The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Newish to M&M 3e: How do I build this character?

I have 3 build choices per the DM:
    PL 8 with 40 bonus points
    PL 9 with 20 bonus points
    PL 10 with 0 bonus points

Quote Originally Posted by Zhentarim View Post
    Is traveling into people’s individual “mind dimension” against your prohibition on dimensional travel? I’m fluffling it something like this:

Essentially, instead of “traditional” dimensional travel, I’d be zapping myself into a different aspect of reality by going into the minds of real people or creatures. Actions taken in the mindscape affect the person or creature and have long term effects on the personality and mental state of the person, but there are often negative side effects from using the ability due to a variant of the butterfly effect.

In addition to entering the mindscape to fix problems “manually”, I also have telepathy, mind control (progressive affliction), modify memory (affliction limited to one step: transformation, with limited modifier that limits the transformation to erasing and implanting memories), and thought form (insubstantial 3 (psionic energy) and limited to while invisible plus invisibility and limited to while insubstantial (insubstantial 3 or higher)).

I can travel into mindscapes alone or I can bring others in physical contact with me into the mindscape as well, but if I’m being touched, I have to bring that person with me. Its the same with my thought form—I can bring others in physical contact with me into thought form, but if they are in physical contact with me, I have to bring them into thought form. Also, to enter a person or creature with a mind’s mindscape, we have to both perceive each other with one of our five (or more) senses, and when I exit a mindscape, I must do so in a way that is percieved by that person or creature’s senses, and usually this means I enter a mindscape making eye contact and after I exit the mindscape, we are making eye contact. Finally, if I take a person or creature with me into their own mindscape, it leaves their physical body behind helpless and unconscious and if that physical body is killed, it kills that person or creature and anybody in that creature’s mindscape is also killed. If I go into my own mindscape, I leave my physical body behind, as well. Otherwise, if I make eye contact with a person or creature I’m not physically touching then activate my mindscape power without touching them, I turn into thought form and am instantly shunted into their mindscape, leaving nothing behind.

While in a mindscape, I can conjure minor items like food and weak “thought sprites” made of dream stuff. Since these minor items are made from dreamstuff, they can’t leave the mindscape.

A final note on thought form is since I am made of invisible psionic energy, and am only insubstantial 3, I can move through anything not impervious to psionic energy and/or anything not airtight. I guess this isn’t that far off from insubstantial 4, since I’m not sure what would be impervious to psionic energy unless you told me. Brainwaves are electric, so that might be a hint.
    I’m still working on my backstory.
    DnD Alignment: Neutral Evil
    M&M 3e Character Thread
    Spoiler: Dare you stare into Abaddon?
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Newish to M&M 3e: How do I build this character?

Well, I'd definitely take the PL 10 option, especially as it's only five points more than PL-9-plus-20 and ten more than PL-8-plus-40. Otherwise, what kinda advice are you looking for?

STaRS (and STaRS Lite)
    A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system, by me. Now officially released!

Grod's Guide to Greatness
    A big book of player options for 5e, by me

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Newish to M&M 3e: How do I build this character?

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Well, I'd definitely take the PL 10 option, especially as it's only five points more than PL-9-plus-20 and ten more than PL-8-plus-40. Otherwise, what kinda advice are you looking for?
    I ended up piecing the rules together as best as I could, and the gm changed the build options to pl-9-plus-30 and pl-8-plus-60. I essentially made the mindscape travel a minor part of the character and gave a character with a harlequin (from dc comics) background the powers of pennywise the dancing clown (from steven king’s book, IT). I’m almost done making that character, and will post it to make sure its rules legal.
    DnD Alignment: Neutral Evil
    M&M 3e Character Thread
    Spoiler: Dare you stare into Abaddon?
    Show