The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Masks [OOC]

1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Masks [OOC]

Please repost all details and shake out the nitty-gritty.

In addition, please include a list of important NPCs in your backstory! I'll be keeping a list, and I'll probably miss some. I've also included some NPCs of my own, in Halcyon City.

Spoiler: NPCs Of Note
    Show
    Spoiler: Dave's Dad
    Show
    Dave's dad, and a threat to reality.

Spoiler: The Spider
    Show
    Rain's mentor.

Spoiler: Mistress Mystery
    Show
    Trouble's real friend.

Mystery hero. Believes in Trouble for some reason.

Spoiler: Excalibur
    Show
    An active hero of legacy in Halcyon city.

Spoiler: Trinitor
    Show
    Daniel's dad, and an evil necromancer.

Spoiler: Mayor Meekly
    Show
    Mayor of Halcyon. An innocent and lovely man, he's woefully unprepared for his new position, but he was just so gosh-darned LIKABLE that people voted him in.

As far as anyone knows, he's genuinely a kind and considerate man who really wants what's best for the city.

Spoiler: A.E.G.I.S. Liason Todd Undertow
    Show
    A rather gruff and rough man, and Halcyon City's main liason to A.E.G.I.S.

Spoiler: Emily Smith
    Show
    Best friend. Normal rich girl who Rin lives/goes to school with.
    Rin met her at a club at a stage in her life where she was clearly going in a bad direction and probably would OD in a few months. They became friends and Rin decided to save her life by making taking drugs a revolting thought to her and nullifying her addictions so Emily could go back to having a functional life. (She was up-front about all of this, it's not some secret.)

Spoiler: Mr. And Mrs. Smith
    Show
    Two rich people Trouble used her powers on to make love her like a daughter and let her live with them.

Spoiler: Mr. And Mrs. Koyo
    Show
    Your average level sleazos that only take in foster kids for the money. Not "bad" people, but certainly not "good" ones either.

Spoiler: Riptide
    Show
    An up and coming Atlantean hero and newest member of the Halcyon's Cities most prestigious superteam, the Freedom Five.

IC Thread
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2019-09-21 at 10:01 PM.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Current Avatar by Elder Tsofu, who is awesome!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show

Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Masks [OOC]

Trouble will speak in Royal Blue.

Spoiler: Theoretical First Thoughts
    Show

Inheritor: "Ahahaha! Ohhhhhh boy! I'm gonna have SO MUCH FUN with this one!"

Rain Strider: "Quiet type I guess. Even when he doesn't really, he has that personal raincloud hovering over his head. On the plus side, I can make him sad and then make everyone slip and fall all over the place. Kyahahaha!"

Mighty: "I wonder if I can make his head explode if I make him feel joy realer than joy? Is that how this works????!???!???

Kaleida: "I humbly accept this burden of showing our guest all the little pleasures Earth has to offer. Especially the ones nobody else on this team will. *winks*"

Spoiler: Trouble NPCs
    Show

Real Parents
    Who knows!?

Unnamed Orphanage people
    People.

Emily
    Best friend. Normal rich girl who Rin lives/goes to school with.
    Rin met her at a club at a stage in her life where she was clearly going in a bad direction and probably would OD in a few months. They became friends and Rin decided to save her life by making taking drugs a revolting thought to her and nullifying her addictions so Emily could go back to having a functional life. (She was up-front about all of this, it's not some secret.)

Emily's parents
    Two rich people Trouble used her powers on to make love her like a daughter and let her live with them.

Official Foster Parents
    Your average level sleazos that only take in foster kids for the money. Not "bad" people, but certainly not "good" ones either.

Mistress Mystery
    Mystery hero. Believes in Trouble for some reason.

Let's see....

Influence over Trouble gets given to three people. I'm thinking the Mighty, Rain Strider, and Princess Kaleida.

Relationships
    You keep trying to impress _________________ with your antics.
    You and ________________ pulled an awesome (if illegal) stunt together.

I guess before determining either I should ask who feels their character would fit for the second?

Edit: A little surprised to have an IC show up before we even started answering our "How the team met" questions.
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2019-09-14 at 05:57 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Edit: Rain Strider will speak in Just grey I guess

Spoiler: In-character thoughts
    Show

Inheritor: "The whole dungeons and dragons theme his group seem to have going on strikes me as rather strange. But the public seem to love the flair so what do I know. In a sense I'm jealous of that it seems you just need to put on some flashy armor and wave a sword around to get a crowd cheering. I wouldn't do well with all those eyes on me though. Anyway the guy himself seems pretty straight lace, a real by the books kind of guy and with might like that I'm sure it works for him. I just hope he doesn't get in my way when I take less conventional means.

Trouble: "I really like Trouble, then I'm neutral on her, then I really like her, then I'm neutral. You can see that being a headache, I don't even know why it happening. Nonetheless its good to be around someone so upbeat it helps me feel as though I belong. Though I don't really get much of a word in."

Mighty: "He makes my eyes sore, not in a hes ugly kind of way like watching a bright screen in the dark for too long kind of way. I try not to look for too long but that makes me feel bad because in that sense hes similar to me and my mentor."

Kaleida:"Surprisingly I wasn't too... well surprised that aliens existed with anomalies like me and my mentor I guess that possibility seemed reasonable. But come on even the creatures from outer space are more accepted than us!? They could of at least sent the little green men fixates on probing first. Back to her, she seems cool though I don't know much about her past and culture something smells fishy about it too........ buh dum tsh sorry I'm trying to tell more jokes lately."

Spoiler: Rain Strider
    Show

Name: Michael Blackmore
    Hero Name: Rain Strider
    Playbook: Protege

Labels:
    Danger: -1
    Freak: +1
    Savior: +1
    Superior: +2
    Mundane: 0

Man
    White
    Lean Body
    School Uniform
    Simple Costume

Spoiler: Appearance
    Show

Conditions:
    Afraid
    Angry
    Guilty
    Hopeless
    Insecure

Other Status:

Influence on: TBD

Influenced by: TBD

Potential:
    o o o o o

Powers: Can harden water (and moisture) and stop it in space by touching it, rain falls when he gets emotional

Shared Ability: Intimidation and Fear
    Own Ability: Elemental Control
    Mentor's Ability: Superhuman Physique

Mentor
    Embodies: Freak
    Denies: Savior

Mentor Resources: Secret Base, Surveillance equipment, False identities

Spoiler: Moves:
    Show

Venting frustration: When you directly engage
    while you are Angry, you can roll + the Label your
    mentor denies and clear Angry.

Be mindful of your surroundings: When you
    assess the situation before entering into a fight,
    you may ask one additional question, even on a
    miss.

Been reading the files: You’ve learned about
    the superhuman world through your mentor’s
    resources. When you first encounter an important
    superpowered phenomenon (your call), roll
    + Superior. On a hit, tell the team one important
    detail you’ve learned from your studies. The GM
    will tell you what, if anything, seems different
    from what you remember. On a 10+, ask the GM
    a follow-up question; they will answer it honestly.
    On a miss, the situation is well outside your base
    of knowledge; the GM will tell you why.

Spoiler: Relationships
    Show

You and Inheritor teamed up a few times before the rest of you came together.
    Your mentor is cautious; they asked you to keep an eye on Mighty.

Influence:
    Business, give Influence to no teammates.

Spoiler: Backstory
    Show

When did you first meet your mentor?
    "When I was born it flooded, from then on I was always an outsider. Not just for my powers but the need to control my emotions to keep the rain in check had staggered my social life to a great extent. Despite wanting to live a life where I just fit in and was happy in the crowd, I soon came to realize that it would never become a reality for me. That is when I tried the vigilante thing, it was a rainy September night and I was out of my depth. It didn't take long for the thieves and thugs to overpower me. And that is when I was saved by The Spider, to this day I don't know exactly why he did it maybe its because he saw some of himself in me or maybe it was just the right place and the right time. None the less when he offered to mentor me that is when my life truly begun."
    When and why did you choose to train with them?
    "As stated earlier I can't see myself ever being normal so when a superhero especially a one as secretive and reclusive as The Spider it is not one I can turn down. We were both a like in a sense outsiders who would never really fit in with society out of the nature of our powers so we served just on the outskirts of it. We operate as a stealth team his ability to crawl along wall and enhanced strength and my ability to walk on the rain made us perfect for it. A symbol of fear for criminals who operate at night and the less we showed ourselves the more effective we were."
    Why did they agree to train you?
    "Although he never stated it directly there was always the direct message of 'we will never be accepted by people, the difference between a superhero and a unhinged vigilante is all about how the public perceives you. And they can be fickle especially when it comes to appearances. Its better to stay in the shadows to serve than save people in the public spotlight for heroes like us.' As I said before I think he saw a lot of himself in me, he never said it directly but I think he wants to protect me from the dangers of putting myself out like that.
    Who else, outside of the team, knows about your training?
    "My parents don't know about. I was born into a wealthy family but because of my powers they bought a cabin a bit outside of the city to live in as it was easier to deal with me like that. I was moved out when I was eight and despite the occasional visits I rarely ever see them. The house keeper to the cabin, Carla Ford, became more of a mother to me than my biological one and she is the only one I trust with such a secret. Though I can't be certain if she told my parents or not."
    Why do you care about the team?
    "In a plea to come into my own as a hero I asked The Spider to join a team of heroes. He had his apprehensions about the situation but eventually agreed but made me promise not to expose myself to much to the limelight. I do truly want to save people and maybe through that find acceptance and a place in society or maybe my mentors correct and people won't like me for my surface elements. But there's no way to find out if I don't go for it and I guess some promises are made to be broken."

Theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3VgV31vmUE

Well we should probably sort out relationships, influences and how we came together questions

My questions are
    You and ____________________ teamed up a few times before the rest of you came together.
    Your mentor is cautious; they asked you to keep an eye on __________________.

I'm thinking Inheritor for the first, as a shadowy organisation is exactly the thing The Spider would be investigating somewhat.

The second could be any except for Trouble as The Spider probably wouldn't be cautious of her.
    Last edited by Jumbus; 2019-09-16 at 11:30 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Princess Kaleida

Spoiler: In Character Reactions
    Show

Earth
    "I don't like Earth all that much. It is strange, cold planet with only ONE sun...which disappears for half a rotation and then it get's even colder! And if it wasn't for the other stuff...I'd leave and go to Venus maybe. However...humans are so interesting they are so squishy, they can't fly, they can't shapeshift (well most of them anyway) and haven't unlocked FTL, but somehow they're doing just fine. They're so much more diverse. Like, did you know they have...what are they called? Genders? It's so strange...like why would you have one entire half of the species that is unable to birth children? Now to the good stuff though...by galrash food! What a great invention! On Tyrok we just fed on our triple suns and beyond that we had our Solar chambers. But radiation doesn't really have a taste...anyway...what I also really like is the biodiversity. It really helps with shifting. On Tyrok there is only us and plant life there are some insects and microbes, but big animals. Like...HAVE YOU SEEN AN ELEPHANT! That is so weird and strange and..." turns nose into trunk and back again

Inheritor
    "He is one of those males...he seems dedicated to his duty and his father is a villain. That's what the rebels called my mothers. He reminds me of the Tyrokyan Royal Guard. They also wore armor and looked important, but in the end they were all cut down by the rebels when they stormed the palace."

Trouble
    "She has so much energy...and I never know if she's serious or not when she says something. I don't like that...and the pranks and that she doesn't seem to respect boundaries."

Mighty
    "He is another of the males, but he is different. I mean from other humans...I mean everyone of the powered people I met is different. But he seems almost as stranger and more alien than me. Like he isn't just from another planet, but from another dimension...or multiple dimensions and all his otherdimensionals self are overlapping on him and...did I mention I never payed much attention my Dimensional Theorem classes?"

Rain Strider
    "I heard another word for male is men and that men don't cry...but he makes the sky cry. Humans call it rain. That doesn't exist on Tyrok...it is too hot for that it's just all mist and steam. He is broody and doesn't seem talky."

Relationship Questions:
    You’ve been learning about Earth by spending time with __________ .
    You have a crush on __________ but you keep it under wraps.

We didn’t trust each other at first, but that changed How? Why?
    Text here

I think I'll figure that and Influence stuff out tomorrow, it's getting late here.

Suggestions and ideas are welcome.
    Last edited by Sahe; 2019-09-14 at 07:05 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

Daniel will speak in green, and Inheritor will be bold.

Relationship Questions:

You once got caught doing something that shames your legacy with ______________.
    You trust ______________ and told them an important secret of your legacy.

When our team first came together:

Sorry I didn't post in the last couple days; I had some IRL stuff come up. I'll edit in my NPCs and In Character Reactions by this evening.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbus View Post
    Edit: Rain Strider will speak in Just grey I guess

My questions are
    You and ____________________ teamed up a few times before the rest of you came together.
    Your mentor is cautious; they asked you to keep an eye on __________________.

I'm thinking Inheritor for the first, as a shadowy organisation is exactly the thing The Spider would be investigating somewhat.
    That would work for me, though if The Spider likes staying in the shadows and being stealthy, I don't know if I knight in (literally) shining armor is necessarily the best choice.

Edit 1:
    Spoiler: IC reactions
    Show
    Rainstrider: "I don't really know much about him. He's pretty quite, and doesn't really talk about his past much, but he seems to really want to help people, and isn't just one of those glory-hogs who just become "super-heroes" for media attention. I think once I get to know him a bit better we'll get along pretty well."
    Trouble: "When you talk to her she's really bright and bubbly, and is super energetic about everything, but I'm not sure how authentic that persona is. She's had a really rough childhood, and it doesn't seem like she's every really had friends except for what she has used her powers to make. On the subject of which her powers really scare me. I've come to think of her almost like a little sister, but sometimes I worry that I didn't come to that on my own, and it's due to her emotional manipulation."
    Mighty: "Right from a glance you can tell there is something different about him. Apparently it's because his dad is from a higher dimension or something, and so he is more "real" than the rest of us, but honestly most of his explanation went right over my head. Also his dad using him as an anchor for an invasion or something? I'm not really sure what his deal is for the most part, but I can completely relate to the whole "fighting an evil dad who's trying to conquer the world" thing."
    Kaleida: "So aliens exist. That's cool. Apparently she's also a space princess. If I was over my head trying to understand what was going on with Dave, I'm completely out of my league understanding the intergalactic politics that Kaleida's from. Here on Earth though, she is mostly concerned about learning how human things work. Especially with food. I don't think I have the heart to tell her what actually goes into making hot dogs."

I'm not really sure how well our characters know each other at this point, so let me know if currently Daniel knows a little too much about everyone.

Spoiler: Theme Music
    Show

Edit 2:
    Spoiler: Important NPCs
    Show
    Excalibur: Current Leader of the Knights of the Round Table and heir to King Arthur
    Trinitor: Daniel's dad, and an evil necromancer. Part of the Illuminati
    Tom Reed: Formerly "The Paladin", he was the previous heir to Sir Percival. He mentors me in my heroics.
    Ewan Miller: AKA "The Sage", he is the heir to Merlin, and acts as an advisor to the Knights of the Round Table.
    Last edited by Chengduguy; 2019-09-16 at 08:39 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Dave will speak merely in bold.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jak View Post
    Name: Dave 'Mighy' Henderson
    Playbook: Doomed
    Labels:
    Danger: +1
    Superior: +0
    Mundane: +0

Conditions:

Afraid:
    Angry:
    Guilty:
    Insecure:
    Hopeless:

Other Status:

I have Influence on: Trouble, Inheritor

They have Influence on me: Inheritor, Rain Strider

Potential:
    X O O O O

Spoiler: Dave Henderson -- Mighty -- The Doomed
    Show
    The Doomed

Something about your powers dooms you. It's just a matter of time before your doom comes for you. Until then, though… you've got a nemesis who needs fighting and a world that needs saving. After all, it's better to burn out than fade away…

Hero Name: Mighty

Look
    • Man
    • White
    • steely eyes
    • Unassuming clothing
    • No costume

Already a couple of inches over six feet tall at seventeen, Dave is, usually, an otherwise fairly ordinary appearing teenager -- short brown hair, grey eyes, and the usual uniform of jeans, tees, and sneakers.

When he exerts his 'augmented' reality state, however, he appears sharper, his colours more vibrant, overall just more...there. It's more than a little disconcerting; like discovering life is actually only 720p when someone in 4K wanders by.

Abilities
    There are mental disorders that leave one feeling that they are the only ‘real’ person in the world, and all others are figments and phantasms.

For Dave, this is less a disorder, and more of a fact. Offspring of a visitor from a more intense reality, he can interact with the realm of his birth in a more profound manner than most.

❑ Body transmutation: Hyperrealistic (higher ‘resolution’ appearance, lower susceptibility to damage, strong personal inertia)
    ❑ Superhuman strength and speed: Can push harder against the world
    ❑ Vitality absorption: Can draw health and vitality from less ‘real’ people

LABELS
    Danger -2 -1 0 +1 +2 +3
    Freak -2 -1 0 +1 +2 +3
    Savior -2 -1 0 +1 +2 +3
    Superior -2 -1 0 +1 +2 +3
    Mundane -2 -1 0 +1 +2 +3

Backstory
    • When did you first learn of your doom?
    Last year. I was feeling really messed up and alone in the world – growing up without a dad sure doesn’t help how that feels when you’re fourteen – and mom always insisting I’m meant for great things is even worse, y'know?

Then I was contacted by Father, had the whole ‘you will be my anchor' shtick explained to me – turns out that even worse than feeling alone and weird is finding out you ARE weird, and that while you DO have a dad he’s a complete psychotic.

• Where did you get your sanctuary?
    That’s how he got all this started. Woke up on my birthday and found a shiny black marble on my bedside table, about three quarters of an inch across – when I looked closely at it, though, it looked...weird. Now I know that’s because it’s hyperrealistic, but a featureless black sphere is far easier to ‘drop' down to this reality than something more obviously complex.

Anyhow, when I picked it up it hauled me up a level of reality; not as far as where Father and his kind live, but sort of a part-way level. Everything was suddenly sharper, more vibrant, and there was a message from Father waiting for me with...well, call it a virtual assistant. It can answer some questions for me, or be a sounding board, and it let me know that this place – it called it ‘Sanctuary’ – was somewhere I could come to be more ‘real'.

Any damage done to me would repair itself more quickly there, and I could use it as a staging point to jump directly to other places in my ‘lesser' reality. Of course, this was also where it was not only possible to communicate with Father if I so chose, but time spent there would accelerate the Anchoring. So, that’s a thing.

• Why do you oppose your nemesis?
    Two reasons, mainly. One, the obvious one; no matter who my parents might be, this is my home, and the thought of someone invading and just using people like...[i]cattle[i], well, it pisses me off.

The other one? I’m not anyone’s pawn or tool, just to be used as a means to an end. And, well, damn – I have no idea if I’ll even survive this whole anchor thing, so why take chances?

• Who, outside of the team, is crucial to defeating your nemesis?
    Rumour has it that there is a mystical defender that is tasked with defending this plane of existence against all major threats. I don’t know if this ‘Doctor Truth’ even exists or how to find him if he does, but if anyone could help it’s going to be someone like that.

• Why does the team matter to you?
    In a word, anchors. Whenever I use my greater reality to affect this one, it accelerates the process, how different I am seeming to stand out more and more. If I’m surrounded by others who are also different and can also bend the world to their wills in various ways, the effects seem...mitigated. They anchor this reality about us so I don’t deform it quite so badly.

As strange as it seems, they...help me blend in, I guess.

When our team first came together…
    We paid a high cost for victory. What was it?

Relationships
    You told Trouble all about your doom and the danger you're in. Pretty sure she manipulated that situation; hopefully she won't cause more of her namesake as a result of what she knows.
    You'd love to kiss Inheritor before your doom comes. He's...striking.

Influence
    These people matter for what you need to do. Give Influence to two of your teammates: Rain Strider, Inheritor

Nemesis
    You have a nemesis, an epic and powerful enemy representing and embodying your doom. It’s going to take everything you have to take them down in the time you have left.

Who is your nemesis? Father; the Menace from Reality. A colonizer from a higher level of reality, he descended briefly and with difficulty to this ephemeral one to spawn a progeny with a native woman; the resulting child growing in power with age, eventually becoming an anchor through which he and his allies may enter this world at will and feed upon the life force of its inhabitants.

At the end of every session, answer the question: Did you make progress on defeating your nemesis? If the answer is yes, mark potential. If the answer is no, mark your doom track.

Doom

Time alone will turn Dave into an anchor point that his uncaring Father will use to enter this world and abuse its inhabitants; drawing excessive attention to his state of higher reality only accelerates the process. Can he gain enough power to defeat his Father’s intentions before his efforts to do so bring about the end?

❑ Facing danger alone
    ❑ Talking about it openly

Whenever you bring your doom closer, mark one box on your doom track.

Doom Track: ❑ ❑ ❑ ❑ ❑

When your doom track fills, clear it and take one of your doomsigns.

Doomsigns

❑ Infinite Powers: Mark your Doom Track to use an ability from any playbook, one time.

Sanctuary
    You have a place where you can rest, recover, and reflect upon your powers. Choose and underline three features of your sanctuary:
    An aide or assistant; a teleportal; healing equipment

Choose and underline two downsides of your sanctuary:
    Draws dangerous attention, tied intricately to your doom

When you call upon the resources of your sanctuary to solve a problem, say what you want to do. The GM will give you one to four conditions you must fulfill to complete your solution:
    - First, you must _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    - You'll need help from _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    - You and your team will risk danger from _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    - The best you can do is a lesser version, unreliable and limited
    - You'll need to mark one box on your doom track
    - You'll have to obtain _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Moment of Truth

The prickly tingling fear of your doom, always in your head—it holds you back most of the time. But right here, right now? It gives you the confidence to do anything. After all, what’s the worst that could happen? Is it worse than your doom? Do impossible things. Do anything. But mark a doomsign after you’re finished.

Team Moves

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, give them Influence over you and spend 1 Team from the pool to clear one box on your doom track.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, give them Influence over you and ask if they honestly think there’s hope for you. If they say yes, mark potential or clear one box of your doom track. If they say no, mark a condition or mark your doom track.

POTENTIAL ❑ ❑ ❑ ❑ ❑

Every time you roll a miss on a move, mark potential.

Advancement
    When you fill your potential track, you advance. Choose from the list below.
    ❑ Take a move from another playbook
    ❑ Someone permanently loses Influence over you; add +1 to a Label
    ❑ Rearrange your Labels as you choose, and add +1 to a Label
    ❑ Unlock your Moment of Truth
    ❑ Clear a doomsign; you lose access to that move for now
    ❑ Get burn and three flares (from the Nova’s playbook)

When you've taken five advances from the top list, you can take advances from the list below.
    ❑ Unlock your Moment of Truth after it's been used once
    ❑ Confront your doom on your terms; if you survive, change playbooks
    ❑ Take an adult move
    ❑ Take an adult move
    ❑ Lock a Label, and add +1 to a Label of your choice
    ❑ Become a paragon of the city for however long you have left

Spoiler: IC Reactions
    Show
    Rain Strider: He's...pretty intense. Broody. Uptight, maybe. From what I've gathered he had a fairly tough upbringing, and his time sidekicking has left him with a real tendency of being shy of the spotlight. Which hey, I can understand myself, I've got my own reasons to be careful of what gets out there. Definitely has a good head on his shoulders, though; I'm thinking he'll be a lot of help with tracking down who or what I'll need to get the job done.

Trouble: Trouble is right. I think I'm starting to get a handle on how to keep her from just running rampant over my emotions -- making me feel lonely enough that I just...opened up was a low blow! I'm not entirely sure how to deal with her in general, though. She doesn't seem to have much respect for...well, anything, really, and her reliance on good fortune to save the day is quite frankly maddening. Not all of us can just run around la-de-da and expect things to come out for the best! I just hope her cavalier attitude doesn't end up getting anyone killed.

Inheritor: And speaking of cavaliers, an actual knight in shining armour? This is totally the kind of out there and in-your-face kinda guy I need around to make me not look quite so...alien. He's dedicated to fighting the good fight, and he totally gets what it's like to have a dad who's the sort who needs to be shut down rather than looked up to. I almost envy him, though, with the kind of background he has to draw upon. It's just...me, and I can't afford to let too many people know about what's really happening.

Kaledia: And, well, speaking of aliens, I have to say that the first one I met certainly isn't what I would have expected. She's definitely not baseline human, and the fact that she can change her physiology like that is pretty amazing. I mean, I change, in a way, but I just become...more, of what I already am. She's whatever she wants! Except, it seems, to be left alone; again, I understand what it's like to have attention on you that you'd rather not have, and others wanting to use you as a tool for their own ends. The Princess is clearly enjoying her time here among us; I just hope it doesn't come to a crashing halt in the words way possible....

Spoiler: Theme Music
    Show
    More Human than Human https://youtu.be/E0E0ynyIUsg
    Last edited by Captain Jak; 2019-09-27 at 10:13 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Seems to me that the Delinquent's awesome and illegal stunt dovetails well with the Legacy's shame at being caught doing such things -- just a thought.
    Ideally they should be two different relationships though. I think of the two, having Trouble be the shamey thing for Inheritor is probably the better one of the two for them to be. (Though if nobody else is interesting in the awesome & illegal stunt then I guess we can make it the same thing, but that's less fun as it's just like I didn't have a relationship question there at all.)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    Ideally they should be two different relationships though. I think of the two, having Trouble be the shamey thing for Inheritor is probably the better one of the two for them to be. (Though if nobody else is interesting in the awesome & illegal stunt then I guess we can make it the same thing, but that's less fun as it's just like I didn't have a relationship question there at all.)
    Rain Strider isn't strictly adherent to the rules, if you tricked him into it saying something about it being a hero thing then a found out later. He would probably just chuckle a bit. Plus being able to walk on air makes it easier to do said stunt.

Also I'll get the pitch for how Inheritor and Strider would team up soon.

Edit:
    Spoiler: The Red Jester
    Show

"Fanatical to this organisation Inheritor told me about call the Illuminati, the Red Jester stalked the nights picking fights to test the meta human recruits. While a formidable foe being able to dive into shadows like water, he was largely kept at arms distance from the organisation. While it is yet to be known why it would appear he presumes it is because of his meta human nature further proving his distance from the organisation. He seems to hold a bitter hatred for meta humans allowed in. We have yet to find any record of those he has lost to, luckily due to Inheritor and his groups help we were able to put him away and hopefully for good." - Rain Striders report
    [/COLOR]
    Last edited by Jumbus; 2019-09-16 at 04:14 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9

BlueWizardGirl

Kaleida could be caught up in something like that considering she might not even get that something is illegal. Maybe she got in trouble for it too, while Trouble didn't get in...well trouble :D

10. - Top - End - #10

So how's all the shaking out of details going? I still see a lot of blanks! :P

Captain Jak seems to be the most done.

Show
    Show

Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Only because my relationships are things I do, rather than things that are done with me. Don't need to confirm participation so much. :P

Once relationships are done, I believe this is our Coming Together order:

Outsider: We didn’t trust each other at first, but that changed. How? Why?

Delinquent: We totally broke some major rules to win the fight. What rules did we break? Whose rules were they?

Doomed: We paid a high cost for victory. What was it?

Legacy: All things considered, we did well and impressed an established hero. Who was it?

Protégé: We stuck together after all was said and done. Why? How’d we keep in contact?
    Last edited by Captain Jak; 2019-09-16 at 10:12 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12

Only because my relationships are things I do, rather than things that are done with me. Don't need to confirm participation so much. :P
    Also, is Dave straight up gay, or bi? Due to the relationship aspects of Masks, I feel like it might be relevant.

And true! That makes sense.

Show
    Show

Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Labels are for mundanes. Dave likes who he likes, whether it's a human gender or a more practical alien one. :P

14. - Top - End - #14

Labels are for mundanes. Dave likes who he likes, whether it's a human gender or a more practical alien one. :P
    Totally fair response. :)

Show
    Show

Show

15. - Top - End - #15

BlueWizardGirl

I think I'll give the crush to Trouble "Do I like her? No!...She's so...obnoxious! And...aaargh!"

Learning about Earth, maybe Inheritor?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I'm usually under the belief that some questions can be good for setting up other elements like the team up on for me. So I'll wait on Inheritors check off but I will probably put down Dave to be cautious of as Kalei and Trouble don't seem as threatening as a dimensional anomaly.

As for influences Blackmore is business so he doesn't have any to start
    Last edited by Jumbus; 2019-09-16 at 05:26 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

@Chengduguy: Suggestion, take it or leave it. Maybe have Daniel's text color be a darker green so it's more noticeably different?

Gonna do a "all the relationship questions in one place" thing. Mainly for my own benefit or whoever else it would be useful to. (Will try and keep this up to date.)

I'm putting Rain Strider down for who Trouble is trying to impress and Kaleida for the stunt because I was amused by Sahe's suggestion.

Spoiler
    Show

Trouble
    You keep trying to impress Rain Strider with your antics.
    You and Kaleida pulled an awesome (if illegal) stunt together.

(Relationship connects: Rain Strider 1, Kaleida 2, Inheritor 1)

Rain Strider
    Your mentor is cautious; they asked you to keep an eye on The Mighty.

(Relationship connects: Trouble 1, Inheritor 2, The Mighty 1)

Princess Kaleida
    You’ve been learning about Earth by spending time with Inheritor.
    You have a crush on Trouble but you keep it under wraps.

(Relationship connects: Trouble 2, Inheritor 1)

Inheritor
    You once got caught doing something that shames your legacy with Trouble.
    You trust Rain Strider and told them an important secret of your legacy.

(Relationship connects: Kaleida 1, Trouble 1, The Mighty 1, Rain Strider 2)

The Mighty
    You told Trouble all about your doom and the danger you're in. Pretty sure she manipulated that situation; hopefully she won't cause more of her namesake as a result of what she knows.

(Relationship connects: Trouble 1, Inheritor 1, Rain Strider 1)
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2019-09-16 at 10:06 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

Is it almost time for IC time? :P

Show
    Show

Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

@Chengduguy: Suggestion, take it or leave it. Maybe have Daniel's text color be a darker green so it's more noticeably different?

Gonna do a "all the relationship questions in one place" thing. Mainly for my own benefit or whoever else it would be useful to. (Will try and keep this up to date.)

I'm putting Rain Strider down for who Trouble is trying to impress and Kaleida for the stunt because I was amused by Sahe's suggestion.

Spoiler
    Show

Trouble
    You keep trying to impress Rain Strider with your antics.
    You and Kaleida pulled an awesome (if illegal) stunt together.

(Relationship connects: Rain Strider 1, Kaleida 2, Inheritor 1)

Rain Strider
    You and Inheritor(?) teamed up a few times before the rest of you came together.
    Your mentor is cautious; they asked you to keep an eye on The Mighty.

(Relationship connects: Trouble 1, Inheritor 1, The Mighty 1)

Princess Kaleida
    You’ve been learning about Earth by spending time with Inheritor(?).
    You have a crush on Trouble but you keep it under wraps.

(Relationship connects: Trouble 2, Inheritor 1)

Inheritor
    You once got caught doing something that shames your legacy with Trouble(?).
    You trust ______________ and told them an important secret of your legacy.

(Relationship connects: Kaleida 1, Trouble 1, The Mighty 1, Rain Strider 1, ? 1)

The Mighty

(Relationship connects: Trouble 1, Inheritor 1, Rain Strider 1)
    (I'm just going to reply to this for all the relationship questions)

@Jumbus the Rain Strider/Inheritor team up sounds really cool. Definitely like that idea.

@Sahe That actually would make a lot of sense, because while Daniel knows enough about Earth stuff to help you learn about it, he was also mostly isolated from regular people, so at the same time he is experiencing a lot of "normal person" stuff for the first time.

@Ramsus I'm trying to brainstorm what stunt I'd have pulled with you to shame my legacy. Maybe we used my status as part of a flashy superhero organization + your emotional manipulation to get into a super exclusive club? Or maybe something a little simpler like going around the city graffitiing everything?

For my last question I'm thinking I told Rain Strider about how the legacy is passed down between generations, and in particular how once the sword has been passed on, it can never be returned to a previous heir. (I think he makes the most sense for me to trust with this, since we have a prior history).

Is this text color a little better?

Edit: I think I was the last to finish the relationship questions, so all we have left before IC are "How our team came together", which has to be done in order

Edit 2: Before I forget, I give influence to everyone on the team
    Last edited by Chengduguy; 2019-09-16 at 08:32 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Cool bean just posting my character with the updated info

Spoiler: Rain Strider
    Show

Name: Michael Blackmore
    Hero Name: Rain Strider
    Playbook: Protege

Labels:
    Danger: -1
    Superior: +2
    Mundane: 0

Man
    White
    Lean Body
    School Uniform
    Simple Costume

Spoiler: Appearance
    Show

Conditions:
    Afraid
    Angry
    Guilty
    Hopeless
    Insecure

Other Status:

Influence on: TBD

Influenced by: TBD

Potential:
    o o o o o

Powers: Can harden water (and moisture) and stop it in space by touching it, rain falls when he gets emotional

Shared Ability: Intimidation and Fear
    Own Ability: Elemental Control
    Mentor's Ability: Superhuman Physique

Mentor
    Embodies: Freak
    Denies: Savior

Mentor Resources: Secret Base, Surveillance equipment, False identities

Spoiler: Moves:
    Show

Venting frustration: When you directly engage
    while you are Angry, you can roll + the Label your
    mentor denies and clear Angry.

Be mindful of your surroundings: When you
    assess the situation before entering into a fight,
    you may ask one additional question, even on a
    miss.

Been reading the files: You’ve learned about
    the superhuman world through your mentor’s
    resources. When you first encounter an important
    superpowered phenomenon (your call), roll
    + Superior. On a hit, tell the team one important
    detail you’ve learned from your studies. The GM
    will tell you what, if anything, seems different
    from what you remember. On a 10+, ask the GM
    a follow-up question; they will answer it honestly.
    On a miss, the situation is well outside your base
    of knowledge; the GM will tell you why.

Spoiler: Relationships
    Show

Your mentor is cautious; they asked you to keep an eye on Mighty.

Influence:
    Business, give Influence to no teammates.

Spoiler: Backstory
    Show

When did you first meet your mentor?
    "When I was born it flooded, from then on I was always an outsider. Not just for my powers but the need to control my emotions to keep the rain in check had staggered my social life to a great extent. Despite wanting to live a life where I just fit in and was happy in the crowd, I soon came to realize that it would never become a reality for me. That is when I tried the vigilante thing, it was a rainy September night and I was out of my depth. It didn't take long for the thieves and thugs to overpower me. And that is when I was saved by The Spider, to this day I don't know exactly why he did it maybe its because he saw some of himself in me or maybe it was just the right place and the right time. None the less when he offered to mentor me that is when my life truly begun."
    When and why did you choose to train with them?
    "As stated earlier I can't see myself ever being normal so when a superhero especially a one as secretive and reclusive as The Spider it is not one I can turn down. We were both a like in a sense outsiders who would never really fit in with society out of the nature of our powers so we served just on the outskirts of it. We operate as a stealth team his ability to crawl along wall and enhanced strength and my ability to walk on the rain made us perfect for it. A symbol of fear for criminals who operate at night and the less we showed ourselves the more effective we were."
    Why did they agree to train you?
    "Although he never stated it directly there was always the direct message of 'we will never be accepted by people, the difference between a superhero and a unhinged vigilante is all about how the public perceives you. And they can be fickle especially when it comes to appearances. Its better to stay in the shadows to serve than save people in the public spotlight for heroes like us.' As I said before I think he saw a lot of himself in me, he never said it directly but I think he wants to protect me from the dangers of putting myself out like that.
    Who else, outside of the team, knows about your training?
    "My parents don't know about. I was born into a wealthy family but because of my powers they bought a cabin a bit outside of the city to live in as it was easier to deal with me like that. I was moved out when I was eight and despite the occasional visits I rarely ever see them. The house keeper to the cabin, Carla Ford, became more of a mother to me than my biological one and she is the only one I trust with such a secret. Though I can't be certain if she told my parents or not."
    Why do you care about the team?
    "In a plea to come into my own as a hero I asked The Spider to join a team of heroes. He had his apprehensions about the situation but eventually agreed but made me promise not to expose myself to much to the limelight. I do truly want to save people and maybe through that find acceptance and a place in society or maybe my mentors correct and people won't like me for my surface elements. But there's no way to find out if I don't go for it and I guess some promises are made to be broken."

Theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3VgV31vmUE

And with that we should start our how we came together questions.

JNA if you want to think of some villain that we fought in our how we came together questions we can start on those after they're done its IC time

Edit: Glad you liked the Red Jester Chen thought it would be a good foil to your character as well a noble knight versus someone who literally lives in shadow
    Last edited by Jumbus; 2019-09-16 at 09:29 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

JNA doesn't really need to think of the villain we fought. One of us could establish it during the process or he could just do so after. No need for us to wait on him. (Especially since he seems a bit impatient to start, I can't imagine he wants to add extra waiting to the process.)

I will say this was actually pretty quick for a Masks relationship hashout. Every suggestion was accepted and went with right away. No back and forth or such.

@Chengduguy: Let's see. Words Words. That certainly is a noticeable difference. (Though for some reason having them next to each other like that causes the Lime to actually hurt my eyes a bit.)

You did a weird thing on your Influence btw. Labeling Trouble as "Rin (Koyo)" and not "Rin (Trouble)" as was the format for everyone else.

I like your idea. But it needs a bit of punch. So we went to an exclusive club, got completely smashed, and then went and graffitied the Illuminati symbol on a bunch of silly places. Like under the No in "No Parking" signs and such. We weren't caught on camera (luckily) but there were enough cape people who saw what happened that it got back to whoever your judgemental member of the legacy is. (You haven't filled that or the "possible next" on in yet in case you forgot btw.)

@Jumbus: Would you mind adding the Rain Strider sheet to your first post? Easier to find if everyone has their character sheets in their first posts. (Didn't you have a google doc sheet before btw?)

@Sahe: Might as well define our awesome (and illegal) stunt. I'm thinking..... flying onto the wings of a 747 a bit after it took off and "surfing" it until some hero came and told us to knock it off.

I forgot to track what people were saying about Influence. Guess I'll make a thing for that too while I'm at it in case anyone else did as well. If people already said stuff about Influence and I missed it, sorry. Please just correct me.

Spoiler
    Show

Has Influence over Trouble: the Mighty, Rain Strider, Princess Kaleida
    Trouble has Influence over: Inheritor

Has Influence over Rain Strider: Nobody
    Rain Strider has Influence over: Trouble, The Mighty, Inheritor

Has Influence over Princess Kaleida: ?
    Princess Kaleida has Influence over: Trouble, Inheritor

Has Influence over Inheritor: Trouble, Rain Strider, Princess Kaleida, The Mighty
    Inheritor has Influence over: The Mighty

Has Influence over The Mighty: Inheritor, Rain Strider
    The Mighty has Influence over: Trouble, Inheritor

22. - Top - End - #22

Yeah. I'd like y'all to be a part of the creation process-make villains, make heroes, make NPCs that aren't either!

And yes please. IC now. :P

Show
    Show

Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

I've cleaned up my initial post in the thread, and added in my usual header with at-a-glance useful information. Ready to go when the got-together questions get to me!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I'll think up a rogues gallery of the Spider villains. The Red Jester is the first one though.

25. - Top - End - #25

BlueWizardGirl

@Chengduguy: I like that.

Kaleida: "What's this?"
    Inheritor: "An amusement park."
    Kaleida: "What do you do here?"
    Inheritor: "Let's find out together..."

@Ramsus: That sounds extreme and a bit silly, I like it. Especially how Trouble convinced her.

I guess I'm first on the getting together questions.

We didn’t trust each other at first, but that changed. How? Why?

Mmmh...the only thing that currently comes to mind is them having an after battle snack together, similar to Post-Credit Avenger's theme...only that Kaleida is committing some food crime by pouring massive amounts of chocolate sauce on her shawarma...and then dip it in a jar of salt or something. Any thoughts?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Hmmm. That's friendship building, but not really trust building is it? (Though if everyone else is ok with a silly answer like that I'm ok with it.)

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

Random suggestion for the villain we fought: we stopped a smallish human trafficking ring in Halcyon city that was to small for the Big League supers to worry about, but the official authorities didn't have enough evidence to move on? If JNA wants a darker tone this could fit a little better than a more traditional four-color villain.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

In a matter of not trusting one another, clearly most of us hadn't encountered each other before; there could have been anything from jurisdictional disputes to suspicion over motives to outright fighting between us due to misunderstandings over what's going on.

We would just need a significant enough reason to realise that we're all on the same side and need to work together.

29. - Top - End - #29

You guys need anything from me at the moment?

Show
    Show

Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

I threw around some ideas with Sahe on Discord earlier today. Hopefully she'll have something worked out soon.