The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 91 to 120 of 133
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: EarthenRite's Paper Chase IC

    He nods as if you seem to be making his own point for him. "That's why there a bunch a good-for-nothing jibber-jabbers!" He shakes his head, "There ain't nothin' nothin' at all in my cemetery!" He then ruefully wags his fist.
    ----

    Please give me a Spot Hidden roll. I'm also going to try something new, so...
    Spoiler: Successful Spot Hidden Roll
    Show
    You happen to notice a flask peeking out of the inside of his dirty jacket... huh, isn't it the 1920s?
    Spoiler: Failed Spot Hidden Roll
    Show
    You notice this man is quite dirty, presumably from all of his work in the graveyard.

    You can roll, and then subsequently edit your post to reflect the result and what you do with any information gained.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-05 at 07:02 PM.

  2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Sep 2016

    Default Re: EarthenRite's Paper Chase IC

    Spot hidden roll... (1d100)[52](52)

  3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: EarthenRite's Paper Chase IC

    Quote Originally Posted by EarthenRite View Post
    Spot hidden roll... [roll0]
    For reference, the failed result should be posted above. Open the spoiler to cover what you see. Nevertheless, I guess I'll repost it.
    ----

    You notice this man is quite dirty, presumably from all of his work in the graveyard. There isn't really anything else though of note.
    ----

    What would you like to do next?
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-06 at 01:35 PM.

  4. - Top - End - #94
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Sep 2016

    Default Re: EarthenRite's Paper Chase IC

    I’ll take one walk around the cemetery to see if I notice anything interesting, then get ready for the “stakeout”

  5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: EarthenRite's Paper Chase IC

    Please give me an Extreme Spot Hidden roll combined with a Track roll where only one is required (this means you make a d100 roll and I compare it to both an Extreme Spot Hidden and Track, and if one of those is successful the roll as a whole is successful) along with an Intelligence (Idea) roll.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-06 at 08:23 PM.

  6. - Top - End - #96
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Sep 2016

    Default Re: EarthenRite's Paper Chase IC

    Hmm ok...

    Spot Hidden / Track - (1d100)[9](9)
    Idea - (1d100)[77](77)

  7. - Top - End - #97
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: EarthenRite's Paper Chase IC

    Wow... well then. You succeeded in Track and the Idea roll, so... well done!
    ----

    The first thing that comes to your mind is the fact that Jefferson kept talking about the "Arnoldsberg Advertisements." Presumably he meant the Arnoldsberg Advertiser, which, if they've been writing stories about the cemetery and him, might contain more information. The second thing that you find as you're walking around the cemetery are a set of tracks around a tomb that has been particularly worn smooth by age and weather. It's impossible to discern who's buried beneath the tomb though. The tracks themselves are incredibly strange though. They appear to have been made by man-sized bare feet that end in cloven hooves rather than toes. They lead mostly from this single tomb to a sunken mausoleum.

    As you're still poking around, Jefferson calls over, noticing your (rather odd from an observer's point of view given that you're getting down on the ground and looking around and whatnot) movements. "Er... can I help ya' with somethin' bud, is everything a-ok?"

    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-06 at 08:55 PM.

  8. - Top - End - #98
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Sep 2016

    Default Re: EarthenRite's Paper Chase IC

    “Everything is quite alright; just admiring some of the sights here. Pray tell, whose tomb is this?”

    Victor gestures towards the tomb that has the footsteps outside it, though he does not call attention to them.

  9. - Top - End - #99
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: EarthenRite's Paper Chase IC

    Melodias Jefferson comes over to have a better look. He then turns his head to the side and shakes his head. “Sorry, can’t say I recall, bud. My pa would’ve know for shore. Funny you ask about this place tomb though. Brings back memories.” He looks off towards the faded tombstone seemingly in remembrance of something. “Sorry I can’t be of more help, bud.

  10. - Top - End - #100
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Sep 2016

    Default Re: EarthenRite's Paper Chase IC

    “What sort of memories, if it’s not too personal of a question?”

  11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: EarthenRite's Paper Chase IC

    The gardener shrugs, "Nah, you're all good, bud. It's just, ah, most people don't go poking around in my graveyard, eh? 'Cept Mr. Kimball, he'd always come over, sit on that stone right there." Mr. Jefferson points to the single tomb the tracks seemed to be centered around. "And the man would read, for long times too. Struck up a couple of conversations, I did, that's for shore. (yes) He'd always be talkin' about foreign lands n' the like. But, he was right old man; I miss seeing him nowadays." He then shakes his head and turns back towards you. "Well, sorry I couldn't be of help concernin' the stone, but I'd best be gettin' on back to work. Always a hard day's work for me, I say."

  12. - Top - End - #102
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Sep 2016

    Default Re: EarthenRite's Paper Chase IC

    “Of course, I understand completely. Have a good day, Mr. Jefferson. I trust you won’t mind if I spend a little more time here? I won’t bother you.”

    Victor will smile and wait until the man is out of sight then check his pockets and the immediate surroundings for a matchbook or a lantern of some kind. Regardless, he is going to try to open up the tomb that the tracks lead into a little ways, just to explore a little bit inside, looking ideally for signs of Kimball’s disappearance.

    He’s currently formulating a hypothesis. Six tomes,’with no seeming rhyme or reason, a lack of damage, and a “cemetery secret” is sounding less and less like a robbery and more like Kimball coming back to get his property, somehow.

  13. - Top - End - #103
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: EarthenRite's Paper Chase IC

    You could probably pick up a lantern and matches at the Kimball residence.
    ----

    Arnoldsberg, 5:06 PM, October 2nd, 1921

    Mr. Jefferson bids you farewell and notes that you can stay for however long you want. He then returns to his work. Meanwhile, you head off to pick up the desired equipment and return with that in tow. It doesn't take too long to gather everything and you get back to the mausoleum with everything ready. However, as you try and open it, you find that the mausoleum entrance has basically gotten sucked into the ground. Nevertheless, you think you might be able to get it open.
    ----

    Please give me a Strength roll.

  14. - Top - End - #104
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Sep 2016

    Default Re: EarthenRite's Paper Chase IC

    Not my forte but...hopefully!

    (1d100)[82](82)

  15. - Top - End - #105
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: EarthenRite's Paper Chase IC

    Arnoldsberg, 5:28 PM, October 2nd, 1921

    You try and you try to get the mausoleum open. Every now and then Jefferson just sort of stares at you a bit strangely and mutters something under his breath.
    ----

    Please give me a Listen roll.
    Spoiler: Successful Listen Roll
    Show
    You hear him mutter "N' they say I'm the drunkard."

    ----

    Meanwhile, you realize that you're probably not going to be able to get this mausoleum open without some way of getting leverage, a crowbar perhaps? Nevertheless, you'd have to get one somehow. Then again, the mausoleum is pretty deep, and you might apply too much force to whatever you use as leverage.
    ----

    You may now Push the roll with the rationale being that you're getting some kind of tool.

  16. - Top - End - #106
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Sep 2016

    Default Re: EarthenRite's Paper Chase IC

    Might as well give it another shot with the crowbar. I think this is a strong lead.

    Listen check - (1d100)[71](71)
    Strength check - (1d100)[36](36)

    I hear nothing but it looks like I’m able to pry the door!
    Last edited by EarthenRite; 2019-10-09 at 08:07 PM.

  17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: EarthenRite's Paper Chase IC

    Arnoldsberg, 5:49 PM, October 2nd, 1921

    You head over to the Kimball household in order to borrow a crowbar. Thomas and Mary give you a quick wave as they seem to be preparing dinner with a quick question of if you'll also be eating with them (no need to RP this out). You then return to the cemetery and push all of your weight against the crowbar, and the leverage seems to work! You're able to pry the door out of the earth and heave it open. However, as you do, the combined stench of rotten eggs, dead bodies, and wet mud is released. You suddenly begin to heave and become incredibly woozy as the world spins.
    ----

    Please give me a Constitution roll to retain consciousness.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-09 at 10:07 PM.

  18. - Top - End - #108
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Sep 2016

    Default Re: EarthenRite's Paper Chase IC

    Constitution Roll - (1d100)[15](15)

  19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: EarthenRite's Paper Chase IC

    You manage to quickly hold your breath and fight through it. As the haze dissipates, you see before you, inside of the mausoleum, is a strange tunnel, seemingly hand-dug through the thin layer of foundation that leads deep into the earth below... Does Victor wish to go down into the darkness?

  20. - Top - End - #110
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Sep 2016

    Default Re: EarthenRite's Paper Chase IC

    Hmmm well, just in case, as long as it is still *day* outside and I have the lantern and the crowbar...yes. Victor is really believing (hoping?) there is a mundane explanation for all of this! The hoofprints are a bit concerning...but still...

  21. - Top - End - #111
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: EarthenRite's Paper Chase IC

    It shall be daytime for an hour or so.
    ——

    You head down and brave the depths of the tunnels. With your crowbar in one hand, and your lantern in the other, it’s a bit of a tight fit, but nevertheless, you persist. You soon, however become somewhat disoriented, as the tunnels have begun twisting and turning, you’ve reached several dead ends, and more. Could you become lost in here?
    ——

    Please give me a Navigate roll.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-10 at 09:17 PM.

  22. - Top - End - #112
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Sep 2016

    Default Re: EarthenRite's Paper Chase IC

    Hmmm well, that might be bad!

    (1d100)[17](17)

  23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: EarthenRite's Paper Chase IC

    You begin to explore the tunnel, heading deeper and deeper within its depths. You make one turn which you thought would lead you back to the surface, and then suddenly you're at a dead end. Your lantern is lighting the way, but you honestly have no idea where you are. You try and find your way out, the tunnels must lead somewhere, right? More time passes and you have no idea how long you've been down here. As you press through yet another passageway you suddenly see a horrid sight: the lifeless body of a raccoon sits in the middle of the tunnel, with its ribcage entirely ripped open and maggots crawling in and out. You feel your body heave as this horrid sight overwhelms you.

    Spoiler: Successful Sanity Roll
    Show
    You feel like you're going to wretch, but you keep it down, it's just a dead raccoon, nothing to be terrified of. You're sure it died of natural causes and some sort of other predator came down to finish the job. Nevertheless, you need to press on, so you gingerly step over the carcass and continue.
    Spoiler: Failed Sanity Roll
    Show
    You have failed a sanity roll, which means you will take an Involuntary Action of my choosing.
    ----

    You hurl your lunch out onto the tunnel floor in front of you as you see this grisly sight, the worms crawling, the shape of the injury, this is horrible and disgusting. Nevertheless, you need to push on so you gingerly move around the puddle of your own making and the carcass and continue.
    ----

    You lose 1 point of sanity.
    ----

    I'm going to stop here for a moment, because the next part is important.

  24. - Top - End - #114
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Sep 2016

    Default Re: EarthenRite's Paper Chase IC

    Ohhhh a sanity roll is never good.

    (1d100)[19](19)

    The poor creature. Certainly there’s some foxes or somesuch down here that made the poor thing its lunch.
    Last edited by EarthenRite; 2019-10-12 at 01:32 PM.

  25. - Top - End - #115
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: EarthenRite's Paper Chase IC

    You press on, and you soon manage to find your way out of these godforsaken tunnels, and you emerge... back in the graveyard? You look up and by this time it's quite late at night, how long have you been down there? In all honesty, you have no idea. You try to get your bearings as you brandish your light around. Suddenly, your light falls on... something, a figure in the graveyard is sitting reading a book against the same gravestone which Mr. Jefferson mentioned Douglas Kimball reading at. Next to the figure is a stack of books as well. "I knew I felt some vibrations in the tunnels... Hello."
    Your light falls on the creature as you see its rubbery skin, its hoof-like feet, canine features, terribly sharp claws, and yet, without a doubt, this creature... is Douglas Kimball.


    ----

    Please give me a(nother) Sanity roll as you see this utterly inhuman sight.

  26. - Top - End - #116
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Sep 2016

    Default Re: EarthenRite's Paper Chase IC

    I think I’ll roll the sanity check before I type anything for Victor’s reaction. I have something I’d love him to say if the sanity passes! Edit: Yay!

    (1d100)[48](48)

    Victor opens and closes his mouth a few times before speaking, unsure what exactly to make of...whatever this is.

    “Mr. Kimball, I presume? I trust you are enjoying Dracula? It is one of my favourites, too. I...should tell you I have been employed to investigate the theft of those books. Though...I see now there has been no theft, if you are indeed who you seem.
    Last edited by EarthenRite; 2019-10-12 at 01:59 PM.

  27. - Top - End - #117
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: EarthenRite's Paper Chase IC

    That is also a success, well done!
    ----

    You shake your head, this wasn't at all what you were imagining, and you cannot help but breathe heavily, but you steel yourself against the sight, you must maintain a proper composure. The creature nods appraisingly, "Indeed, although I am afraid that I have listened to them, the children of the night over fifty times at this point. I was in need of some... new material." He holds up the book he was reading as evidence.
    As you mention the "theft" the creature that was and might still be Douglas makes a rather surprised expression. "Hmmm... Thomas noticed that? I had hoped that he would not notice my 'intrusion' into my own dwelling." He then looks towards the pile of books and extends a rubbery claw. "So who do I have the pleasure of meeting?" The sheer presence of this being makes your skin crawl, but you manage to repress such thoughts (definitely healthy).

  28. - Top - End - #118
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Sep 2016

    Default Re: EarthenRite's Paper Chase IC

    Victor struggles internally being confronted by such...deformity. But perhaps that was all it was? His parents had been insistent in his youth not to judge by appearance, and so he was trying. It did not diminish his curiousity or make him disregard some semblance of caution.

    “My name is Victor; by trade, a dealer in antiques. Books especially. More recently I am pursuing some other lines of income and work...most recently taking on this particular case, as it were. Mr. Kimball, please do not think me too forward, but given the...context of our meeting, I believe you will forgive me: what is your...condition?”

  29. - Top - End - #119
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: EarthenRite's Paper Chase IC

    Sorry if I didn't make it clear, but he extended his hand for you to shake it. Based on your inner-monologue, I assume you would accept it.
    ----

    You grasp its hand as suddenly you cannot help but gather the sensation that the rubbery material is consuming you, dragging you inside to be devoured. Instantly you instinctively pull back your arm in fright and surprise... what is this?
    The creature nods and notes, "Why that's splendid, I was friends with many in your occupational field, and happened to pick up several little tidbits about caring for books as well, such as proper resins to use for sealing, implements..." it then pauses, blinks and chuckles, a deep guttural noise, "but you would know such things. I am sorry, I tend to get ahead of myself. But yes, answers."
    The creature that was at one point Douglas Kimball, but still might be, straightens its back and clears its throat. "I'm afraid, my good antiquarian, sir, that I was just too tired of my mundane existence among... well... all of you. The only thing which I desired was to be left alone and to read my books." It subsequently looks down at the pile of books which it "stole."
    "I wished for this, and yet no matter what would happen, everyone would be constantly making demands on me, sending me mail, bills, and whatnot." it then looks towards the mausoleum into which you delved. "So I ventured below, and now life is splendid. I need not for money, suits are not required for a dinner, I don't have to meet people, although being around the others is fine at mealtimes, and most importantly... I may read whenever I want." The creature smiles as it makes that last declaration, showing a row of massively sharp knives for teeth, and you get a feeling that if it wanted to, it could most likely bite a chunk of your head off.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-12 at 06:23 PM.

  30. - Top - End - #120
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Sep 2016

    Default Re: EarthenRite's Paper Chase IC

    There is a moment of shock at the disparity of what he is seeing versus what he is hearing. If he closed his eyes, this conversation would be a normal day for him. If he were to close off his ears, his animal brain would make him run. For now, the tension between the two kept him normal.

    “I see...I apologize, then, for having intruded. You understand I had no idea what I would find. Rightfully, I am in the employ of Thomas and must make my final reporting to him. I can only assume you wish to maintain your mysterious ‘disappearance’.”

    Victor considers for a moment.

    “Perhaps, sir, there is a way to accomplish a solution that will please all involved. Would you be amenable to a proposition?”

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •