The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [D&D 3.5] [Gestalt] [Seeking Players] Another Bloody Isekai - Dungeon Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Triskavanski View Post
    I could push a bard to tier 1 quite possibly.
    Without a fast spell progression Prestige class that gets 9ths? I dare thee. Go for it.
    Throw the dice high.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: [D&D 3.5] [Gestalt] [Seeking Players] Another Bloody Isekai - Dungeon Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    Thank you. I'll probably take that. Last time I tried it, it got shot down as not RAW. There are some abuses possible, but not with the sort of spells I'll be taking. (E.g. baleful transposition to move fully onto the Material and dump your target into the Ethereal -- good luck getting back!)
    Also, for gear, there's the Ghostly Grasp feat from Libris Mortis.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FearlessGnome View Post
    Without a fast spell progression Prestige class that gets 9ths? I dare thee. Go for it.
    Yeah I was thinking the Sublim Chord and Virtuoso Prc as well to hit ninth level. Combine that with Spell Genius would be pretty good.

Ok I am perhaps not getting Spell Genius.
    On a Sorcerer how many spells of each level would it had over a non-genius Sorcerer? Because I am imagining its like a FCB from PF which allows a Human Sorcerer to add a new spell known every level.
    Last edited by TheAlmightyKue; 2019-09-16 at 04:58 PM.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

Edit: Also, after this first dungeon you could take Leadership and get an Artificer Cohort.
    Perfect! I can get the Librarian as my cohort and he can sit in his special teleporting section of the castle and do his own thing. Then I can commission the items from the game for him to make.
    Last edited by MinotaurWarblad; 2019-09-16 at 04:58 PM.

5. - Top - End - #215

Oh, so the bizarre race I've chosen gives me Blindsight. Does that become Blindsense instead, because I don't think 3.5e has Blindsight?

Also my character will be blind, so that'll be weird to work with.
    Avatar kindly provided by TinyMushroom!

6. - Top - End - #216

Quote Originally Posted by TheAlmightyKue View Post
    Ok I am perhaps not getting Spell Genius.
    On a Sorcerer how many spells of each level would it had over a non-genius Sorcerer? Because I am imagining its like a FCB from PF which allows a Human Sorcerer to add a new spell known every level.
    At level 6 you would know 6 extra spells. 3 of them level 1 spells, 2 level 2 spells, and one level 3 spell. At level 20 you will know 20 extra spells.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevesciguy View Post
    Oh, so the bizarre race I've chosen gives me Blindsight. Does that become Blindsense instead, because I don't think 3.5e has Blindsight?
    Blindsight exists in 3.5. Blindsense is a weaker version, which only gives you the square things are in, they retain a 50% miss chance. Blindsight is as good as (colourblind) sight. Plus they both see through basic invisibility.
    Throw the dice high.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Dwarf in the Playground

Oh so it does work like a FCB for Bards and Sorcerers in PF. I am not sure how I feel about that lol

I might consider the Bard for a Petal, imagining a little fey creature humming to herself is a thing I can live with.
    So two spell genius grants 12 spells known 6 level 1, 4 level 2, and 2 level 3. I probably wouldn't even consider that broken really.

I'll have to actually consider doing just 3.5

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

Probably a silly request, but could I use Cheater Feat ti apply Collegiate Wizard benefits (sort of) to a spontaneous caster class? Fits the background of the character im going for, and while it's a lot of potential spells known it's not granting extra slots the way Spell Genius does...
    (WW/Mafia) Mansion Murder Mystery is recruiting!

Current Avatar (Sunny and Violet) was created by the incredibly talented AsteriskAmp.
    Many thanks!

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    Plus one if you stick to 3.5 material, no homebrew, no Pathfinder.

I'm not using eithet PF nor Homebrew... ONLY 3.5 do I get an extra Boon?

Quote Originally Posted by MinotaurWarblad View Post
    Welp... I feel less original now for making a vampire character when others are making vampires (especially with Homebrew named after Castlevania titles and such), but I am not switching my concept. I've wanted to play Alucard in D&D for years.
    I got to be honest, I picked Half Vampire moslty for crunch than fluff. Can't find another template that fits... But not entirely sold on the Vampire thing.

10. - Top - End - #220

Blindsight exists in 3.5. Blindsense is a weaker version, which only gives you the square things are in, they retain a 50% miss chance.
    Oh, I thought it got replaced. Alright then.

Blindsight is as good as (colourblind) sight.
    The 60 foot limit will still be weird, though

11. - Top - End - #221

I might consider the Bard for a Petal, imagining a little fey creature humming to herself is a thing I can live with.
    So two spell genius grants 12 spells known 6 level 1, 4 level 2, and 2 level 3. I probably wouldn't even consider that broken really.
    Do note, Bards have slower access to higher level spells, so while a Bard would remain tier 3, for one pick of Spell Genius you'd actually get one extra cantrip at level 1, two extra 1st level spells for levels 2-3, and three extra 2nd level spells for levels 4-6.
    Goes well with Precocious Apprentice, I suppose.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    Probably a silly request, but could I use Cheater Feat ti apply Collegiate Wizard benefits (sort of) to a spontaneous caster class? Fits the background of the character im going for, and while it's a lot of potential spells known it's not granting extra slots the way Spell Genius does...
    Nah. Definite no on that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Auranghzeb View Post
    I'm not using eithet PF nor Homebrew... ONLY 3.5 do I get an extra Boon?
    Yep.
    I got to be honest, I picked Half Vampire moslty for crunch than fluff. Can't find another template that fits... But not entirely sold on the Vampire thing.
    Shun the fake! Shun! He doesn't belieeeeve!
    What flavour would you like to go for? Maybe we can find something.
    Or you could trade each LA for two feats or a +2 to an ability score.
    Last edited by FearlessGnome; 2019-09-16 at 05:30 PM.
    Throw the dice high.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Dwarf in the Playground

You all could always use this vampire template instead.

A lot more game friendly imo.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Dwarf in the Playground

Do note, Bards have slower access to higher level spells, so while a Bard would remain tier 3, for one pick of Spell Genius you'd actually get one extra cantrip at level 1, two extra 1st level spells for levels 2-3, and three extra 2nd level spells for levels 4-6.
    Goes well with Precocious Apprentice, I suppose.
    I'm sorry what? You said before that they would have 1 additional 3rd level and so forth.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

Zombie

Yep.

Shun the fake! Shun! He doesn't belieeeeve!
    What flavour would you like to go for? Maybe we can find something.
    Or you could trade each LA for two feats or a +2 to an ability score.
    I love the wendigo fluff. Because I want my character to have been "produced" by the meddlings of a Lich lord from Iuz having captured this rare Half-Dragon Karsite and wanting to turn him into a weapon against other spellcasters, an assassin. But Kiro struggled against the ravenous nature of the wendigo and has rebbeled against the Lich.

The problem is the Wendigo does no have an LA assigned so the closest I found were Spellwarped(highly redundant with Karsite), Half-Vampire and Ghoulish (But I really don't want to play an undead.

15. - Top - End - #225

If you use the Divine Boost to increase Intelligence, does it give you more skill points, or is it like an Enhancement bonus?

16. - Top - End - #226

I'm sorry what? You said before that they would have 1 additional 3rd level and so forth.
    Perhaps I mixed up and misunderstood. A level 6 Bard doesn't know any third level spells and doesn't have any third level spell slots. Spell Genius doesn't give you access to higher level spells than you can normally cast. It just lets you learn more spells of levels you can already cast. A Sorcerer can learn a third level spell at level 6. A wizard can learn a third level spell at level 5. A Bard learns their first third level spell at level 7. Spell Genius does not change that.
    If you use the Divine Boost to increase Intelligence, does it give you more skill points, or is it like an Enhancement bonus?
    It's a real +10, so does come with extra skill points.
    Last edited by FearlessGnome; 2019-09-16 at 05:49 PM.
    Throw the dice high.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Dwarf in the Playground

Perhaps I mixed up and misunderstood. A level 6 Bard doesn't know any third level spells and doesn't have any third level spell slots. Spell Genius doesn't give you access to higher level spells than you can normally cast. It just lets you learn more spells of levels you can already cast. A Sorcerer can learn a third level spell at level 6. A wizard can learn a third level spell at level 5. A Bard learns their first third level spell at level 7. Spell Genius does not change that.
    Oh right sorry was still thinking of Sorcerer then. Hmm I have to admit that loss in spells was always such a pain. But doable.

On a little side note. Generic classes are allowed? Would you be ok with the bonus feats being used for class features other than whats listed (Which states its not an exhaustive list)

18. - Top - End - #228
    Firbolg in the Playground

I went half vampire for fluff reasons... In world my character's mom was a vampire of sorts.
    Blarg...

19. - Top - End - #229

OldWizardGuy

While race-wise my character is a human (LA traded for +4 Con), my otherworldly things are reflected in the classes. He came from a mundane earth, but when Nurgle yanked him into the warp and stuffed a Beast inside of him it work out his latent Pariah gene. Sure, the resulting spiritual explosion didn't kill him, but the resulting half baked and somewhat insane fellow is left trying to regain his mind after it was shredded rather badly, all the while absorbing and assimilating the essence of Nurgles realm.

For some reason, there just wasn't a template that felt right to try and convey that :P
    Summer Job has started, and eats a lot of time, particularly on weekends. Replies my be delayed.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Posting interest, but not entirely sure what path I want to take for the character.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwarforged View Post
    You sir are a True Pirate Lord.

21. - Top - End - #231

+5LA for Vampire. +5 on top of that for Vampire Lord. You can eat into one side of the gestalt to pay for LA if you want, but everyone else is just buying more free LA with Metamorphosis, I think.
    Oh. I thought that was 5 LA for both of them together. I'll probably do something like the Metamorphosis method too.

22. - Top - End - #232

Ok, build is settled. Final version is Psion 5/Metamind 1//Evolutionist 6. Magical Bull**** Points were spent on Divine Boost(Int), Complete Prestige, and either All the Feats or Font of Power. That last one I'm still debating.

Extra feats are very nice. But the possibility of getting the Metamind capstone twice a day is also very nice. Hard to decide. Is there any possibility of getting more of these abilities in-game, or are they fixed once we start?

Link to very WIP character sheet:
    Eldritch Jellyfish

Edit: I have named it 'Cube'
    Last edited by Stevesciguy; 2019-09-16 at 08:23 PM.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Ack! Vampirism is spreading like... well, like the vampires are feeding on the rest of the PC submissions, I guess. So, spreading in an accurate manner then?
    Anyhow, I think I'll revert back to the Vitalist route to help un-crowd the growing vampire group
    Especially since upon reflection I can pretty easily fluff the character into something like a Blue Lantern. I may drop Healer though, Vitalist does it better, and a redundant 5th tier class holds back other, more interesting things the character could be doing.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

If you were well rested and didn't expend abilities the day before, an 8 hour rest is enough to refresh uses. Once you refresh, 24 hours have to pass before they can refresh again. Time of day is not a factor.

Too big to count as a simple fix, it's a homebrew reworking of the class.

3.5 templates are fine.

There are little closed off versions of most of the planes accompanying this world. You could still be banished to the local plane of shadow.

Freedom of Movement is pretty broad, so I wouldn't give you a blank check to override it, but you could pick the Pierce Immunity power to pick something more narrow, like being able to Grapple anything, even things that are under Freedom of Movement. Depending on exactly what your 'movement hampering' is, it may be narrow enough to qualify.

The books are fine, although if I remember correctly the latest one updated stuff from earlier versions, so with conflicting wordings, go with the latest one.

Yes, but again a lot of it is updated or reprinted in official 3.5. Spell Focus for example got nerfed to half strength, so no picking 3.0 Spell Focus etc.

Yes, if the enemy didn't smash you to pieces really quickly. When initiative rolls back to you, your turn ends and you recover.

Gonna need a more narrow question. I have not run into any major issues with illusion rules before, so not sure what needs clarifying. You can't get more than 100% quasi real things, I guess.
    The bypass to FoM for movement hampering abilities is more likely aim towards immobilization, effects that anchor someone in place and grapple.

Spirits: Is it possible to just stick with limited d20pfsrd list? So much nerf to the spirits that I want to play that it becomes a suboptimal class.

Illusion rules: The issue is that DMs that I played with often have the enemies disbelief the illusion with at first sight such as recognizing an illusion at first glance and hurling a stone through them. I am not sure if it is the same in your game because enemies/rules differ with different DM.
    Last edited by Yas392; 2019-09-16 at 08:08 PM.
    "Everything in creation is flawed. Humans don't need to be mentioned. Air, intent, and even time. My eyes can see the death of things. They're special, like yours. So I can kill anything that lives. Even if that thing is God."

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

Tara Wilkins, the standard isekai protagonist (and non-vampire), is ready to go. If she doesn't fit with the tone (the thread title suggested a little bit of tongue-cheek) I can rewrite the part that doesn't.

Incidentally, if the Phrenic template is not something the DM is comfortable with due to it making some use of Psionics, I'm totally willing to trade it out for something else. With free LA, it's a template that always seemed fun and interesting.
    Last edited by Esprit15; 2019-09-16 at 08:11 PM.
    Awesome avatar by Cuthalion

Spoiler: Old Avatars
    Show

By Ceika, Ceika, Linklel (Except for one that appears to be lost to time)

26. - Top - End - #236
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Esprit15 View Post
    Tara Wilkins, the standard isekai protagonist (and non-vampire), is ready to go. If she doesn't fit with the tone (the thread title suggested a little bit of tongue-cheek) I can rewrite the part that doesn't.

Incidentally, if the Phrenic template is not something the DM is comfortable with due to it making some use of Psionics, I'm totally willing to trade it out for something else.
    To be fair I am the one choosing to forgot Erudite because it can be complicated. Though I have stumbled upon a Wizarding thingie and trying to decide if Primrose would be a bookworm lol

27. - Top - End - #237
    Troll in the Playground

Perhaps in a bit. For now though..

Characters being offered up to the sacrifice

Majin
    Sheet
    Special Ability 2 slots: Tristault
    Low Tier Ability 2 slots: Quadsault
    Only 3.5 Material: Paragon? or All the skills?
    Will have to adjust Majin to match the rules, but he's pretty close as it is.
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

28. - Top - End - #238
    Dwarf in the Playground

Last edited by Scarlet Thirst; 2019-09-29 at 11:23 PM.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ettin in the Playground

You can definitely have all three of these. Feel free to add some small and largely harmless pet that the scary ghost has befriended if you want.
    Master Boojie the budgerigar.

Spoiler: I've had almost as much fun with this as with the main character.
    Show
    Master Boojie the Budgie first joined Hart a short time after his arrival in this world ... well, "joined" might be stretching the term a bit, it's more like "started following around like a superfan whose adorableness is fully offset by the annoying, self-centered trouble he makes". Hart's aura is Master Boojie's favorite thing EVER, better than TREATS, ooh can I have a treat? pretty birdy treat?

... But I digress. The budgerigar experienced Hart's supernatural rebuke and his healing aura back-to-back and has apparently decided that he's gonna stick by Hart come hell or hurricane. Ghosts are tricky about slipping away unnoticed, yet somehow Master Boojie always finds him within a day or so. Aside from when Hart accidentally or "accidentally" leaves him behind, Master Boojie does excuse himself in one other circumstance: battle. Pretty birdy is also SMART birdie, smart enough to get the hell away in the most expeditious way when the fireballs start flying.

Some of Hart's divinely granted magic seems to be rubbing off on the bird, who has powers that are, shall we say, uncommon to Order Psittaciformes. He uses the charming magic constantly, the breaking magic when frustrated or to get at hidden caches of food, and the Color-Beyond-Colors Ray Of Death magic almost never. Skipping town is vastly preferable to remaining in a fight.

Player Character Alignment
    Morbis Meh Maggs LE
    Auranghzeb Kiro LN
    Sutr unnamed ??
    dragonsamurai77 Nabaru NG
    Unavenger Micah CG
    Ancient K8-T neutral
    Warmatt Malog CN
    Hellfire014 Emiko LN
    Dimers Hart exalted CG
    Esprit Tara NG
    Ryton Livia ??
    Stevesciguy Cube neutral
    Triskavanski Majin ??
    Scarlet Thirst Jett LN
    MinotaurWarblad Alucard NG
    Last edited by Dimers; 2019-09-16 at 11:24 PM.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

30. - Top - End - #240

Oh right sorry was still thinking of Sorcerer then. Hmm I have to admit that loss in spells was always such a pain. But doable.

On a little side note. Generic classes are allowed? Would you be ok with the bonus feats being used for class features other than whats listed (Which states its not an exhaustive list)
    Generic Classes are allowed, but they're a bit openended. I'm not very keen on expanding the list of class features. If there is something specific you want you may be able to buy it with a point, regardless of class.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aegis013 View Post
    Posting interest, but not entirely sure what path I want to take for the character.
    Welcome to the recruitment thread for our little game of Dungeons & Dracula.
    Is there any possibility of getting more of these abilities in-game, or are they fixed once we start?
    It's possible, but it won't happen soon. You should probably expect to get access to Leadership and politicking within factions or nations that try to recruit you before you get your hands on such a grand prize as another special power point.

Or maybe not. If the most fun path ahead calls for some or all the players to get another point, it may happen sooner. The current plan has them pretty hard to get, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yas392 View Post
    The bypass to FoM for movement hampering abilities is more likely aim towards immobilization, effects that anchor someone in place and grapple.
    I'd say Grapple or immobilization is fine. For two picks you could have both, but I realize that gets expensive fast. Casters realizing their FoM won't protect them makes alarm bells go off in their head pretty quickly, though.

Spirits: Is it possible to just stick with limited d20pfsrd list? So much nerf to the spirits that I want to play that it becomes a suboptimal class.
    Sure, if that's what you want.

Illusion rules: The issue is that DMs that I played with often have the enemies disbelief the illusion with at first sight such as recognizing an illusion at first glance and hurling a stone through them. I am not sure if it is the same in your game because enemies/rules differ with different DM.
    Well, if the enemy is intelligent they will certainly be suspicious of things that look real but shouldn't reasonably be there, but I won't metagame. Understand though that the most powerful people in this world are almost all summons like you, with extensive experience going into dungeons and encountering traps and ambushes and every tactic under the sun. Throwing rocks and sending out minions and summoned beasts before going into dangerous situations is second nature to them. Unintelligent monsters and less experienced heroes are less shrewd, of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by Esprit15 View Post

Incidentally, if the Phrenic template is not something the DM is comfortable with due to it making some use of Psionics, I'm totally willing to trade it out for something else. With free LA, it's a template that always seemed fun and interesting.
    Phrenic is fine, very simple and can be stapled to pretty much anything. No problem.

As for the tone of the campaign, I'll certainly start off not terribly serious, but I'm happy to let the atmosphere go where the players want it over time.
    Throw the dice high.