The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 73
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: A silver dragon from Krynn enters the Marvel Universe

    Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Silva isn't just a generic Silver Dragon, she's a specific one from the Dragonlance books. So we get some idea about her personality. Not much, because she's a minor character who mostly shows up to fall in love with a different minor character and to generate drama about her secretly being a dragon, but whatever.

    Anyways, in the story she went undercover as an 'indentured servant' to the elves in order to try and help the wild elves they were enslaving as well as to help prevent a civil war between the main two factions of elves. She also worked as a healer.

    She then later goes on an inflitration mission to try and save the metallic dragon eggs that were being held hostage, only to find out that they were in fact being used to create Draconians in an evil magic ritual.

    Point is, she's subtle, and she doesn't care too much about honor or chivalry. I mean, strictly speaking, she was violating an oath of noninterference the whole time. She might very well pretend to be a person who can turn into a dragon, rather then the opposite. She's also religious (dragons in Dragonlance tend to be, as they often directly talk to their gods and typically are their go-to agents in reality.) so she might claim her 'powers' are granted from Paladine.

    But I maintain she'd end up as an X-Men. I like the idea of her being a teacher, and she'd likely do really well as one. But I don't think she'd be old fashioned as much as odd. I feel like she'd be much more of a 'new age' spiritualist kind of person rather than old courtly lady sort of thing. Her main guise is a elf barbarian basically. I could see her teaching classes on Religion, Cooking, and Arts.

    I could also really really see her working as an elementary teacher, either for mutants or for any sort of oppressed or poor group. A Silver Dragon, teaching children to be better while fiercely protecting them from any who would harm them.
    She shouldn't have any problem contacting her God in the Marvel Universe, so much other magic goes on anyway, and the Infinity stones were magic, one of the heros is a god from Asgard. The X-men don't live in the same Universe as the Avengers, but maybe we could say that an effect of the last finger snap brought them over. What exactly is the difference between the Avengers and the X-men anyway. To set the record straight, Silva is not a mutant, she is a dragon who sometimes assumes humanoid form, she often works undercover, and is probably doing the same here. She could appear as a human rather than a elf. If someone casts dispel magic on her. She probably reverts to her dragon form. Dragons are often misunderstood, so she reverts to her dragon form when she is alone or has no other choice.

  2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Lurkmoar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011

    Default Re: A silver dragon from Krynn enters the Marvel Universe

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kalbfus View Post
    She shouldn't have any problem contacting her God in the Marvel Universe, so much other magic goes on anyway, and the Infinity stones were magic, one of the heros is a god from Asgard. The X-men don't live in the same Universe as the Avengers, but maybe we could say that an effect of the last finger snap brought them over. What exactly is the difference between the Avengers and the X-men anyway. To set the record straight, Silva is not a mutant, she is a dragon who sometimes assumes humanoid form, she often works undercover, and is probably doing the same here. She could appear as a human rather than a elf. If someone casts dispel magic on her. She probably reverts to her dragon form. Dragons are often misunderstood, so she reverts to her dragon form when she is alone or has no other choice.
    -flipp mode on-The difference between the Avengers and the X-men is that one is a team that came together by happenstance, beat up Loki and thought that the name Avengers was cool, even though they didn't really avenge anything in that story. The other group started in that they were a bunch of teens gathered up a crippled guy to fight another dude that wanted to steal nuclear bombs or something like that. Somehow this group was morphed into a metaphor about teen alienation/racism/whatever floats your boat after they added some new blood, mostly characters that weren't WASP. -flipp mode off-

    Does Dispel Magic exist in Marvel Universe? Magic has always been potrayed as slightly flighty (ie author whim) in the Marvel comics I've read that dealt with actual "magic" not "superpowers". It might be tough for a Dragon to find a lair that's far enough from large population centers to avoid attention, but teleport would render that problem moot.
    Don't know your name but bring the pain.

  3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    DrowGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: A silver dragon from Krynn enters the Marvel Universe

    Quote Originally Posted by Lurkmoar View Post
    -flipp mode on-The difference between the Avengers and the X-men is that one is a team that came together by happenstance, beat up Loki and thought that the name Avengers was cool, even though they didn't really avenge anything in that story. The other group started in that they were a bunch of teens gathered up a crippled guy to fight another dude that wanted to steal nuclear bombs or something like that. Somehow this group was morphed into a metaphor about teen alienation/racism/whatever floats your boat after they added some new blood, mostly characters that weren't WASP. -flipp mode off-

    Does Dispel Magic exist in Marvel Universe? Magic has always been potrayed as slightly flighty (ie author whim) in the Marvel comics I've read that dealt with actual "magic" not "superpowers". It might be tough for a Dragon to find a lair that's far enough from large population centers to avoid attention, but teleport would render that problem moot.
    Dude it's Marvel Universe we're talking about. If Dispel Magic works in the Forgotten Realms universe then it should work in Marvel Universe.

  4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    London, UK

    Default Re: A silver dragon from Krynn enters the Marvel Universe

    I think you mean "Silvara".

  5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2007

    Default Re: A silver dragon from Krynn enters the Marvel Universe

    Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Silva isn't just a generic Silver Dragon, she's a specific one from the Dragonlance books. So we get some idea about her personality. Not much, because she's a minor character who mostly shows up to fall in love with a different minor character and to generate drama about her secretly being a dragon, but whatever.
    The original post was about a silver dragon named Silvia, so I don't think she is suppose to be the same silver dragon as Silvara (the dragon to whom you are referring.) That difference may be important since (as your post referenced) Silvara seems to have been a little more independent minded than the typical silver dragon.

  6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Forum Explorer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A silver dragon from Krynn enters the Marvel Universe

    Quote Originally Posted by bguy View Post
    The original post was about a silver dragon named Silvia, so I don't think she is suppose to be the same silver dragon as Silvara (the dragon to whom you are referring.) That difference may be important since (as your post referenced) Silvara seems to have been a little more independent minded than the typical silver dragon.
    I was assuming he just mispelled her name since as far as I know, the only two named Silver Dragons in Dragonlance are Silvara and her sister. I mean, I'd certainly mispell her name, and I'm pretty sure I did.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

    I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

    Procrastination: MLP



    Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.



  7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Ramza00's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location

    Default Re: A silver dragon from Krynn enters the Marvel Universe

    Question would Silvia and Felicity Hardy / Black Cat hang out at night when they are not being awesome as superheroes or just chilling acting like normal humans during the day?
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

  8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: A silver dragon from Krynn enters the Marvel Universe

    Quote Originally Posted by Lurkmoar View Post
    -flipp mode on-The difference between the Avengers and the X-men is that one is a team that came together by happenstance, beat up Loki and thought that the name Avengers was cool, even though they didn't really avenge anything in that story. The other group started in that they were a bunch of teens gathered up a crippled guy to fight another dude that wanted to steal nuclear bombs or something like that. Somehow this group was morphed into a metaphor about teen alienation/racism/whatever floats your boat after they added some new blood, mostly characters that weren't WASP. -flipp mode off-

    Does Dispel Magic exist in Marvel Universe? Magic has always been potrayed as slightly flighty (ie author whim) in the Marvel comics I've read that dealt with actual "magic" not "superpowers". It might be tough for a Dragon to find a lair that's far enough from large population centers to avoid attention, but teleport would render that problem moot.
    I don't think she is a teenager, as for racism, she is a dragon, and people not knowing the difference between a chromatic dragon and a metallic dragon might find that scary, Silvara would understand that I think. In the Marvel Universe there are a lot of strange things. Also I think some red dragons from Krynn might also find their way to the Marvel Universe, each hero has his or her rogues gallery, and Silvara's would include some chromatic dragons. Silvara might hang out in Westchester or go across the Hudson to Orange or Rockland county perhaps. The Marvel Universe is quite accustomed to strange beings.

  9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    DrowGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: A silver dragon from Krynn enters the Marvel Universe

    I assume Silvara worship Bahamut or Tamara in her universe, right?

  10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: A silver dragon from Krynn enters the Marvel Universe

    Quote Originally Posted by bguy View Post
    The original post was about a silver dragon named Silvia, so I don't think she is suppose to be the same silver dragon as Silvara (the dragon to whom you are referring.) That difference may be important since (as your post referenced) Silvara seems to have been a little more independent minded than the typical silver dragon.
    Yes it was, I don't care which silver dragon it is, Silvara might have reason to travel to another world, maybe to put some distance from where she has been. Dragons live a long time, its been a few decades since her heart was broken. Perhaps Silvara would like to get to know people while they are young, to maximize the amount of time she gets to spend with them before they grow old and die, in that respect she is much like Thor.

  11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: A silver dragon from Krynn enters the Marvel Universe

    Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I assume Silvara worship Bahamut or Tamara in her universe, right?
    It would be Paladine, a dragon god.

  12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    DrowGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: A silver dragon from Krynn enters the Marvel Universe

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kalbfus View Post
    It would be Paladine, a dragon god.
    Paladine?! I never heard of him before. Oh wait is Paladine from the Dragonlance universe?

  13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Ramza00's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location

    Default Re: A silver dragon from Krynn enters the Marvel Universe

    Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Paladine?! I never heard of him before. Oh wait is Paladine from the Dragonlance universe?
    Kyrnn (the Planet) is another name for Dragonlance much like the Forgotten Realms takes place on the planet Toril.

    ----

    I forgot this fact when I made my previous post, but someone mentioned Silva / Silvra being an actual character reminded me of this fact Kyrnn equals Dragonlance. [Forum Explorer in post 30]
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

  14. - Top - End - #44
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2007

    Default Re: A silver dragon from Krynn enters the Marvel Universe

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kalbfus View Post
    Yes it was, I don't care which silver dragon it is, Silvara might have reason to travel to another world, maybe to put some distance from where she has been. Dragons live a long time, its been a few decades since her heart was broken. Perhaps Silvara would like to get to know people while they are young, to maximize the amount of time she gets to spend with them before they grow old and die, in that respect she is much like Thor.
    Well if it is Silvara herself, we've actually got her War of the Lance era stats for 3.5. Some of the key ones:

    Very old dragon, 387 HPs, AC 38, SR 27, DR 15/magic, STR 33, DEX 10, CON 23, INT 24, WIS 25, CHA 24, Base Attack +31, and spells as a 13th level sorcerer. (She's also shown as having a number of clerical spells including Heal though I kind of doubt Krynnish clerical magic would work on Earth.)

    With those kind of stats she should definitely be able to hang with the top tier Marvel heroes.

    Though with Silvara's healing abilities (which even without clerical magic are shown to be formidable) she might do better working at a hospital or free clinic rather than a school.
    Last edited by bguy; 2019-09-13 at 06:52 PM.

  15. - Top - End - #45
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator
     
    The Glyphstone's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A silver dragon from Krynn enters the Marvel Universe

    Metallics can learn cleric spells out of certain domains as sorcerer spells, maybe Healing was one of hers?
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel, on quest rewards View Post
    "Is a stack of ten pancakes too many pancakes to give to the party, even if most of them fell on the floor and one or two were stepped on? I wanted to give my party pancakes as a reward but I'm unsure if it's too much. The pancakes are also laced with blowfish poison so the party would have to get an antitoxin before they could eat the ones which weren't pulverized by shoes."

    I don't think anyone would want those pancakes even if you paid them to eat them.

  16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: A silver dragon from Krynn enters the Marvel Universe

    Quote Originally Posted by bguy View Post
    Well if it is Silvara herself, we've actually got her War of the Lance era stats for 3.5. Some of the key ones:

    Very old dragon, 387 HPs, AC 38, SR 27, DR 15/magic, STR 33, DEX 10, CON 23, INT 24, WIS 25, CHA 24, Base Attack +31, and spells as a 13th level sorcerer. (She's also shown as having a number of clerical spells including Heal though I kind of doubt Krynnish clerical magic would work on Earth.)

    With those kind of stats she should definitely be able to hang with the top tier Marvel heroes.

    Though with Silvara's healing abilities (which even without clerical magic are shown to be formidable) she might do better working at a hospital or free clinic rather than a school.
    It is not our Earth, but the Marvel Universe Earth, and magic does exist there so why not healing spells? Marvel Universe Earth does look a lot like our Earth, more so than the DC Universe Earth with its fictional cities like Metropolis and Gotham, but there are some differences between Marvel Earth and our Earth.

    Pretty much any sort of magical or superpower can exist here, there are no restrictions. Most characters are about dealing damage and fighting, curing damage is relatively rare, though not impossible. Hulk has regeneration, so he can heal himself, but healing other people is a rare superpower. If Silvara does this, she will draw a lot of attention to herself. A flying dragon is somewhat more unusual than a flying spaceship.

    Maybe Silvara is looking for a knight or the Marvel Universe equivalent to one, and knights start early, so being a school teacher would be the right profession to go find one. Dragons live a long time, so she is very patient, given time, she has to move from place to place, otherwise people will notice that she is not growing old. Silvara in her human form looks like a 20 something human woman since the late 1980s when she first arrived in this world. Some of her male students have deleloped a crush on her, but don't really know how old she actually is!

  17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    London, UK

    Default Re: A silver dragon from Krynn enters the Marvel Universe

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kalbfus View Post
    It would be Paladine, a dragon god.
    Worth noting that Paladine is another name for Bahamut.

  18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A silver dragon from Krynn enters the Marvel Universe

    Quote Originally Posted by bguy View Post
    Very old dragon, 387 HPs, AC 38, SR 27, DR 15/magic, STR 33, DEX 10, CON 23, INT 24, WIS 25, CHA 24, Base Attack +31, and spells as a 13th level sorcerer. (She's also shown as having a number of clerical spells including Heal though I kind of doubt Krynnish clerical magic would work on Earth.)

    With those kind of stats she should definitely be able to hang with the top tier Marvel heroes.
    The stats themselves won't put her into top tier, because D&D stats are simply not intended to capture the sort of feats superheroes regularly manage. 33 strength in human form would give her a 2.4 ton lift rising to about 10 in her true form, bearing in mind characters like Spider-Man can lift 15 on a good day and even "street level" heroes can sometimes hit the 100 ton class (Luke Cage), and he's not one of the real physical powerhouse characters. (And he'd have a dex score way up there with his strength too).

    And there are characters who'd match those levels on other stats as well, someone like Reed is going to have an Int score that's as off the chart as Hulk's strength score.

    The combination of solid physical capabilities plus natural SLAs plus 13th level casting would make her a solid mid-range hero who would fit in well with any given X-Men or Avengers team, but wouldn't have got the call for, say, the original Defenders (Hulk, Strange, Namor, and the Silver Surfer).

  19. - Top - End - #49
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2007

    Default Re: A silver dragon from Krynn enters the Marvel Universe

    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Metallics can learn cleric spells out of certain domains as sorcerer spells, maybe Healing was one of hers?
    Interesting. I was wondering why she was listed as knowing so many cleric spells.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kalbfus
    It is not our Earth, but the Marvel Universe Earth, and magic does exist there so why not healing spells?
    I was assuming her healing magic was based on clerical spells. Some of the later Dragonlance books establish that the Krynnish gods have to be relatively close to their clerics (probably at least within the same star system) to grant them clerical spells, so most Krynnish clerics probably wouldn't be able to access clerical magic on Earth. (Krynn not being within our star system.) However, since The Glyphstone pointed out that Silvara's healing magic is actually a sorcerer ability rather than clerical magic, I now agree it should work on Marvel Universe Earth.

    Maybe Silvara is looking for a knight or the Marvel Universe equivalent to one, and knights start early, so being a school teacher would be the right profession to go find one. Dragons live a long time, so she is very patient, given time, she has to move from place to place, otherwise people will notice that she is not growing old. Silvara in her human form looks like a 20 something human woman since the late 1980s when she first arrived in this world. Some of her male students have deleloped a crush on her, but don't really know how old she actually is!
    While Silvara would doubtlessly make an excellent teacher given how high her intelligence, wisdom, and charisma scores are, she would do a lot more good working in the medical field. Per her character write up in The War of the Lance game book, she can cast five 6th level spells per day. Thus she could cast Heal five times a day, and since Heal can cure diseases that's at least 5 people with terminal illnesses she could save every single day. She also knows Cure Critical Wounds and can cast it seven times per day, which would make her an incredible trauma doctor.

    And that's just her magical healing. Per her stat write up in the game book, her bonus on Heal skill checks is +24. That would make her functionally equivalent to a 14th level expert (Doctor) with maxed out Heal ability, a 20 Wisdom, and Skill Focus (Heal). Thus even when she has exhausted her magical healing for the day, she would still likely be one of the best doctors in New York City.

    Thus given that Silvara is both a very moral being and has a special ability that would let her save literally thousands of people every year that no one else could help, I think she would inevitably be drawn to work in the medical field. (And it's not like she couldn't find her knight working at a hospital either since there would be countless heroes amongst the paramedics, nurses, and doctors working there.)

    Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine
    The combination of solid physical capabilities plus natural SLAs plus 13th level casting would make her a solid mid-range hero who would fit in well with any given X-Men or Avengers team, but wouldn't have got the call for, say, the original Defenders (Hulk, Strange, Namor, and the Silver Surfer).
    Fair enough.

  20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: A silver dragon from Krynn enters the Marvel Universe

    Quote Originally Posted by bguy View Post
    Interesting. I was wondering why she was listed as knowing so many cleric spells.



    I was assuming her healing magic was based on clerical spells. Some of the later Dragonlance books establish that the Krynnish gods have to be relatively close to their clerics (probably at least within the same star system) to grant them clerical spells, so most Krynnish clerics probably wouldn't be able to access clerical magic on Earth. (Krynn not being within our star system.) However, since The Glyphstone pointed out that Silvara's healing magic is actually a sorcerer ability rather than clerical magic, I now agree it should work on Marvel Universe Earth.



    While Silvara would doubtlessly make an excellent teacher given how high her intelligence, wisdom, and charisma scores are, she would do a lot more good working in the medical field. Per her character write up in The War of the Lance game book, she can cast five 6th level spells per day. Thus she could cast Heal five times a day, and since Heal can cure diseases that's at least 5 people with terminal illnesses she could save every single day. She also knows Cure Critical Wounds and can cast it seven times per day, which would make her an incredible trauma doctor.

    And that's just her magical healing. Per her stat write up in the game book, her bonus on Heal skill checks is +24. That would make her functionally equivalent to a 14th level expert (Doctor) with maxed out Heal ability, a 20 Wisdom, and Skill Focus (Heal). Thus even when she has exhausted her magical healing for the day, she would still likely be one of the best doctors in New York City.

    Thus given that Silvara is both a very moral being and has a special ability that would let her save literally thousands of people every year that no one else could help, I think she would inevitably be drawn to work in the medical field. (And it's not like she couldn't find her knight working at a hospital either since there would be countless heroes amongst the paramedics, nurses, and doctors working there.)



    Fair enough.
    Silvara would have to go to medical school if she wants a job at a hospital. Also a hospital is a rather fixed location, superheroes travel around, her ability to heal people while in combat is what makes her useful when fighting bad guys, if they have to go to a hospital, its not as useful as when you can heal people on the spot with a magic spell. She would be more of a battlefield medic than a doctor, she would need to learn 21st century medicine, and how to operate the equipment and get a degree in medicine if she wants to be a doctor, and no doctor han heal people in the middle of combat so they can get right up and continue fighting as if they didn't get injured in the first place, that takes magic. All a doctor can do is stabilize a patient, get him to a hospital, then do surgery, and after a certain period of recovery the patient is discharged. Without magic healing takes time, with magic it takes 6 seconds, the character can get up and continue fighting.

  21. - Top - End - #51
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2007

    Default Re: A silver dragon from Krynn enters the Marvel Universe

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kalbfus View Post
    Silvara would have to go to medical school if she wants a job at a hospital. Also a hospital is a rather fixed location, superheroes travel around, her ability to heal people while in combat is what makes her useful when fighting bad guys, if they have to go to a hospital, its not as useful as when you can heal people on the spot with a magic spell. She would be more of a battlefield medic than a doctor, she would need to learn 21st century medicine, and how to operate the equipment and get a degree in medicine if she wants to be a doctor, and no doctor han heal people in the middle of combat so they can get right up and continue fighting as if they didn't get injured in the first place, that takes magic. All a doctor can do is stabilize a patient, get him to a hospital, then do surgery, and after a certain period of recovery the patient is discharged. Without magic healing takes time, with magic it takes 6 seconds, the character can get up and continue fighting.
    Weren't we talking about what Silvara would do as a day job? And all the objections you mentioned would apply with equal force to her working as a teacher. Teachers have to have a college degree and be accredited (with a lot of places expecting them to have at least a master's degree), and schools are certainly at a fixed location. Now admittedly the requirements to be a doctor take a lot longer to satisfy than those to be a teacher, but Silvara (assuming she can't figure out a way to simply fake having the necessary credentials) could get certified as an EMT or paramedic fairly quickly and that would still put her in position to save a lot of people every day. (Every day she could use her curative spells and natural healing skills to help people in the field, and then when she's back at the hospital simply slip into the Intensive Care Unit or Cancer Center, find the 5 most seriously ill people there and heal them.)

  22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    DrowGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: A silver dragon from Krynn enters the Marvel Universe

    Quote Originally Posted by bguy View Post
    Weren't we talking about what Silvara would do as a day job? And all the objections you mentioned would apply with equal force to her working as a teacher. Teachers have to have a college degree and be accredited (with a lot of places expecting them to have at least a master's degree), and schools are certainly at a fixed location. Now admittedly the requirements to be a doctor take a lot longer to satisfy than those to be a teacher, but Silvara (assuming she can't figure out a way to simply fake having the necessary credentials) could get certified as an EMT or paramedic fairly quickly and that would still put her in position to save a lot of people every day. (Every day she could use her curative spells and natural healing skills to help people in the field, and then when she's back at the hospital simply slip into the Intensive Care Unit or Cancer Center, find the 5 most seriously ill people there and heal them.)
    I'm sure Silvara would go to college to get a degree to become a teacher.

  23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Forum Explorer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A silver dragon from Krynn enters the Marvel Universe

    Why does Silvara need a knight anyways? She only ended up working with the heroes of the lance because they fell into her lap. She has almost no interactions with the knights in the books.


    Anyways, it may take her time too get set up in the normal world, but she's a dragon. She has centuries to spare.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

    I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

    Procrastination: MLP



    Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.



  24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: A silver dragon from Krynn enters the Marvel Universe

    Quote Originally Posted by bguy View Post
    Weren't we talking about what Silvara would do as a day job? And all the objections you mentioned would apply with equal force to her working as a teacher. Teachers have to have a college degree and be accredited (with a lot of places expecting them to have at least a master's degree), and schools are certainly at a fixed location. Now admittedly the requirements to be a doctor take a lot longer to satisfy than those to be a teacher, but Silvara (assuming she can't figure out a way to simply fake having the necessary credentials) could get certified as an EMT or paramedic fairly quickly and that would still put her in position to save a lot of people every day. (Every day she could use her curative spells and natural healing skills to help people in the field, and then when she's back at the hospital simply slip into the Intensive Care Unit or Cancer Center, find the 5 most seriously ill people there and heal them.)
    If she used cure spells in the hospital, that would blow her secret identity! I would say, she would have two humanoid forms, one would be Doctor Silvia Draconis, which would be her secret identity on Earth, and the other would be her elf form she took on Krynn, this is important if she wants to cast spells and fight in areas where her true dragon form would not fit. To use her breath weapon, and fly as a dragon, she needs to turn into one first. Yeah maybe being a doctor wouldn't be so bad, but I think she would work better at a clinic rather than a hospital, she would own the clinic, and have other doctors to cover for her when she needs to be elsewhere fighting bad guys. Since Silvara owns the clinic, she is her own boss, and the boss of other doctors also working at the same clinic, the clinic would have a number of specialties including pediatrics, gynocology, dentistry, sports medicine, dermitalogy, Silvara would finance this by selling some of her dragon horde and investing in the clinic, buying the latest equipment and so forth, for the hard cases, she uses magic, but in a descrete way.

    I'm not sure how many of the doctors working at her clinic know her secret. Maybe one or two stumble onto it by accident. If Silvara wants a partner, it will have to be a fairly special person. Underneath her clinic is a magical laboratory and study, as well as her lair, there is an old subway tunnel leading to the outside. For special patients, she may go to a hospital to do surgery, but otherwise her clinic has all the latest equipment, and can do almost anything a hospital could do. She accepts all forms of insurance including medicare and medicaid, if insurance doesn't cover something, she will do the procedure anyway, extending loan to the patient from her dragon horde, she sells a few coins and so forth. Most of they local coin dealers and jewelers are quite familiar with her.
    Last edited by Tom Kalbfus; 2019-09-14 at 07:05 PM.

  25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: A silver dragon from Krynn enters the Marvel Universe

    Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Why does Silvara need a knight anyways? She only ended up working with the heroes of the lance because they fell into her lap. She has almost no interactions with the knights in the books.


    Anyways, it may take her time too get set up in the normal world, but she's a dragon. She has centuries to spare.
    Maybe not a knight exactly, but perhaps a superhero. Silvara has some magical items in her horde, she has some armor that she enchanted to deflect bullets, it is just as good against bullets as it is against arrows and swords, she has some magic weapons, if she can find the right sort of human, she could make a superhero out of him with the right training and equipment..

    +5 plate mail armor (deflects bullets), +5 two-handed sword, +5 longbow, +5 ring of protection, ring of fire resistance. You can make a superhero with the right kinds of magic items from the DMs Guide.

  26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Forum Explorer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A silver dragon from Krynn enters the Marvel Universe

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kalbfus View Post
    Maybe not a knight exactly, but perhaps a superhero. Silvara has some magical items in her horde, she has some armor that she enchanted to deflect bullets, it is just as good against bullets as it is against arrows and swords, she has some magic weapons, if she can find the right sort of human, she could make a superhero out of him with the right training and equipment..

    +5 plate mail armor (deflects bullets), +5 two-handed sword, +5 longbow, +5 ring of protection, ring of fire resistance. You can make a superhero with the right kinds of magic items from the DMs Guide.
    I guess the question is why not use that stuff herself? Or just keep it. I mean, I suppose if she got involved in one of the nastier crisis the Earth-616 faces she might feel the need to empower someone else, but most of the time, why bother? There is no shortage of heroes, and Silvara would just be one among many. Adding another one by using her equipment might be useful, but not necessary.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

    I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

    Procrastination: MLP



    Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.



  27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    DrowGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: A silver dragon from Krynn enters the Marvel Universe

    I can see it in the comics now: The Adventures Of Silvara In The Marvel Universe #1.

  28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: A silver dragon from Krynn enters the Marvel Universe

    Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    I guess the question is why not use that stuff herself? Or just keep it. I mean, I suppose if she got involved in one of the nastier crisis the Earth-616 faces she might feel the need to empower someone else, but most of the time, why bother? There is no shortage of heroes, and Silvara would just be one among many. Adding another one by using her equipment might be useful, but not necessary.
    As a dragon or anything else, she only gets a certain number of attacks per round, and i remember watching a video on youtube about what sort of weapons a Centaur would use by Shad in Shadiversity, he mentioned that a centaur might use, one other thing he metioned is that a centaur might allow a human to ride on its back, that way the human can protect its flank by protecting himself while the centaur goes after some other target. Silvara is a dragonlance dragon, they are used to working and fighting with humans, the knights of Solomnia in particular.

    How would she do this? Her clinic specializes in sports medicine, and she sees a number of high school and college students, and works with a number of coaches on team sports. These are the sorts of people she may recruit as a knight, starting off as a squire of course. Dragons are very patient, she has lots of time and when she sees a student that she thinks might be a good fighter, if he looks talented enough, she could train him in the art of sword fighting, and she slips him a magic sword and some armor. She can't use that stuff when she is a dragon after all. After her squire hss a number of encounters, he can advance in level.

  29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: A silver dragon from Krynn enters the Marvel Universe

    Found her, Dragonlance Chronicals: Dragons of Winter night.
    Her real name is D'argent Cr 21, sge is a very old Silver dragon
    Str 33, Dex 10, Con 23, Int 24, Wis 25, Cha 24

    She is Huge, that means about from 16 to 32 feet long. This is on page 176 of Dragons of Winter Night 3rd edition.

  30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Forum Explorer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A silver dragon from Krynn enters the Marvel Universe

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kalbfus View Post
    As a dragon or anything else, she only gets a certain number of attacks per round, and i remember watching a video on youtube about what sort of weapons a Centaur would use by Shad in Shadiversity, he mentioned that a centaur might use, one other thing he metioned is that a centaur might allow a human to ride on its back, that way the human can protect its flank by protecting himself while the centaur goes after some other target. Silvara is a dragonlance dragon, they are used to working and fighting with humans, the knights of Solomnia in particular.

    How would she do this? Her clinic specializes in sports medicine, and she sees a number of high school and college students, and works with a number of coaches on team sports. These are the sorts of people she may recruit as a knight, starting off as a squire of course. Dragons are very patient, she has lots of time and when she sees a student that she thinks might be a good fighter, if he looks talented enough, she could train him in the art of sword fighting, and she slips him a magic sword and some armor. She can't use that stuff when she is a dragon after all. After her squire hss a number of encounters, he can advance in level.
    I suppose she is used to working with a partner of some kind or another. Though I feel it's more likely that she'll end up working with an already existing hero rather than recruiting a relatively normal person. Also I maintain that she's a natural fit for the X-Men.

    Also I don't think people from the Marvel Universe would level up.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

    I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

    Procrastination: MLP



    Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •