The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Fun Little Half-Elf Fact

Appearently Half-Elves had this trait in AD&D 1e

1 in 6 chance to detect a concealed door when passing by
    2 in 6 chance to detect a secret door when actively searching
    3 in 6 chance to detect a concealed door when actively searching
    and this in AD&D 2e

Merely passing within 10 feet of a concealed door (one hidden by obstructing curtains. etc.) gives the half-elven character a one-in-six chance (roll a 1 on Id6) of spotting it.
    If the character is actively seeking to discover hidden doors, he has a one-in-three chance (roll a 1 or 2 on Id6) of spotting a secret door (one constructed to be undetectable) and a one-in-two chance (roll a 1, 2, or 3 on 1d6) of locating a concealed door.
    as a fun little exercise I was wondering how to port this while still making it sound 5e and came up with this:

When you make a Wisdom (Perception) check as a part of the Search action treat rolls of 18-19 as if you had rolled a 20.
    Which in turn had me think of things like

Jack of all Trades
    When you roll a d20 for an ability check, treat all rolls of 1-4 as having rolled a 5.
    Last edited by Bjarkmundur; 2019-09-12 at 06:09 PM.

Spoiler: How to Make Custom Monsters
    Show

The damage column shows total damage output on hit over an entire round, and is modified based on factors like recharge, AoE etc.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Re: Fun Little Half-Elf Fact

It has been a while since I cracked open those books, but I believe full elves had the same ability, or maybe a slightly better version. As they are in storage right now, I am not going to double check that. I do remember the ability getting a call out in one of the novels, Elfblade I think. The first one of the Harper series that had the half-elf with a Moonblade, that book is also in storage.
    Spoiler
    Show

Warforged Upgrades
    Blade Lord Vestige
    Soulforged PrC
    Transformers RPG Now Updated as PDFs on Google Drive.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Fun Little Half-Elf Fact

Quote Originally Posted by lightningcat View Post
    It has been a while since I cracked open those books, but I believe full elves had the same ability, or maybe a slightly better version. As they are in storage right now, I am not going to double check that. I do remember the ability getting a call out in one of the novels, Elfblade I think. The first one of the Harper series that had the half-elf with a Moonblade, that book is also in storage.
    Maybe I'll take a crack at porting those too. Porting really gives you great understanding of 5e overall design aesthetic.

Spoiler: How to Make Custom Monsters
    Show

The damage column shows total damage output on hit over an entire round, and is modified based on factors like recharge, AoE etc.