The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

Default [OoC] In the City of Seven Seraphs...

Alright! Welcome to the game. Please post the link to your character sheet and a note describing tricks your character would divulge to a small group of people they just met and are going on an adventure with.

This first adventure has you all answering a call for aid from a mutual friend that makes a small tip off the treasures you find. The guy's a local Baron whose ring was stolen by a magician that immediately went through a portal to another land.
    Turns out, he knows exactly where the thief has ended up hiding.

Baron Nebrayr (Baron to friends, as he refuses to disclose his first name) is a half-orc illusionist who is fairly well-known in the City for his friendly, witty schemes; he is not associated with any of the factions directly, but he trades favors for favors and has a way of knowing who wants what.
    Like I said, though: he is a friend of yours, and a good one, so he has provided for you when you were adjusting to the City and expects you to do what you can to help him in emergencies like this one.
    He has gathered you all and introduced you formally, but he wants you to introduce yourselves to each other on your way to get his ring. In exchange for the ring, he will give each of you a (magically notorized) letter of recommendation allowing you to freely use the portals of the City in his name.

The reason his ring is so important is that he uses it to track the health status of his sick wife while he takes care of his usual duties. Until he gets his ring back, he will be unable to do his job right because he refuses to leave her bedside. The magician works for a deranged dragon who worships plague -- the same creature who cursed his wife with a multidimensional cancer when the Baron and his wife adventured together years before.
    For those who are less rough'n'tumble and more regal, you actually have met his wife. She is a tiefling named Lira. You would know that her heritage makes her especially vulnerable to the curse.

You are meeting informally for the first time at the door to the Baron's own multidimensional dungeon. Yes, he knows this is a very ironic location for the thief to hide. It's also a place full of monsters. It isn't really his dungeon, but other than its native monsters, the place is home to people he has had to banish throughout his career as a wizard.

IC thread link
    Last edited by MinotaurWarblad; 2019-09-12 at 07:33 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [OoC] In the City of Seven Seraphs...

Kiresh Stormson Roshawk freely shares that he's pretty resistant to the elements, uses lightning a LOT and fire as a side dish, and has short-range telepathy. When he busts out the hellhound you probably don't want to be near enemies. But there's really little else about the build that interacts with allies. I'll use teal text for IC speech.

Quote Originally Posted by MinotaurWarblad View Post
    It isn't really his dungeon, but other than its native monsters, the place is home to people he has had to banish throughout his career as a wizard.
    In that case, can the Baron tell us anything about the place that might prove useful?
    Last edited by Dimers; 2019-09-12 at 07:34 PM.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

3. - Top - End - #3

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    In that case, can the Baron tell us anything about the place that might prove useful?
    He hasn't been down there in years, and time flows much faster there than in the City; a day in the City could be three, four, or five in the dungeon, depending on the City's location in the astral plane during that time.
    He says his best advice is to be wary if you catch any illusions. If you catch one, you are probably enthralled by a dozen.
    Last edited by MinotaurWarblad; 2019-09-12 at 08:31 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Corona Sugarfloss, Pixie Wizard/Swordmage.

Coroona is an aegis of assault swordmage. She can mark 2 guys at once which is pretty neat, and has a -3 marking penalty. She can also buff her defenses by hiding in your squares. With her actions, she does some trolly powers from her wizard side.
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2019-09-12 at 09:18 PM.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

A more specific question about the dungeon -- would size-Large mounts be a bad idea in there, as normal for dungeons? I ask because flying is awfully handy at times.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

MonkGuy

Briespen Wildleaf introduces herself. She prefers to fight in the form of a large black panther, and she excels at bring her enemies to the ground and keeping them there. She also likes to jump directly into the fray. Briespen will speak in Green
    Master Rahl guide us. Master Rahl teach us. Master Rahl protect us. In your light we thrive. In your mercy we are sheltered. In your wisdom we are humbled. We live to serve. Our lives are yours.

Awesome Richard avatar by kpenguin!

7. - Top - End - #7

Chimera

A more specific question about the dungeon -- would size-Large mounts be a bad idea in there, as normal for dungeons? I ask because flying is awfully handy at times.
    This particular dungeon is not too mount-friendly, or flight-friendly (even for Medium flyers). However, expect all dungeons after this one to have room for your mounts to maneuver.
    If you even go to other dungeons. Most locales will be open spaces with cool decorations and terrain features.

Side note: The door to the dungeon is locked with a ritual, and while you can easily banish yourself into the dungeon by opening it from this side, you can only be brought out by Baron Nebrayr using a ritual focused on the wearer of the ring, who has to hold hands with everyone else in a circle (unless you're willing to dissolve the lock and thrust a multidimensional space into a single dimension, causing a lot of problems when conflicting time and gravity properties in an overlapping area make things go boom).
    But this is why he has asked you guys. If this guy gets away with selling this ring to a devil or destroying it completely, the Baron is in trouble. You are the only ones he trusts to get this ring back before something like that happens, or worse: someone poisoning the Baroness further through the ring's enchantment.
    Last edited by MinotaurWarblad; 2019-09-12 at 10:47 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

That's some hefty motivation!

9. - Top - End - #9

Chimera

That's some hefty motivation!
    Heftier motivation: I, as GM, really like Baron Nebrayr. He's one of my favorite characters.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

That would explain why he was so vividly described. Nice work.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

I'll post my stuff in a bit here. Late night last night and early morning at work.
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Jin the Artificer|Warlord reporting in. She will be speaking in red.

She appears to be a tanned human, confidently wielding a magic longsword one-handed with a parrying dagger in her offhand. Jin can provide fellow adventurers extra opportunities to strike in combat while magically aiding them in combat.

(Allies who start combat within 10 squares/50 feet of Jin also get a +6 to initiative).
    Last edited by Just Helping; 2019-09-13 at 11:25 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Here is Chereth we'll speek in Purple

Should I assume that everyone in the party could have been considered to be available for an extended rest? Or should I wait till next time to gain an encounter power and skill?
    Last edited by Triskavanski; 2019-09-14 at 10:48 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14

Chimera

I'm going to say wait on it until next time. It seems like a good opportunity for roleplay.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

For this adventure, I will require a marching order. Tell me who stands where.
    I don't mind taking the back. I have plentiful hit points to soak an ambush, and I can teleport to the 'front lines' pretty easily. Or charge. Charging is good. (I do remember that charging will tend to attract attention, but since the build is best when surrounded and includes a minor-action heal, that's not a bad thing.)

On the topic of tactics, I should mention that I don't have much in the way of ranged attacks. My RBA is so inconsequential, I didn't even bother bringing a javelin. The greatbow is mostly for show.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

MonkGuy

I completely missed buying food and adventuring gear. Do I need to take care of that or are we going to handwave things like rations?
    Master Rahl guide us. Master Rahl teach us. Master Rahl protect us. In your light we thrive. In your mercy we are sheltered. In your wisdom we are humbled. We live to serve. Our lives are yours.

17. - Top - End - #17

Chimera

As long as you are within the City (including this first adventure), you have no need to eat, drink, or sleep. Or eliminate waste, for that matter. You can still do so if you choose, and you still have to remain relatively sedentary to take rests, and you will have to be prepared when exiting the City for later adventures.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

I didn't know there was a pool of dosh for other things

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

I just like to overprepare sometimes.

20. - Top - End - #20

Chimera

There isn't money for those other items in the form of actual currency.
    However, it is assumed that after 1st level, anything labelled as "adventuring gear" or explicitly "mundane" has no cost for adventurers because they'll have a lot of pocket change, allied NPCs, and other resources. This doesn't apply to Alchemical items, nor of course to wondrous items; both of these categories are explicitly magical.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Hah, stealth. I suppose that's technically possible. (d20+4)[10]

How do you handle checks to ID monsters? Not all DMs want players to roll for knowledge themselves, and often the players don't know which skill to roll anyway (like for e.g. a half-kobold half-repti-lion two-thirds-snake one-eighth fish).

22. - Top - End - #22

Chimera

Lol I just say roll your best one, unless your second-best is closer than 5 to it.
    If you have arcana +8 and religion +10 to identify a dragon, arcana is better. Same bonuses to ID an obviously undead monster? Go with religion.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

my Dear God What Is That Thing check, then: (d20+23)[33]

24. - Top - End - #24

Chimera

Just to clarify: is that a monster knowledge check or a check to identify the zone you're in? Also, what skill is it?

Regarding stealth: we have three successes and one failure so far. One more success means you all can choose to resolve this with a skill challenge instead of a fight.
    Last edited by MinotaurWarblad; 2019-09-17 at 02:40 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Just to clarify: is that a monster knowledge check or a check to identify the zone you're in? Also, what skill is it?
    Monster knowledge, with Arcana.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

(1d20+14)[29] We're going to have to try this here instead for the stealth checks.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

MonkGuy

Nature - (1d20+23)[34] Here's a Nature check in case it applies to monster knowledge.

28. - Top - End - #28

Chimera

Fantastic, we have successes everywhere.
    Alright everybody:
    You get surprise and can deal with these guys by sneaking around behind the backs of the holes. You can choose to use bluff to get a bonus to stealth for a diversion, or you can choose not to sneak and just intimidate them. Alternatively, you could just fight them with surprise.
    Your Arcana and Nature checks reveals that all three of these monsters are dragonspawn. The black and white ones were hatched from eggs magically cursed by a chromatic dragon. The green one was, too, but was also shaped with magic to become a dragonspawn abomination. The two small sized critters are elite soldiers and the medium one is a standard brute. They are resistant to the damage types indicated by their chromatic scales (acid for black, poison for green, cold for white).

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Oh there is three of them. I missed on last night

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

I see. I feel like if we go around them we're just asking them to show up later. Maybe if we can take some of them out and force oen ot surrender we can get some information.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.