    Build Option: PL 8 with 170 PP

Ms. Lapis Falsey, High School Freshman//The Pink Trickster

Spoiler: Secret Identity=Lapis Falsey, Special Needs High School Freshman
    Show

Spoiler: Ssila'meshnik
    Show

Spoiler: Superhero Identity=The Pink Trickster
    Show

Spoiler: Powers (113 points)
    Show

Spoiler: Mistress of Illusion (81 points)
    Show

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Array:
    —Subtle (rank 2) Mental Illusion with Independent Extra (2 ranks) with 70 ranks extra area modifier {(2*6)+(2*31)=76 points}
    —Subtle (rank 2) Mental Illusion with Independent Extra (effects all senses) (6 ranks) with linked transform (anything into anything else) with continuous extra (6 ranks) {2+(6*6)(6*6)=74 points}
    —Subtle (rank 2) Mental Illusion with Independent Extra (effects all senses) (8 ranks) with linked Perception Ranged Damage (8 ranks) {2+(8*6)+(8*3)=72 points}
    —Subtle (rank 2) Mental Illusion with Independent Extra (effects all senses) (5 ranks) with linked perception ranged healing with resurrection extra and stabilize extra and feature (1 point) “illusory food created with this power provides nutrition to those who eat it in addition to the healing effects mentioned” (4 ranks) {2+(5*6)+(1+(4*10))= 73 points}

—Subtle (rank 2) Mental Illusion with Independent Extra (Effects all Senses) (8 ranks) {2+(8*6)=50 points}
    —Subtle (rank 2) Insidious Perception (blocked by concealment, but not cover) Ranged Concealment (Effects all Senses, 10 ranks) Attack with Continuous Modifier and “The Pink Trickster can still perceive anybody she has affected with this attack even if nobody else can so long as they remain affected by this attack” Feature. {2+1+(3*10)=33 points}

Spoiler: Mistress of Many Forms (59 power points)
    Show

Show
    Array (41+1+1 points):
    —Morph (rank 4) with continuous modifier and resistible by will flaw and linked enhanced traits with continuous modifier: Presence +11, Intimidate +2, Attractive (2 ranks) Advantage, Skill Mastery (Intimidate) Advantage and Startle Advantage. Feature (1 point): Intimidate skill checks can be made as a free action rather than the action typically required while morphed. Quirk (-1 point): If morph is used to take the form of a flying creature like a bat, bird, angel, helicopter, or demon, The Pink Trickster gets Attractive (1 rank) rather than Attractive (2 ranks). Feature (1 point): If morph is used to take the form of a flying creature like bat, bird, angel, helicopter, or demon, The Pink Trickster gains flight (1 rank) with the wings flaw. Quirk (-1 point):If The Pink Trickster takes the form of an aquatic creature, like a frog, fish, shark, submarine, or scuba diver, The Pink Trickster does not gain the Attractive advantage at all. Feature (1 point): If The Pink Trickster takes the form of an aquatic creature, like a frog, fish, shark, submarine, or scuba diver, The Pink Trickster gains swimming (1 rank) and immunity to drowning. Quirk (-1 point): If The Pink Trickster takes the form of a fast creature, like a cheetah, automobile, motorcycle, or a fast zombie, The Pink Trickster does not gain the Attractive advantage at all. Feature (1 point): If The Pink Trickster takes the form of a fast creature, like a cheetah, automobile, motorcycle, or a fast zombie, The Pink Trickster gains Speed (rank 2). Quirk (-1 point): If The Pink Trickster takes the form of a vehicle that can travel through the vacuum of space, like a spaceship, The Pink Trickster does not gain the Attractive or Startle advantages at all and gains no bonus to presence or intimidate. Feature (1 point): If The Pink Trickster takes the form of a vehicle that can travel through the vacuum of space, like a spaceship, The Pink Trickster gains immunity (life support, 10 ranks), flight rank 1, and space travel rank 2. Feature (1 point): Any immunities granted to The Pink Trickter while in the form of a vehicle are conferred to her passengers so long as they are inside her. {(6*4)+22+7+2+1 -1+1 -1+1 -1+1 -1+1 -1+1 +1=55 points}
    —[PSIONIC FORM] Concealment (All senses other than tactile, 10 ranks) with Continuous Modifier, with linked Insubstantial (rank 4) with Continuous Modifier with linked Flight with wings flaw (rank 1) {(3*10)+(6*4)+1=55 points}
    —Growth with Continuous Extra (18 ranks=54 points)
    —Shrinking with Continuous Extra and Normal Strength Extra (13 ranks=52 points)
    —[SPIDER SWARM FORM] Insubstantial Rank 1 (Mass of angry venomous spiders all crawling on top of each other) plus Strike 8 plus Progressive Extra Condition Affliction 8 (resisted by fortitude) (Dazed and Hindered->Stunned and Defenseless->Transformed and Controlled) {5+(1*8)+(3*8)=37 points)

Spoiler: Mistress of Mind and Memories (16 points)
    Show

Show
    Array:
    —[MIND CONTROL] Insidious Ranged Perception Affliction Resisted by Will with Split Modifier: Dazed->Compelled->Controlled (2 ranks) {(2*5)+1=11 points}
    —Mind Reading with Effortless Extra and Cumulative Extra and Sensory Link Extra and 2 ranks of Subtle with Feedback Flaw (2 ranks={2+1+(4*2)= 11 points}
    —Dimensional Travel (Mindscape dimensions) (2 ranks) with affects self or others extra and increased mass extra (4 ranks) with “must perceive a person or creature with a mind to enter their mindscape” quirk and “actions taken in mindscapes have a lasting effect on the person connected to that mindscape” feature {(2*3)+4-1+1=10 points}
    —Postcognition with 6 ranks of Rapid Extra (4+6=10 points)
    —Uncontrolled Precognition with 7 ranks of rapid extra(GM can activate this as a plot device, but I cannot activate it myself) (3+7=10 points)
    —[MODIFY MEMORY] Affliction resisted by will with limited to one degree flaw and limited to only adding or erasing memories from the subject’s mind: (N/A)->(N/A)->Transformed (6 ranks=2 points)

Spoiler: Mistress of Midnight (14 points)
    Show

Show
    Enhanced Traits (Limited to Night): Stamina +2, Agility +2, Strength +2, Fighting +2, Intellect +2, Awareness +2, Presence +2

Spoiler: Mistress of Many Ages (2 points)
    Show

Show
    Aging Immunity (1 point)
    Immortality with Limited Flaw “The Pink Trickster’s remains must be at least mostly (80%) intact (ie, no cremation and scattering the ashes or chopping the body up and separating the pieces)” (1 rank=1 point)

Spoiler: Abilities (52 points)
    Show
    Stamina: +/- 0
    Agility: +6
    Strength: +6
    Dexterity: +6
    Fighting: +6
    Intellect: -2
    Awareness: +6
    Presence: -2

Spoiler: Skills (2 points)
    Show

Slight of Hand: +1
    Expertise (Pop Culture): +1
    Athletics: +1
    Insight: +1

Spoiler: Advantages (3 points)
    Show

—Jack-of-All-Trades: Lapis Falsey may not be the smartest or most popular girl due to her disability, but she has never let that hold her back and has tried at least everything once
    —Well-Informed: Lapis Falsey watches a lot of television, and as such knows all the actors and who they play, as well as anybody who has spent any time on tv—even if they were just on the news briefly. In addition, though her general intellect is low due to her moderate intellectual disability, she picks up obscure information here and there which shocks those who underestimate how much she knows.
    —Skill-Mastery [Expertise (Pop Culture)]: Even in times of crisis, Lapis can think back to something she saw on TV and sometimes this gives her an idea of how to solve a situation.

Spoiler: Complications
    Show
    Motivation: Doing Good—Lapis is a kind hearted girl, despite the evil being her essense is fused with. Lapis is fused with Ssila'meshnik, but Lapis has dominant control of the body.

Vulnerability to Holy Descriptor: Ssila'meshnik is a demon and has tangled with Earth’s inhabitants before. After his visit to ancient Mesopotamia, people in that region created holy relics designed to harm him—and the modern holy relics bear a close enough resemblance to hurt Ssila'meshnik, and since The Pink Trickster is 50% Ssila'meshnik, The Pink Trickster takes double the negative effect from Holy effects and never gains benefits.

Holding down Ssila'meshnik: In any given scene, roll 1d100. On a 1, Ssila'meshnik temporarily overpowers Lapis and gains control.

Disability: Downs Syndrome

Spoiler: Lapis Falsey Backstory
    Show
    Lapis Falsey was born in New Delphi as a young girl with Downs Syndrome and a Moderate Intellectual Disability. Despite being 17, she has the intellectual capabilities of somebody around the age of 10. Despite this, she was always skilled at gymnastics and had a passion for pop culture. Teachers discovered this talent and she was soon made into a Special Olympian—competing every year in the Special Olympic Games. This was a big deal to Lapis since she spent her time at school in a self-contained classroom with other teenagers who had mild to moderate intellectual disabilities. Lapis would brag to all her friends that she was going to be just like the people on TV.

During her bus ride to what was going to be her 12 year competing as a gymnast in the special olympics, her life changed forever.

Spoiler: Ssila'meshnik backstory
    Show
    Ssila'meshnik was an interstellar psionic entity who lived and bred in the dark places between the stars. It would alight upon a world with life on it once every few eons to feed, and would use its shapeshifting, reality warping, telepathic, and illusory powers to season its prey with fear. The meat always tasted better to Ssila'meshnik when it died scared.

Spoiler: Ssila'meshnik and Lapis Falsey Combined Backstory
    Show
    Ssila'meshnik made the bus crash when he projected the illusion of the driver’s family on the road. He ripped the roof off the bus and began picking children to eat at random. Lapis saw he had a crown floating above his head and for reasons Lapis can’t explain why—she knew she had to grab that crown. Using her gymnastic abilities, she was able to grab the crown and upon doing so, Ssila'meshnik and Lapis were in a shared mindscape, though Lapis can’t tell if it was her mind or Ssila'meshnik. Fearlessly, Lapis was able to land a blow on the beast. A flash of light, then everything went dark. Next thing she knew, she was laying in the hospital, and had memories of horrible things—things she did—but not as a human...not on earth. She remembered the creature she fought—a horrible serpentine creature like out of a scary movie. She looked into the hospital bathroom and the face looking back at her was not her own. It was the lizard-like face of the creature she fought—with purple eyes and sharp teeth. Closing her purple eyes and panicking, she quickly “not real! not real! not real!” and opened her eyes once more to see her own face. Lapis regularly hears a voice calling itself Ssila'meshnik threatening to escape and kill her for fusing with it, but through this voice, Lapis learned to control her powers granted by this being she fused essences with. Every time Ssila'meshnik would try to tempt her to do evil so Ssila'meshnik could taste frightened flesh vicariously through Lapis’s mouth, Lapis would take that advice and use it to do something nice instead—like throwing a birthday party for a friend with illusionary enhancements to make it the best party ever or using her reality warping abilities to turn air into food for a homeless man. Once she used turned her ability to harm with illusions inside out and made an Illusory healing spa for old people that had healing waters that healed the sick people at the nursing home. She even turned air into a wooden cage once when she encountered a group of robbers while using her illusion powers to make them all see each other as cops. Not to mention her ability to turn into psionic energy has let her see cute boys in the locker room. She’s had a lot of fun, and has helped a lot of people despite the evil source of her power. She still doesn’t remember how she got so lucky.

A lot of why and how certain powers work is self explanatory based on my backstory and complications, but I’ll add more fluff to each subsection tomorrow after work. I teach, so I get busy.
    M&M 3e Character Thread
    Show

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ettin in the Playground

Made some slight changes to his base stats to free up some points, but it's otherwise the same.

Cyrus "Lamprey" Mckenzie
    PL9

Spoiler: Crunch
    Show
    Abilities
    Strength 2 (5)
    Stamina 3 (7),
    Agility 1
    Dexterity 1
    Fighting 0
    Intellect 2
    Awareness 1 (7)
    Presence 1 (7)

Spoiler: Powers
    Show

Empathic Senses: (11 PP Array)
    Aura Sight (8 PP) Senses 7
    Mental Detect Emotions (+2)
    Acute (+1)
    Analytical (+1)
    Counters Darkness (+2)
    Mental Awareness (+1)
    Immunity 5- Deception; Check Required (Insight) 4
    Quirk (0 PP): Functions with the benefits and limitations of a visual sense
    Alt: Aura Scent: Senses 5 (6 PP Ability)
    Tracking 2 (+2)
    Mental Awareness (+1)
    Quirk: Functions with the benefits and limitations of an Olfactory sense
    Alt: Aura Echo: Senses 4 (5 PP)
    Acute 1 (Differentiate People) (+1)
    Extended (+1)
    Mental Awareness (+1)
    Quirk (0 PP) Functions with the benefits and limitations of an Auditory Sense
    Alt: Remnants: Senses 4 (2 PP)
    Postcognition (Mental)
    Limited: Only Tells information about Emotions and Positioning (Who was where, what they were feeling, where they moved)

Empathic Tricks (17 PP):
    Stand Out (16 PP)
    Cyrus amplifies his presence to make himself seem more personable
    Enhanced Advantages 7 (7 PP)
    Assessment
    Fascinate 3 (Deception, Intimidation, Persuasion)
    Attractive 2
    Animal Empathy
    Linked: People Person- Enhanced Skills 18 (9 PP)
    Intimidation +6
    Deception +6
    Persuasion +6
    Alt: Blend In: (13 PP) Cyrus broadcasts the psychic equivalent of white noise to prevent people from paying too much attention to him
    Morph 1
    "Uh... he was Black. Kinda tall I think? Didn't really get a good look at his face, though." (A nondescript, generic-looking individual)
    Resistible (Will)
    Linked: Enhanced Skills 6- Stealth (+12)
    Linked: Advantage: Hide in Plain Sight

Mental Enhancements: (14 PP)
    Heightened Awareness: Enhanced Awareness 6
    Dyn: Enthralling Countenance: Enhanced Presence 6

Psychic Leech (32 PP)
    Cyrus's "Vampiric" Ability, along with a few odds and ends he's picked from consuming the aura of others.
    Aura Pulse (27 PP)
    Mental Blast 9
    The first power he "copied," originally the work of a telepath. The burst of psychic energy that Cyrus produces is unfortunately not as refined.
    Burst Area(+1/Rank)
    Reduced Range (Close) (-2/Rank)
    Alt: Replicate Aura (27 PP)
    Using his ability to manipulate his own aura, Cyrus is able to make himself "feel" like other psychics (and some energy controllers) and do similar things to what they can do for a short time.
    Mimic 4
    Limited: Psychic or Energy-Based Powers
    Quirk: Requires successful Emotion Drain attack
    Quirk: Mimicked Powers that originally had elemental descriptors such as ""fire"" or ""lightning"" will only do force damage
    Alt: Aura Shield: (14 PP)
    A Power he picked up from a force-field user. Can't really project much of a large field, but because his aura affects his body, using it in this fashion also increases his physical resilience.
    Protection 6, Enhanced Stamina 4
    Alt: Emotion Drain (20 PP)
    Affliction 10
    Degree 1: Dazed & Presence Impaired | Degree 2: Disabled & Defenseless | Degree 3: Incapacitated & Unaware
    Will Resists
    Extra Condition (+1/Rank)
    Alt: Dream Eater
    Immunity 10 (Mental)
    Cyrus uses his aura absorption ability to consume another psychic's projected aura before it can attempt to affect him, or to remove the effects from other person's mind
    Affects Others (+1/Rank)
    Quirk: Must maintain contact to grant another person immunity
    Alt: Force Strike
    A weak telekinetic field that Cyrus uses both to lift heavier objects and increase the force behind his blows
    Enhanced Strength 3

Equipment
    Spiked Dusters: Damage 3 [Strength-Based, Piercing; Dangerous 1] (4EP)
    Standard Equipment
    Flashlight (1 ep)
    Pepper Spray (2 ep)
    Gas Mask (1 ep)
    Smartphone (2 ep)

Spoiler: Advantages (9 PP)
    Show
    Connected
    Contacts
    Diehard
    Equipment 2
    Improved Initiative 2
    Startle
    Taunt

Enhanced Advantages:
    Animal Empathy
    Assessment
    Fascinate 3 [Deception, Intimidation, Persuasion]
    Hide in Plain Sight

Spoiler: Skills (45 PP)
    Show

Skill Ranks (Purchased) Stat (Base) Ranks (Enhanced) Stats (Enhanced) Total
    Acrobatics 8 1 9
    Athletics 6 2 +3 11
    Close Combat (Unarmed) 8 0 8
    Deception 4 +1 +6 +6 17
    Expertise (Streetwise) 10 2 12
    Insight 12 +1 +6 19
    Intimidation 4 +1 +6 +6 17
    Investigation 11 +2 13
    Perception 4 +1 +6 +6 17
    Persuasion 4 +1 +6 +6 17
    Stealth 1 +1 +12 14
    Technology 8 +2 10
    Treatment 4 +2 6

Offense
    Initiative +9
    Duster Strike +8, Damage 8GG
    Aura Pulse Burst Area, Damage 6
    Emotion Drain +8, Affliction 10

Defenses (13 PP)
    Dodge- 1 AGL + 4 Ranks= 5
    Parry 0 FGT+ 5 Ranks = 5
    Toughness 3 STA+ 4 Enhanced+ 6 Protection + 0 Defensive Roll = 13
    Fortitude 3 STA+ 4 Enhanced =7
    Will 1 AWE+ 6 Enhanced+ 4 Ranks= 11

Spoiler: Backstory
    Show
    Some people say The Leech is a metahuman. Some say he's a regular guy who somehow unlocked the mystical art of Ki manipulation. Some say he may be part vampire, demon, or maybe a bit of both. Either way, nobody wanted to get too close, not just because he'd suck your soul out and then punch through a wall, but because he was a high-ranking official in The Mob.
    Few people ever wanted to look into The Leech's home life. Fewer still succeeded in learning something. Not many of those people lived top share any stories
    He had a woman at home- wife or girlfriend, nobody could confirm. Moderately powerful telepath, but highly skilled. How he managed to get her in his grips is a mystery to itself, but maybe he had some hidden charm.
    They had a kid- psychic as well, so he probably took after his mother.
    That's who we're really focused on, here.
    See, for whatever reason, The Leech didnt just suck the life out of people, he fed on the energy. It was part of his whole vampire/demon gig. And when he couldn't get his hands on enough prey on the streets, he set his sights on his family.
    His girl took it in stride for the most part- he had a slight resistance to her psychic power and got a strength boost from his feedings- she wouldn't stand much of a chance in a fight.
    But then he put his hands on their son, and she didn't like that at all. She ran. Packed up and got out, went three or four cities over to New Delphi.
    She didn't have much, and struggled to stay afloat, but eventually she got there.
    With a little help from her son.
    There's a lot of use for a psychic in the not-so-legal underworld of the city, and Cyrus found his niche pretty quickly. He made a name for himself on the streets. He was a smuggler, a lookout, and a spy wrapped up in a nice little package. Not worth the big bucks, but worth a good stack every once in a while. When he couldn't find work, he could get by with finding a missing or wanted person and picking up the reward.
    It was during his search for a missing kid that he stumbled upon a child abduction ring. Full-on pied piper situation. He didn't like that. He'd sworn off using his father's power, but he got so mad then that the promise didn't matter.
    He wasn't letting any more kids get hurt. Not like he was.
    He hunted the leaders down, one by one, and drained them until they were vegetables.
    Hey, if he had to use this evil power, he may as well point it at the bad sort.
    He started to slowly go legit- lightened up on the gang work, did more investigation. Soon enough, the Lamprey was a household name.
    Okay, no it wasn't. But people knew it.
    He never considered himself a cape, but one day he got his lines crossed with a few of them. They had the same goal, though, so he worked with them. He's an agreeable sort.
    He hasn't made it official or anything, but he did buy a mask to wear, and he does have a code name...
    So maybe he isn't one of the good guys, but that doesn't mean he isn't on their side.

Spoiler: Complications
    Show
    Addiction: Cyrus' s body is partly sustained by draining the aura of others. Using his powers tends to make him hungry.
    Power Reduction/Loss- Aside from his Empathic Senses array and his Emotion Drain and Dream Eater Powers, all of his psychic abilities Fade by a rank of effectiveness every half hour, and are Refilled by a successful Emotion Drain attack. In addition, every round in which he uses any abilities in the "Psycho Leech" Array other than Emotion Drain or Dream Eater will drain an amount of aura roughly equivalent to what he'd lose in 15 minutes.
    Disability- Prosopagnosia: An empath from birth, Cyrus has been using his abilities to tell people apart for his entire life, and as a result never learned to differentiate faces. He can still tell people apart through broad categories (sex, race, body type, clothing), but he is unable to describe or parse faces themselves, and it is virtually impossible for him to recognize a person from a portrait, photograph, video, etc.
    Empathic Sympathy- Cyrus subconsciously "picks up" on the emotional states of others, and may occasionally be affected by others' Emotional-based complications
    Motivation- Doing Good/Redemption: Cyrus doesn't like his powers very much, he often thinks of himself as a parasite, but he figures that if he has to use his abilities, he may as well point himself at the people who do bad stuff.
    Nemesis: The Leech is still out there somewhere. If he wants his family back, he may have the right connections to find them.
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2019-10-13 at 11:57 AM.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

AFAIK I dont think the questions affect my chracter, who should be good for a final look over.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Troll in the Playground

Should I make a discord for this?
    M&M 3e Character Thread
    Show

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Hello everyone,

First, sorry for the delay.
    Real Life called hard and I had to prioritized, hence the 24 hours delay for the start of the game.

Second, the game is a go.
    The past two weeks, we went together through the various characters and I believe we have something good.
    If there are crunch mistakes I didn't see, we'll handle them as they appear, with fairplay :
    I didn't see it and you didn't think it was a problem so it shouldn't penalize you as long as it doesn't penalize other players.

The OOC :
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...52&postcount=1

If you have been approved (and have received a MP therefore), please post a message here with :
    • the name of your character
    • the font and color you'll be using for its speech
    • the latest version of your character sheet (which I'll use to update the link of for the table above)
    • any other relevant informations.

Refrain from posting other OOC messages here until every other player has posted his/her first message.

The IC :
    I'll post in 12 hours at most.
    A message from each player in the next 48 hours would be great.