New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Banned

PaladinGuy

Default Re: A silver dragon from Krynn enters the Marvel Universe

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    I suppose she is used to working with a partner of some kind or another. Though I feel it's more likely that she'll end up working with an already existing hero rather than recruiting a relatively normal person. Also I maintain that she's a natural fit for the X-Men.

Also I don't think people from the Marvel Universe would level up.
    So are we going with the Mutants and Masterminds rules? If we did. We'd have to convert her statistics to the M&M equivalents. There is a Marvel rpg out there, do you know much about it? But it seems to me after watching a few Marvel movies that the characters do improve on themselves, and it seems to me that Thanos is very similar to a high level character in D&D. Thor is very much like a high level fighter with a magic hammer that allows him to fly and cast lightning bolds, his toughness would have a lot to do with his high level and lots of hit points. I could create a D&D character that was very similar to Marvel Thor in many respects.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kalbfus View Post
    So are we going with the Mutants and Masterminds rules? If we did. We'd have to convert her statistics to the M&M equivalents. There is a Marvel RPG out there, do you know much about it? But it seems to me after watching a few Marvel movies that the characters do improve on themselves, and it seems to me that Thanos is very similar to a high-level character in D&D. Thor is very much like a high-level fighter with a magic hammer that allows him to fly and cast lightning bolds, his toughness would have a lot to do with his high level and lots of hit points. I could create a D&D character that was very similar to Marvel Thor in many respects.
    That a Stat block of Thor in D&D 3.5 Deities And Demigods.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

So are we going with the Mutants and Masterminds rules? If we did. We'd have to convert her statistics to the M&M equivalents. There is a Marvel rpg out there, do you know much about it? But it seems to me after watching a few Marvel movies that the characters do improve on themselves, and it seems to me that Thanos is very similar to a high level character in D&D. Thor is very much like a high level fighter with a magic hammer that allows him to fly and cast lightning bolds, his toughness would have a lot to do with his high level and lots of hit points. I could create a D&D character that was very similar to Marvel Thor in many respects.
    M&M could work, but I think a homebrew version of Exalted would work better.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Even good dragons are generally portrayed as not caring that much for heroics, at least not to the point where they'd consistently go out and adventure to foil bad guys, generally speaking they are at times more amused with people than anything else and just play chessmaster by having other people do their dirty work

5. - Top - End - #65
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Without an extremely permissive GM you wouldn't be able to get close to Thor. His strength and constitution would be off the chart.
    He can tow islands around and once flew against the gravity of a neutron star, is basically immune to poisons and disease, superhumanly fast (flight speed of mach 34), a couple of thousand years old, and able to control lightning and weather at will

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

I never played M&M, but I assume that a game known for not being the most balanced on it's regular state as it is, would be an utter wreck if players were given enough points to make Thor level characters

7. - Top - End - #67
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Without an extremely permissive GM you wouldn't be able to get close to Thor. His strength and constitution would be off the chart.
    He can tow islands around and once flew against the gravity of a neutron star, is basically immune to poisons and disease, superhumanly fast (flight speed of mach 34), a couple of thousand years old, and able to control lightning and weather at will
    Mach 34 is entirely possible in M&M rules. The nice thing about M&M is that most statistics scale up exponentially when you invest power points in them.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

8. - Top - End - #68
    Banned

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    That a Stat block of Thor in D&D 3.5 Deities And Demigods.
    They are written so they are hard to use, on one hand they have high saving throws for instance and then it says they always make a save, and gods always get the initiative, its a little confusing and contradictory. It also says gods always succeed at a skill check. I would say the Marvel Thor is less powerful than the Deities and Demigods Thor. I don't remember ever hearing about clerics that worship Thor in the Marvel Universe and gain healing spells from him.
    Last edited by Tom Kalbfus; 2019-09-16 at 04:46 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

They are written so they are hard to use, on one hand they have high saving throws for instance and then it says they always make a save, and gods always get the initiative, its a little confusing and contradictory. It also says gods always succeed at a skill check. I would say the Marvel Thor is less powerful than the Deities and Demigods Thor. I don't remember ever hearing about clerics that worship Thor in the Marvel Universe and gain healing spells from him.
    IIRC, there were some who worshiped Thor in the 2099 universe.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morgana View Post
    Even good dragons are generally portrayed as not caring that much for heroics, at least not to the point where they'd consistently go out and adventure to foil bad guys, generally speaking they are at times more amused with people than anything else and just play chessmaster by having other people do their dirty work
    Some material characterises Silvers as being big fans of the humanoid races, more than other metallics, and willing to act to protect them. Food, events, human entertainments etc. are things they find enjoyable. I can see a Silver Dragon finding a megacity like New York rather intoxicating. Just in terms of food, there are so many restaurants that even a dragon would struggle to try them all. Get a nice spacious loft apartment somewhere, start a collection of treasure, I'm thinking modern manufactured good rather than a pile of gold, and if the city needs protecting every now and then, why not help out? That stuff doesn't come cheap of course, and if hero worked paid well Peter Parker wouldn't be poor all the time. A teacher's salary isn't going to be enough either. Doctor would be better but there is a lot of training and certification required, even if some of those ranks in Heal are portable. Something in business or finance would make use of the Dragon's high Int and Cha and is more amenable to "fake it till you make it".

High flying financier by day, high flying draconic crime-fighter by night. Constantly eating.
    Last edited by Excession; 2019-09-16 at 06:48 PM.

11. - Top - End - #71

BlackDragon

Pretty sure in 3.x no metallic loves humanoids more than brass.

12. - Top - End - #72

Quote Originally Posted by HolyDraconus View Post
    Pretty sure in 3.x no metallic loves humanoids more than brass.
    Fair point. I had forgotten that brass dragons exist.

13. - Top - End - #73

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Excession View Post
    Some material characterises Silvers as being big fans of the humanoid races, more than other metallics, and willing to act to protect them. Food, events, human entertainments etc. are things they find enjoyable. I can see a Silver Dragon finding a megacity like New York rather intoxicating. Just in terms of food, there are so many restaurants that even a dragon would struggle to try them all. Get a nice spacious loft apartment somewhere, start a collection of treasure, I'm thinking modern manufactured good rather than a pile of gold, and if the city needs protecting every now and then, why not help out? That stuff doesn't come cheap of course, and if hero worked paid well Peter Parker wouldn't be poor all the time. A teacher's salary isn't going to be enough either. Doctor would be better but there is a lot of training and certification required, even if some of those ranks in Heal are portable. Something in business or finance would make use of the Dragon's high Int and Cha and is more amenable to "fake it till you make it".

High flying financier by day, high flying draconic crime-fighter by night. Constantly eating.
    I just wanted to say that this is a fantastic writeup.
    "Is this 'cause I killed the hippie? Is that even illegal?"