The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: M&M3e?

1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: M&M3e?

Reserved for update of the 14/09/2019

A lot of reactions.

It is good and constructive that you all clear things out among yourself.

What Power Level for the game :

Thank you to NineOfSpades, Zero Prime, tonberrian and Rhyvurg for their insights.
    I also saw that Izzarra & Ridai would prefer a single PL for all... which make sense.
    Choukyuudan offered the idea of two groups. This is an option too.
    Rhyvurg' system is good but I would rather avoid going from the start with characters higher than PL 10.

Ridai put it best though :
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridai
    I think some sort of decision needs to be made sooner rather than later, as everyone seems to start building stuff based on their own assumptions rather than anything unifying.
    Final decision :
    You can start at :
    • PL 8 with 170 PP ((8 x 15) + (2 x 25))
    • PL 9 with 160 PP ((9 x 15) + (1 x 25))
    • PL 10 with 150 PP ((10 x 15) + (0 x 25))

25 PP for -1 PL is not a perfect trade-off but :
    It doesn't penalize the people who want to play at PL 10 (which makes still perfectly functionnal half-gods at 150 PP)
    It let the people who want to play at PL 8 not be completely dominated.

Fluff questions :

Quote Originally Posted by bc56
    inhumanly skilled alien surgeon, stranded on Earth
    I like that. Waiting for the background and shee

Quote Originally Posted by zzzzzzzz414
    I think I'll be going with the material-shifting brick hero
    Good concept. Waiting for the background and sheet.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhentarim
    Is traveling into people’s individual “mind dimension” against your prohibition on dimensional travel?
    No problem

That's more well-illustrated brain washing than actual travel so ok.
    The fact that you can take people along with you to "read" the target's thougths but that you leave the body behind is good.
    Curious about how you'll manage to do that in a positive, heroic way, though.

The "I'm made up of Psionic Energy" can be tricky and open a pseudo-science debate.
    Crunch-wize, it makes you immune to everything except other psionic attacks, which there will not be many unless I stack the odds against you.
    But taking Incorporeal 4 will make a lot of things very costly for you (5PP + the need to use "Affect Corporeal" on all your powers)
    So I'm waiting to see the sheet and we can discuss it then.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhentarim
    By the way, can I remake artificer and ritualist key off of Expertise (Religion)? I’m thinking of making my secret identity a priest and that would work better thematically.
    No concept is set in stone. You are free to change.

Given that Expertise (Religion) would be VERY situationnal, you pumping the rank of that skill instead of Expertise (Magic) to use it for ritualist and artificer isn't an issue for me.
    Please avoid real-world religion as the source of your power, though : this forum has rules about it

Quote Originally Posted by dreamking
    Is it too late to express interest and/or submit a character? I have several characters in mind and can probably play on any power level.
    Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Gifts
    Either a martial artist with combat precog, or a pseudo-energy controller, who can project lasers/concussive blasts from existing light sources.
    As long as the precognition is limited to fighting and translate only in defensive/offensive bonus, no problem.
    No using it to divine the future outside in more complexe ways.

Otherwise perfectly fine. Go crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Gunsforhands
    Julie the Balloon has a lot of math going on. I built her for a My Hero academia game, but I don't know anything about MHA so she's gradually turning into a Venture Brothers character. Both of these series are known for having a lot of legacy heroes and for wielding a medium level of power over weirdly low stakes.

Midge Kirby is a scientist-mutant more in the Marvel Comics tradition, despite being inspired by a design from One-punch Man. She's invested in the ways the presence of superpowers is relevant to non-crimefighters. I had to use some cheese to fit in her one attack, but it does the heavy lifting in showing us her psionics research.
    I like the second one better but you are free to choose.
    Again, not checking the maths yet, just looking through the sheets for potential problems or misunderstandings.

"Broad Expertise" ? Could you explain please ?

Also, you might like this read, given the character.

Crunch questions :

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelWizard
    With the Enhanced Trait effect. I was looking at having some spells that grant powers/effects by converting points in one trait to another. For example, giving a rank 2 flight by converting 2-4 dodge (flight is 2 points per rank, dodge is 1 point). But now as I read the effect again it states existing trait. So would the character, or target, need the flight power to begin with for the effect to work?
    The reason I ask, is that trying to fit the powers to the theme I'm running with (cursed magic) it is either use Enhanced Trait or Flight, in this case, Linked with a Weaken Effect which, due to the way the mechanics work, would be even more expensive than the regular flight power.
    And before you guys rush to tell me that flight can have the Distracting Flaw, I'm talking about the Enhanced Trait effect in general and Flight is just the example I'm using.
    Enhanced Trait is basically a way for you to have an increase in ranks in abilities, defenses, skills and ranked advantages.
    It can be switch on and off, it can be temporary, it can be a lot of things that just putting the points in your traits directly would not do right compare to your hero's concept.
    It is useful for the Extra Effort and other such things.
    It cannot however suddently give you more rank in a Power Effect.

If you want to give someone a power with negative side effect, I can suggest :
    A Defense, Movement or General Power Effect with range "Personnel" with the extra "Affect (Only) Others"+ the flaw "Always Side Effect".
    Flight + Affect (Only) Others + Increased Range (Close) + (Always) Side Effect [Lose rank in Dodge]
    2+0+1-2 = +1 PP per 1 rank

The target gets an effect of [RANK], up to the Power Level limits (so 20 for Flight).
    He also get a malus of [RANK] in Dexterity up to how much bonus he got in Dodge.
    This is a sustained effect that you can dispel whenever you want with a free action.

OR

Flight + Affect (Only) Others + Increased Duration (Continous) + Permanent + (Always) Side Effect [Lose rank in Dodge]
    2+0+1-1-2 = +1 PP per 2 rank

The target gets an effect of [RANK], up to the Power Level limits (so 20 for Flight).
    He also get a malus of [RANK] in Dexterity up to how much bonus he got in Dodge.
    This is a permanent effect that you cannot dispel.

If you want to increase someone's existing defenses with a negative side effect, I can suggest :
    Enhanced Trait (Dodge) + Affect (Only) Others + Increased Range (Ranged) + (Always) Side Effect [Target lose rank in Dexterity]
    1+0+2-2 = +1 PP per 1 rank

The target gets a bonus of [RANK] in Dodge, up to the Power Level limits (so if PL 10, that's 20 - Toughness - existing Dodge).
    This is a sustained effect that you can dispel whenever you want with a free action.

An other option would be the "Fade" flaw, as suggested by Izzarra.
    Enhanced Trait (Dodge) + Affect (Only) Others + Increased Range (Ranged) + (Always) Side Effect + Fade
    1+0+2-2-1 = +1 PP per 2 ranks

The target gets a bonus of [RANK] in Dodge, up to the Power Level limits (so if PL 10, that's 20 - Toughness - existing Dodge).
    This is a sustained effect that you can dispel whenever you want with a free action but it reduced itself by 1 rank every round.
    You can use a standard action to buff the target again whenever you want.

For the affect others modifier, lets say I use it on regeneration with sustain duration.
    If i touch someone and give them regeneration, do they maintain that ability if they move away from me or do I need to keep holding onto them to maintain the effect?
    • If the range is "personnal" and the duration is other than "permanent" with an "Affect Other" effect, I think for balance reason that yes, you have to stay in contact for the power to work.
    • If the range is "close", "ranged" or "perception" and the duration is other than "permanent" with an "Affect Other" effect, I think you don't have to stay in contact for the power to work and you can dismiss it with a free action.
    • If the duration is "permanent" with an "Affect Other" effect, I think you don't have to stay in contact for the power to work but you cannot dismiss it either.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Prime
    Vrock, as an FYI, equipment has to be commonly available. A chameleon cloak, damage 8 blaster, a sonic knife are devices, not equipment. Devices are alot more expensive ... but those are what you use to simulate comic science weapons and gear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vrock Bait
    Actually, they’re all priced out in the Gadget Guide. I spent the exact RAW equipment cost for each one.
    The Guides are to help you, but its horribly unfair to characters to use Equipment costs for devices. Remember you don't get hero points when they get broken, or taken away. And they are *way* more fragile than an equivalent device.
    I'd check with the GM if they're ok with laser rifles that hit harder than rocket launchers and invisibility cloaks being available to the common man.
    Vrock Bait, I read the character sheet of Adamant.
    I'll elaborate in another post for all details but I would like to quickly adress the difference between EQUIPMENT and DEVICE.
    EQUIPMENT in M&M is something mundane that you use to help you (and that you purchase at a rate of 1 PP for 5 equipment points because that material is both cheap and available).
    DEVICE in M&M is basically saying that a bunch of power effects (that you still have to purchase as power effects) are packed (linked effects ? alternate effects ?) into an item.

Even if your character has traveled through the whole galaxy and seen amazing things, the fact is that those amazing things aren't readily available on Earth.
    So fluff-wize, she cannot easily replace, maintain or just even supply her amazing weapons because there isn't a local branch of "Alpha Centauri's Best Buy" on Earth.
    Crunch-wize, it's a question of balance : if a player says her character comes from a planet where nanotechnology is common, I won't allow her to have a nanofabricator for 1/5th of the PP price...
    Because that would basically either gimp the rest of the players OR bump the game balance in a whole different direction.
    M&M isn't D&D : the rules are really more like guidelines, with DM and players trying to find what's fair and fun for all.

Quote Originally Posted by gac3
    I've never made a telepath before.
    Is mind reading a power you would want near max?
    All the prebuilt versions of them are at half power level so I was curious.
    To use mind reading, you have to make an opposed check against the target's Will check.
    For each 5 pts above the Difficulty Check, you can reach further into the mind.

The higher your rank in Mind Reading, the easier it is to get a high degree of success.
    And therefor to go deep into the mind.
    It also limit the chance to fail catastrophically.

Quote Originally Posted by John Cribati
    Immunity to Deception would only cost a single point, right?

And would that retroactively immediately let. Me know that someone is lying?
    Oh no no no !!

Insight is usually what allow you to see through Deception.
    Allowing you to get immunity to Deception for 1 PP makes the whole skill of Insight a bit... well empty.

The fact is that the difference between the full truth, the technical truth, a lie, an error, an omission or just being that good at talking is very subjective.

If you want a lie detector based on the other person's body language, look the "Sense" power :
    I would accept for a Sense (Detect Lie, Acute, Analytical, Insight Check Required DC15) (1 PP flat) as giving you a binary answer "Lie" or "Truth" to a given statement, based on what the person saying it believe it to be.

If you want to just be aware when someone is trying to deceive you, that's just Insight.

Character Sheets :

List of character sheets so far :

Joule
    Carapace
    Adamant
    V'Rak "Sawbones"
    Balloon & Mosquito
    John Doe
    Vanguard
    Lillian Wroth
    Last edited by Johel; 2019-09-14 at 05:08 PM.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Johel View Post
    Reserved for update of the 14/09/2019
    I can hardly wait.
    DnD Alignment: Neutral Evil
    M&M 3e Character Thread
    Spoiler: Dare you stare into Abaddon?
    Show

3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground

Tinkering with character ideas, now that we have an actual budget to build off of (thanks for that, btw!)

I've kind of settled into the idea that I want to play a police officer of one flavor or another. Gotta Serve And Protect! And I've got a few sub-ideas under that heading I'd like to run by you.

Time-Cop: "Enforcing The Past, To Protect Our Future" They come from the distant future where time travel is commonplace, and works to protect the continuity of history against meddling. They have been dispatched to the 21st century, which they protect as their jurisdiction against events that would meddle in the greater continuum. How much time traveling they'd be capable of doing would be up to how much time travel you want to allow.

Super-Cop: "Meet the Cop, Who Can't Be Stopped". Ironically named, this is one crime fighter with no actual superhuman abilities. They are simply the worlds greatest police officer, fighting crime with tactical genius, close quarters combat, and the determination to see justice served.

Robo-Cop: "Part Man, Part Machine, All Cop" I could pretend to be subtle about this, but why lie? In the mold of Major Motoko Kusanagi , or Officer Alex Murphy, this cyborg police officer is created when a bright star on the force is tragically injured in the line of duty, and rebuilt from the ground up into the first of a next generation police force.

Alien-Cop: "Human Criminal, Place Your Primary Grasping Limbs Into An Elevated Position" An alien who arrived on earth and elected to join the local police as a means of blending in with the human population.

Other-Cop: "Cool Quote Pending" A normal police officer who gained superhuman abilities while attempting to stop a criminal genius from using super-science to similarly empower themselves.

You have the right to reply to these concepts. Anything you say can and will be used as constructive criticism. You have the right to talk to me about other super-cop ideas. You have the right to think this is an awesome character concept. If you do not think this is an awesome character concept, your sense of amazement will be appointed to you by the state. If you decide to respond without agreeing this is awesome, you have the right to stop and correct yourself at any time. Do you understand these rights as I have described them?
    High Reverend of the Church of the Icosahedron

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

@Joule :

Concept : Japanese scientist intern got blasted by an experiment gone wrong. Got power to affect physical energies around her.
    Thermodynamics but also Gravity. Is a living battery with a degree in science.

Base Stats
    Maths : OK

Concept :Very human so nothing overpowered or problematic here.
    She got fighting capacities well above average. Martial Arts ? Naturally gifted or trained hard ?
    From her youth ? From her hero career ? Not a problem but good to know.
    Awareness, Stamina and Agility can be linked to her new biology so ok.
    Intellect fits with the scientist background.

Offense

Defense
    Concept : Dodge and Parry are low but that's ok.

Powers
    Maths : To be adjusted
    I got 95 PP, you got 87 PP
    Immunity (Energy) for 20 PP means the Defensive Array went from 13 to 21

You have two linked Move Object effects, one at Rank 10 (25 tons) and the other at Rank 6 (3200 lbs, lifting only).
    There's probably an incoherence there.

• Movement Array : +1+20 = +21 PP
      • Telekinetic Flight +20 PP
      • Telekinetic Anchor +20 PP
    • Energy Array : +5+37PP
      • Telekinesis
        Move Object +29PP
        Powerlifting +6PP
        Enhanced Advantages +1PP
      • Thermokinesis (Minor) +37PP
      • Thermokinesis (Major) +37PP
      • Chain Lightning/Laser Blast +37PP
      • Environment Energy Control +36 PP
        I got your explanation. Ok for me but with moderation.
      • Energy Form +37PP
    • Defence Array +1+20PP
      • Energy Siphoning Field +12PP
        This is actually three Effects :
        Linked Enhanced Dodge (2), Linked Enhanced Parry (2) and Linked Protection (8), correct ?
      • Energy Immunity
        I'm really sorry but this is too broad.
        Mecanically, you *could* take one different effect for each type of energy and make it an "Alternate Effect" but the cost of the Array would rise.
        I have only a high school - level (if that) in science and so I don't know how many different energy sources there is.
        But I'm sure such a list of Alternate Effect would make the Array's cost go up by at least 10 PP.
        Given that this Array will see its cost rise anyway with Energy Form coming, you could just take Immunity (Energy) for 20 PP and still be within the concept.
    • Energy Senses +11P

Equipment

Advantages

Skills

Concept :
    Acrobatics : See Aikido ?
    Aikido : OK, ties with Fighting and Japanese.
    Science and Technology : Very Good
    Investigation and Perception : OK

Background

Very good.
    Just needs to know more about that accident.
    Where she went and what she did after.

Motivation

Unknown Power is a great idea.
    We'll make it work.

Verdict :
    Please reduce by 8 PP.
    Please provide information for the accident.
    When that's done, you are good

5. - Top - End - #95
    Bugbear in the Playground

With mental communication, assuming a willing participant (such as teammates) do you have to also take mind reading to have a two way conversation? The two have different ranges so if Mind reading is only needed to assault/dig through a mind then I am not going to worry about matching the ranges,

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

@Carapace :

Concept : Normal Kid. Wrong time. Wrong place. Got fused with an alien armor.
    Mute and slightly berzerk when in armor. Ben10 vibe but with less versatility and more brawl potential.

Abilities :
    Maths : 28 PP

That's a very strong "kid" when without armor. Sportive ?

Advantages :
    Maths : 5 PP

Skills :
    Maths : 22 ranks = 11 PP

Powers :
    Maths : I'm missing something here

Enhanced abilities : +20 PP
    Enhanced Traits : +22 PP
    Impervious Defense : +8
    Regeneration : +3 PP
    Senses: Senses 5 (Danger Sense, Mental [Accurate, Radius, Ranged]) : Your maths ?
    Activation: Move Action : -1 PP

A lot of linked effects

Defense :
    Maths : I'm missing something here

Could you tell me the number of ranks you purchased appart from your powers ?

Verdict :
    Cannot check yet.
    I need a more clear split of the Defense and Powers
    The concept is completely acceptable, though, and can easily scale.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by gac3 View Post
    With mental communication, assuming a willing participant (such as teammates) do you have to also take mind reading to have a two way conversation? The two have different ranges so if Mind reading is only needed to assault/dig through a mind then I am not going to worry about matching the ranges,
    The "Communication" power is you sending information.
    You don't receive anything back with only this.

The "Remote Sensing" power is you receiving information from far away.

8. - Top - End - #98

Updated build in Original Post, to PL9 & 160 points. I used Hero Lab, which can be less than clear at times. Will hand draft the sheet, later tomorrow afternoon to be more clear. All his powers are in a Single Alternate Form, which requires a move action to activate.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

@Adamant :

Concept : Young girl get handed power to avenge her friends. Travel the galaxy to hunt down her foes.
    Teleportation + a lot of equipment.

Abilities : 74 PP

This is a really though human.
    "Bounty Hunter" is the first thing that come to mind.

Advantages : 12 PP
    (includind equipment 5 ---> 25 pts equipment / Blaster Rifle 16 / Sonic Knife 3 )

Skills : 32 PP

Powers :

Teleport 5 : 22PP
    Movement 3 : 6 PP

ARMOR : 32PP
    • Radio Comm : 3 PP
    • Protection 6 : 6 PP
    • Impervious Toughness : 10 PP
    • Immunity LVL1 x 7 : 7 PP
    • Immunity LVL 2 x 1 : 2 PP
    • Chameleon Cloak : 12 PP
    • Removable : -8 PP

Universal Translator : 4 PP

Defense : 41 PP

That's a lot of defenses...

Verdict :
    You went overbudget.
    Or I didn't understand your math.
    Care to explain ?

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Prime View Post
    Updated build in Original Post, to PL9 & 160 points. I used Hero Lab, which can be less than clear at times. Will hand draft the sheet, later tomorrow afternoon to be more clear. All his powers are in a Single Alternate Form, which requires a move action to activate.
    Thanks

I'll see that tommorow (or is it this afternoon ?) along with 3 more sheets + answering questions.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

Here's a sheet for V'Rak, aka Sawbones. Just mechanics right now, background and complications will follow in an hour or two. I went with the PL 9 option.

Go ahead and look him over when you have time; it's worth noting that I bought a vehicle with Equipment, so if anything about that is a problem, let me know so I can change it.

Edit: complications are up on the third page of the sheet

Edit edit: also these:

Spoiler: Description
    Show
    V'Rak resembles a bipedal gecko, a bit under 2 meters in height, with thick, grey-green scales. These scales exhibit a slight color-changing property with his emotions, but not under his conscious control.

Spoiler: Background
    Show
    The Kiturinn are a technologically advanced race in an area of the galaxy not far from Earth. They were very peaceful, refusing to create devices for the sole use as weapons. Their focus was on the artistic and spiritual parts of life, following ancient mystical traditions handed down by their forbears for generations. As they began to expand beyond their home system they made the first contact with extraterrestrial life. The Otrani Sovereignty was a newly ascended interstellar power as well, but a very different one. Their technocratic warrior-kings sought conquest and dominon. The two races fought pitched battles in the space between their stars. Centuries later, the battleground was Earth. The two powers battled in orbit as Otrani troops tried to take the surface but were repelled by superheroes. One Kiturinn ship was shot down, crash landing in North Dakota. There was only one survivor. V'Rak, an experienced combat surgeon, patched his wounds from the crash and moved on; there was nothing he could do for his fellow crew. He salvaged what he could from the wreckage, but without a hyperspeed communications array, any message would take centuries to reach home. He set out for civilization.
    V'Rak's journey eventually brought him to New Delphi. Here, he found a place healing the injured, and fighting against injustice and criminality. He is glad that he can do good here, where his skills are in high demand, and slowly he is integrating partly into the human culture. His appearance may evoke stares, but they're a good kind of stare. He is a superhero, after all.

Spoiler: Personality
    Show
    V'Rak is highly eccentric by human standards. He has a deep commitment to Kiturinn Mysticism, manifest in rituals and superstitions he performs regularly. He tries to be light-hearted, but his weak grasp of English makes any attempt at humor difficult (the hero name "Sawbones" comes from one such attempt. He thinks it's funny because he's never needed to saw a bone).
    Last edited by bc56; 2019-09-15 at 12:03 AM.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

12. - Top - End - #102
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Alright, here is my character, lifted with a few changes from another campaign. It's sort of a long/complex one (I...really like backstories, and also complicated character builds), just tell me if anything needs to be changed.

Missmash

PL10, 150pp

Spoiler: Backstory
    Show
    "Guess that wasn't a pulled muscle after all. Samantha Smith thought before she blacked out from the excruciating pain.

She had felt the ache in her leg getting worse ever since that one semifinals match, of course. She really ought to have brought it up with her coach, seen her doctor, gotten it checked out. But this was the final stretch of the tournament, her big chance to finally break into professional MMA, she couldn't afford to waste time at a doctor's office (or maybe even ending up having to drop out) when there was more training and preparation to do. She'd just work through the pain; she'd always been good at that. It was how she'd excelled in sports as a kid, it was how she'd gotten her athletics scholarship in college, and it was how she'd gotten here; she could always manage to push through the pain and exhaustion.

Until, suddenly, in the middle of the final match of the tournament, she couldn't.

The doctor's prognosis was fairly grim: she'd torn a leg muscle several weeks ago, and had greatly worsened it by continuing to fight on it. Even after physical therapy, she'd be walking with a limp for the rest of her life at best. Certainly Sam's career in MMA was over, cut down before it had even really begun. Sam tried to approach the situation with her usual upbeat levity - hey, maybe she could coach now! Or go back for that Biology degree she'd been sort-of interested in! - but there wasn't a lot of sugarcoating the fact the dream she'd been working toward since high school was now as good as dead; certainly not to herself. But, just as she'd been starting to seriously succumb to the depression of that fact and the idea that she'd now be going back to some kind of menial labor permanently, something quite interesting happened; Sam's egghead older brother, Samuel, called her out of the blue after nearly a year of silence, with a very unusual offer: a clinical trial for a cutting edge bit of science at the company he was head researcher of, work that could potentially propel humanity into a new era; and, more immediately, could possibly restore her leg to full working order. And she'd be paid handsomely for it, of course.

Intrigued (and a little desperate), Sam accepted the position as lab rat and reported to the remote offices of Greene Pharmaceutical Ltd. bright and early. She was surprised and almost immediately suspicious to discover that this research wasn't some new miracle drug or even some sort of fancy prosthetic, but what her brother described, as they walked down the cold halls and through several advanced security measures, as a "curiosity", recovered from, of all places, the center of a glacier. It would take nearly six hours of paperwork and two weeks of background screening before she got any more than that.

What Sam witnessed over the next several weeks of trials was - well, there was no other word for it but magical; and according to Samuel, that was, to their team's best estimation, exactly what it was. The "curiosity" was a complex, crystalline-looking artifact (they'd nicknamed it "The Red Stone", after the mythical alchemical creation) that had the ability to transmute any solid substance into any other substance it was fed; Sam watched as the researchers used it to transform wood to stone, steel to glass. Sam was here, Samuel explained, to help determine how it affected human biological matter. The first experiments were small and seemingly successful; they turned one of her fingers to wood (she could even still move it!) with seemingly no ill effects. But after a week or two, something changed. The experiments suddenly began to escalate in scale and complexity, were conducted ever-more quickly and with less and less preparation, and Samuel seemed to be getting even more nervous (well, moreso than he usually was.) Sam herself began considering backing out, but it was good money; and the temptation of perhaps getting her leg completely restored was still a powerful temptation.

And then, one day, it happened. A flash of brilliant light from the artifact, sudden screams from the observation room, a massive roaring sound, and it all suddenly went white. When she woke up again, the experimentation room was in ruins, the artifact was gone, alarms were blaring, and...her arm. There was something wrong with her arm. She looked down at it, and the flesh was gone, replaced with swirling patterns of steel and concrete and tile. Panicking, she fled the room (...wait, her leg was working again?!) as security guards began to pour in, smashing through what remained of the wall between her and the outside with newfound strength and completely ignoring the bullet that bounced off her shoulder, barely chipping it.

It was several days later - several days of hiding from corporate search patrols in the woods with what she could only assume were ill intentions and gradually learning the properties of the unusual material-swapping abilities she suddenly found herself in possession of - that her brother finally made contact again, asking her to meet in an isolated location a fair distance from Greene Pharmaceutical. Once they'd met up again, Samuel confessed everything he knew: that the company (Whose actual name was the Azoth Research Institute) had pressured him to accelerate the experiments to a dangerous degree; that the artifact was of probable extraterrestrial origin and that they had likely unlocked only a fraction of its true power; that he'd convinced his bosses that Sam had been vaporized in the blast; and that Azoth was quite powerful and would stop at very little to reclaim the artifact that, as far as he could tell and from her description of her new powers, had seemingly fused with her somehow. They decided that it would be unwise to go public or reveal that Sam was still alive for now; Azoth might be willing to endanger their parents, and able to cover it up. For now, Samuel would use his money and connections (of which he had enough, as one of Azoth's top researchers) to set Sam up somewhere discreet while he tried to work on some way of separating her from the artifact and returning her to normal.

The house was small, private, and out of the way, with supplies delivered to the door on a regular basis. Sam absolutely hated it. Not only was there absolutely nothing to do, she couldn't even go outside, lest she risk exposing herself. She ended up spending most of her time exercising and experimenting with her abilities, and this was still far from satisfactory compared to actually working towards something or a decent competition. So when she happened to hear a massive crash outside and looked out the window to see a real-life superhero battle in progress between a man with a jetpack and a flying woman in a blue costume she recognized from the news as a local vigilante hero, it was little wonder that she wasted barely any time at all running outside to get a closer look. Then, the man with the jetpack slammed the woman to the ground less than twenty feet from where Sam was standing, some sort of instinct kicked in, and before she even knew what she was doing she was running up to the man and delivering a solid, stony punch to his armored jaw.

The battle was quickly over after that, and the blue-costumed woman, after thanking Sam for the help, noted her powers and strange, shifting composition and suggested that she could make a career of superheroing before zooming off again. Sam began seriously considering it; that battle was the most fun and exhilaration she'd had since she'd injured her leg. She soon started going out and participating in other fights as well, then rescues and disaster relief too. Sam settled on the name "Missmash" after she uncreatively blurted "Miss Smash" to a reporter and realized she actually liked the pun. Her brother was initially skeptical of the wiseness of it, but this, she argued, was actually safer; Azoth would have eventually found the house, but they would have more trouble targeting a publicly known superhero. Now, after two years, she honestly had trouble picturing herself doing anything else.

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    *Subject to alteration via Dynamic pp reallocation

Abilities {18pp}

STR:
    5 (+15*) STA: 0 AGI: 0 DEX: 0
    FGT: 0 INT: 0 AWE: 4 PRE: 0

Defenses {4pp}:

Dodge: 0 (+10*)
    Parry: 0 (+10*)
    Toughness: +10*
    Fortitude: 2 (+7*)
    Will: 2 (+6)

Skills
    {13pp}:

Acrobatics 0 (+5*), Close Combat (Unarmed) 0 (+5*) Expertise (Current Events, Fitness, Martial Arts, Sports, Pop Culture, Gardening) 0 (+12), Insight 6 (+10), Intimidation 12 (+12), Perception 8 (+12),

Advantages {14pp}:

All-Out Attack, Equipment 1, Fast Grab, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative 2, Interpose, Luck 2, Move-By-Action, Power Attack, Takedown 2

Powers {101pp total}:

Intuition:
    Enhanced Intellect 12 (Limited 2 [Only applies to Expertise skills]); Enhanced Advantages 1 (Jack of All Trades), Feature/Quirk (Jack of All Trades only applies to Expertise skills, but guarantees use of Int for Expertise) Quirk 2 (Int modifier only applies to one Expertise skill per 2 ranks) {5pp}

Transmutation (Array) {27pp + 3 AEs = 30pp}

-Material Girl: Transform [Broad Group to Broad Group (Solids to Other Solids)] 8 (Continuous, Reaction, Increased Action 2 [Move Action], Limited 3 [Can only "swap" the material composition of two solids she is either currently touching or has absorbed, and can only transform up to the amount of the least of the two solids.], Quirk [maximum amount of transformable material is measured in volume rather than pounds]), linked Feature 2 [can absorb the material she is Transforming, changing part of herself into it and essentially "carrying" an amount of the material equal to the amount Transformed on her person] (Quirk [When absorbing a Transformed material, must change the dynamic ranks of her Density and Lightness powers accordingly if the material is denser or lighter than her current composition]) {25/27pp}

-Living Statue: Affliction 10 (Resisted/Overcome by Fort, Dazed+Vulnerable, Stunned+Defenseless, Transformed [Statue of same Toughness as material used for affliction, all other abilities absent]) (Cumulative, Extra Condition, Reversible, Grab-Based, Quirk [Only usable while touching a solid surface]) Linked Weaken Toughness 10 (Resisted by Fort) (Reversible, Incurable, Limited [Only when touching a material weaker than the target's current Toughness]) {27/27pp}

-Petrified Gadgetry: Nullify 10 (Broad [Technology], Simultaneous, Uncontrolled, Quirk 0 [Only uncontrolled when using a conductive material], Grab-Based, Reduced Range [Close], Reversible, Quirk [Only usable while touching a solid surface]), Linked Affliction 10 (Impaired+Dazed, Disabled+Stunned, Transformed [Power ranks reduced to 0]) (Cumulative, Extra Condition, Reversible, Grab-Based, Limited (Device-based Powers only), Quirk [Only usable while touching a solid surface]) {19/27pp}

-Transformation Blast: Affliction 10 (Vulnerable, Defenseless, Paralyzed) (Burst Area, Cumulative, Reversible, Selective, Limited [Only usable if Material Girl is used immediately beforehand to Transform the floor/ground within the burst area radius, replacing it with her currently absorbed composition], Limited [Targets touching the ground only], Quirk [Only usable while touching a solid surface] {20/27pp}

Flexible Composition (Dynamic Array) (Quirk: When dynamically changing ranks, ranks of all linked powers must go up or down the same amount) {53pp + Dynamic Base effect + 1 Dynamic AE -1 Quirk = 55pp}:

-Density: Enhanced Defenses (Fortitude) 5 (Permanent, Quirk 2 [Only dynamically changeable when absorbing a material denser than her current composition using Material Girl or Transformation Blast]), linked Enhanced Abilities (Strength) 10 (Permanent, Quirk 2 [Only dynamically changeable when absorbing a material denser than her current composition using Material Girl or Transformation Blast]), linked Protection 10 (Quirk 2 [Only dynamically changeable when absorbing a material denser than her current composition using Material Girl or Transformation Blast]) {29/53pp}

-Lightness: Enhanced Defenses (Dodge, Parry) 10 (Permanent, Quirk 2 [Only dynamically changeable when absorbing a material lighter than her current composition using Material Girl or Transformation Blast]), linked Enhanced Skills (Close Combat (Unarmed), Acrobatics) 5 (Permanent, Quirk 2 [Only dynamically changeable when absorbing a material lighter than her current composition using Material Girl or Transformation Blast]) linked Flight 5 (Limited [Only up or along solid surfaces] Quirk [Must begin and end movement solidly supported] Quirk 2 [Only dynamically changeable when absorbing a material lighter than her current composition using Material Girl or Transformation Blast]) {24/53pp}

Unusual Physiology: Immunity (Life Support) (Limited to Half Effect) {5pp}

Replacement Materials:
    Regeneration 6 (Sustained, Quirk 2 [Requires access to undamaged solid material]) {4pp}

Material Sense:
    Mental Acute Analytical Penetrates Concealment Radius Detect [Material Composition] (Activation 2, Limited [Solid objects/surfaces only]) {2pp}

Equipment:

Cheap Flip Phone: Cell phone {2ep+2 AEs=4ep}
    -Camera {1/3ep}
    -Flashlight {2/3ep}

Commlink {2ep}

Abilities
    {18}+Defenses{4}+Skills{13}+Advantages{14}+Powers{101} = {150pp}

Spoiler: Offense
    Show
    Initiative +8

Unarmed: +5* Toughness v DC30* Damage
    Living Statue: Fortitude v DC20 Affliction (Dazed+Vulnerable, Stunned+Defenseless, Transformed) and DC20 Weaken Toughness
    Petrified Gadgetry: (D20+10) against Higher of Will/Power v Nullify, Fortitude v DC20 Affliction (Dazed+Impaired, Stunned+Disabled, Transformed, device powers only)
    Transformation Blast: Dodge v DC 20, Fort v DC20 (DC15 on dodge success)

Spoiler: Complications
    Show
    Mostly for Funsies (Motivation: Thrills/Fame): At the beginning, Sam's main reason for getting into the hero-ing business was the sheer rush of it, the adrenaline of fighting bad guys and doing heroic action stunts. (And hey, the cheering crowds aren't bad either.) And to a certain extent, it still is.

...But Also for Goodsies (Motivation: Doing Good): However, over the last couple of years, Sam has also developed an appreciation for helping people and doing the best she can to protect her home from potentially catastrophic threats. (And, just maybe, finding a way to stop the organization that caused the accident leading to her transformation in the first place)

Azoth Research Institute (Enemy):
    A little-known (intentionally so) research and development conglomerate with surprising amounts of financial power and far-reaching political influence, with a number of shell companies (including the one Sam temporarily worked with, Greene Pharmaceutical Ltd.) across the globe. They are allegedly a biomedical research firm, but their actual activities are more...bizarre, including forays into experimental physics, cloning, mind-altering chemicals, and any other number of unusual fields; including the recovery and study of the strange extraterrestrial artifact that granted Sam her powers. Their exact motives are unclear, but one of their current top priorities is the recovery of their "escaped artifact", so that it may be dismantled and exploited. It didn't take long for them to link the sudden appearance of Missmash to their missing reality-shifting relic, and they have already sent (and lost) many deniable assets and mercenaries in an effort to capture her. However, they are not aware of the fact that Missmash is actually presumed-dead test subject Samantha Smith (they believe the material-warping hero is simply a manifestation of the Red Stone itself) and have no idea of her relation to their own top researcher. Or at least, if they do, they have not yet acted on it.

The Artificers (Enemy): The material-shifting artifact currently merged with Sam was, according to Samuel, the handiwork of an extraterrestrial civilization their team nicknamed simply "The Artificers". Almost nothing is known about them, but the fragments of ancient documentation found with the artifact that they could decipher suggest they are an incredibly ancient civilization, and that the relic may have been intended to be part of a terraforming project. Now that their artifact has been reactivated, whatever remains of them, wherever they are, might wish to retrieve it.

Samuel Smith (Relationship): Sam's older brother, physicist and current head researcher at Azoth Research Institute's Experimental Physics division. A verifiable genius, Samuel graduated high school and college incredibly early, and was able to obtain a doctorate degree in physics at the staggeringly young age of 23. His first major project was unlocking the secrets and capabilities of the artifact Azoth had found within a glacier; the one that led to the incident that gave Sam her abilities.
    A generally timid and introverted man who prefers his studies to human interaction, Samuel nonetheless has always had a good relationship with Sam. The two of them have been slightly-antagonistic-best-friends since they were kids, teasing each other about their "egghead" and "meathead" interests and trying to outdo each other at video games, pranks, and various competitions, but nonetheless having each others' backs.
    Sam trusted Samuel absolutely before the incident - indeed, that's part of why she decided to sign up for trials at a somewhat-shady research institute she'd never heard of - but since, there's been a sort of cold, sour rift between them that hasn't quite healed. Samuel feels awful about it, of course, and helps in whatever way he can (providing her with financial support and researching a possible way to separate her from the artifact when he can hide it), but Sam still has trouble trusting him the same way she did before.
    The pair have (they believe) covered their tracks well, keeping their ongoing contact since the incident hidden and avoiding tipping off Azoth or anyone else; or, if anyone knows, they haven't yet acted on it.

Leave The Kid Out Of This (Temper/Quirk):
    Sam has a particular soft spot for kids; they're likely to be her first priority in a rescue situation, and she'll go after a villain who uses or threatens children even more aggressively than normal.

Some Sort of Weird Space Magic (Power Loss/Weakness):
    Sam's condition and powers are the result of the alien magical artifact that's been fused with her body. Other forms of magic may interfere with her abilities or cause them to react in strange ways, and anti-magic abilities may shut them down entirely. Additionally, the magic is what allows her to still function while being made of metal and concrete; if her powers are nullified, she may lose the ability to move entirely, essentially becoming a statue.

The White Stone (Power Loss/Weakness): For whatever reason, Sam's powers do not effect the element Antimony whatsoever. She cannot absorb it, or swap its composition with anything else; and her powers are limited and weakened on Antimony alloys. Her brother has theorized that this was meant as some sort of failsafe by the creators, or perhaps that it has something to do with how the artifact itself was created. This is a weakness that Azoth already knows about, unfortunately, and has attempted to use against her on a few occasions; presumably it is known to the Artificers, wherever they may be, as well.

Distortion Field (Quirk): The energies making Sam's form into a swirling mess of varying materials actually extends slightly outside her body, distorting the composition of any solid object she's holding, carrying, or wearing. This makes most electronic devices impossible to use unless she spends a standard action each turn concentrating on keeping their composition from distorting. And of course sometimes devices will just break from having conductive (or worse, combustive) material shifted around to where it shouldn't be.

Greatly Exaggerated (Secret):
    As far as the public is concerned, Samantha Smith is a missing persons case, assumed dead (and her current condition disguises and distorts her features enough that nobody who doesn't know her well would recognize her, even with a close inspection); the only one who knows otherwise is, as far as she knows, her brother. This relieves some of the difficulties of hiding a secret identity, but if someone were to find out who she actually was (and that she wasn't actually dead), it would cause a great many problems, both for her and potentially her family. She's kept cagey about her origins (mostly just throwing out cryptic hints of space wizard empires and letting the media rumor mill do the rest), but there's no telling what a skeptical reporter or official might dig up.

Welp, No Hiding That (Fame/Prejudice/Quirk):
    Missmash has no secret identity; in her current form it would be fairly impossible to even try (hard to be an inconspicuous mild-mannered reporter made of swirling unstable matter). She's basically instantly recognizable anywhere she goes if she's not actively hiding her face and skin, which makes living an ordinary life essentially impossible. Her appearance is also quite...alien-looking and disconcerting, especially up close, which only exacerbates the issue and, in conjunction with the caginess about her origins, leads to a certain amount of public distrust.

Spoiler: Power Descriptors
    Show

Intuition: [Knowledge, Skill]
    : Sam is, despite the meatheaded athlete stereotype, skilled and knowledgeable on a number of topics.

Material Girl: [Magic, Artifact, Material] Sam can change the material composition of both herself and solid objects around her, "shifting" those materials from one to another. She can do this by swapping the composition of two objects (turning a wooden chair into a metal one by transferring some metal from the floor and vice-versa) or swapping material between herself and an object (transferring some metal from herself to the chair, and absorbing the wood in the process). The second option, of course, changes her own physical attributes significantly.

-Living Statue: [Magic, Artifact, Material] Sam can change the composition of others as well; and of course, without the benefit of a magical artifact animating it, a concrete arm is very hard to use. It's not as easy as transmuting an inert object, of course, but she can still petrify parts of an enemy, or even turn them (nonlethally!) into a completely inanimate statue.

-Petrified Gadgetry: [Magic, Artifact, Material] Gadgets obviously have a lot of trouble working when their cicuitry's been replaced with wood. Sam can completely shut off electronics in this way, rendering them useless unless she restores them, and can hamper the effectiveness of electronic weaponry and powers, or any power that might be affected by its power source suddenly turning to concrete. Of course replacing random parts of a gadget with conductive material might have some unexpected effects...

-Transformation Blast: [Magic, Artifact, Material] It takes some concentration, but Sam can transform a wide area of material at once, spreading the change outward from herself and catching any enemy touching the ground, partially petrifying them. Of course this is a pretty massive effort, requiring the transmutation of a whole area, and her own material composition is almost completely replaced afterwards.

Density: [Magic, Artifact, Physical Qualities] By absorbing denser materials, Sam can change her own physical attributes. The denser the materials currently making up Sam are, the more stress she can withstand, the harder she is to hurt, the more weight she can pack behind her punches, and the more robust her internal systems are (hard to mess up literal iron lungs!)

-Lightness: [Magic, Artifact, Physical Qualities, Rubber, Adhesive] Absorbing lighter materials, of course, pushes her attributes in the opposite direction. The lighter the materials currently making up Sam are, the easier it is to move quickly (making it easier to dodge attacks and land hits) and pull certain stunts. She can also traverse the city much more quickly and effectively while light, leaping and running across buildings with her athletic training, smoothing and replacing materials on the fly to reduce friction and make climbing easier, and using some specialized experimental rubber and adhesives her brother managed to sneak out to bounce and crawl off and up certain surfaces.

Unusual Physiology: [Magic, Artifact] Sam's biology is no longer an ordinary human one, and although the magic allowing her body to function needs fuel and energy she is no longer as susceptible to ordinary ailments or physical needs.

Replacement Materials: [Magic, Artifact, Material]
    Sam can heal herself on the fly using her abilities, replacing any damaged material in her makeup with the undamaged material around her.

Material Sense: [Magic, Artifact]
    With a bit of concentration, Sam can focus in on the material makeup of any solid she's touching, determining its chemical and physical composition in minute detail.

Spoiler: Personality/Physical Description
    Show
    Physical Description: Sam is 25 years old, about 5'4, with a slim but well-built frame. Before the incident, she had lightly tanned skin, shoulder-length red hair normally kept in a ponytail, and brown eyes. After it, however, though her form is still the same shape, her actual composition been replaced with swirling streaks and blobs of the various materials she's absorbed. She can hold them in particular patterns by concentrating, but otherwise they simply "float" across her skin and clothes rather like blobs in a lava lamp.

Personality Description: Sam is a generally upbeat, optimistic, go-with-the-flow type person, usually reasoning that bad things are going to happen, might as well accept it and act instead of letting herself get upset at it. She tends to have a pretty casual and irreverent approach to most things, even serious situations (she's a notorious quipper and punner in battle), much to the irritation of others she's occasionally worked with. However, her attitude will flip on a dime in truly serious situation, especially those where friends, family or children may die or when locked in a very challenging fight, becoming a silent, hyper-focused machine.

Sam's usual response to emotional (or literal, in some cases) pain is to bottle it up and ignore it as long as possible, forcing herself to work through and maintain a positive, can-do attitude and hoping it simply fades. This leads her to quite often push herself past her limits mentally and physically. She's given herself serious injuries more than once by forcing herself to keep working and fighting through a lesser one. Emotionally speaking, she will often allow anger, guilt, depression and other negative emotion to simply build up until at some random later point she breaks down entirely.

Sam favors the straightforward, blunt approach to most problems, preferring to take some kind of action immediately even if it's not the ideal one; plans can always be improvised later, but the death laser is charging up right now! She dislikes waiting or doing nothing; it always feels like she's wasting time. Even when there's no incident in progress or anything like that, she tries to find some way of staying physically active (preferably outdoors) every moment she can, whether it's training or gardening or just shooting hoops.

Spoiler: Build Notes
    Show
    So, she's essentially built as a powerhouse/brawler type; all those grab-based afflictions, grab advantages, the Regeneration, and the mutable defense shifts all make her pretty terrifying at close range, but she's not got a lot of options for dealing with distant threats. She can shift her attributes back and forth between toughness/raw strength vs accuracy/evasion/mobility for flexibility using the Dynamic array (I'll make a note of the "caps" for each end of Toughness/DP and Strength/Attack later), which is bound to her other really major power, the Transform.

The Transform essentially functions as a "swap" of two materials she's either touching or has "absorbed" (which mechanically just lets her "carry" a certain amount of material on her person), which is why I went so far as putting Limit 3 on it; I think it's a pretty drastic reduction in capability from the base version of being able to turn any solid material into any other solid material at all. (Though I'll change it if you find that unreasonable, obviously). I also listed the change from pounds of material to volumes as a quirk, since M&M volumes are incredibly small and 200lbs of material is generally going to be much more than 4 cubic feet of the same material. My biggest concern is probably the action; I did use a bit of extras cheesing (Reaction then 2 ranks of Increased Action) so that I could use Transform as a move action, seeing as there isn't a way to buy that directly and being able to change her attributes quickly is a central part of her build. I don't think this is overpowered, since Transform itself (well, this form of it anyway) doesn't really have any direct offensive applications that could be used to get multiple attacks/major damaging effects off in a turn or anything like that. (I can change it if you're not comfortable though it'd likely involve gutting a lot of the sheet, and it might be easier to just go for a different character)

Then there are the attacks arrayed off of Transform, mostly Grab-Based afflictions. (She's going to be a pretty grab-focused character). The exception is the area attack, which requires that she first spend her move action transforming the ground below whoever she's hitting with it. This basically makes it a full-round action of sorts.

The Intuition power is basically copied from this character guide: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...haracter-Guide
    Last edited by zzzzzzzz414; 2019-09-15 at 12:03 PM.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Barbarian in the Playground

DrowGirl

I have added some more to her backstory filling in the blanks; literal _____ spots, where he ranks in fighting come from, etc.

You have two linked Move Object effects, one at Rank 10 (25 tons) and the other at Rank 6 (3200 lbs, lifting only).
    There's probably an incoherence there.
    The idea is to apply the concept of Power-Lifting to her base move object rather than strength. So that in combat she can handle rank 10 (25 tons), but if a bridge or building is collapsing she can lift rank 16 (1600 tons).

I have only a high school - level (if that) in science and so I don't know how many different energy sources there is.
    These are the most common energy types that I can think of in terms of game mechanics that fall within 10 ranks of immunity.
    Cold, Heat, Electricity, Radiation, Light, Gravity, Sonic, Magnetic, Chemical.

Kinetic energy is not on the list because it would require something like 60 ranks of immunity due to how the game balances things.

I have two solutions to reworking Energy Immunity.
    1. Variable (Immunity Power), Limited (Pick one of the following: Cold, Heat, Electricity, Radiation, Light, Gravity, Sonic, Magnetic, or Chemical) - 12 points.
    2. Immunity (Energy), Tiring - 10 points

Acrobatics : See Aikido ?
    From personal experience I can tell you that Aikido training can be applied in part to acrobatics, predominantly falling and rolling.
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry that I'm a pedantic nitpicker, but gravity and magnetism aren't energy. They're forces, and more similar to kinetic effects than the traditional conception of energy weapons. Arguably chemical fits into this category as well, since unless it's an exothermic reaction, any damage would be done by the chemical reacting with its victim's body.

My Nexus characters

15. - Top - End - #105
    Barbarian in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    Sorry that I'm a pedantic nitpicker, but gravity and magnetism aren't energy. They're forces, and more similar to kinetic effects than the traditional conception of energy weapons. Arguably chemical fits into this category as well, since unless it's an exothermic reaction, any damage would be done by the chemical reacting with its victim's body.
    My list would look very different if I was listing real categories of energy.
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Izzarra View Post
    My list would look very different if I was listing real categories of energy.
    Heh, I know.

In actual important news, sheet, complications, and a rudimentary backstory are now up in My earlier post

My Nexus characters

17. - Top - End - #107
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

• If the range is "personnal" and the duration is other than "permanent" with an "Affect Other" effect, I think for balance reason that yes, you have to stay in contact for the power to work.
    • If the range is "close", "ranged" or "perception" and the duration is other than "permanent" with an "Affect Other" effect, I think you don't have to stay in contact for the power to work and you can dismiss it with a free action.
    • If the duration is "permanent" with an "Affect Other" effect, I think you don't have to stay in contact for the power to work but you cannot dismiss it either.

I think Affect Other (though it doesn't specify it) grants a personal range power the range of close since it describes that you reach out and touch your target and the close range is equal to the reach of your hero. This is seen in other effects such as morph where it lists an extra as "Attack" which looks like an 0 cost Affect other (only affects others) modification.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ettin in the Playground

~snip~
    I would like to direct your attention to Page 62 of the Players' Handbook, which clearly states
    The Immunity effect (see the Powers chapter) can also render characters immune to interaction skills.
    I would also like to point out the Fearless Advantage at the bottom of page 84, which is worth a single power point and is
    essentially the same as an Immunity to Fear effect (see Immunity in the Powers chapter).
    Even though "Fear" is not among of the listed descriptors one can choose to be immune to.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

19. - Top - End - #109

Yeah, immunity to Deception isn't a thing. Immunity to the Feint Manuever, yeah. Want to be Immune to lying, buy Insight to PL cap and take Skill Mastery.

That's like buying Immunity to Stealth, it's always gotta be common sense first.
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2019-09-15 at 04:39 AM.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ettin in the Playground

I have quoted two different portions of the handbook that say otherwise.

21. - Top - End - #111

I'm going to disagree with you, the GM has already quoted the rules which state that the rules themselves are a framework and should be disregarded or modified for the benefit of the game. So you need to use common sense and a sense of balance when using the mechanics of the game, otherwise you start an arms race of stupid **** that shouldn't see a table, ever.

Because you CAN, do a thing doesn't mean you SHOULD. Reaction Teleport made it into a Guide, that will never see the light of day at my table, Teleport with the Attack modifier becomes Save or Die, there's not even a Resistance check if I recall correctly.

There's an implicit sense of trust in using a point buy system, and open frameworks for Powers. Don't abuse it, show some respect for your fellow players, the GM, the story and the genre.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ettin in the Playground

Please allow the GM to address the concerns I have brought up.

23. - Top - End - #113

M&M isn't D&D : the rules are really more like guidelines, with DM and players trying to find what's fair and fun for all.
    [snip]
    Oh no no no !!

Allowing you to get immunity to Deception for 1 PP makes the whole skill of Insight a bit... well empty.

The fact is that the difference between the full truth, the technical truth, a lie, an error, an omission or just being that good at talking is very subjective.

If you want a lie detector based on the other person's body language, look the "Sense" power :
    I would accept for a Sense (Detect Lie, Acute, Analytical, Insight Check Required DC15) (1 PP flat) as giving you a binary answer "Lie" or "Truth" to a given statement, based on what the person saying it believe it to be.

If you want to just be aware when someone is trying to deceive you, that's just Insight.
    Looks like they have?

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

@John Cribati :
    It seems you are right.
    There is even a power like that among the quickstart character generator.

I stand corrected.

A character can have immunity to all interaction skills if you take 5 ranks in Immunity.
    This would in effect make him immune to :
    • Deception (Bluffing, Disguise, Feinting, Innuendo, Tricking)
    • Intimidation (Coercing, Demoralizing)
    • Persuasion

This seems difficult to actually apply in play, for the reasons I already gave you.

The exemple I found in the Hero's Handbook is for a mindless rage so one can understand why the character wouldn't be suceptible to interaction, since his only interaction would be to rip other people appart.

I agree to give it a try, though.

Since you don't want a blanket immunity to all interaction skills, here is what I suggest :
    • Your character must have a very good background reason to have that immunity.
    • Your character must have at least 18 rank in Insight (maximum at PL 8 is 18 so it's doable)
    • Your character will have a power that is Immunity (Deception) 5, Check Required 4 (Insight)

To use this Immunity fully, you will need a check result of 19 (DC 14 +5 pts for the 5 ranks of Immunity).
    Since you have 18 ranks in Insight, you would have to roll 1 or higher.
    1 is an automatic failure : that's the small 5% chance that your Immunity doesn't work.
    Fluff-wise, you didn't pick up the subtle signals this time for whatever reason.
    All other results are a success, thanks to your high Insight.

Is this acceptable ?
    Last edited by Johel; 2019-09-15 at 08:08 AM.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ettin in the Playground

I can live with that.

Though to be fair, the character I'm going for is an Empath, so he'd logically be able to know when someone is lying just by hearing their voice. But we can say some people can just naturally be harder to read.

26. - Top - End - #116

First off, let me apologize. As a GM of M&M for close to 10 years, I have a very specific design philosophy for power effects and mechanics. Immunity to a skill set me off because of it's wider implications. Immunity to Perception? What does that mean, invisibility to all sense for 1 point? Immunity to Stealth? Can never be surprised? Immunity to Unarmed Combat (it is, after all, a skill) ...

Hopefully you can see my concern, even if you don't agree with it.

Now, as the GM has spoken, it is their game and I can respect that. One thing to remember, you will only know if someone tells a lie, willingly, or knowingly ... ask any Police Officer, eye witness testimony is not reliable, or consistent because people sometimes see or hear what they want to see or hear ... plus you enter into a whole other slew of possibilities when you bring in mind control, mental illusions, and such. "Yes, I gave the CEO access to the server room it's his damn company." Not a lie if the person telling it was mind controlled, or subject to any other sort of ability that would make him assume the intruder was the CEO.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

@bc56 & @Zero Prime :
    Reading the background of V'Rak, I see how it can synergies with Carapace.
    I like it.

Alright, here is my character
    That's the character from the game with Zhentarim, correct ? I loved the concept back then, still love it now.
    I'll see the crunch in good time but the BG is, of course, perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Izzarra
    The idea is to apply the concept of Power-Lifting to her base move object rather than strength. So that in combat she can handle rank 10 (25 tons), but if a bridge or building is collapsing she can lift rank 16 (1600 tons).
    Ok, thank you for the clarification of your intent.

Spoiler
    Show
    Power-Lifting, when used with Enhanced Strength, works like this :
    You have the total Enhanced Strength (ex : 16 ranks), which cost 2 PP per rank (ex : 32 PP) then there's Limited (Lifting) (ex : 6 ranks) which reduced the total PP cost (ex : -6 PP) and thus gives you the final PP cost (ex : 32 - 6 = 26 PP for +16 ranks in Strength, with only 10 outside of lifting)

With your power Move Object, it goes like this :
    Move Object 16 (+32 PP) Subtle (+1 PP) Precise (+1 PP) Split 1 (+1 PP) Accurate 5 (+5 PP) Throwing Mastery 2 (+2 PP) Limited (Lifting) 6 (-6 PP)
    This makes it a power at 36 PP.

The problem with that is with the limites linked to Power Level :
    Attack & Effect: the total of your hero’s attack bonus and effect rank with that attack cannot exceed twice the series power level.
    Here, you have Accurate +5 and Move Object 16, which makes 21
    Since the effective rank during an attack is only 10 and it has no other impact in a combat, I think it's ok but I let others know just in case.

I have two solutions to reworking Energy Immunity.
    1. Variable (Immunity Power), Limited (Pick one of the following: Cold, Heat, Electricity, Radiation, Light, Gravity, Sonic, Magnetic, or Chemical) - 12 points.
    2. Immunity (Energy), Tiring - 10 points
    I do not like Variable Effect unless there's a very good Background reason.
    Tiring will slow you down only, though it can be really bad if you are under a barrage of energy attacks

I'm ok with the option 2 if you are ok with it.

I think Affect Other (though it doesn't specify it) grants a personal range power the range of close since it describes that you reach out and touch your target and the close range is equal to the reach of your hero. This is seen in other effects such as morph where it lists an extra as "Attack" which looks like an 0 cost Affect other (only affects others) modification.
    That's an Attack.
    This is a standard action.
    This also requires a check to hit.

But reading again Affect Others, it seems that it is also a standard action.
    So ok, no problem.
    You don't have to stay in contact, unless you take a Limited flaw to make it so.

First off, let me apologize. As a GM of M&M for close to 10 years, I have a very specific design philosophy for power effects and mechanics. Immunity to a skill set me off because of it's wider implications. Immunity to Perception? What does that mean, invisibility to all sense for 1 point? Immunity to Stealth? Can never be surprised? Immunity to Unarmed Combat (it is, after all, a skill) ...
    I have the same concern as you over "what is a lie and what is just wrong information".

For the "Immunity to a skill", that's not the issue here.
    The issue is that it is technically allowed to be immune to interaction skills (and only them) and even written down for what price.
    As such so it should be possible if correctly managed.

I put an additionnal restriction which will force the character to :
    • have a thematical level of Insight to justify so
    • have a chance of failure anyway, which is fair

If it doesn't work, you'll have my apologies and I'll defer to your experience.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Does Alternate form from the book have a cost? Given my character's concept she would use a seal to lock away most of her magic to appear human (so she can function in human society), so I chose the heroic form option.

29. - Top - End - #119

@Johel

Honestly there is a fascinating issue in Astro City, where a mobster walks into an Italian Restaurant and guns down his rival with a shotgun in front of dozens of witnesses. He then kidnaps a no-name lawyer's family, and tells the lawyer to get him off. So an impossible situation for the lawyer, until he realizes that he lives in a world where Mind Control, Mental Illusion, Mutant Shape Shifters, Portable Holograms and Genetic Clones are a thing ... so he is able to utilize those occurrences and create reasonable doubt in the minds of the Jury.

It was a very jump the shark moment for me.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Troll in the Playground

I think I've pretty firmly settled into my idea to play a time cop from the future, working to protect the 21st century as their beat. So with that being the case, the obvious question arises being 'how much time travel is acceptable?'. I'm fine with not explicitly having the official 'time travel' power which would let me jump back 50 years whenever I am craving an authentic 60's milkshake, but at the same time, I would like to have some capacity to pull off temporal trickery as part of my arsenal.

Some things I have in mind would be

"I'm From The Future" Senses 4 (Precognition)(Flaws: Check Required (Memory))
    Knowledge of future events from having read about them long after they transpired, though subject to how well they can recall the specifics. I could also see this done as 'limited to recorded history', as a sort of catchall way to describe that only events important enough to get written down actually survive to the future, preventing them from knowing about minor details. Might also tack on something like Well Informed, since even on first meeting someone, they'd have a chance to already know about that person.

"Excellent Adventure" Still working out the specifics, but I'd want something to reflect the bill & ted maneuver of 'after the fight is over, we go back in time and hide an object we need now, so that its here'. Like finding the key to a locked door hidden in a nearby office plant, knowing that later I'll go back in time to hide that key there for myself to find it.

"Paradox" Affliction (Dazed/Stunned/Transformed), reflecting my traveling to the past, altering some part of the subjects history, and then returning to the present in which they have changed due to the consequences of my alteration.

I also am thinking of tacking on A side effect (-2) version to some of these powers, with a will save vs damage or affliction, to reflect the fact that meddling with time is opening my character up to the possibility of butterfly effect-ing themselves with paradox. I like the prospect of there being a toll to using these abilities.
    High Reverend of the Church of the Icosahedron