New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: What class do you hate playing?

Quote Originally Posted by diplomancer View Post
    Hate is a strong word, but I don't think I would enjoy a full campaign playing as a Rogue or a Fighter.
    I'm curious if you would feel better playing an EK Fighter/ AT Rogue verses a non-magical version?
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Spoiler: 5e Subclass Contest Wins
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XIII-Rogue, Tavern Wench
    ● XV-Monk, Way of the Shrine Guardian
    ● XVI-Cleric, Madness Domain
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXI-Artificer, Battling Bowman
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

2. - Top - End - #62
    Halfling in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MrStabby View Post
    Of the others I dislike warlock due to too few spells. It is really boring when 80% of your turns in combat are you casting the same spell.
    Whenever I look at warlock I get the sense that it is conceptually a magical fighter. Not a lot of variety. It essentially serves the function of dishing out damage in a repetitive way, just magical instead of physical. If that's your thing, cool, but not for me. I play a spellcaster for the variety.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Shabbazar View Post
    Whenever I look at warlock I get the sense that it is conceptually a magical fighter. Not a lot of variety. It essentially serves the function of dishing out damage in a repetitive way, just magical instead of physical. If that's your thing, cool, but not for me. I play a spellcaster for the variety.
    Actually I think it is worse than that. At least with a fighter you are based round strength (possibly) and get to shove and grapple and get feat support to make you a bit special. Not that I find fighters great fun either.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MrStabby View Post
    Actually I think it is worse than that. At least with a fighter you are based round strength (possibly) and get to shove and grapple and get feat support to make you a bit special. Not that I find fighters great fun either.
    You can "shove" with Repelling Blast and "grapple" with Evan's Spiked Tentacles of Forced Intrusion.
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    GitP: The only place where D&D and Cantorian Set Theory combine. Also a place of madness, and small fairy cakes.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Quote Originally Posted by JellyPooga View Post
    Cleric.
    [snip]
    they're not a socialite, but they conceptually should be (in many cases) and have some tools in that direction...it's just...
    [snip]
    ...well, I can't really put my finger on it, but when I think "Cleric" (in D&D terms), what I'm thinking of is a Warrior Priest and the Paladin fills that role very nicely, thank you. If I think Priesty-Priest (i.e. a more spellcasty style god-botherer), then features like Medium/Heavy Armour Proficiency rear their ugly head and ruin the illusion, just as much as if a Wizard subclass offered the same; sure, some archetypes of Cleric (or Wizard) might involve that kind of martial training/ability, but it should very much be the exception, not the norm (IMO). I also understand that you don't have to use all the features you have, but it still rankles a little that there really isn't a "Priest" class that is a true divine counterpart to the Wizard, per se and that there never will be without treading heavily on the Clerics toes (I mean, a Divine Soul Sorcerer comes pretty close, I guess).
    Yeah, it really sounds like you want to play a divine soul sorcerer. No armor, high charisma for a socialite character, and you can steal whatever spells you want from cleric. Reflavor it as being "blessed by your god with power" (which is close to the original fluff anyway) and you should be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonSorcererX View Post
    In a world with grey morality you could say that your mission is "I will magically nuke every hobgoblin settlement." (Neutral Good)...

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by nickl_2000 View Post
    I'm curious if you would feel better playing an EK Fighter/ AT Rogue verses a non-magical version?
    Not really, I would still prefer both a Monk and a Barbarian (the other non-casters).

7. - Top - End - #67
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SpawnOfMorbo View Post
    Does your DM use cover correctly?

Allies and enemies count as cover, it's hard to just stand back and attack at range. If you ever wonder why Archery style gives a +2 to attack... Half Cover which can be a low wall, large piece of furniture, natrow tree trunk, or a creature (friend or foe). Half cover gives you +2 AC (and Dex saves).

I've found that ranged combat is so much better when people make you work for it.
    I hear you. As a DM, I always add terrain to make tactics and strategy more interesting for everyone including ranged attackers.

But for me, standing back and shooting doesn't have the excitement of the front lines. I just really the feeling of being in the mix and trading blows with terrifying monsters. IRL I'm a bit of an adrenalin junkie, so maybe it's the danger factor I dig.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Zombie

I wouldn't say hate, but I have a strong individualistic fantasy fulfillment in game that makes me chafe at the patronage aspects of cleric and warlock.
    I am the flush of excitement. The blush on the cheek. I am the Rouge!

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

While I haven't played in a long while, looking at my plans, the classes I have the least planned out for are Warlocks and Rangers. I can't say I HATE them, per se, just am least inclined to them.

Warlocks, while I like their different casting style from the other casters (it's clearly 5e's version of 4e's AEDU system,) something about them keeps me away. Is it their patrons, which are generally not decent beings at all? How front-loaded they are and how often they're attached to just about anything with a Charisma score? I dunno.

Rangers, I don't quite understand why I have so few plans of them. They're primarily martial, with some spell casting power, a lot of flavor and a wide variety of skill power. A nice mixture of things. There must be something stopping me from them.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by McSkrag View Post
    I hear you. As a DM, I always add terrain to make tactics and strategy more interesting for everyone including ranged attackers.

But for me, standing back and shooting doesn't have the excitement of the front lines. I just really the feeling of being in the mix and trading blows with terrifying monsters. IRL I'm a bit of an adrenalin junkie, so maybe it's the danger factor I dig.
    I feel the same way. Being a primarily ranged character is not very fun for me. When I was playing a half-orc Ancients Paladin, a fun adventuring day was when I used both the relentless endurance AND the Paladins 15th level ability that copies it.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Wizard. Don't hate them, and they're far from weak, but there's a lot of book keeping and my favorite spell school, necromancy, is frustratingly poorly served in 5th edition so far, with hardly any spells to choose from, most of which are bad. Yeah you can make a fun & functional wizard, even a necromancer, by casting mostly spells of other schools, but yeah, frustrating.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Firbolg in the Playground

Bard and (non-tempest) Cleric.

The former is so, so squishy and relies completely on gimmicks to do anything useful. The latter just has a super restrictive spell list. No ranged BFC. No ranged damage. Just get your butt into melee and Spirit Guardians, then make one big auto attack. I just can't get into it.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

I am shocked at how few people are saying Ranger here. Considering how looked down upon it is on this board it is showing up rarely.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Spoiler: 5e Subclass Contest Wins
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XIII-Rogue, Tavern Wench
    ● XV-Monk, Way of the Shrine Guardian
    ● XVI-Cleric, Madness Domain
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXI-Artificer, Battling Bowman
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

14. - Top - End - #74
    Firbolg in the Playground

I am shocked at how few people are saying Ranger here. Considering how looked down upon it is on this board it is showing up rarely.
    Ranger is concerned a weaker class but the idea of ranger is popular enough to keep them popping up at most tables.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by stoutstien View Post
    Ranger is concerned a weaker class but the idea of ranger is popular enough to keep them popping up at most tables.
    I think a lot if the mixed reviews on ranger are based on it having gone from a high damage striker in 4e to the party survival expert in 5e.
    I am the flush of excitement. The blush on the cheek. I am the Rouge!

16. - Top - End - #76
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

I'm going to divide all the classes into three tiers:

1. Classes I actively want to play, iow, my first picks, my favs.
    - Sorcerer
    - Druid
    - Bard
    - Monk
    - Artificer
    - Psion (obviously, there are no official Psionic rules yet. And the Mystic was merely okay, but not great. But I've always liked Psionics conceptually, so I'm eager for the next iteration)

2. Classes I like playing, but generally want a cool concept to go with it to take it over the first tier.
    - Wizard (The one 5e Wizard I played was in a campaign setting that feared and suppressed magic, so I took this class because it'd be harder to play than if I'd gone Sorcerer)
    - Paladin
    - Rogue
    - Warlock

3. Classes that I'm meh about and not overly interested in playing.
    - Fighter
    - Cleric
    - Ranger
    - Barbarian

I'll confess, I like shiny things, so a new class that intrigues me would almost certainly jump right into first tier.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Barbarian in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Ranger. Yay, I get to be a fighter that concentrates on hunter's mark a lot and has only a few spells that are even worth picking up. I'm fine with the theme, but it's just not flexible enough.

Druid. This is one where the theme doesn't quite work for me. While turning into an animal out of combat to solve small issues sounds really cool, I don't like summoning animals/minions/anything in combat, lots of hassle, and beyond that if I wanted to control the battlefield I like the wizard spells a little more for that.
    Last edited by Frozenstep; 2019-09-13 at 02:06 PM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Dwarf in the Playground

I like them all, but I'd say Druid is my least favorite. The fantasy of the class just appeals to me less than the other classes.

I think my favorites are Bard and Rogue, because they have applicable skills for every situation, and lots of options in combat.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Dwarf in the Playground

The theme of the ranger and the fluff mechanics of the class are pretty poor, but it's generally reasonably strong from a damage dealing perspective. Not as strong as an equivalent fighter, but not completely weak either, and has a few more tools. Honestly I think I'd rather play a ranger than a monk.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Dwarf in the Playground

AT Rogues are probably too powerful, especially with a level or two dip in Hexblade. I've done 120 damage in a single round with an AT/Hexblade, and it was something I could have done reasonably consistently if the boss we were fighting (ancient red dragon) hadn't CC'd the hell out of the rogue with lair actions and fear. And on top of that, you have so damn much utility out of combat with all the skills and expertise you get.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I wouldn't say I actively hate to play any class, just there are certain classes that are more challenging to come up with a fun character idea for.

It's funny because my favorite class is sorcerer and I think of new character ideas for it every time I look at their subclasses. Wizard however, I've had one maybe two ideas for? Same with druid.
    Last edited by Skyblaze; 2019-09-13 at 03:19 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

Druid. Their generic flavor doesn't appeal to me all that much, and any other concept I have for them are better suited to clerics or wizards. I don't hate them or anything, but I'd have to be forced to play it.

After that, monks and warlocks are up there. I'll play either on rare occasion, but they don't hit those epic high fantasy hero notes I prefer.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

After I introduced my wife to Fantasy she became an avid Shannara fan. She wanted to play Druid like in that series but felt it was made Difficult by how the PHB addressed the class.

Between the number limits of Shape change into animals, the Murder Hoboes of early seasons, etc., she stopped playing and has not returned.
    With one exception, I play AL games only nowdays.

I am the eternal Iconoclast.

Mountain Dwarfs Rock!

Song of Gorm Gulthyn
    Blessed be the HAMMER my strength which teaches my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.

Otto von Bismarck Quotes

When you want to fool the world, tell the truth.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Out of all the classes, I find Warlock and Barbarian to be the most boring. All the Barbarian does/can do is Rage and hit things. There's nothing interesting about that at all. Meanwhile the Warlock lacks the resources to do anything outside of Hex and Eldritch Blast.
    Never let the fluff of a class define the personality of a character. Let Clerics be Atheist, let Barbarians be cowardly or calm, let Druids hate nature, and let Wizards know nothing about the arcane

Fun Fact: A monk in armor loses Martial Arts, Unarmored Defense, and Unarmored Movement, but keep all of their other abilities, including subclass features, and Stunning Strike works with melee weapon attacks. Make a Monk in Fullplate with a Greatsword >=D

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by ZorroGames View Post
    After I introduced my wife to Fantasy she became an avid Shannara fan. She wanted to play Druid like in that series but felt it was made Difficult by how the PHB addressed the class.

Between the number limits of Shape change into animals, the Murder Hoboes of early seasons, etc., she stopped playing and has not returned.
    To be fair, Alannon (or whatever he was called) wasn't exactly a Druid in the D&D sense...like, at all. Practically any other spellslinger fits his character/abilities better. Just because D&D has the same name for something as someone else, doesn't mean the concepts involved are necessarily, in any way, associated.

Quote Originally Posted by sithlordnergal View Post
    Out of all the classes, I find Warlock and Barbarian to be the most boring. All the Barbarian does/can do is Rage and hit things.
    I dunno; it depends on if you want to use all their abilities or not. I mean, every Totem Barbarian can talk to animals, some can leap mighty distances, others can see for miles with perfect clarity, others still have a much broader skill base than even so-called "smart" classes like Wizards. If you want to boil it down to such simple terms, then every Class becomes an exercise in banality and uninteresting rinse&repeat activities.
    Last edited by JellyPooga; 2019-09-13 at 04:37 PM.
    I apologise if I come across daft. I'm a bit like that. I also like a good argument, so please don't take offence if I'm somewhat...forthright.

Please be aware; when it comes to 5ed D&D, I own Core (1st printing) and SCAG only. All my opinions and rulings are based solely on those, unless otherwise stated. I reserve the right of ignorance of errata or any other source.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JellyPooga View Post
    To be fair, Alannon (or whatever he was called) wasn't exactly a Druid in the D&D sense...like, at all. Practically any other spellslinger fits his character/abilities better. Just because D&D has the same name for something as someone else, doesn't mean the concepts involved are necessarily, in any way, associated.
    yeah, Allanon (at least from the TV-series) is more like an Eldritch Knight. Swinging that sword of his like a boss, and barely casting any spells.

Not sure about the book series though, but as I've understood, the TV-show version is leagues different from the book version.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    yeah, Allanon (at least from the TV-series) is more like an Eldritch Knight. Swinging that sword of his like a boss, and barely casting any spells.

Not sure about the book series though, but as I've understood, the TV-show version is leagues different from the book version.
    It's been a while since I read them (like, decades), but as I recall, he was more of a loremaster than a warrior, with a focus on what d&d would probably dub necromancy of one design or another. Pretty sure he was not a shapeshifting nature-boi.
    I apologise if I come across daft. I'm a bit like that. I also like a good argument, so please don't take offence if I'm somewhat...forthright.

Please be aware; when it comes to 5ed D&D, I own Core (1st printing) and SCAG only. All my opinions and rulings are based solely on those, unless otherwise stated. I reserve the right of ignorance of errata or any other source.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Bugbear in the Playground

Goblin

Druid. I hate how its been based around Shapeshifting as its "Thing". I hate Shapeshifting. Their spell list is also lacking to me. Its all over the place. Love the flavor. I really really want to play a Druid. I have wanted to play one for a long time. Spores is finally opening up something to put in place of Shapeshifting but its poison damage.. which is kinda wack.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

For all the people saying Druid... Did any of you play the 4e druid? For me it really felt like a nature wizard in 4e and I loved it.

Druid in 5e is mostly meh to me and I feel they took the wrong step backwards. I don't hate the 5e druid... I just don't feel much for it at all.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Glorthindel View Post
    Clerics.

Its nothing to do with their role in the party, in fact, right now I am playing a Valor Bard who is the parties primary healer, support caster, and back-up tank, so basically a Cleric's role in all but name. For me it is the roleplay aspect - I have never been comfortable with the attitude and obligations of the Clerics role. And its not like I have any personal religious stance that chafes with the Clerics default attitude (I am sort of christian agnostic myself), but I just cant find away to balance the seeming Cleric "duties" of converting and proselytizing with my own preferred playing style.

And this isn't just standard-D&D-style Clerics, I have tried a religious character in other systems (tried a preacher in a Deadlands campaign) and it fell flat too.
    Funny, I never play Clerics because I feel like I would make other people uncomfortable if I made someone actually dedicated to their deity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand