The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Default Atlastrembles' Red Hand of Doom [5E] - OOC

The afternoon sun beats down on you; the air is hot and still. It's been a hard few weeks of travel, but the end is in sight. The sparsely settled lands of Elsir Vale are starting to grow monotonous, with a seemingly endless line of dusty flyspecks of towns. The town of Drellin’s Ferry lies a few miles ahead of you. It’s a settlement hard on the borders of the Witchwood, and the destination you've been heading towards over a month's hard travelling. You could have gotten there quicker by following the Old Dwarf Road, but everyone knows only the foolish or the brave still take that cursed path; both the foolish and the brave tend to end up the same, too.

As journeyfolk members of the Southlands' premier mercenary/merchant guild, the House of Sharpened Coin, this is just another job of many on the way to becoming full shareholders in the sprawling international operation. Protect the cargo, see that it is delivered safely, report success, and, most importantly, ask no questions. All was routine, down to the blistered feet and sunburned foreheads. At least, that's what you thought up until the moment you crested a small rise and descended into a dusty grove in a large, shallow dell where an abandonned farmhouse peeked through the parched trees...

Spoiler: BIG OLE ONE-SIX PLUS ONE (16+1)
    Show
    1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?
    5E

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?
    What it says on the box - we're playing through a 5E conversion of the Red Hand of Doom adventure path originally released for 3.5 way back when. We'll be set in the Forgotten Realm, cosmology / pantheon-wise, but as the geography is predominantly pre-set, don't think too hard about where the geography is in relation to a Map of Faerun. Suffice it to say we're in the South somewhere, hence the "Southlands" reference in the intro. This helps the climatic aesthetic for the campaign - hot and dry as a tinderbox, ready to go up in flame.

3.How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?
    I'm looking for four-five players maximum as well as a couple of alternates depending on the quality of the applications. Only committed potential PCs need to apply. I'm putting work into DMing this game and committing to keeping it running to the best of my ability, so you should at least commit to putting some thought into your application and commitment to the game.

4.What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?
    Discord or GitP forums, but I prefer Discord personally for the organization of material, ease of image posting, etc. But open to discussing with players having it all be here on the forum.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
    The campaign is designed to take players from 5 to at least 10, so starting Level will be 5. We can discuss going beyond the limits of the adventure path if or when we get there. Let's focus on at least getting through this path first. :)

6.How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
    The House of Sharpened Coin provides a bursary of 250 GP, one common, and one uncommon item to all its journeyfolk staff for a job. Some of you may be fretting that this isn't much to start with, but hey, there will be lots of loot on this adventure so don't stress too hard. You're hardened mercenaries for the most part, not freewheeling adventurers with many quests to strange places under your belt.

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?
    Any WotC-published 5E material is just fine by me, with the exception of any UA or setting-inappropriate stuff. IE please don't pull in a smattering of Ravinica and Eberron stuff. Keep those PCs consistent with the world. I am skeptical of 99.9% of homebrew so feel free to propose something if you want, but don't be grumpy if I ignore your application entirely if it's predicated on some random munchkin build you've found.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?
    See above for homebrew warning clause. Monstrous species will also be scrutinized very heavily and will have to have a very compelling backstory/reason for being included in this campaign.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?
    I don't like the swinginess of rolling, so standard array of 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8 is in effect. Max HP at first level, average HP increases thereafter. Feat or ASI at Level 4 as per normal. No ability scores above 20 without magical enhancement as usual.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
    Yes, alignment is in effect. Lawful stupid and chaotic psycopath need not apply, though, because D and D is a team game and, shocking, you'll have to work together both in-game and meta-game-wise to make this all work. We live in a society, act like other people matter.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it? Go nuts, as long as the multiclass makes sense for your character. I will be wary of obvious munchkin multiclass attempts like sorcadins or hexblade paladins. Not because they're not viable builds per se but because they are one-trick ponies that generally make **** PCs.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?
    I'll be rolling for all NPCs, PC initiative, and PC saves against enemy spells/abilities to make sure combat doesn't get bogged down more than it already does on PbP. DM rolls will generally be in the open, but I of course reserve the right to hide some rolls for narrative impact.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.
    Because travel and timing are crucial components of this campaign, I'll be effecting some sort of system for travel so that it matters game-wise. We can work out the details later. We'll be using a grid for battles so diagonal movement will be as follows - 5 feet for first diagonal square moved, then 10 feet for second diagonal square moved, then 5 for the third, etc.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
    Character background is 100% required. It doesn't need to be gargantuan, but enough for me to get a sense of where they're coming from; when you're making the backstory, think of where your character comes from, why they've got the skillset they do, so on so forth. Please also include a character portrait, a physical description, and three core personality traits.

I'd also like a short writing sample (two paragraphs or so) to verify you can write and contribute effectively to the narrative.

Character sheets on Mythweavers please and thank you.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
    This campaign has a lot of combat and not a bunch of puzzle solving, but there will be lots of strategic decision making and roleplaying will absolutely have an effect on the game world and the unfolding of campaign events.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?
    See 7 and 8.

17. Do you have any other application requirements or notes for applicants?
    I will generally try to post at least 3 times per week, faster if I can manage it. This will be a marathon, not a sprint, so applicants who are interested in sticking this out are the only ones who should apply. This is also for fun! So I totally acknowledge that real life is more important. If you have to dip out of the adventure or go on vacation, just let me know and I can pilot you for a bit or figure something out. Players who ghost will be similarly ghosted in game. :)

The setting of the adventure is a thinly populated human frontier known as Elsir Vale and the surrounding wilderlands. The vale stretches almost 250 miles east to west and averages about 70 miles north to south. Several small mountain ranges and dense forests form the vale’s borders.

Elsir Vale lies in the subtropical latitudes. Summers are hot and dry (although punctuated by the occasional intense thunderstorm), and winters are warm and rainy. Large stretches of the area are quite arid, and the vale is flanked by vast savannahs stretching for mile after dusty mile. The forests that stretch across most of the vale’s northern reaches are stifling and swelteringly hot in the summertime, with not a breath of wind to relieve the oppressive heat.

The scattered human towns and villages of the area grew upalong the Dawn Way, an important east-west trade road linking the heavily settled lands that lie northwest across the Endless Plains with the exotic kingdoms and goods of the coastal lands lying to the southeast. Much of the Dawn Way was built by an ancient dwarf-kingdom that spanned the Wyrmsmoke and Giantshield Mountains more than a thousand years ago. While the dwarves are long gone, their roads, bridges, and cisterns remain in use to this day. After the dwarf-realm passed, the presence of various monsters and raiders kept traffic along the Dawn Way light for many years; few caravans dared the long and dangerous trek. Few humans lived in Elsir Vale during those years—only scattered settlements of druidic folk who left behind little more than grassy barrows and stone circles on the hilltops.

About five hundred years ago, the nearby city of Rhest came to control the vale and a large swath of land north of the Giantshields as well. Soldiers from Rhest secured the roads all the way to Dennovar and beyond, creating a safe passage for trade. More and more traders traveled the Dawn Way, and the kingdom of Rhestilor grew wealthy on the tariffs exacted from the passing merchants. Under the kingdom’s shield, the towns along the Dawn Way—Brindol, Talar, Terrelton, and the rest—grew up from tiny hamlets or lonely soldiers’ posts to flourishing human settlements.

The kingdom of Rhestilor eventually collapsed under civil strife, monstrous incursions, and magical blights. Almost two hundred years ago, the city of Rhest was burned by a savage horde out of the Wyrmsmoke Mountains. Although the warriors of Rhestilor killed many of the goblins and their kind, the city was abandoned and the already weakened kingdom broken. The locks and canals surrounding Rhest fell into disrepair, and the Blackfens swallowed the ruined city.

In the years since the kingdom’s fall, the towns of Elsir Vale have come to look after themselves. Most of the local lords, such as Jarmaath of Brindol, still hold titles derived from the old kingdom of Rhestilor. While everybody knows that the kings of Rhestilor are long dead, no new realm has arisen in the vale.

In Character Thread

COMBAT SHEET

Player Name Race Class Character Sheet
    tbergman92 Wood Elf Rogue - Inquisitive Character Sheet
    Man on Fire Human (Variant) Paladin - Oath of Vengeance Character Sheet
    Sahe Dwarf Wizard - Abjuration Character Sheet
    DigoDragon Human Bard - Lore Character Sheet
    Majin Elf Wizard - Bladesinger Character Sheet
    ProudGrognard Human Ranger - Umbral Stalker Character Sheet
    PeacefulOak Human Monk - Way of Shadow Character Sheet
    Last edited by atlastrembles; 2019-09-22 at 01:14 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Atlastrembles' Red Hand of Doom [5E] - OOC

Wow, I made it! Yay!

Eti will speak in Grey.

Question regarding the Sharpened Coin: are there ranks within it? If so, are any of us of any rank beyond the lowest?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Goblin

Welcome friends, so happy to make it to the game. Marcus will be speaking in Purple

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Hello, hello, glad I got in! Cael will be speaking in Bold Fire Brick.
    Spoiler: Older avatar
    Show

Darrik Proudfoot, Kender ranger by Gorgon_Heap

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Hi again, I am glad to be hear! Noman will be talking in Sienna

6. - Top - End - #6
    Spamalot in the Playground

I'll pick Medium Blue for speech (if I forget the color, it's probably because I'm on mobile).

(Edit ) Short intro!

Freya couldn't help but size up each of her traveling companions on this trip. They were all mercenaries working for the same company, like herself, but were they the easy to get along with type or the stab-you-for-asking-questions type? Well, Freya felt she could break the iceberg to start. She was fairly good at charming people when she needed to. Besides, they were all on the same side, right?

She pulls out her dulcimer and strums very lightly, as if tuning it. Freya moves a little closer to her companions. "Anyone here from far away cold lands? Where the snow is frosty and the mead is frothy? To sit by the hearth with a lover at hand?" She smiles, continuing to test her strings.
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2019-09-14 at 08:44 AM.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

7. - Top - End - #7

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by PeacefulOak View Post
    Wow, I made it! Yay!

Eti will speak in Grey.

Question regarding the Sharpened Coin: are there ranks within it? If so, are any of us of any rank beyond the lowest?
    You can most certainly decide amongst yourselves if you are higher or lower rank, with the exception that none of you are the leader of this particular shipment / caravan.

House Ranks:

----PCs----
    Apprentix
    Journer
    Assoc
    Guilder

----House Leadership----
    Praetor
    Primix

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

I have no problem with using ranks. However, it is tied to another question I had:

By 5th level, 5e sort of assumes that the characters have a reputation, they are no mere adventurers. How is the relative power level in this AP? What does 5th level mean?

As for Noman, I have no problem with him being a Journer. He joined relatively recently, and he has no love or respect for rank.

9. - Top - End - #9

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by ProudGrognard View Post
    I have no problem with using ranks. However, it is tied to another question I had:

By 5th level, 5e sort of assumes that the characters have a reputation, they are no mere adventurers. How is the relative power level in this AP? What does 5th level mean?

As for Noman, I have no problem with him being a Journer. He joined relatively recently, and he has no love or respect for rank.
    Your characters certainly have a reputation - it's no mean feat to be a member of the House of Sharpened Coin. Being fifth level also assumes a level of expertise and competence of your abilities, which you all indeed have to have become respected members of the Southlands' premier trading guild and mercenary company.

In modern terms, it's like you guys are ex-special forces now working at a high profile and very expensive security firm. You may not be lesser nobles or folk heroes as might be true in a different setting or adventure path, but you will certainly be respected in the same way, if not with the same fondness.

PCs can be expected to be recognized for their membership in the House. It'll be up to you how to leverage, or hide, your association with the House as the adventure progresses.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by atlastrembles View Post
    ----PCs----
    Apprentix
    Journer
    "Freya is but humble Appendix, and will work hard to become the full Journal.[/COLOR]"
    Digo Dragon - Artist

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Your characters certainly have a reputation - it's no mean feat to be a member of the House of Sharpened Coin. Being fifth level also assumes a level of expertise and competence of your abilities, which you all indeed have to have become respected members of the Southlands' premier trading guild and mercenary company.

In modern terms, it's like you guys are ex-special forces now working at a high profile and very expensive security firm. You may not be lesser nobles or folk heroes as might be true in a different setting or adventure path, but you will certainly be respected in the same way, if not with the same fondness.

PCs can be expected to be recognized for their membership in the House. It'll be up to you how to leverage, or hide, your association with the House as the adventure progresses.
    Thanks for the answer, Atlas!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Not quite sure where I'd place Dagna personally.

She is that armor clad wizard right in the frontline with the fighters, swinging that warhammer of hers.

She likes to laugh, but is the kind of person who drops her hammer on someone's foot if they come on to her in the wrong way.

She also has lost an eye in war and has quite the scarred face.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Goblin

You can most certainly decide amongst yourselves if you are higher or lower rank, with the exception that none of you are the leader of this particular shipment / caravan.

House Ranks:

----PCs----
    Apprentix
    Journer
    Assoc
    Guilder

----House Leadership----
    Praetor
    Primix
    What does each these ranks entails? And did you list them in rising and descending order?

14. - Top - End - #14

BardGuy

Glad to be invited to be a part of the game! I'll edit my intro into this post shortly, but Tavi will speak in Green. As far as rank is concerned Tavi is haughty enough to seek out a high rank, mainly high enough that he picks his own jobs as often as possible, but not so high that he is frequently responsible for others. Of course that doesn't mean he has that rank now, just that he'd like to be a Guilder eventually. He's somewhat recently joined but has ambition, so Journer might make the most sense for him.

EDIT:

Intro for Tavi:

A non-descript wood elf in common clothes and a gray cloak traveled somewhat separately from the caravan, often looking ahead or trailing behind to check for signs of trouble. His eyes were the only thing that stood out in his face or demeanor: constantly weighing, evaluating, and measuring the worth of those around him. You know little of his story--something about being gone from the area for a long time, only returning recently to the area. His companions may have noticed his observant nature and inquisitive insticts and put the clues together to identify him as either an investigator or a criminla, but they'd be hard-pressed to identify which. On one of his passes back through the caravan, his eyes weighed each of his companions: Marcus, Dagna, Cael, Noman, Etienne, and Freya, whose remark caught his attention, "Cold lands? No, I'm from here, originally. Spent some time in Calimport, but it's as hot and dry as the worst of the Vale."
    Last edited by tbergman92; 2019-09-15 at 11:17 AM.
    I'll be sober tomorrow.

15. - Top - End - #15

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Man on Fire View Post
    What does each these ranks entails? And did you list them in rising and descending order?
    They go from Apprentix --> Primix.

Essentially, the ranks correspond to the following modern-day titles if it helps.

Apprentix - Intern / New Hire
    Journer - Staff
    Assoc - Supervisor / Senior Staff
    Guilder - Manager

Praetor - Senior Management
    Primix - Executive Management

In all honesty, your rank is mostly flavour as the adventure path won't really be much about the guild's machinations, etc, but if it helps you think about your character and how they relate to the other PCs then that works well!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Hmm, I think Cael wouldn't have a very high rank. EDIT: maybe journer or assoc?

Intro:

In the camp, Caeldrim lounged, languidly eating his rations and gazing into the distance. Occasionally he threw pieces of dried meat into the air, which his pseudodragon familiar quickly snatched and gulped down. A slender, finely crafted rapier rested on the ground near him, ready to be drawn should any enemies suddenly appear. The elf's clothes looked like they were better suited for a fancy party than traveling, but he did spend some time each evening keeping them tidy, casting a spell to clean them and stitching any tears. Cael did seem to pay too much attention to his looks, but wasn't afraid to get down and dirty when necessary.
    Last edited by Majin; 2019-09-15 at 03:15 PM.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Sahe View Post
    Not quite sure where I'd place Dagna personally.
    She is that armor clad wizard right in the frontline with the fighters, swinging that warhammer of hers.
    She likes to laugh, but is the kind of person who drops her hammer on someone's foot if they come on to her in the wrong way.
    She also has lost an eye in war and has quite the scarred face.
    Freya slides over to Dagna and taps her warhammer. "Ah, so you are like Freya; not betrothed to one man or concept. Yours is a clan of magic and steel together. No foot shall be safe from your might, yes?" She gives Dagna a friendly smile.

Quote Originally Posted by tbergman92 View Post
    Freya, whose remark caught his attention, "Cold lands? No, I'm from here, originally. Spent some time in Calimport, but it's as hot and dry as the worst of the Vale."
    "Ah, this one could sing to you of her snow-covered homelands," Freya says with a wistful sigh. "The texture of soft wolf fur, the crackle of a warm fire; and then you look up at the night sky, and behold it is painted with the green veils of the celestials. I have yet to see those lights anywhere else."
    Digo Dragon - Artist

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Would anyone care to have known Noman before this adventure? He can be a bit unpleasant, but whoever has worked with him before would know that he is very dependable.

Since Freya is new, perhaps this is their first time together. But I believe that Cael and Dagna are likely to have worked with him before. Is that OK? If yes, read on, otherwise I will have to edit a bit.

Noman intro

Noman spends much of his time on his horse, going back and forth in the caravan, scouting ahead and dismounting every hour or so to search for hostile tracks. In most cases, a cigar is in his lips, which he manages to keep lit with impressive dexterity, considering he also has a bow in one hand and the reins of the horse on the other.

During camp, Noman makes sure his things are nearby before lounging. His face is a bot sour, like something mildly unpleasant is taking place nearby. He knows some of his compatriots, but not all. The dwarf was solid and unusual, and the elf was a terror with his blade. Both dependable and gritty enough for Noman 's taste. They were, on the whole, less horrible that most sentient beings.

The new guys and gals, now, Noman did not yet know. They must be quite good to come at this run. If they were as horribe as demihumans tend to be, that remained to be seen.

When the bard Freya started to make friends, Noman shook his head. Why do people try to do that? But thoughts of cold in this heat blasted place were good.

"I have no love of wolf fur, attached to the wolf or otherwise.But some snow would be good just about now. Cold ale even better."

19. - Top - End - #19

I do see Freya as a new member of this guild, so your idea works for me.

I also been playing Skyrim, so I had the odd idea to borrow the way Khajiit speak as a way to simulate Freya's foreign accent.
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2019-09-16 at 07:33 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Goblin

They go from Apprentix --> Primix.

Essentially, the ranks correspond to the following modern-day titles if it helps.

Apprentix - Intern / New Hire
    Journer - Staff
    Assoc - Supervisor / Senior Staff
    Guilder - Manager

Praetor - Senior Management
    Primix - Executive Management

In all honesty, your rank is mostly flavour as the adventure path won't really be much about the guild's machinations, etc, but if it helps you think about your character and how they relate to the other PCs then that works well!
    I think then Apprentix works best for Marcus.

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    I'll pick Medium Blue for speech (if I forget the color, it's probably because I'm on mobile).

(Edit ) Short intro!

Freya couldn't help but size up each of her traveling companions on this trip. They were all mercenaries working for the same company, like herself, but were they the easy to get along with type or the stab-you-for-asking-questions type? Well, Freya felt she could break the iceberg to start. She was fairly good at charming people when she needed to. Besides, they were all on the same side, right?

She pulls out her dulcimer and strums very lightly, as if tuning it. Freya moves a little closer to her companions. "Anyone here from far away cold lands? Where the snow is frosty and the mead is frothy? To sit by the hearth with a lover at hand?" She smiles, continuing to test her strings.
    Quote Originally Posted by tbergman92 View Post
    Glad to be invited to be a part of the game! I'll edit my intro into this post shortly, but Tavi will speak in Green. As far as rank is concerned Tavi is haughty enough to seek out a high rank, mainly high enough that he picks his own jobs as often as possible, but not so high that he is frequently responsible for others. Of course that doesn't mean he has that rank now, just that he'd like to be a Guilder eventually. He's somewhat recently joined but has ambition, so Journer might make the most sense for him.

EDIT:

Intro for Tavi:

A non-descript wood elf in common clothes and a gray cloak traveled somewhat separately from the caravan, often looking ahead or trailing behind to check for signs of trouble. His eyes were the only thing that stood out in his face or demeanor: constantly weighing, evaluating, and measuring the worth of those around him. You know little of his story--something about being gone from the area for a long time, only returning recently to the area. His companions may have noticed his observant nature and inquisitive insticts and put the clues together to identify him as either an investigator or a criminla, but they'd be hard-pressed to identify which. On one of his passes back through the caravan, his eyes weighed each of his companions: Marcus, Dagna, Cael, Noman, Etienne, and Freya, whose remark caught his attention, "Cold lands? No, I'm from here, originally. Spent some time in Calimport, but it's as hot and dry as the worst of the Vale."
    Quote Originally Posted by Majin View Post
    Hmm, I think Cael wouldn't have a very high rank. EDIT: maybe journer or assoc?

Intro:

In the camp, Caeldrim lounged, languidly eating his rations and gazing into the distance. Occasionally he threw pieces of dried meat into the air, which his pseudodragon familiar quickly snatched and gulped down. A slender, finely crafted rapier rested on the ground near him, ready to be drawn should any enemies suddenly appear. The elf's clothes looked like they were better suited for a fancy party than traveling, but he did spend some time each evening keeping them tidy, casting a spell to clean them and stitching any tears. Cael did seem to pay too much attention to his looks, but wasn't afraid to get down and dirty when necessary.
    Freya slides over to Dagna and taps her warhammer. "Ah, so you are like Freya; not betrothed to one man or concept. Yours is a clan of magic and steel together. No foot shall be safe from your might, yes?" She gives Dagna a friendly smile.

"Ah, this one could sing to you of her snow-covered homelands," Freya says with a wistful sigh. "The texture of soft wolf fur, the crackle of a warm fire; and then you look up at the night sky, and behold it is painted with the green veils of the celestials. I have yet to see those lights anywhere else."
    Would anyone care to have known Noman before this adventure? He can be a bit unpleasant, but whoever has worked with him before would know that he is very dependable.

Since Freya is new, perhaps this is their first time together. But I believe that Cael and Dagna are likely to have worked with him before. Is that OK? If yes, read on, otherwise I will have to edit a bit.

Noman intro

Noman spends much of his time on his horse, going back and forth in the caravan, scouting ahead and dismounting every hour or so to search for hostile tracks. In most cases, a cigar is in his lips, which he manages to keep lit with impressive dexterity, considering he also has a bow in one hand and the reins of the horse on the other.

During camp, Noman makes sure his things are nearby before lounging. His face is a bot sour, like something mildly unpleasant is taking place nearby. He knows some of his compatriots, but not all. The dwarf was solid and unusual, and the elf was a terror with his blade. Both dependable and gritty enough for Noman 's taste. They were, on the whole, less horrible that most sentient beings.

The new guys and gals, now, Noman did not yet know. They must be quite good to come at this run. If they were as horribe as demihumans tend to be, that remained to be seen.

When the bard Freya started to make friends, Noman shook his head. Why do people try to do that? But thoughts of cold in this heat blasted place were good.

"I have no love of wolf fur, attached to the wolf or otherwise.But some snow would be good just about now. Cold ale even better."
    ---Marcus Intro---

A powerfully built man, always riding in front of the caravan, Marcus was by all means intimidating. He mostly kept to himself, never isolating himself from the group but just mostly being there, either focused on his work or deep inside his own thoughts. Why, he never even drank any wise, ale or beer. Just water. He rarely spoke, but when he did it was with kind, stoic tone, just like now.

"Been in many parts of the world, but never anywhere for long. That was...a different life. Can't say I found the northern lands much alluring, the cold is....not my forte. As for the ale, I did not dance with that particular demon for a long time and I'm in no hurry to try again." And with the last words, he raised a cup of water and finished it in one haust.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Etienne (Eti to friends) is an Assoc, but not a leader just a senior member.

~~~

Etienne has been absent for most of the day's travel, as per usual. The day spent ranging ahead, seeking threats and dangers and any ways to ease the journey. Little flags and scrapes in the stone tell a ready tale of the journey ahead, signs left by the group's experienced way-finder. Near day's end she appears from the shadows, her short-cut blonde hair held back by the straps of strange dark-lensed goggles. Knee-high leather boots and tough leather gauntlets that reach to her elbows are the sole concession to defense, the rest of her clothing a simple blue-black jumpsuit. Each night as she settles in she pulls out either a small lap drum or her woodworking tools and lets the evening inspire her, either tapping out a rhythm to the sounds of the camp or taking a knot of wood and finding whatever shape might lie within it.

This night, as conversation takes the group, she sighs and nods to Noman as she settles in. "I've seen the snows once or twice, on a trip here or there. Places worth seeing, not like this backwater country we have here. The sooner we're done our job, the sooner we're back to civilized lands and decent fo- people." She covers the verbal slip well, and nods to the dulcimer. "You play that?" The lap-drum comes out from her pack, resting on one thigh as her fingers smooth over the head and tap a ripple of sound.
    Last edited by PeacefulOak; 2019-09-16 at 02:45 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

That works for me.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23

"The fur is less aggressive when separated from the wolf," Freya quipped with a wink. The idea of a cold ale had her nod and daydream of a frosty pint.

"Been in many parts of the world, but never anywhere for long. That was...a different life. Can't say I found the northern lands much alluring, the cold is....not my forte. As for the ale, I did not dance with that particular demon for a long time and I'm in no hurry to try again." And with the last words, he raised a cup of water and finished it in one haust.
    Freya took interest in the words of cold northern lands. She remembered how local maps put her homeland far to the southern edge (if the maps were even drawn that long to include it). "This one senses a hard past with ale, yes?"

She covers the verbal slip well, and nods to the dulcimer. "You play that?" The lap-drum comes out from her pack, resting on one thigh as her fingers smooth over the head and tap a ripple of sound.
    Freya plucked the strings of her dulcimer at more than an idle pace. She played one of the first tunes she learned when she took up the instrument. "The sound reminds Freya of home."
    Digo Dragon - Artist

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Goblin

"[COLOR="#0000CD"]
    Freya took interest in the words of cold northern lands. She remembered how local maps put her homeland far to the southern edge (if the maps were even drawn that long to include it). "This one senses a hard past with ale, yes?"
    "Among other things." Marcus chuckles.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Dagna looks at Freya with a slightly puzzled look, then laughs, "Betrothed to a man? I'd rather give my other good eye. Is that your way of asking if I am single?"

26. - Top - End - #26

Planetar

Hey folks, dropping in to say the IC post will be up and we can get started in earnest within the next 24 hours or so. I know I've apologized a few times already for the slowness of the start-up, but I haven't disappeared. Bear with me and we'll get this off to a roaring start soon enough. :)

For your patience and for the excellent intro roleplaying going on - I'm getting a great sense of your characters - you will all start the campaign with a point of inspiration.
    Last edited by atlastrembles; 2019-09-21 at 10:59 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Hey folks, dropping in to say the IC post will be up and we can get started in earnest within the next 24 hours or so. I know I've apologized a few times already for the slowness of the start-up, but I haven't disappeared. Bear with me and we'll get this off to a roaring start soon enough. :)

For your patience and for the excellent intro roleplaying going on - I'm getting a great sense of your characters - you will all start the campaign with a point of inspiration.
    Hey Atlas! Thanks for the heads up!

28. - Top - End - #28

Hey folks, dropping in to say the IC post will be up and we can get started in earnest within the next 24 hours or so
    Ah, good to know! And thanks for the Inspiration point. :3

"Among other things." Marcus chuckles.
    Freya nods with some understanding, "Well, it is good to know where your limit is. Even if it is at 'none'."

Quote Originally Posted by Sahe View Post
    Dagna looks at Freya with a slightly puzzled look, then laughs, "Betrothed to a man? I'd rather give my other good eye. Is that your way of asking if I am single?"
    "Err, no. Freya was just saying," she quickly replies with an embarrassed look, "that you are your own lady. You answer to no one. This one was not trying to be too personal."
    Digo Dragon - Artist

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

---Marcus Intro---

A powerfully built man, always riding in front of the caravan, Marcus was by all means intimidating. He mostly kept to himself, never isolating himself from the group but just mostly being there, either focused on his work or deep inside his own thoughts. Why, he never even drank any wise, ale or beer. Just water. He rarely spoke, but when he did it was with kind, stoic tone, just like now.

Noman looks with interested eye to the detached fighting man. He had not worked with him before, but something in his tone and his talk of demons makes him take a closer look. People who have gone through a personal battle are the ones who understand why the search for askesis and physis is important. Marcus bears watching. Of course, he will probably be a disappointment in the end. People are like that.

Etienne has been absent for most of the day's travel, as per usual. The day spent ranging ahead, seeking threats and dangers and any ways to ease the journey. Little flags and scrapes in the stone tell a ready tale of the journey ahead, signs left by the group's experienced way-finder. Near day's end she appears from the shadows, her short-cut blonde hair held back by the straps of strange dark-lensed goggles. Knee-high leather boots and tough leather gauntlets that reach to her elbows are the sole concession to defense, the rest of her clothing a simple blue-black jumpsuit. Each night as she settles in she pulls out either a small lap drum or her woodworking tools and lets the evening inspire her, either tapping out a rhythm to the sounds of the camp or taking a knot of wood and finding whatever shape might lie within it.

This night, as conversation takes the group, she sighs and nods to Noman as she settles in. "I've seen the snows once or twice, on a trip here or there. Places worth seeing, not like this backwater country we have here. The sooner we're done our job, the sooner we're back to civilized lands and decent fo- people." She covers the verbal slip well, and nods to the dulcimer. "You play that?" The lap-drum comes out from her pack, resting on one thigh as her fingers smooth over the head and tap a ripple of sound.
    Noman almost jumped when the young woman came out of the woods, and he never jumps. He has seen her scouting far afield, very silent and very quick. Noman had seen such only once before. Etienne was probably one of the monks, if he was any judge. She and Noman should come to an arrangement regarding scouting. Two uncoordinated scouts is a bad idea.

When Etienne pulls her drum again, Noman makes a 'Oh bother' face. But that is just him being disagreeable. He actually settles down to hear better, if some music is forthcoming.

30. - Top - End - #30

Planetar

INTRO ADMIN AND COMBAT POST

The IC Thread is up and running!

We'll be using the attached combat sheet to track most campaign stuff, including combat.

Please only move and edit your own character's information.

COMBAT MAP

For now, please do the following:

1. Place your character anywhere within 2 squares of the wagons.
    2. Roll a Perception Check
    3. Roll an Initiative Check
    4. Make and intro post and/ or describe how your character reacts!
    5. Have fun! :D

Note: Anyone who fails the Perception check will be surprised by the attacking hobgoblins and then their Initiative score will determine when they go in the subsequent round.

Looking forward to playing!
    Last edited by atlastrembles; 2019-09-22 at 01:12 PM.