New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Visualizing a Savage Bard

I don't really have a clear image of what this variant class is supposed to entail in terms of fluff. The immediate comparison that springs to mind would be, like, an aggressive rapper who seems fluent in rap but incredibly dumb when interviewed, but that isn't very informative of what it would look like in a fantasy setting, where they're supposed to be a bard who's "a warrior at heart".

How do you guys think they would look in-setting?
    Last edited by Elves; 2019-09-16 at 07:59 AM.
    Join the 3.5e Discord server: https://discord.gg/ehGFz6M3nJ

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: Visualizing a Savage Bard

Well i would think for example at one viking skald, or to someone who tell the stories of war he had done , another class who have a similiar fluff is the warrior skald from races of faerun. they are near as fluff . Or something similiar (even a warrior who can play well) , or a fighter who fight dancing and chanting , i think at this with the savage bard don't know if it is a help . The nearest as class in D&D would be the warrior skald i'm pretty sure
    Finally my computer is without any problem!
    Spoiler: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge: E6 Appetizer Edition Medals
    Show
    Silver medal as Xin in Round XVII
    Gold Medal as Smit in Round XVIII
    Silver Medal as Hit Me In Round XIX
    Gold Medal as The Exiled in Round XIX
    Silver Medal as Elec Tri in Round XX
    Gold Medal as Tawamios in round XXI

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

I'd imagine something like a fantasy version of a military drummer or bugler. Background - an adult who feels their duty is to join combat but perhaps is not as proficient at fighting as others, and his proficiency at music has led him to be made into the savage bard of a group of barbarians. Alternatively, a child, perhaps an orphan of someone who used to serve in the barbarian band that he's now part of.

The role of the Savage Bard... the leader of a group of barbarians could use the various tunes of the savage bard to communicate with his troop across the battlefield to coordinate tactics and communicate battle formations. The bard might also be required to use their music to give some magical support to the group.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

+1 on the "skald" idea. This sort of Bard is a Lorekeeper for a people with strong oral traditions, who are close to nature. Strong tie-ins with Druids, Barbarians, and Rangers.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGirl

I just wanna say, I dig it the concept of a savage bard alot!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    +1 on the "skald" idea. This sort of Bard is a Lorekeeper for a people with strong oral traditions, who are close to nature. Strong tie-ins with Druids, Barbarians, and Rangers.
    An illiterate, oral bard is easy to imagine. Where the warrior part comes in is what I'm not easily visualizing.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Spamalot in the Playground

+1 Skald, or something tribal works too if a viking theme isn't a good fit.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

For the last couple of years I've thought along these lines.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Elves View Post
    An illiterate, oral bard is easy to imagine. Where the warrior part comes in is what I'm not easily visualizing.
    That really depends on what your focus is with your bard, what instrument/s are you thinking, melee, ranged, caster?

A savage bard who focuses on buffs and casting could be the village witch doctor who leads the pre-battle tribal dances, gives the men special blessings right before the battle and spends the battle singing and dancing as he applies more dances.

Or else a military drummer/bugler who disseminating orders using their instrument.

A savage battle dancer wearing bright colored armor as they dance through enemy ranks being a veritable tornado of blades.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

A savage bard isn’t actually necessarily more (or less) of a warrior than a bog-standard bard (they swap good Ref saves for good Fort, but don’t get more hp or BAB or weapon proficiencies or intrinsically gishy spells), so while either kind can be a gish-in-a-can, a savage bard can just be easily be a tribal shaman, the leader of a pre-battle war chant, keeper of histories/storyteller, and/or chieftain — much less any type of support or advisor in a tribal/barbarian type society. Heck, in a more urban setting, a savage bard could be a canny gang leader or leader’s right hand, a charismatic guttersnipe/con-artist.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by liquidformat View Post
    That really depends on what your focus is with your bard, what instrument/s are you thinking, melee, ranged, caster?
    This isn't actually for a character.

Running through the different perform skills, I would say:

Act (comedy, drama, mime) - Performer and MC in gladiatorial combat rituals and pageants
    Comedy (buffoonery, limericks, joke-telling) "Diss rapper". Mocks opponents to embolden the troops.
    Dance (ballet, waltz, jig) - Battle dancer, probably involved in dance rituals outside of combat. Lackluster BAB because twirling battle dances aren't exactly the most efficient way of fighting.
    Oratory (epic, ode, storytelling): Warleader who leads the hakas and the battlechants, tells the stories of ancient warriors to inspire the troops, very marshal-y
    Percussion instruments and wind instruments - Someone who beats the wardrums or blows the battlehorns
    Sing (ballad, chant, melody) - Much like oratory, except because they're singing instead of yelling, probably more mystical and shaman-y than marshal-y

Keyboard instruments and string instruments would be a little harder to figure out and primitive societies tend to have fewer of those.

-----

I was actually thinking of this in the context of someone mentioning what seems like an unlikely fluff combination, savage bard into Sublime Chord. Unlikely because Sublime Chords live in a refined college and study the mysteries of the universe. Now, if you have a tribal type who sings "the song of the gods" and keeps the myths, that actually fits very well with the Sublime Chord ethos of uncovering the music of the celestial spheres or whatever.

But unless it's a story of someone who *was* savage and got "civilized", I'm not seeing how the savage battle-lust part plays into the story.
    Last edited by Elves; 2019-09-16 at 05:16 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post
    For the last couple of years I've thought along these lines.
    This would be my analog:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C434QFTjok
    Dergosh the Loud M Half-Orc Clr 3/Bar 1 | HP: 38 (26 with rage)| Init +10 | AC 17 T12 FF15 | Fort +7 Ref +3 Will +6 | Listen +1, Spot +4 | ATK +7 (+9 w/rage) melee 1d8+3/x2, +5 ranged 1d6+3/x2 | Cleric Spells: 0--guidance, guidance, light, resistance; 1st- summon monster I, cause fear (DC 15), sonic blast D (DC 15), resurgence; 2nd-restoration, lesser (x2), sonic weapon D
    Domain ability: piercing scream (DC 15)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

biggrin Re: Visualizing a Savage Bard

I'm going to leave this here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzL85AW2lQw

14. - Top - End - #14

PaladinGuy

Savage bard you say? Something like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7woW7DmnR0E

15. - Top - End - #15

Or, you know, Artemis the Huntress style https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsN7E35LpJE

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Besides the Haka you've all been too complicated. Clearly this is how you do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel