The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

Default [IC] In the City of Seven Seraphs...

There is a barred and locked door in a tiny alley on the east side of the courtyard behind the mansion, within the confines of the forcefield protecting the estate's perimeter. The forcefield is an opaque orange color from the outside, but on the inside it appears as a transparent, blue-tinted filter.
    Standing by the door are a crew of adventurers preparing to enter the dungeon. One is a pixie wearing a dress and a rapier. Another is an elf with a hefty spear. A storm genasi with a staff catches the eye of what looks like a humanoid cheshire cat in light armor.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Re: [IC] In the City of Seven Seraphs...

The elf twitches her ears and sniffs at the air, seeming to sense something odd beyond what she can see. She says, "Well, are we waiting for anybody else? I'd like to get the Baron his ring back swiftly."
    Master Rahl guide us. Master Rahl teach us. Master Rahl protect us. In your light we thrive. In your mercy we are sheltered. In your wisdom we are humbled. We live to serve. Our lives are yours.

Awesome Richard avatar by kpenguin!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Corona Sugarfloss, Fancy Swordmage

The pixie smiles pleasantly as serenely at the party, and does a curtsy withe her beautifully jeweled black and white dress. A top her long, silvery hair is a beautiful silver and blue satin crown, which contrasts with her red eyes.

"Greetings, I am Corona Sugarfloss," she says. She eagerly awaits introductions from the others, rather than answering the question.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

"Baron's expecting one more," the genasi says. A mild, turbulent wind ruffles hair and clothing nearby as he speaks. It's not hard to guess his manifestation. "That's probably her, coming up the alley. Lady moves like an adventurer. Salutations, Corona. Is 'Corona' okay? I'm Kiresh."
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

On cue, Jin casually walks from the alley up to the others. She has the appearance of a human native of this city, with tanned skin and slightly unkempt hair. A longsword and some kind of dagger are at her sides.

"Sorry I'm late. This town is..." She shakes her head. "I'm Jin, nice to meet you all."
    Last edited by Just Helping; 2019-09-14 at 01:24 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

The cat looks out over the last one, "You know, I think I should have done that. Much more... Mysterious." he muses. "I am Chereth."
    Last edited by Triskavanski; 2019-09-14 at 10:35 AM.
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Corona sniffs. "Ms. or Lady Sugarfloss will suffice, Mr. Kiresh," Corona says, with a smile. "It's a pleasure to meet you, as well as Ms. Jin and Mr. Chereth. Now then, shall we address entering the dungeon. I also wish for Baron Nebrayr's ring to return to him swiftly."
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.

8. - Top - End - #8

Chimera

You all were given a modicum of knowledge regarding each others' capabilities, but the nitty gritty details weren't spelled out. At this time, one of you please appoint yourself or someone else as lookout, to be walking in front. If it is not you, they can argue and give us a bit of fun pre-adventure drama.
    For this adventure, I will require a marching order. Tell me who stands where. I'll provide maps once I get WiFi and can download the application to craft them (which should be fairly soon, give it a day or two).

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

MonkGuy

The impatient elf shakes her head and says, "Where are my manners? I am Briespen Wildleaf, of the Iron Wolf tribe. It is a pleasure to meet you all. I could scout for us, not much escapes my notice and I can be stealthy when transformed."
    Master Rahl guide us. Master Rahl teach us. Master Rahl protect us. In your light we thrive. In your mercy we are sheltered. In your wisdom we are humbled. We live to serve. Our lives are yours.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

"Ah well.. for that position.. perhaps.." Chereth says, walking Corona and suddenly from behind the impatient elf. "We can go together?" darkness clings to him like mist over a lake.

11. - Top - End - #11

Chimera

Those of you with a mind for exploring would know that the more scouts, the better for information gathering. Also that with more scouts, you have to take extra care to avoid collecting more enemies at a time than you can handle.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Jin looks between the shapeshifting elf, the shadowy man, and the flitting pixie... and then to herself and the armored man whose race she did not recognize. "Between all of us, I'm probably not the best suited for sneakin' around."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

MonkGuy

Briespen grins and says, "I'd love for you to teach me that. I like that idea of scouting together."

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Just Helping View Post
    Jin looks between the shapeshifting elf, the shadowy man, and the flitting pixie... and then to herself and the armored man whose race she did not recognize. "Between all of us, I'm probably not the best suited for sneakin' around."
    Kiresh grins. "No, not me either. Crackling lightning and booming thunder aren't real good for going unnoticed. Hey, Briespen -- I feel like I've heard of Iron Wolf somewhere. Bone-chilling howl, right?"
    Last edited by Dimers; 2019-09-15 at 02:05 PM.

Current games list

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

"I supposed I could assist in the scouting. While I consider skullduggery beneath me, I am quite small, and hard to notice," Corona admits. "Of course, if someone else would rather do it, I would not protest."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

MonkGuy

Briespen turns to Kiresh and says, "Yes, I believe you have heard correctly. Perhaps you'll get to hear that same howl soon."

To Corona she says, "No need to do anything you don't want to, I think we'll be fine with me and Chereth. Shall we?"

17. - Top - End - #17

Kiresh clears the way and nods. "After you, then ..." He double-checks the grip of a small pack around his waist.

Spoiler: stuff I'm carrying
    Show
    There's a fair bit I'm not going to haul around in here. Besides the magic items, I'm taking these:
    • everything in the food&water line
    • 1 everburning torch, 3 sunrods
    • rope
    • horn
    • vial bandolier with owlbear musk
    • 5 uses of you-know-what-atrice venom

And leaving the backpack, shovel, fire stuff, clothing, one evertorch, rainsticks, flowers, icechest, bow&arrows and the other half of the c'trice venom.

Current games list

18. - Top - End - #18

Chimera

The items you stowed away are safely locked in the Baron's private quarters until you return. You each have a key to your own chest containing those items.
    The door closes immediately behind whomever enters first, and then that person feels the sensation of falling before coming to. They are on hands and knees on a cold stone floor.
    Everyone else perceives the person opening the door to a silent cascade of swirling colors, popping like soundless freworks. As the person steps forward into the portal, they disappear and the door slowly swings shut.
    Everyone that enters feels the same sensation and becomes aware of being on their hands and knees in the same way, even the pixie. You all collect your senses in spaces equidistant to one another.
    Each of the bricks under your feet seems sized for a giant, like the builders simply sanded the ends and edges smoothed and cemented them together to serve as a dull, durable flooring. The walls are made of the same material, and the room you are in is about twenty feet on a side. A single wooden door on one side of the room is labelled with large scratches as if scrawled with a sword: "East".

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

MonkGuy

Briespen shakes her head to clear it. She looks around and says, "That was... disturbing. If you are all recovered, let's move."

She then crouches down and swiftly her clothing and gear change into black fur, covering a now thickly muscled, sleek looking black panther. The panther looks at Chereth and nods.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Using Wild Shape, gain +4 Init and +5 to Stealth from Stalking Panther Form.
    Once we move on, Briespen will move stealthily and make active perception checks periodically.
    Stealth - (1d20+15)[25]
    Perception - (1d20+20)[39]

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

"Lets, shall" The catman says, starting to move into maze with the others. "Well.. This is unusual.. You think that way is east or that we should go east?"

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Corona, on her hands and knees, is surprised about the unladylike position she found herself in. She is awkwardly stunned for a moment before flitting back to her usual altitude, which is eye level to the others. After that, she brushes herself off and clears her throat. "Hem hem. Very well then. Lead the way, Mr. Chereth," she says. "Not that I'm sure this plane has an 'East...'" she mutters to herself, afterwards. Usually which way is where has to be agreed upon for places with no magnetic poles.

22. - Top - End - #22

Kiresh gets up, claps a little dust and grit off his hands, and nods approvingly at Briespen's reshaped form. He taps on the floor and walls with his staff, apparently testing them for durability. "Where I grew up, Lady Sugarfloss, the compass circle was divided five ways rather than four," he comments while the scouts move ahead. "Five elements, too. I'm bemused by the number of people insisting on four in both fields; thaumatology and manalogy make a much easier study with the presumption of five. And 'dis-north' is a perfectly reasonable way to describe 'south' without losing the potential benefits of the pentacle compass."

After another moment, he says, "Well, we haven't heard any screaming yet, so we're off to a good start. But I didn't think to ask before they snuck out whether we wait here or follow."

Current games list

23. - Top - End - #23

Chimera

The door to the next room is made of a bright wood and actually has a small vine growing through it. Upon opening the door, you can see what looks to be a larger copy of the first room, though it has holes in the floor in random places. They aren't holes straight down; it looks more like a network of burrows, since they have entrances that are almost horizontal and then the tunnels turn perpendicular to the entrances.
    Also, the room has no torches, but is just as dimly lit as the last room. All of you have concealment versus attacks made without Low-Light vision or darkvision. Same applies to enemies, though. If you receive concealment from a power or feature like Shadow Walk, you get total concealment from that ability instead in this magic candlelight.
    If you have a way to get rid of zones, like dispel magic, you can attempt a check related to that keyword (arcana for arcane powers, nature for primal, religion for divine, and your choice of dungeoneering or arcana for psionic) to remove a portion of the dim light without expending that power.
    Briespen sees three of the holes in the ground have creatures sitting in them as if on lookout. One is a black kobold with horns and a thick tail. Another is a white kobold with huge claws and saber teeth. Both of those wear plate armor, but only the black one wears a shield and wields a scimitar. The last creature appears to have the upper half of a green kobold and the lower half of a scaly lion, with a snake's tail and long, thin fins on each of its joints. It wears a harness made of metal pieces held together with straps of cloth, and a fullblade rests across its forelegs. Only its rump fits in the hole.
    Spoiler: OoC
    Show

I need a stealth check from each member of the party other than Briespen, who already rolled. Briespen's and Chereth's success or failure will be doubled, as they are the scouts on point. Therefore, you already have 2 successes.
    If you all score at least 4 successes together, you will get a surprise round and can attempt to bypass these creatures with bluff (to misdirect them) or stealth (to sneak past), or try the risky move (higher DC) and put blades to their necks for intimidate.
    If you do not get at least 4 successes, this fight will be unavoidable and you get no surprise.
    If you get 4 or more failures, this fight will get a lot harder.
    Last edited by MinotaurWarblad; 2019-09-17 at 09:54 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, I know some planes base their navigation on the physical movements of the surface. My home plane uses a 4 direction system when on land, but more to venerate the seasons,"
    Corona says. "It works well enough mathematically. We fey are naturally attuned to magic, so 5 points are unneeded. Furthermore, wood was as an element on the Feywild after Oberon kept making too many puns of an impolite nature to Titania."

Spoiler: Roll
    Show

(1d20+15)[33] Stealth

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Chereth takes a moment to peek himself, before vanishing, to the others behind him and Briespen, appearing next to Corona. "Shhh. Kobold mutants. Two." before heading back to meet up with Briespen again. Shadowstuff clings heavily to the catman, as he marks one of the two kobolds.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Course if I fail, I probally won't get the kobold marked I guess. [dice]1d20+14[/dice]

26. - Top - End - #26

Chimera

Quick correction: there are three.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

"Hm... well, if we can capture one, perhaps we may be able to to acquire some valuable intel," Corona squeaks, stroking her chin.

28. - Top - End - #28

Chimera

Roll initiative!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

"Hm, either way," Corona whispers quietly. "We'll make their acquaintance."

Spoiler: Init
    Show

(1d20+6)[14]
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2019-10-13 at 10:46 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

MonkGuy

Briespen in panther form suddenly blurs into action, daring into the room and mauling the closest enemy with her vicious claws.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Charging "Blacky", moving to J7. Using Savage Rend
    Attack - (1d20+19)[27]
    [roll=Damage]1d8+1d6+16[/roll]
    Guess you can't combine different dice. Roll in OOC was 22 damage.
    If I hit, slide Blacky to I7 and it is knocked prone.
    Last edited by Master_Rahl22; 2019-10-14 at 05:41 PM.