New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: OOTS #1180 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by SlashDash View Post
    P.S

Seriously? We've watched Curly run from the fight and had it mentioned several times that she's still out there and people still think that won't affect anything moving forward?
    People think her purpose is already being served. She's an excuse to keep the Godsmoot locked in a tie and keep all those high level clerics and Durkon's family occupied for the last book.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

I'm glad they got to participate in the best part of visiting dwarven lands. I also like that Belkar had a good idea.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

3. - Top - End - #93

GreataxeFighterGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    There isn't a source, merely a lot of assumption and forum speculation.

I hope Sigdi does get her arm restored before Durkon leaves, and I'll be disappointed if she doesn't. Storytelling-wise, it's a great button on Durkon's return home. Character-wise, Sigdi is not sentimental; she's pragmatic, and the entire case for her refusing is that she's sentimental. If she was sentimental, she would have had Tenrin resurrected in the first place.
    Tenrin is in Valhalla, having died an honourable death. Ressurecting him would have been selfish. He's be in danger of dying dishonourably later on. Put on the weight five souls that would have been tortured for eternity through no fault of theirs - there's a cost for being sentimental like this.

Not restoring her arm doesn't harm anyone but Sigdi. It may be sentimental (not to want to replace the hand/arm that holds onto her dead husband), but it's sentimental without a heavy cost to anyone else. Sigdi may be practical overall with this touch of sentimental for the love of her life.

Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    Being taken out by a stray shot from Hilgya doesn't really bode well for her ability to throw down with Xykon and Redcloak, so I don't see what she really contributes other than a warm body and a few minor heal spells (which Elan can do).
    That was a direct hit after she was already blinded. And she was useful in the fight up to that point.

Quote Originally Posted by gatemansgc View Post
    welcome to the order of the stick, minrah!

hopefully there's a random encounter or two along the way so she and durkon can regain the levels lost in death. durkon probably regained one fighting the vampires but he lost two.
    There will be exactly one random encouter en route, because random encounters are tedious and a waste of everyone's valuable time.

Quote Originally Posted by The Pilgrim View Post
    Now if Belkar ended up kissing Durkon, V's theory about his proto-brain would definitely become a proven fact.
    Is it possible for a halfling's protobrain to evolve? Asking for a friend.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Major Plot Twist Prediction (OotSMPTP): Hilgya is a vampire now, and hooks up with Xykon’s crew. She brings along Kudzu.

The monster in the darkness does *NOT* eat the baby.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    The arm that’s holding his hand in Valhalla? Yeah, probably.
    Her amputated hand is holding his *corpse's* hand.

If you think he's walking around Valhalla with a severed arm... I believe the phrase is "ewww", sir. Rather more in the direction of "gross" than "romantic".
    Last edited by Reboot; 2019-09-16 at 12:55 PM.

6. - Top - End - #96

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by BasiliskSoldier View Post
    Honestly, I think we're done with the Vampires. If anything bad happens to Minrah before the end of this book, it'll probably either be from Hilgya or from some new threat, but I don't think it'll happen.

The most obvious end-of-book stinger is cutting back to Team Evil and establishing what they're doing, and revealing something that'll have a big effect on the next book, probably them finding the last gate (for a while my theory has been that Right Eye's daughter will finally be introduced at the end of this book as the stinger, but I think that's less likely than Team Evil actually finding the last gate)

My running theory is that Rich created her to serve the purpose she served in this book, and then decided he liked the character and wanted to do more with her, so she got to stick around.

I think she's got a distinct comedic function from the rest of the order (her lower level is probably going to be a major benefit in this regard), she's got that exposition/recap utility, I bet that Rich has a couple plot things for her to do next book, and she's just a likeable character who's nice to have around.

I don't think Minrah's a love interest either, but if she was she wouldn't necessarily be Durkon's love interest. Bandana's a prominent side character who's currently single, if Minrah was part of a romantic subplot (which I don't think she will be) it'd probably be with her.
    I wonder if Right-Eye's daughter will come into the story. I hope so, it would be really interesting for a number of reasons.

Definitely think Minrah has a distinct function. Her method of long winded explanation is quite distinct from V's. Overall she has a distinct personality. There already are a couple other not as high level side characters hanging out at the north pole who are also expected to play a role, anyways. \

I don't see why Minrah would end up with Bandana of all people, if she's going to have a romantic plot line Durkon makes way way more sense. Minrah and Bandana don't really have anything in common. Minrah's a lawful, honorable dwarven cleric who gives the impression that she is devoted to serving her god and community (she volunteered to help fight the vampires and then volunteered to get rezzed instead of going to Valhalla) whereas Bandana is a likely chaotic pirate who lives a nomadic lifestyle in the air. Based on what we know they are most likely incompatible when it comes to values, lifestyle, what they want, etc. Whereas Durkon and Minrah are both clerics with similar values, and they also come from the same community. Durkon has wanted to go home since he was sent away and he will probably return to Firmament once he's done helping with the whole save the world plot line.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

You know, I appreciate Roy's attempt to be as genre aware as Elan is. I'd call that a moderately successful untrained skill check. Also, I'm not sure that the beer is helping or hurting the roll.
    Now, Back to Lurking!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I think I'm going to defer to his wiser judgment in this case, because I'm probably going to keep writing responses and that will only lead to me getting myself in trouble somehow.
    - I should follow this advice more often.

Belkar's Death Countdown best guess: 31/49 days used before Belkar is gone forever more! - updated to morning at 1190!

Hey, its the Blog where I write! Dice Roles

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

Well, Minrah is a bit lower leveled than the Order, but with accelerated newcomer XP rates and random encounters I'm sure she'll catch up to being only a small handful of levels behind in the time it takes to get to Kraagor's tomb.

9. - Top - End - #99

As a random example, if Sabine has a message for the party nobody would listen to her. But Minrah has no idea who she is so she'll have a nice chat with her.
    Actually, I expect V would listen. Their last convo was (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0935.html) conspiratorial.

10. - Top - End - #100

GreataxeFighterGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Windscion View Post
    Actually, I expect V would listen. Their last convo was (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0935.html) conspiratorial.
    Also Sabine is a shapeshifter. She doesn't need to look like herself.

11. - Top - End - #101

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalFailure View Post
    I don't see why Minrah would end up with Bandana of all people, if she's going to have a romantic plot line Durkon makes way way more sense. Minrah and Bandana don't really have anything in common. Minrah's a lawful, honorable dwarven cleric who gives the impression that she is devoted to serving her god and community (she volunteered to help fight the vampires and then volunteered to get rezzed instead of going to Valhalla) whereas Bandana is a likely chaotic pirate who lives a nomadic lifestyle in the air. Based on what we know they are most likely incompatible when it comes to values, lifestyle, what they want, etc. Whereas Durkon and Minrah are both clerics with similar values, and they also come from the same community. Durkon has wanted to go home since he was sent away and he will probably return to Firmament once he's done helping with the whole save the world plot line.
    I don't think Minrah's going to have a romantic plot.

Maybe I should have just left it at that, instead of also adding the "Even if she did have a romantic plot, it doesn't have to be with Durkon".

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

Throw in #945, with the blue tentacles coming out of the rift

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lheticus View Post
    Preeeeetty sure Roy is underestimating just how long he'll be affected by that dwarf beer. Or how long it will be until the next encounter. Or both.
    He's probably planning on sleeping it off on the ship.
    But how will he climb up the long rope ladder while carrying Belkar? Or do you suppose the dwarves will be grateful and let the airship land now?

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    Throw in #945, with the blue tentacles coming out of the rift

But how will he climb up the long rope ladder while carrying Belkar? Or do you suppose the dwarves will be grateful and let the airship land now?
    Why, but thanks to Bigsby’d druken-comrades-lifting hand of course.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BasiliskSoldier View Post
    I don't think Minrah's going to have a romantic plot.

Maybe I should have just left it at that, instead of also adding the "Even if she did have a romantic plot, it doesn't have to be with Durkon".
    It's to late, the shippers have begun. We can already hear the Ba-bums in the deep, we cannot get out. A Shadow moves in the dark... We cannot get out... They are coming.
    Now, Back to Lurking!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I think I'm going to defer to his wiser judgment in this case, because I'm probably going to keep writing responses and that will only lead to me getting myself in trouble somehow.
    - I should follow this advice more often.

Belkar's Death Countdown best guess: 31/49 days used before Belkar is gone forever more! - updated to morning at 1190!

Hey, its the Blog where I write! Dice Roles

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Windscion View Post
    And they previously bonded over girl-talk about blasting some skank running off with your man.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

16. - Top - End - #106

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by The Pilgrim View Post
    Now if Belkar ended up kissing Durkon, V's theory about his proto-brain would definitely become a proven fact.
    I would hope Mr. Scruffy has disproved this theory.

17. - Top - End - #107

GreataxeFighterGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Why, but thanks to Bigsby’d druken-comrades-lifting hand of course.
    Vaarsuvius can already see that and disapproves.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ornithologist View Post
    Also, some people like to/need to drink before boarding aircraft to help their nerves.
    Yeah, I think the parallel was intentional here, particularly with Belkar mentioning an hour to kill waiting for a flight.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Dwarf in the Playground

So if this is strip 1180+1, does this mean the next strip will be strip 1182?

20. - Top - End - #110

MindFlayer

The strip is just titled "+1" and refers to Minrah deciding to stick around.

So the next strip would still be 1181

21. - Top - End - #111
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Major Plot Twist Prediction (OotSMPTP): Hilgya is a vampire now, and hooks up with Xykon’s crew. She brings along Kudzu.
    That occurred to me, too. I don't think it's terribly likely, since i don't think Hilgya is important enough as a character. But i wasn't expecting Minrah to join the team long-term either, and here we are.
    "Are the gods not just?"
    "Oh no, child. What would become of us if they were?"

22. - Top - End - #112
    Pixie in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by drazen View Post
    I'd like to think Durkon would be able to get off a Regeneration or at least a Cure Disease (Arthritis) for his ma.
    A cure disease (Arthritis), could see. But his Ma's not going to let Durkon cast that regeneration. Not now, not ever. Because the simple reason is she doesn't WANT to be regenerated. If she'd wanted a regeneration, there are so many ways she could have got one. But she doesn't want it. Because her hand is still holding the hand of her husband. Now, and forever. She NEVER LET GO.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gordreg View Post
    A cure disease (Arthritis), could see. But his Ma's not going to let Durkon cast that regeneration. Not now, not ever. Because the simple reason is she doesn't WANT to be regenerated. If she'd wanted a regeneration, there are so many ways she could have got one. But she doesn't want it. Because her hand is still holding the hand of her husband. Now, and forever. She NEVER LET GO.
    (Bolding mine)
    ...No, she explicitly said, in the memory explaining why Durkon became a Cleric, that Clerics who can cast Regeneration are rare enough that at the time, Odin's High Priest was the only Dwarf who could cast the spell. Durkon becoming a Cleric so he could cast the spell himself was, in Durkon's eyes at least, the most reasonable course of action to getting her a Regeneration.
    Last edited by HorizonWalker; 2019-09-16 at 02:38 PM.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Orc in the Playground

Minrah has a narrative role - same one she had before.
    She allows the author to constantly recap stuff that he needs to tell us again for newer readers (or those that took a while)

So next book when they start recapping about who Redcloak and Xykon are, he has an audience.

It also gives an option of opening a dialogue with an old character the Oots wouldn't want to go near.

As a random example, if Sabine has a message for the party nobody would listen to her. But Minarh has no idea who she is so she'll have a nice chat with her.

Heck, it could be that she becomes friendly with one of the goblins.

For all we know, she'll probably retire before the battle with the big bad. Possibly go on a short side quest or have to stay behind and heal minor characters...?
    In addition to all of those excellent reasons for keeping her nearby, she's also the only mortal besides Durkon to have talked with Thor. She knows the importance of trying to get The Dark One to buy into the new plan to trap the Snarl. And she doesn't have history with RedCloak.

I don't know how the Giant will do it (which is one of the great reasons I'm still reading this strip, all these years later), but it may be that Minrah will be essential to enlisting the Dark One's assistance in the rest of the main plot.

Still curious how Hilgya/Durkon/Kudzu is going to shake out.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ornithologist View Post
    You know, I appreciate Roy's attempt to be as genre aware as Elan is. I'd call that a moderately successful untrained skill check. Also, I'm not sure that the beer is helping or hurting the roll.
    Not really about your quote, though it is nice to see Roy learning from the talents of his other party members, but I had a question about your sig, and Belkar's upcoming death.

Does the calendar in Stickworld resemble the calendar on Earth? I.e., is the Winter Solstice there also 9-10 days from the New Year? If so, if the Godsmoot was on the Solstice, doesn't that mean Belkar's got 8-9 comic days left, max?

Which will likely only elapse at the very end of the whole OOTS saga, but that's still shorter than 20-ish days to go.

26. - Top - End - #116

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by arverst_aegnar View Post
    That occurred to me, too. I don't think it's terribly likely, since i don't think Hilgya is important enough as a character. But i wasn't expecting Minrah to join the team long-term either, and here we are.
    I just hope MitD has a chance to not eat a baby, and Kudzu is the first baby we’ve seen so far.

I know MitD technically doesn’t eat babies in every strip.

But still, my very very incorrect prediction for the end of the strip is that MitD actually doesn’t eat a baby for real.

27. - Top - End - #117

Quote Originally Posted by Hekko View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    Being taken out by a stray shot from Hilgya doesn't really bode well for her ability to throw down with Xykon and Redcloak.
    That was a direct hit after she was already blinded.
    And hit by Mass Inflict Serious Wounds, and sporting a wound from an off-panel injury, and stabbed by Belkar, and stabbed multiple times by Belkar off-panel before being stabbed again by Belkar.
    If you can read this you are too close.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    Not really about your quote, though it is nice to see Roy learning from the talents of his other party members, but I had a question about your sig, and Belkar's upcoming death.

Does the calendar in Stickworld resemble the calendar on Earth? I.e., is the Winter Solstice there also 9-10 days from the New Year? If so, if the Godsmoot was on the Solstice, doesn't that mean Belkar's got 8-9 comic days left, max?

Which will likely only elapse at the very end of the whole OOTS saga, but that's still shorter than 20-ish days to go.
    Was this stated? I don't remember. I think there are only 2-3 weeks left before the end of the OOTS calendar year, in any case.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Was this stated? I don't remember.
    The Godsmoot started two days after the on the winter solstice.

EDIT: On reflection, I think Veldrina means the Godsmoot was on the winter solstice and it'd taken two of the three days' notice to get as far as Tinkertown.
    Last edited by Jasdoif; 2019-09-16 at 03:11 PM. Reason: why Am I capitalizing random Words today/
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

30. - Top - End - #120
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Yes on the air travel connection. If I've gotta waste time in an airport between flights, you know I'm gonna locate the nearest beer.