The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: M&M3e?

1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: M&M3e?

Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    [url=https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ph6jb_JaEGxvScNWnCvtwKU9wSpo0GA3mqIdR5wxZA0/edit?usp=drivesdk] Here's the PL7 mechanics, and I'll be updating those to either PL8 or 10, as well as posting a backstory soon.
    The link seems broken
    DnD Alignment: Neutral Evil
    M&M 3e Character Thread
    Spoiler: Dare you stare into Abaddon?
    Show

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Prime View Post
    Fair enough, if we are playing a Guardians of the Galaxy campaign I could see it. So if that's the case, I apologize, if we're on Earth, you'll likely need to pay the Device cost.
    Oh, ok. If the items aren’t allowed, then I’ll have to change Adamant back into a supernatural character.
    Current games:
    The Sunless Citadel
    Blade of the Four Fallen
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodbyeSoberDay
    I think this teaches us a valuable lesson. At bizarrely low levels of optimization, the tier system disappears. In its place is the "we can't even beat CR=ECL-5 foes" system.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zhentarim View Post
    The link seems broken
    Already fixed.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

4. - Top - End - #64
    Bugbear in the Playground

I've never made a telepath before. Is mind reading a power you would want near max? All the prebuilt versions of them are at half power level so I was curious.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Prime View Post
    Fair enough, if we are playing a Guardians of the Galaxy campaign I could see it. So if that's the case, I apologize, if we're on Earth, you'll likely need to pay the Device cost.

In response to Tonberrian, PL 10, at 135, is limiting for broad characters. I'd have an issue squeezing Iron Man into that format, but a straight forward, focused character like Cyclops, or the Hulk. Easy.

However I'd much prefer PL 10, at 150, for all characters. That's just me though.
    The Hulk IS broad, with all his superstrength powers. There's a reason every build of him is over pointed for PL. In general, 15 PP/PL is rather stringent actually, particularly for lower PL characters. You need roughly 7 points per PL to hit your combat caps, and that doesn't even take into account utility powers, skills, and advantages which generally take up another 50-70 points flat. 135/PL 10 will either gimp you so you're really one trick or you're only going to have one or two things at PL 10.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

Rick Venture avatar by kpenguin, his GM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

What scale of adventures are you seeking ?

I like the smaller scale city vigilantes type of setting, where everyone knows enough about what they're doing but they really only deal with city-level threats. Wouldn't mind dialing back the experience level somewhat, though.

What tone would you like ?

Serious but not gritty. Think something like the middle-ground darkness of the 2003 Teen Titans show.

Is there anything that you really DO NOT like in a story ?

I'm up for most things, honestly. Long as we aren't fighting, like, literal gods or overly bleak appcalypse scenarios.

Anyway the first character I always try to run is a Psychic/Vampiric Private Investigator who tends to end up just a little bit in over his head.
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2019-09-13 at 06:13 PM.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

7. - Top - End - #67

@Tonberrian, I entirely disagree, that's what power stunts are for. I could easily build a PL 10, 135 point Hulk, that a player at a table could play and FEEL like the Hulk, while also checking all the boxes for the character, it might be more MCU version than comic continuity, but you'll feel like a powerhouse brute playing it.

To each their own though, different design philosophies and all.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

I am interested in this game! I was just making two PL7 versions of characters I had already worked on. Low-PL scenarios are easiest for me to wrap my head around, but that's probably the same for everyone.

Julie the Balloon has a lot of math going on. I built her for a My Hero academia game, but I don't know anything about MHA so she's gradually turning into a Venture Brothers character. Both of these series are known for having a lot of legacy heroes and for wielding a medium level of power over weirdly low stakes.

Midge Kirby is a scientist-mutant more in the Marvel Comics tradition, despite being inspired by a design from One-punch Man. She's invested in the ways the presence of superpowers is relevant to non-crimefighters. I had to use some cheese to fit in her one attack, but it does the heavy lifting in showing us her psionics research.
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2019-09-13 at 07:27 PM.
    Leo, Ajax, Deshy, Cutty.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

Wow, this thread really took off while I was at work. Anyway, here's the first draft of my build, assuming it's PL 10/150. I'll add complications and power descriptions once more setting specifics are hashed out.

Spoiler: Sheet
    Show
    John Doe, aka "Saint"

Powers:
    Power Level 10
    Power Points: 150

Abilities: 46ppts
    Str: 0
    Dex: 0
    Agi: +0
    Sta: +10
    Int: +3
    Awa: +5
    Pres: +0
    Fight: +5

Defenses 15ppts
    Initiative: +12
    Toughness: +15 (Imp 15)
    Fort: +10
    Dodge: +5
    Will: +10
    Parry: +5

Skills: 3ppts
    CC Unarmed +5 (+10), Perception +1, Acrobatics +3, Athletics +2, Deception +2, Expertise (any) +3, Insight +5, Technology +3, Treatment +3, Investigation +3, Perception +5 (+6)

Advantages: 7ppts
    Attractive, Fearless, Jack of All Trades, Improved Initiative (3), Interpose

Powers: 79ppts
    Enhanced Trait 10 (Strength, Innate, Alternate 3)
    -Shockwave: Burst Area Affliction (Resisted by Dodge, Overcome by Fortitude; Dazed and Vulnerable, Stunned and Prone), Extra Condition, Limited Degree, Limited to targets on the ground
    -Thunderclap: Burst Area Affliction (Resisted by Fortitude, Overcome by Fortitude; Dazed and Vulnerable, Defenseless and Stunned), Extra Condition, Limited Degree
    -Bracing: Immunity 10 (being moved), Sustained
    Protection 5 (Innate)
    Weaken Toughness 10 (Innate, Linked to strength damage)
    Feature: Untestable DNA (Innate)

Hyper-Energy Reserve
    Damage 10 (Ranged, Hyper, Perception, Alternate 7, Innate, 35pt array)
    -Alt: Damage 10 (Ranged, Area: Line)
    -Alt: Enhanced Trait 35 (lifting Strength, 25.6 billion tons)
    -Alt: Move Object 15 (Limited/one direction, Area: Cone, Distracting)
    -Alt: Flight 17 (1 million mph)
    -Alt: Quickness 30
    -Alt: Regeneration 15 (Persistent)
    -Alt: Affliction 10 (Cold, Impaired/Immobile/Paralyzed, Ranged, Area: Cone, Alternate: Str check)

Spoiler: Power Descriptions
    Show

Strength
    John possesses formidable physical might, able to move up to 25 tons in his normal state. However, when channeling all of his power into his muscles he is capable of moving a staggering 800 million tons.

Indestructible
    John's body defies almost any attempt to harm it, surpassing the resilience of any mundane material known to humanity.

Feature
    John's DNA, due to the unique nature of his cells, cannot be tested, examined or mapped.

Hyper-Energy Array
    The majority of John's powers come from his connection to an otherdimenional energy that has a strong effect on molecules in our universe. The base power is projected as beams of energy from his eyes, and causes intense molecular excitation on impact, causing the object to become superheated in a fraction of a second. The beams are powerful enough to burn through any known material, on a level of power comparable to military artillery. By sacrificing power, he can expand this energy to pass over multiple targets, hitting them each in turn. But this energy can do far, far more. He can channel this power into a number of other abilities.

Physical Enhancement
    John can channel his power into his muscles, increasing his strength from amazingly superhuman to truly godlike. His speed can also be augmented, letting him perform some tasks thousands, even millions of times faster than a normal human. John can also create quantum duplicates of damaged cells, accelerating his healing immensely, in the rare instance he is damaged. He is capable of breaking the bonds of gravity itself, letting him fly at amazing speeds, his maximum has never been tracked but it could reach a million miles per hour.

Energy Manipulation
    Besides projecting beams from his eyes, John can also utilize his mouth, adding hyper energy to his breath. He can add his antigravity power to his breath, and project winds strong enough to send any enemy flying, he could blow an aircraft carrier into orbit, flatten a city or alter the orbit of the moon. Alternately, he could reverse the energy from his eyes and cause his breath to be intensely cold, covering things in ice, potentially approaching absolute zero.

Spoiler: Complications
    Show

I'm just here to help
    John is always willing to help people in need, however he can. He gives no thought to any danger to himself, only danger to others. If necessary, he would let himself be killed if it meant saving a single human life. Though, that wouldn't be his first choice. He is always willing to put himself in peril for the sake of others, and does his best to be on friendly terms with people so they're not nervous about how powerful he has become. He's...not always successful, but he remains optimistic.

I can't let you hurt people!
    Nothing motivates John like putting innocents in danger. Very rarely, he has been forced to severely injure, even kill, to stop someone dangerous. These deaths weigh heavily on his conscience, and he tries to avoid publicizing what he's been forced to do. And every time he has to do it again, it gets a little easier, and that terrifies him.

I define me, and nothing else
    John refuses to be controlled by any outside force, and discovering an attempt to manipulate him is an easy way to test his temper severely. He follows his own morality, and does not have much patience for radically unconventional ideas for what's right and wrong. If they think something should be done a certain way, they're welcome to do it themselves.

Blood on my hands
    John's background is filled with death. He wouldn't be where, or who, he is if not for causing an accident that led to the deaths of dozens of people. He tries to make up for that terrible mistake, and lives in fear of people discovering his past.

Spoiler: Background
    Show
    John was born Larry Kipinski, a small time hood barely scraping by. As he got older he moved from hustling, which he was terrible at, to working as a driver for other crews, which he was less terrible at. He was locked up a few times, but always got out of hard time by saying he wasn't a driver, he'd been carjacked and forced to work for criminals. He had a crappy apartment, ate mostly takeout, and couldn't hold down a relationship for more than maybe a few months. All in all, a small man doomed for a small, meaningless life. That is, until fate came calling, in the form of a job offer. All he had to do was keep the car running, and get the crew away safely, and he'd have fifty g's in his pocket.

The job was a heist at a high energy lab, the kind usually operated by the government or some big company, but this was a small operation run by some grad students.
    They thought they had something big, and there were some powerful people ready to pay to get it before those kids could cash in. But, an hour into the job, Larry got a call. The crew needed help, things were more complicated than they thought, they needed Larry to cut the power to the whole building. Whatever, not like that was hard, but had he known what would happen, he'd have driven away as fast as he could.

The experiment in the lab wasn't just some new reactor or turbine, it was a dimensional tear that siphoned off power from another dimension, a self-sustaining, infinite energy source. That night, the grad students were giving a demonstration for some DOE guys and a few generals, if they were successful they'd be billionaires overnight.
    But that means when Larry killed the power, the machines that contained the tear died, and the portal exploded. The energy reacted with the matter around it, and everything for three blocks was fissioned apart, then fused back together, all in a microsecond. Hundreds died, the lab building was an unrecognizable lump, and John was the only survivor.

When Larry pulled himself out of the rubble, not initially knowing what happened, he was...changed. His skin was blue, and he felt larger, broader, like a different person.
    First responders found him in a daze, unable to answer who he was, what had happened, and if he'd caused it. The [super hero team] was called in, but when they had no insights to offer for his identity, he was arrested as a precaution. After 24 hours in custody, his head had time to clear and he decided what to do. He told the authorities he had no memory from before the blast, he didn't know who he was or where he came from, only that he was sad that he seemed linked to whatever happened to cause the disaster.

With no way to charge him with a crime, he was released with the name John Doe. His DNA proved impossible to test, map, or even identify as DNA, which in a way was an identifier in and of itself, he could not be linked to who he was, but he'd sure be easy to identify now. Various tests by [super scientist] revealed why. Every cell in John's body had been changed, each now containing a micro-portal to the dimension the lab had intended for use as a power source. This energy's reactions with matter in our reality gave John superhuman power, and he decided he had to use this to make up for what he'd done.
    Last edited by Rhyvurg; 2019-09-15 at 11:15 PM.
    "Can you do science to it?"
    "I can do science to anything."

10. - Top - End - #70
    Barbarian in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Johel View Post
    For the Power Level (PL), there has been some reaction since yesterday evening / today morning.

I like what NineOfSpades and Zero Prime have proposed, which is more PP and lower PL.
    Many players want a slow start.
    But I understand that some players want to play something stronger from the start.

A compromise :

You can choose one of the three options for your character :
    • PL 8 with a bonus of 40 PP
    • PL 9 with bonus of 20 PP
    • PL 10 with bonus of 0 PP
    After reading over some of the listed suggestions I would prefer that we had one single starting spec.
    If somebody wants to have lower power character with extra versatility all they have to do is not optimize something, that frees up PP rather quickly.
    With this we do not have the issue of mismatched defenses that would make it so that a less powerful but versatile character is also restricted to being squishy.

-----

Thanks for the quick review.
    Fluff is a good start pour Joule.

We'll have to flesh out what was the catastrophe.
    No need to know exactly WHY it happened but the official public version is necessary.

Since the game will be located in a alternate history USA, we could say Kimi was doing an international internship.
    This synergies well with the complication you took.

Does Kimi keep her power secret? If yes, what's her current occupation?
    How does she make a living? Where does she live?
    For the catastrophe I like a natural disaster such as an earthquake or if the setting permits it could have been from collateral damage from a fight between other supers.

I would like to hold off on finalizing the fluff until I know a little more about the setting. Unless my fluff is going to drastically influence the setting, then I will get going on it as soon as I can.

Crunch :

I didn't check the maths yet.
    From description and listed effects, the various powers don't seem too broken.
    Two remarks only so far :

Environment Energy Control will maybe cause problem because I don't see which advanced effects you took.
    But if used with moderation and in the spirit of the description you gave, no problem.
    Selective changes slightly when it is applied to Environment Control. In the book at the end of the environmental control section is says:
    Selective: With this extra you can vary the environment within your affected area, affecting some while not affecting others, or even mixing and matching different environments (making part of the area cold and another hot, for example).
    I did not choose an effect because per my interpretation of the book you can choose any Environment Control effect if you have selective.

Energy Immunity : Can I see the maths you used ?
    Because the standard Energy Immunity is 20 ranks at 1PP/rank.
    With the variable descriptor, i guess you went for a 10 rank immunity like "cold" and will be changing the descriptor for "heat".
    I'm not sure I'm comfortable but I'm open to your explanation.
    Energy Immunity is 10 ranks of Immunity and 2 ranks in Variable Descriptor. A longer and more thorough description of the mechanics of the power would be something like this.

Immunity to only one of the following forms of energy at any given time:
    - Cold
    - Heat
    - Electricity
    - Radiation
    - Light
    - Gravity
    - Sonic
    - Magnetic

She cannot be immune to fire with this power as that is a chemical reaction, she can only be immune to the heat produced by the fire.

I hope this help clarify things.
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

11. - Top - End - #71
    Pixie in the Playground

Given the number of potential players and the divide between those who want a higher PL and those who are comfortable with a lower one, would two groups be an option? Say, a PL7 or PL8 group and a PL10 one? That's a lot of extra work for you though DM, but that might be a decent way to appease everyone if your schedule can handle the workload.

Vanguard
    Radioactive Paragon, PL 8
    Strength 10, Stamina 10, Agility 0, Dexterity 0, Fighting 0, Intellect 0, Awareness 1, Presence 0

Advantages
    Fearless, Interpose, Power Attack, Ultimate Effort (toughness checks)

Skills
    Expertise: Farming 5 (+5), Expertise: Football 5 (+5), Perception 4 (+5), Ranged Combat: Fission Blast 6 (+8)

Powers
    Dreadnought 7 (17)
    Immunity (alien, biological, radiation)
    . . Traits: Cold, Disease, Heat, High Pressure, Poison, Radiation, Vacuum
    . . Extras: Linked Impervious (toughness) 10

Juggernaut - (9)
    Strength Damage Extras (alien, biological, radiation)
    . . Advantages: Close Attack 6
    . . Extras: Alternate Effect 3
    . . . . AE: Fission Blast 8
    . . . . Damage (heat, radiation)
    . . . . . . Advantages: Accurate
    . . . . . . Extras: Ranged
    . . . . . . Flaws: Quirk (eye beams only)
    . . . . AE: Gamma Burst 8
    . . . . Affliction (heat, light, radiation)
    . . . . . . Traits: Resisted by Fortitude; Vulnerable > Defenseless > Visually Unaware
    . . . . . . Extras: Burst Area, Cumulative
    . . . . . . Flaws: Sight-Dependent
    . . . . AE: Titanic Strength 16
    . . . . Enhanced Strength (alien, biological, radiation)
    . . . . . . Flaws: Limited to Lifting

Nowhere to Hide 7 (6)
    Senses (alien, biological, radiation {vision only})
    . . Extras: Hearing (extended), Vision (extended, infravision, penetrates concealment 4)
    . . Flaws: Noticeable Vision Extras (eyes glow brilliant red)

Nowhere to Run 7 (15)
    Quickness (alien, biological, radiation)
    . . Extras: Alternate Effect, Linked Speed
    . . . . AE: Nuclear Thrust 7
    . . . . Flight (radiation)

Offense
    Initiative +0
    . . Fission Blast +8 (ranged damage 8)
    . . Gamma Burst - (close burst area affliction 8)
    . . Grab +6 (close strength 10)
    . . Juggernaut/Unarmed +6 (close damage 10)

Complications
    . . Private to GM

Languages
    English (native)

Defense
    Dodge 6 (+6), Parry 6 (+6), Fortitude 0 (+10), Toughness - (+10), Will 5 (+6)

Power Points
    Abilities 42 + Powers 47 + Advantages 4 + Skills 10 (20 ranks) + Defenses 17 = 120
    Last edited by Choukyuudan; 2019-09-14 at 06:32 PM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

City Vigilantes ? World Heroes ? Universe Saviors ?
    Bunch of beginners stumbling together by accident ?
    Team of heroes-in-training learning the steps ?
    League of well-established super heroes ?

I’d like an urban game that is limited to the bounds of a mid-sized to large city. Even nationwide games are starting to get too convoluted, and worldwide and universal games are just silly. Also, we should be beginners who only just recently met each other. Perhaps we could meet each other by all showing up to the same crime scene.

Golden Age ? Silver Age ? Bronze Age ? Iron Age ? Modern Age ?
    Do you prefer light-hearted stories ? Or something more involved ?
    Do you want the powers and responsibilities that go with them ? Or just being overly-well equipped for a specific job ?
    Absolute black-and-white morality ? Or something more realistic ? Or even cynical ?

I like cynical, gritty, noir type games. The dark age is my favorite era, but bronze age is a close second. I like games where there is far more than just a “good and evil” divide, where there are dozens of factions each with their own idea of what is “good” who fight with the other factions. I like using the MTG color wheel as an intuition pump for different factions, basing faction ideals on either a single color, or a combination of two or three colors, or a rejection of a single color, or a rejection of a combination of two or three colors. That gives a lot of options. I try to avoid silly and goofy in my games, and even like to have some tear-jerker moments. At any rate, due to the downcast, dark, and edgy nature of the games I like to play, gray and grey or potentially black and gray morality is in play. Ideally, no faction should be too good or too evil.

Ex :
    I really hate time travel to the past, as it opens too much problems of logic.
    Dimensional travels create morality issues if you think too much about it.

Is there something like that for you ?

You nailed the two main things. I’d add precognition to the list unless it has the “uncontrolled” flaw or else is under GM control.
    M&M 3e Character Thread
    Show

13. - Top - End - #73
    Troll in the Playground

I thought about it, and here's my 2 cents on the power level/points thing. Offer it as a trade off.

PL 10/150 is the base, but you can trade a PL for power points, and vice versa.
    PL 11/135
    PL 9/165
    PL 12/120
    PL 8/180
    And so on. That way it's possible to play lower power/higher skill characters, high power specialists, or something in between. There would need to be some oversight, but I think it would work.
    "Can you do science to it?"
    "I can do science to anything."

14. - Top - End - #74
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

for the affect others modifier, lets say I use it on regeneration with sustain duration. If i touch someone and give them regeneration, do they maintain that ability if they move away from me or do I need to keep holding onto them to maintain the effect?

15. - Top - End - #75

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelWizard View Post
    for the affect others modifier, lets say I use it on regeneration with sustain duration. If i touch someone and give them regeneration, do they maintain that ability if they move away from me or do I need to keep holding onto them to maintain the effect?
    If you work fades into it then it should keep going for a while without contact. Otherwise I would say that you would need ranged, you could add the quirk "touch required to initiate."
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

16. - Top - End - #76
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Fade is described as costing 1 rank per use, or 1 rank per round for duration powers which needs to be recharged at 0 ranks which, according to the pdf I have, takes ~1 hour and outside of combat. that is a bit more restrictive than I had in mind.

17. - Top - End - #77

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelWizard View Post
    Fade is described as costing 1 rank per use, or 1 rank per round for duration powers which needs to be recharged at 0 ranks which, according to the pdf I have, takes ~1 hour and outside of combat. that is a bit more restrictive than I had in mind.
    Base the mechanics of the regeneration off of the wording of fades in Energy Absorption.
    Last edited by Izzarra; 2019-09-14 at 12:53 AM.

18. - Top - End - #78

Quote Originally Posted by Izzarra View Post
    I
    Immunity to only one of the following forms of energy at any given time:
    - Cold
    - Heat
    - Electricity
    - Radiation
    - Light
    - Gravity
    - Sonic
    - Magnetic

She cannot be immune to fire with this power as that is a chemical reaction, she can only be immune to the heat produced by the fire.
    Honestly, that is the improper use of Variable Desciptor it *can't* change a power only it's effect. A simpler way to do it, and *actually* RAW legal way, is Immunity to all Energy Damage 20 pts; Limited (-1) One energy type at a time chosen at start of turn. Note, this is damage only, not effects as that would be too powerful.

And a comment for Rhyvurg, and please don't take this as an attack on your character concept, but the build? I detest it. It is an example of why at my table I promote niche protection, 1st off it is a cosmic character not a beginning hero, you can lift a billion tons, you have a +5/-5 Toughness Shift, AND you get 32 recovery checks per TURN! You can go a Million MPH, or have QUickness 30?!? A Blast and a mechanically sickening Weaken linked to Strength. SO you have covered, Powerhouse, Paragon, Energy Blaster, Speedster with one build, and are upping the ante for those archetypes, if they want to be good at their roles.

Please remember this is based on the mechanics of the character only, but restraint is *key* in games like M&M, just because you CAN do a thing, doesn't mean you SHOULD do a thing. You don't need to be able to do everything, because you outshine those who want to be good at ONE thing.

An example of you CAN, but you SHOULDN'T, was even done by the developers; there is a published Power Profile Power that put's reaction on a teleport, making you impossible to hit in melee (targeted for an attack, teleport out of range as a reaction), or range (targeted by a ranged attack, teleport behind full cover).

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ettin in the Playground

Immunity to Deception would only cost a single point, right?

And would that retroactively immediately let. Me know that someone is lying?

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Okay, its still a bit messy and needs some finishing touches, but here is the general gist of my character, PL 7

Lillian Wroth

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Kind of interested, but waiting for anything mechanically and setting-wise to solidify to see what I can actually do. PL 7 vs PL 10 at standard budgets is very different from one another, as is low PL with more PP as well as high PL with fewer PP. I would strongly lean towards everyone having the same power level, as otherwise the 50/50 M&M is based around kind of breaks apart. More PP than normal for a PL is nice, as it makes the budget less tight, especially if you would like to have things like skill ranks. Whatever it ends up being mechanically or setting-wise, though, I think some sort of decision needs to be made sooner rather than later, as everyone seems to start building stuff based on their own assumptions rather than anything unifying. PL7, PL8, PL10, sometimes with more points, sometimes with less points, street level, Avengers/Justice League, cosmic etc.

Base general concept for my character (subject to change, depending on what ends up being decided for the game) is something I have tried to play a few times in various forms, but the games kept dying quickly. A guy who is more or less mundane, but started to manifest things he should not be able to do through extended struggle against overwhelming odds. Hits harder than he should be, survives what should kill a normal human, closes distances much more quickly, bandaging something actually heals the wound, shouting encouragement in a crisis situation lets others overcome their injuries, a frustrated kick actually lets broken machines function again etc. It's kind of a case of absolutely absurdly good luck (and perhaps even a very literal plot armor descriptor), paired with absolutely rotten luck, as he keeps getting drawn into trouble and his abilities can just not work at times, even against minions that normally don't give various heroes trouble, only to have everything go his way when push comes to shove against the main villain. He can tussle with supervillains, but he's still pretty wary around people whipping out knives. Goal is to have a relatively unglamorous accidental hero in over his head among very literally superpowered people who can make buildings float with their minds and tank artillery shells, but trying to make the most out of it while trying to keep it together.
    Last edited by Ridai; 2019-09-14 at 07:19 AM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by John Cribati View Post
    Immunity to Deception would only cost a single point, right?

And would that retroactively immediately let. Me know that someone is lying?
    Immunity is supposed to be used against damage and attack powers, not skill checks. Reading the description, a 1-point immunity is
    "aging, disease, poison, one environmental condition (cold, heat, high pressure, radiation, or vacuum), one type of suffocation (breathe normally underwater or in an alien atmosphere, for example), starvation and thirst, need for sleep, or a rare power descriptor (such as your own powers, a close sibling’s powers, etc.)."
    Higher level immunities give protection from more common effects,
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyvurg View Post
    I thought about it, and here's my 2 cents on the power level/points thing. Offer it as a trade off.

PL 11/135
    PL 9/165
    PL 12/120
    PL 8/180
    And so on. That way it's possible to play lower power/higher skill characters, high power specialists, or something in between. There would need to be some oversight, but I think it would work.
    I’d rather have the PL 8/180 pp build. My idea is pretty broad.

By the way, can I remake artificer and ritualist key off of Expertise (Religion)? I’m thinking of making my secret identity a priest and that would work better thematically.
    M&M 3e Character Thread
    Show

24. - Top - End - #84
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyvurg View Post

PL 11/135
    PL 9/165
    PL 12/120
    PL 8/180

I vote for this option!
    High Reverend of the Church of the Icosahedron

25. - Top - End - #85
    Orc in the Playground

Is it too late to express interest and/or submit a character? I have several characters in mind and can probably play on any power level.

26. - Top - End - #86

Quote Originally Posted by Zhentarim View Post
    I’d rather have the PL 8/180 pp build. My idea is pretty broad.

By the way, can I remake artificer and ritualist key off of Expertise (Religion)? I’m thinking of making my secret identity a priest and that would work better thematically.
    Quote Originally Posted by NineOfSpades View Post
    I vote for this option!
    I'm also a fan of this method of we do different PL and PP.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dreamking View Post
    Is it too late to express interest and/or submit a character? I have several characters in mind and can probably play on any power level.
    Based on this comment

I'll check this thread once a day and answer everyday if needed until Sunday 15/09/2019, 23h59 GMT+0.
    And then, I'll try to patch a background story for an adventure and 16 Questions for Sunday 22/09/2019, 23h59 GMT+0.

I think you are still good. The game doesn't even have an official setting or PL yet, though some folks are Eager McBeavers and coming up with early concepts to tinker with.

For myself I don't have anything particular in mind as of yet, still looking for a cool concept to run with.
    High Reverend of the Church of the Icosahedron

28. - Top - End - #88
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by gac3 View Post
    I'm also a fan of this method of we do different PL and PP.
    I also vote for this option. Where’s the GM when you need him?
    Current games:
    The Sunless Citadel
    Blade of the Four Fallen
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodbyeSoberDay
    I think this teaches us a valuable lesson. At bizarrely low levels of optimization, the tier system disappears. In its place is the "we can't even beat CR=ECL-5 foes" system.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vrock Bait View Post
    I also vote for this option. Where’s the GM when you need him?
    He will be in this afternoon.
    M&M 3e Character Thread
    Show

30. - Top - End - #90
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Street to city level. I don't mind if we are new heroes or an established team.

Something mostly serious, but not overly dark. Occasional moments of humour are fine, as long as it isn't a comedic game overall.

No time travel, because of the logical issues.
    I don't mind dimensional travel as a background element, but it shouldn't be something the players have easy access to unless the game is built around it.
    PCs should all be able to contribute in some distinct way. Its fine to outshine other characters in your niche area, but everyone should feel useful.

Concept
    Either a martial artist with combat precog, or a pseudo-energy controller, who can project lasers/concussive blasts from existing light sources.
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Gifts View Post
    Well, I go by Annatar on one or two other places.
    You're going to have one hell of a time proposing.