The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 99
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default KoboldEmperor's Alone Against the Flames IC

    For reference this is taken from Alone Against the Flames written by Mike Mason, Paul Fricker, and Gavin Inglis, thank you!

    Do You Hear the Call of Cthulhu?
    “The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.”
    —H. P. Lovecraft, The Call of Cthulhu

    Welcome to Call of Cthulhu, a Horror/Investigative roleplaying game of mystery wherein you, an ordinary person, shall encounter and confront the terrifying alien forces of the Cthulhu mythos. Now, to begin is quite simple, and this first introduction shall operate similar to a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure story (this is done in order to help with an easy transition between the investigation-heavy Call of Cthulhu, and most other RPGs). Nevertheless, it is time to begin... welcome, to Alone Against the Flames.

    ----
    Unknown New England Town, 2:44 PM, September 1st, 1921.

    The sun is high in the sky, a merciless ball of heat. You feel scorched by the time you reach the bus halt in front of Osborn’s Drug Store. It’s a relief to put down your heavy cases and take off your hat for a moment. You fan your face. It has been a long summer here, in your hometown, and yet a curiously empty one.
    You look across the street at the grubby butcher’s shop, the grocers with its faded awning, and the shabby tobacconist. Mistrustful faces glare at you as they pass, eyeing your clothes and luggage. It was your parents’ choice to live here, not yours. You were happy down south as a child, among Providence’s white-walled houses and leafy churchyards. Perhaps this new job in Arkham will supply the change you need.
    Yet everybody you know in the world lives here. You know nobody in Arkham, not one soul. You ask yourself one last
    time if you are doing the right thing.
    The answer is here. None of your supposed friends have come to see you off. You are alone. Whatever challenges lie in Arkham, it will be a new life, and a brave one.
    A small gray motor coach approaches and rattles to a stop. You put your hat back on and pick up your cases.

    Two young men with sullen expressions alight from the coach. One looks you up and down before heading away. The driver also steps down, glancing at you before crossing the road to visit the tobacconist. When he returns, he is rolling a cigarette between his yellowed fingers. He gives it a final twist and examines you as he reaches for his matchbox. He is a thin man in his fifties, dressed in a stained shirt with the bus company emblem. Yet his eyes are sharp in their dark sockets.
    Where to?

    You show him your ticket for Ossipee. From there you will connect to Rochester and Portsmouth, before the coastal line to Newburyport and, finally, Arkham. You should be able to afford a rail ticket for at least some of the way; otherwise this will be the first of many long bus trips.
    Mmm-hm.” The driver scratches the match and lights his cigarette. The end flares as he takes a draw. Then he exhales and gestures to the back of the coach. “Luggage rack’s up there.

    ----
    In Call of Cthulhu (somewhat like most other RPGs) there are eight characteristics Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Appearance, Size, Power, Education, and Intelligence
    • Strength: This is a measure of the physical prowess of your investigator
    • Dexterity: This is a measure of the agility and speed of your investigator
    • Constitution: This is a measure of the physical toughness and stamina of your investigator
    • Appearance: This is a measure of the physical appeal of your investigator
    • Size: This is a combined measure of your investigator's height and weight, also used in determining their force behind their attacks and health
    • Power: This is a measure of your investigator's mental stability, force of will, or spirit
    • Intelligence: This is a measure of the logic and cunning of your investigator
    • Education: This is a measure of your investigator's tutelage, be it from formal education or the "school of hard knocks"

    For the very early image you have of your character, please rank these characteristics in whatever order you choose. No need for anything other than this right now. Also, yes, I understand that this is not really your standard introduction to an In-Character Thread, but let's roll with it!

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: KoboldEmperor's Alone Against the Flames IC

    Settling in for the first of many rides, he thinks of what awaits him in Arkham. Confident his cunning will help him make a living isolated in a new city.

    1) Intelligence
    2) Dexterity
    3) Power
    4) Education
    5) Constituion
    6) Size
    7) Strength
    8) Appearance

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: KoboldEmperor's Alone Against the Flames IC

    The driver smokes and watches as you drag your cases to the back of the motor coach. The rack is set inconveniently high on the vehicle. You get a grip on the heavier case.

    The driver continues to enjoy his cigarette, watching with keen interest as you struggle with the cases. You grit your teeth and heave the second one into place. Perhaps the residents of Arkham will have better manners.

    The driver flicks his cigarette into the gutter and steps into the motor coach. Its engine coughs into life. You board, grateful that you will be the only passenger for the initial part of your trip at least. With mixed emotions, you watch from the window as the tired avenues of your old home slip behind you, receding into the distance. For a few minutes, you can still see the church spire over the brow of a low hill. Then the road dips and it, too, is gone.
    Arkham is your new home. You will travel there, and make a new start.
    ----

    Note that you have a sanity score that is based on your power, throughout the game this sanity score will most likely fluctuate wildly. In addition, you have a number of Magic Points also based on said power. This will deplete and over time eventually return back to its original score. However, in all likelihood, magic points shall rarely be used by an investigator early on in their career, but it is important to note that they do exist.
    ----

    The coach putters through the countryside. At first, the interior is stifling and your stomach lurches with every bend in the road. However, the driver opens his window, and by switching seats you find a spot where the breeze hits your face. You soon relax into the journey, observing the quaint little hamlets that the coach serves. A heavy-set woman boards at one settlement and gives you a polite nod. She gets off at the next one.
    ----

    You have a certain amount of hit points based on both your Constitution and Size. Your current may change, but it is unlikely to ever exceed its maximum.
    You also have something called a "Luck score." This is used to represent when circumstances external to your investigator are in question, and also when determining the fickle hand of fate. Please give me 3d6 to assist in generating your beginning luck.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: KoboldEmperor's Alone Against the Flames IC

    Enjoying the breeze and the brief moment of company, he stays silent, alone with his thoughts again as she leaves.

    (3d6)[3][1][5](9)

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: KoboldEmperor's Alone Against the Flames IC

    The road rises a little, passing cornfields and orchards. The leaves are turning and the trees are alive with glorious reds and golds. You have just begun to doze when the driver takes a tight bend at speed.
    ----

    Please now give me a Dexterity roll. What this means is that you'll be rolling a d100 and comparing it to your Dexterity. For now, I hold your stats (mwahahahah), but eventually, I'll hand the character over to you once I feel like you've got a good handle on the mechanics (presumably at the end of the adventure)! So, just give me the d100 roll.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: KoboldEmperor's Alone Against the Flames IC

    (1d100)[48]

    His stomach heaves at the sudden jolt, and wonders how long it would take just to walk to Arkham. He lets out a quiet curse.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: KoboldEmperor's Alone Against the Flames IC

    You rolled below your dexterity, which means that you have succeeded on your role. Interestingly, in Call of Cthulhu, your stats are what actually determine the difficulty of your attempt as opposed to a set DC like in D&D.
    ----

    A desperate yell awakens you. You feel yourself slide from the seat as the driver spins the wheel and the motor-coach plunges off the road. You grab hold of the seat in front, just in time to prevent a painful fall.

    Quote Originally Posted by KoboldEmperor View Post
    His stomach heaves at the sudden jolt, and wonders how long it would take just to walk to Arkham. He lets out a quiet curse.
    The coach stops with a thump.
    Now you see what has happened. A Fordson tractor has stopped in the road and your driver has had to swerve to avoid this steel obstacle. He leaps from his seat into the road, unleashing a string of curses at the farmer.
    You take a moment to catch your breath. Perhaps you should offer assistance? But the driver has already returned. He backs the coach up a little and threads it around the tractor, glaring at the farmer.

    You resume your journey. The driver takes the curves with more caution than before. He glances over his shoulder at you a couple of times.
    Sorry about before,” he says. “That fella was dumber than a hog. I’m Silas. What’s your name?



    The accident was at least as much Silas’s fault as the farmer’s. But it doesn’t seem shrewd to antagonize the man while he is driving you through the middle of nowhere.
    ----

    Make up a name for your character and tell it to me. You may also inform me of your age; for the purposes of this adventure your character should probably be aged between 23 and 36.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-09-11 at 08:15 PM.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: KoboldEmperor's Alone Against the Flames IC

    He clears his throat. "Malachi, Malachi Stroud." Looking nervously over his shoulder at the tractor in the distance. "Are all the locals this thick-headed around here?"

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: KoboldEmperor's Alone Against the Flames IC

    Also what's Malachi's age?

    Silas gives a short chuckle, but does not respond further. The coach turns onto a narrower road, which weaves uphill through woodland. Silas becomes chatty.
    Going to Arkham, eh? Can’t say I ever heard of the place. Went to Boston once. Didn’t like it. Too much hustle and bustle. You got family there? A special someone waiting?
    The afternoon is wearing on. You see no harm in confiding in Silas about your new life.
    A job, eh? What’s your line?
    ----

    Now it's time for your character to choose an occupation. In Call of Cthulhu an occupation provides you with several occupation skills. It's comparable to a class, but the main distinction is that it's not representative of all your characters abilities, and it does not really affect advancement.
    Some common occupations for investigators include:
    • Antiquarian
    • Doctor of Medicine
    • Journalist
    • Private Investigator
    • Professor
    • Something Else... (we can discuss)?

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: KoboldEmperor's Alone Against the Flames IC

    Let's say 23

    Malachi adjusts his collar and relaxes a bit.

    "Yeah, it's been difficult making a living as an Antiquarian back home, only so many times one can appraise a rusty plow or horseshoe before you want to move on." He smirks. "I imagine it would be like being a driver in a place with only one road."

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: KoboldEmperor's Alone Against the Flames IC

    You think back to the assistant’s position you were offered at Arkham Rare Books and Maps on the strength of a recommendation by a distant friend of the family. Thinking about the treasures that must pass through that shop returns some of the excitement you felt upon receiving the letter of appointment. You feel a tingle in your palms; you cannot wait to get started.
    Old things, and books eh?” Silas takes the conversation no further. You get the feeling he is not much of a reader. He doesn't even seem to get the joke...
    ----

    Does that work? If it doesn't feel free to note what, if anything, you'd like to change.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: KoboldEmperor's Alone Against the Flames IC

    Malachi takes the time to look at the forest and lose himself in his daydreams when Silas goes quiet. He hoped there would be wooded areas around Arkham to enjoy in his off time, maybe go camping.

    ------
    Sounds all good to me, no need to tweak anything.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: KoboldEmperor's Alone Against the Flames IC

    Silas does not say too much else (unless you count gruff noises as statements). You're utterly unsure of the most recent time when this driver of yours picked up a book for something other than a paperweight.
    ----

    Your occupational skills are: Appraise, History, Library Use, and Spot Hidden. You also gain the following choices:
    Which arts/crafts has Malachi used in his time as an Antiquarian?
    • Acting
    • Barber
    • Calligrophy
    • Carpenter
    • Cook
    • Dancer
    • Fine Art
    • Forgery
    • Writer
    • Morris Dancer
    • Opera Singer
    • Painter and Decorator
    • Photographer
    • Potter
    • Sculptor
    • Vacuum Tube Blower
    • Something else?

    Which non-English language has he picked up looking through old books (any non-English language)?
    Which conversational skill does he use most often selling his wares?
    • Charm - physical attraction, seduction, flattery, or simply warmth of personality.
    • Fast Talk - specifically limited to verbal trickery, deception, and misdirection, such as bamboozling a bouncer to let you inside a club, getting someone to sign a form they haven't read, making a policeman look the other way, and so on (normally related to not telling the truth).
    • Intimidate - browbeating or making verbal threats to get your way.
    • Persuade - convince a person of a particular idea, concept, or belief through reasoned argument, debate, and discussion (although this does not necessarily have to employ the truth).
    .

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: KoboldEmperor's Alone Against the Flames IC

    For a brief moment Malachi considers sketching Silas, but the bumpy road and grumpy demeanour of his driver changes his mind rather quickly.

    He instead pulls the original Spanish text of Don Quixote out of his satchel and reads for as long as his motion sickness allows.

    -------

    Let's say drawing (Fine Art I guess?), Spanish, and Persuade

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: KoboldEmperor's Alone Against the Flames IC

    You may now choose one skill from the following list that you would perceive to be related to Malachi's career as an antiquarian (maybe related towards whatever his specialty is?). I'll also provide a short sentence description or so for each.
    Spoiler: Skills (so many)
    Show
    • Accounting - understanding of accountancy procedures; reveals the financial functioning of a business or a person.
    • Anthropology - identify and understand an individual's or culture's way of life through observation
    • Appraise (you have this one) - estimate the value of a particular item, including the quality, material used, and workmanship.
    • Archeology - allows dating and identifying artifacts from past cultures as well as detecting fakes
    • Arts/Crafts (you have this one) - allows the creation, making, or repair of an item which could be artistic (painting, singing, etc...) or craft-related (woodworking, cookery, etc...). Each one requires its own choice.
    • Charm (you have this one) - physical attraction, seduction, flattery, or simply warmth of personality.
    • Climb - climb trees, walls, and other vertical surfaces with or without ropes or climbing gear.
    • Disguise (you have this one) - used whenever you wish to appear to be someone other than whom you are.
    • Dodge - allows one to instinctively evade blows, thrown missiles, and so forth.
    • Drive Auto - drive a car or light truck, make ordinary maneuvers, and cope with ordinary vehicle problems.
    • Electrical Repair - repair or reconfigure electrical equipment, such as auto ignitions, electric motors, fuse boxes, and burglar alarms.
    • Fast Talk - specifically limited to verbal trickery, deception, and misdirection, such as bamboozling a bouncer to let you inside a club, getting someone to sign a form they haven't read, making a policeman look the other way, and so on.
    • Fighting - one's skill in melee combat. There are also different specializations such as Sword, Axe, Spear, or Whip, which each require their own choice.
    • Firearms - covers all manner of firearms, as well as bows and crossbows. There are different specializations including Handguns, Rifles/Shotguns, Bows, and Crossbows
    • First Aid - emergency medical care, not for diseases (see Medicine).
    • History (you have this one) - recall a historical detail or event, the significance of a country, city, region, or person, as pertinent.
    • Intimidate - browbeating or making verbal threats to get your way.
    • Other Language (you have this one) - Knowledge (ability to understand, speak, read, and write) of a language that's not your own. Each language is its own choice.
    • Own Language - Knowledge of your own language (presumably English)
    • Law - represents the chance of knowing pertinent law, precedent, legal maneuvers, or court procedure.
    • Library Use (you have this one) - Find a piece of information, such as a certain book, newspaper, reference in a library, or a collection of documents (assuming there's information to be found).
    • Listen - interpret and understand sound, including overheard conversations, mutters behind a closed door, and whispered words in a cafe.
    • Locksmith - open car doors, hotwire autos, jimmy library windows, figure out Chinese puzzle boxes, and penetrate ordinary alarm systems.
    • Mechanical Repair - repair a broken machine or create a new one.
    • Medicine - diagnose and treat accidents, injuries, diseases, poisonings, etc...
    • Natural World - represents the traditional (unscientific) knowledge and personal observation of farmers, fishermen, inspired amateurs, and hobbyists.
    • Navigate - take the correct path to a destination, whether in a strange city or the wilderness.
    • Occult - recognize occult paraphernalia, words, and concepts, as well as folk traditions; can also identify grimoires of magic and occult codes.
    • Operate Heavy Machinery - required to drive and operate a train, steam engine, bulldozer, or other large-scale land machines.
    • Persuade - convince a person of a particular idea, concept, or belief through reasoned argument, debate, and discussion (although this does not necessarily have to employ the truth).
    • Pilot - allows the safe operation of a boat, aircraft, or dirigible. Each one is its own skill.
    • Psychoanalysis - refers to the range of emotional therapies.
    • Psychology - perception, common to all humans, to form an idea of another person's motives and character, and detect if a person is lying.
    • Ride - applies to saddle horses, donkeys, and mules, granting knowledge of basic care of the riding animal, riding gear, and how to handle the steed at a gallop or on difficult terrain.
    • Science - practical and theoretical ability with a science specialty gained from some degree of formalized education and training, although a well-read amateur scientist may also be a possibility. These specializations include: Astronomy, Biology, Botany, Chemistry, Cryptography, Geology, Pharmacy, Physics, Zoology, etc... Each one is its own skill.
    • Sleight of Hand - allows the visual covering-up, secreting, or masking of an object or objects, perhaps with debris, cloth, or other illusion-promoting materials.
    • Spot Hidden (you have this one) - find a secret door or compartment, notice a hidden intruder, see an inconspicuous clue, recognize a repainted automobile, become aware of ambushers, etc. - an important skill in the armory of an investigator.
    • Stealth - when attempting to avoid detection, moving quietly, and hiding without alerting those who might hear or see.
    • Survival - expertise required to survive in extreme conditions, such as in desert or arctic conditions, as well as on the sea or in wilderness terrain. Each environment is its own skill.
    • Swim - the ability to float and to move through water or other liquid in times of crisis or danger.
    • Throw - hit a target with an object.
    • Track - follow a person, vehicle, or animal over earth, and through plants.


    Oh boy, that was long. I listed all of them for later reference, as well as to let you know that as long as it makes sense, any of these can be involved in your occupation. So, with all that out of the way, choose one!

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: KoboldEmperor's Alone Against the Flames IC

    Malachi grits his teeth at a rattle from the luggae area as the driver hits a pothole. Worrying for his collection of indigenous arrowheads in the back. The only worthwhile artifacts he uncovered on his archaeological digs back home, they were quite precious to him.

    ------

    Going with Archaeology

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: KoboldEmperor's Alone Against the Flames IC

    You soon realize Silas hasn’t made a stop since the incident with the tractor. The motor coach winds its way uphill. However, your thoughts are interrupted as the road crests a ridge and you are treated to a magnificent view of the vista below.
    A creek snakes through the valley, breaking the rich autumn palette of the tree line. In the distance the White Mountains rise into hazy cloud. There is no settlement, not even a cabin, as far as the eye can see. Birds drift through the treetops, and you can just make out what might be two white-tailed deer lingering by the water.
    Perhaps you are making a mistake by moving to the city. Could you maybe survive on your own in this lush wilderness?
    ----

    I'm just going to note again that just because a skill is not from your occupation or personal interest, you can always attempt it. That's not to say that you'll have a large chance of success but there is almost always a chance. Now, speaking of personal interest skills, please choose four more skills that you did not choose from your occupation that are your personal interests.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: KoboldEmperor's Alone Against the Flames IC

    Malachi takes in the scenery and makes a vow to go buy some camping gear and spend some weekends back out here once he gets settled in. Maybe even a hunting trip.

    ---------
    Stealth
    Natural World
    Survival (Forest?)
    Firearms

    Note: planning on getting occult at some point and potentially specializing in it, but makes sense for that to wait until after his first few brushes with such things.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: KoboldEmperor's Alone Against the Flames IC

    Quote Originally Posted by KoboldEmperor View Post
    Malachi takes in the scenery and makes a vow to go buy some camping gear and spend some weekends back out here once he gets settled in. Maybe even a hunting trip.

    ---------
    Stealth
    Natural World
    Survival (Forest?)
    Firearms

    Note: planning on getting occult at some point and potentially specializing in it, but makes sense for that to wait until after his first few brushes with such things.
    Oh, so you don't really choose how you improve, it's not like D&D where you level-up, by succeeding on certain skill checks they become more powerful, so if you feel that's something you want about your character I'd pick it now. Also, what kind of Firearms, Rifles/Shotguns, Bows, or Crossbows?

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: KoboldEmperor's Alone Against the Flames IC

    Quote Originally Posted by zingbobco000 View Post
    Oh, so you don't really choose how you improve, it's not like D&D where you level-up, by succeeding on certain skill checks they become more powerful, so if you feel that's something you want about your character I'd pick it now. Also, what kind of Firearms, Rifles/Shotguns, Bows, or Crossbows?
    Oh cool, in that case let's swap firearms out for Occult and call it good. So:

    Stealth
    Natural World
    Survival (Forest)
    Occult

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: KoboldEmperor's Alone Against the Flames IC

    Now that you've chosen your occupation and your personal interest skills, please rank your occupational skills just like you did with your characteristics - from best to worst. For reference, your occupational skills are: Appraise, History, Library Use, Spot Hidden, Art/Craft (Fine Art), Other Language (Spanish), Persuade, and Archeology

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: KoboldEmperor's Alone Against the Flames IC

    1) Archaeology
    2) Spot Hidden
    3) History
    4) Library Use
    5) Spanish
    6) Fine Art
    7) Appraise
    8) Persuade

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: KoboldEmperor's Alone Against the Flames IC

    The motor coach rattles on through the hills and Silas lapses into silence. The sky darkens behind you, pinks tinting the clouds as the sun descends. Finally a welcome sight comes into view: a settlement on the crest of a hill. This doesn’t look like the pictures you’ve seen of Ossipee. But perhaps you can persuade Silas to stop while you stretch your legs.
    Minutes later, a harsh stuttering from the engine interrupts your reverie. Silas frowns and rattles the gear stick. The motor coach falters in its ascent. Silas utters a curse you don’t recognize and grinds his teeth, struggling at the wheel. You seem to inch up the hill until you reach the first buildings, low dwellings constructed from a rough red stone. Silas wrestles the coach into a small bay off the road. He scrambles from his seat and makes for the engine compartment.
    ----

    Now it is time to make our first skill check! However, I'm going to offer you the choice between two, but you could arguably think of doing something else and I'll rule what it would be for now. Do you think your character would go out and check on the car, if so, please give me a Drive Auto roll (a d100 which I will compare to your drive auto skill [you consider yourself an amateur in this field]), or would you like to guage Silas's reactions, if so, please give me a hard Psychology roll (a d100 which I will compare to half your Psychology skill [you consider yourself a neophyte in this field]). Either way, roll a d100 and tell me which one you'd rather compare it to.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: KoboldEmperor's Alone Against the Flames IC

    Malachi tries to gauge how Silas is feeling before doing anything too hasty, he has no desire to anger his driver.

    (1d100)[83] Psychology

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: KoboldEmperor's Alone Against the Flames IC

    Silas opens the engine compartment open and sticks his head inside. The hot metal pops and sizzles. He pokes at various components, then withdraws and wipes his brow, smearing it with dark grease. He looks over at you and shakes his head apologetically.
    I ain’t sure what’s wrong. Might be the oil pressure. Might be something knocked off kilter when we took that spill. Can’t do much until the engine cools neither. And with the light failing… I reckon we’ll be here through the night. I think I might have a place but for you...” He wipes his hands on a rag.
    The shadows from your surroundings are already long, and the air is chilly. You feel stiff from the journey and a night in the rickety coach sounds unappealing. Silas sees your dismay, and as you turn on the charm, as expected a look of sympathy falls upon his face.
    Hey, Malachi, right? Look, this here’s Emberhead. Miles from anyplace. I only come through twice a week. But the folks here are good people. May Ledbetter keeps a spare room. She’ll look after you. Up that alley, turn right, first house on the left.
    He scratches his cheek, looks again into the engine compartment, and spits on the ground, and then tries to give a bit of a smile.
    Meet me back here at eight in the morning and we’ll see how’s we stand.
    ----

    Now we're entering the more freeform part of the adventure. Nevertheless, given that this is still an introductory scenario. I'll be providing little prompts at the bottom of example things your character could attempt so that you can formulate a post in-line with general Call of Cthulhu ideas. In this instance, I have three optional possibilities (but obviously this is a roleplaying game so there's more too it than just these three options).
    1. Head out and look for this May Ledbetter's house
    2. Ask Silas where he's going to stay the night
    3. Challenge Silas about the breakdown
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-09-14 at 01:40 AM.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: KoboldEmperor's Alone Against the Flames IC

    Malachi gets out and streches his legs for a moment before setting off. Taking in the fresh night air. He turns to Silas before heading off.

    "Would you like me to see if she has another room available for you as well or do you have other plans?"

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: KoboldEmperor's Alone Against the Flames IC

    As you ask about Silas’ plans. He gives the engine a sour glance before answering.
    I’ve got acquaintances here in the village. Reckon one of ‘em owes me a favor. Enough for bed and breakfast, in any case.” He stares at his grubby hands. “Probably won’t stretch to a hot bath.
    You don’t seem to have a lot of options. You fetch your cases from the back of the motor coach. The last thing you need is for all your worldly possessions to disappear into some stranger’s hovel overnight.

    You drag your cases between the sullen buildings. You feel surprisingly weary, considering you have spent all day sitting down. Silas’ directions lead you to a modest dwelling with a slate roof. A nameplate reads LEDBETTER, and underneath, a sign in neat copperplate reads, LODGING ROOM. The lane around you is gloomy, but a lamp flickers in the window.
    A breeze chills your face. You’re not about to begin your new life by sleeping in the street. You rap on the weatherbeaten door.

    After a moment, you hear footsteps inside the house. A bolt is drawn back and the wooden door swings open. A figure with loose curls and a rough-looking housedress peers at you. Her gaze takes in your traveling suit and your cases. Her voice has a slight Irish lilt.
    Hello. Should I take it as you’re looking for a room for the night?
    You enquire as to her rates, suppressing a grimace. As far as you’ve seen, the village does not offer you many alternatives.
    Oh, you’ll find them very reasonable,” she says. “You look tired. I’m May. Come inside and we’ll talk over a cup of tea.
    The Ledbetter house feels cramped, with a low ceiling and simple fittings. But it is well kept and a cheerful fire crackles in the grate. The aroma of the tea is soothing and the cup warms your fingers.
    Have you come to Emberhead for the festival?” asks May.

    ----
    Again, just simple prompting, you do not have to follow these ideas at all.
    1. Do you want to explain what happened with Silas and his coach?
    2. Would you rather ask about what this festival is?

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: KoboldEmperor's Alone Against the Flames IC

    "Nice to meet you May, I'm Malachi." He extends his hand for a shake. "And I'm not here for the festival, I was heading to Ossipee with Silas but his automobile has broken down."

    He takes a sip of the tea. "What is this festival though? Seems my misfortune may be a stroke of luck in disguise."

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: KoboldEmperor's Alone Against the Flames IC

    Emberhead, 7:35 PM, September 1st, 1921



    As you mention Silas, May shakes her head and you glimpse a moment of deep-seated anger in her green eyes.
    He always drives too fast. Thinks the road is made for him and him alone. He hit a mare some years back, that was a terrible thing. You should have seen the state of the coach. You’d be surprised at the damage done.
    She sips her tea and gazes past you, into the corner of the room.
    With living here, though, we can’t afford to antagonize the man. He’s about the only link we have to the world at large. And he’s not a bad soul at heart. I suppose that going the same route for fifteen years makes a man careless. You have to forgive him.
    May goes silent for a long moment. Then her eyes flick back to you.
    I'm sure you didn’t come here to listen to me blather, and you must be hungry. I can rustle you up a bit of stew. How would that be?

    As you sip tea and eat a hearty stew in front of the fire, it crackles and you can't help but feel warmed to the bone, maybe it's because you've been in a motor coach all day, or maybe it's because of how poorly insulated this home is, but either way, the fire is truly soothing. As you soon ask about the festival, May continues. “Well now, I suppose the Festival is about the only reason folks come to Emberhead. I thought you had maybe come to study it or take photographs. Well, it’s not tomorrow night but the night after. I suppose it looks very strange to a passerby.
    May tops up your tea. The spout chinks against the cup.
    We’ve got the Beacon, you see. One night every year there’s a torch-lit procession and we light the Beacon on the cliffs. You’ve never seen the like of it. They say it keeps the spirit of the village alive for another year. It’s a celebration. A celebration...
    She trails off for a moment, and blinks.

    Emberhead, 8:33 PM, September 1st, 1921

    In the silence, you view it as the prime time to ask again about her rates, and May names a price so low you accept it without hesitation. The room is small but comfortable, and the stew dark and hearty. After dinner, you have a little while before your usual bedtime. What would you like to do?
    ----

    So, some provided ideas would include things like talking to May some more, investigating the town during the nighttime, or just heading off to bed, as it was a long day of travel.

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: KoboldEmperor's Alone Against the Flames IC

    Deciding to forgo his usual reading before bed, Malachi continues visiting with May.
    "What are the origins this festival? It sounds very interesting, like an old viking tradition almost."
    Last edited by KoboldEmperor; 2019-09-13 at 10:18 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •