The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default EarthenRite's Paper Chase OOC

Greetings EarthenRite, and welcome back to the world of Call of Cthulhu, a world of horror, mystery, and wonder. Here you shall take on the role of an intrepid Investigator of the Unknown (or Investigator for short), while I shall be the Keeper of Arcane Lore (or the Keeper).

Now that you've understood the basic rules and themeatic aspects of the game, having played the introductory adventure. Prepare to journey onto your first freeform scenario (it's probably you've done other ones given your experience, but it's more fun if I make it cool) -- Paper Chase! This is a mystery set in 1921 where you are the main character. For the purposes of guiding you, I may very rarely make small notes at the bottom of my posts, but these will be far more rare than before, so I hope you're prepared to think for yourself!

Anyway, without further ado, tuck yourself in, grab a bowl of popcorn, and join the In-Character!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: EarthenRite's Paper Chase OOC

Now, I have a quick question for you to answer: What emotion best describes Victor? Find one primary emotion he expresses. Try to use a colorful, specific word to describe it. For instance, instead of “angry” you might say “vengeful” or “raging,” or instead of happy you might say “cheerful” or “exhalting.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

When I saw this question...”fastidious” jumped to mind

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Intriguing, hopefully said detailed attention is spent on my incredibly long monologues of description (I'm being facetious of course, nobody should pay that much attention ). Now onto the next question: What emotion does Victor evoke in others? How do others react to him? Does he impress, scare, calm, excite, or perhaps annoy? Again try to find the most specific term you can. Is this reaction different between his friends and enemies? If so, what is the difference, and why is that difference there?

5. - Top - End - #5

Beholder

Given the stats I made, I feel Victor casts a rather “Byronic hero” feel, slightly haunted but strangely alluring. He is bookish, but of a vaguely “poetic” nature. Friends are intrigued, and often subject to his social charms. He is easy to like, but also easily absorbed into work, whatever work that happens to be. Especially now that he has lived through one near death experience.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Sounds good, just a couple more now. What does Victor need most? This is not his goal as a person, but it's kind of like what he needs. If he had everything he needed, why go on an adventure? Most people’s needs are fairly universal (food, water, etc...), although they can change over time. Common additional needs are survival, security, companionship, esteem, romance, family, or wisdom. Consider what Victor's starting needs are, and where you want them to be by the end of the semi-campaign. This (again) is not necessarily a goal, but something he needs. For example, someone might start off with a basic need for physical security, but then that expands into companionship and security in one's relationships, etc...

7. - Top - End - #7

Beholder

I think his needs would be between the two poles of recognition (within his field...which may be changing, as the game plays, from his trade to investigation) and relationships (his near death experience and the “loneliness” of his experience in Emberhead is making him reach out for human companionship) if those make sense.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by EarthenRite View Post
    I think his needs would be between the two poles of recognition (within his field...which may be changing, as the game plays, from his trade to investigation) and relationships (his near death experience and the “loneliness” of his experience in Emberhead is making him reach out for human companionship) if those make sense.
    Awesome, yeah that definitely makes sense. So I guess he sorta needs companionship and this club would probably be a way of satisfying that need. So now that we've established what they need as a human, let's figure out what their goal is. This should be the principle, underlying motivation for everything Victor thinks, says, and does. If he was lying on the brink of death, what makes him cling to life? What could Victor lose that he would consider worse than death? This goal is often broad, and sometimes unachievable. Whatever the nature of the goal, it should be something Victor can strive for his entire life. The best goals are ones that can be threatened, as they will help create more compelling adventures. Ideas include justice, revenge, protecting loved ones, redeeming one’s self, or gaining some kind of power. When you think of something, ask yourself “why?” to make sure it isn’t because of some larger, more important goal.

9. - Top - End - #9

Beholder

I think there are probably two, that would compete. First, I’d say there is the goal of “redeeming” himself for what happened at Emberhead - he feels that (rightly or wrongly) the deaths there were his responsibility. That he couldn’t figure it out and escaped with his own hide would stick with him.

Tied to that, he would also be driven to understand the “hidden world”. He saw a glimpse and now would be compelled to know more in order to safeguard the world.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Now, the final question: How does your character believe one can redeem himself as well as safeguarding the world? This method to achieving could be equally insubstantial. Victor's methods should be strongly tied to beliefs (or lack of beliefs), and primarily be a decision of lifestyle. A character bent on revenge might consider perfecting a fighting discipline, while a character devoted to a cause might consider a religious or philosophical doctrine.

11. - Top - End - #11

Beholder

It’s through knowledge and categorizing that knowledge. Basically writing and publishing. Perhaps a periodical for likeminded individuals?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Hmmm... interesting, that'll be cool to see. Anyway, that's basically all of the character-developing questions for now, but there shall be more soon (until we have a reaaaaallllyyy fleshed out character basically )!

13. - Top - End - #13

Beholder

In case I haven’t mentioned it recently, I am *thoroughly* enjoying this series of games! Thank you

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I'm really glad that you're enjoying them, I'm having a great time running for you as well!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I realize I should ask this just for reference. What Call of Cthulhu scenarios have you played in before?

16. - Top - End - #16

Beholder

I’ve done Haunted House, but most everything else was all home-made.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Hmmm... I see. I will inform you that the next scenario after this one is The Haunting, so you may be going on a short hiatus for a little while, but as soon as the group finishes their scenario, you'll be brought back in.

18. - Top - End - #18

Beholder

The Corbitt one? I just want to make sure.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Yeah, the one in the quick-start rules.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Now, I have a quick question for you to answer: What emotion best describes Victor? Find one primary emotion he expresses. Try to use a colorful, specific word to describe it. For instance, instead of “angry” you might say “vengeful” or “raging,” or instead of happy you might say “cheerful” or “exalting."

21. - Top - End - #21

Beholder

I have been neglecting the OOC; I apologize.

Would curiousity be too mundane? Inquisitive might be better. He certainly is starting to demonstrate that more than anything else.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Inquisitive should work just fine! Now onto the next question: What emotion does Victor evoke in others? How do others react to him? Does he impress, scare, calm, excite, or perhaps annoy? Again try to find the most specific term you can. Is this reaction different between his friends and enemies? If so, what is the difference, and why is that difference there?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Ok, so you've finished this. I would normally run The Haunting next, but my only issue with that is that you've already played in it. If you feel that you forget most of it, I'd be happy to run you through it, but otherwise, I'd recommend just holding off for a bit until the first group finishes with it, and then joining back in for the next game (whatever it is). Hopefully, we keep up the momentum though whenever that occurs!

Your character sheet should be updated on the dropbox link and you can check out all of the Paper Chase threads on my SEU link in my sig.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-15 at 03:44 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24

Beholder

I would be happy to do that. I remember the “twist” of Haunted House, so I’m probably best out of that one. But, I still really would like to keep playing. I’ll keep this OOC open and wait for a post here that we are ready to begin again?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

That sounds good with me! Hopefully there won’t be too long of a wait.

26. - Top - End - #26

Beholder

Hey there! I was just curious if there was any update on timing for the next adventure? Perfectly fine if not

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

To be honest, we’re probably looking at a week or two. I hope that’s ok. Also, don’t worry, I haven’t forgotten about you!

Although in the meanwhile, could you maybe answer some OOC questions? I think I posted the next one a while back.

28. - Top - End - #28

Beholder

No worries! Like I said, I was just curious. And excited for more

29. - Top - End - #29

Beholder

And, sorry, I thought I had answered that one.

Given the stats I made, I feel Victor casts a rather “Byronic hero” feel, slightly haunted but strangely alluring. He is bookish, but of a vaguely “poetic” nature. Friends are intrigued, and often subject to his social charms. He is easy to like, but also easily absorbed into work, whatever work that happens to be. Especially now that he has lived through one near death experience.

After this current adventure, he would lean in to his friendly nature, since he seemed to have success with that. He also would have learned the Shakespearean lesson that “there is more in heaven and hell than is dreamt of in our philosophies”, so to speak. There was a “rational” monster...something that should be impossible.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

You did... and I, for some reason, started asking them again... sorry about that. Here's a new one though!

Where did Victor come from? We know he was born in Providence, but consider Victor's initial roots, before he was a teenager. These times are what shape him the most. Who were his parents? Did he live anywhere other than Providence and Plymouth? What was his family’s economic and social status? How was he educated? What were the three most important lessons he learned?