The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

d20 OOC: The Axe of the Burning Desert [4E]

Welcome to The Axe of the Burning Desert campaign!

Before we begin, there are a few issues and rules we need to cover:

1. Please post a link your character sheet in your first OOC post. Please include your character's backstory (if it is not included with your character sheet).

2. Please select a speech color. As DM I get first dibs and I select Maroon and Saddle Brown.

3. Please include your character's name at the top of every IC post you make.

4. Please state whether you are for, against or neutral to the idea of "math fixing" (i.e. a free expertise and defense feat).

5. We will be using Google Sheets a lot. Please note the tabs at the bottom (Battle Grid, Combat Sheet, Plot Hooks, Map, NPCs, Loot and Icons).

6. The first tab at the Battle Grid. This will serve as our Battle Map. I have designated Map Icon names to each player and NPC present on the map. The Terrain features are described in the far right column. If there are any special rules, they will be listed as well. You have the right to move your map icon around.

7. Go to the Combat Sheet. Essentially this sheet speeds up play in that when you make an attack roll on the Forum, you can take that number and put it into the "AC" of the bad guy you are targeting. The "Hit?" column will tell you if you hit or not. If you do, input your damage in one of the "dmg" boxes for that bad guy. When the bad guy hits 1/2 HP, the "Status" column will switch from "In Good Shape" to "Bloodied". When the monster hits Zero HP, the "Damage" column will indicate that the bad guy is "DEAD". Note, this sheet will be how I keep track of your HP. Please make sure to input your character's HP, AC, Touch, Flat Footed, etc.

8. Plot Hooks. This tab will keep track of major and minor plot hooks for both the group and each player.

9. The Map is a reference tool which will be updated as we play.

10. The NPC tab is also a reference tool that will list the NPCs that you have encountered. It is helpful for reminders considering the pace that PbP travels at some times. You have the right to add and update things to this column (in fact, I encourage it)!

11. Icons. Icons will be a storehouse for the Battle Grid Icons that I will utilize in the campaign.

12. If you guys and gals are interested, I set up a Discord channel that we can utilize for chatting. You do not need to join if you do not want to. :) LINK

CHARACTERS:
    • Broken Antler
    • Cloth
    • Qephetzial
    • Sohwa
    • Surina

Spoiler: The Original Recruitment Thread
    Show
    CLOSED TO NEW INTEREST

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hail and welcome mukamba!

The Northlands have been our people's homeland for countless generations... Then the Vamwe came. We greeted them with open arms and they returned our kindness with death and slaughter. The humans chased our people from the plains. The elves threw our people out of the forests. The dwarves flung our people from the mountains. There are few places left on this blasted continent where our people can live proud and free. Every single day, the borders of our marshy lands are encroached upon by the Vamwe butchers. Just yesterday, a band of Vamwe "adventurers" chanced upon Camp Rusun. Those animals slaughtered the warriors, killed the she-folk and left the crying children and wailing babes among the mangled corpses of their kin. Armed with the Hammer of Reddawn, I lead a contingent of braves to track the animals down. We found them in the Caves of Shattermantle. We lit a great bonfire outside the entrance and smoked the "heroes" out. As they burst through the cave entrance, we set upon them with the same animalistic ferocity with which they set upon our people at Camp Rusun. We left none alive. The slaughter of the Vamwe was as quick as it was decisive but... The memory of our fallen kinfolk will linger in the hearts and minds of those younglings for the rest of their lives.

The murder of the "adventurers" will attract more "adventurers". The deaths of those "adventurers" will draw yet more "adventurers". Our territory shrinks each and every day. Worse, our numbers dwindle after each battle. It is time, mukamba, time to leave this blasted continent once and for all. It is time for us to find a new homeland, a place where we can live PROUD and FREE! A land free from the horrors that haunt every inch of this continent. Soon, we shall sail south, for the long-forgotten continent of Renje! Soon, mukambe, we will find happiness and freedom. Soon, we shall be safe!

- The Wild King

Welcome to the Exploration of the Renje campaign!

The basic premise is that you are a member of a Mahara, a so-called "monster" race. Your people have been harassed and hunted like animals. You were forced from your homelands by the malevolent Vamwe, so-called "common races." You and your people endured great hardships as they were chased further and further away from their homeland, and deeper and deeper into more and more marginal land. Ten years ago, the Wild King - a goliath barbarian of great renown - united the Mahara of all races under a single banner. Coalescing in and around the impregnable Bronzelight Marsh, the Mahara believed they had found freedom and safety. For a time, the monster races were truly free...

Then the adventurers came. Band after band, party after party, group after group... Their unrelenting might whittled the defenses of the Mahara down until the Wild King had no choice but to gather his people up and sail for unknown shores. Your people come from a northern land, a land known for its long, hard winters and short, wet summers. The lands of the Renje are the opposite. The Renje is an unrelentingly hot desert with long, summers and a short, viciously rainy monsoon season. Yet the Vamwe are not to be found in the Renje and for that, the ancestors and spirits must be praised! In a defensible valley, the town of Reddawn was created. From this settlement shall spring forth a new homeland for the Mahara! A homeland of peace, prosperity and freedom!

Yet the Mahara are not the only ones to call the Renje home. Vile Kruthiks stalk the ashen wastelands around Mount Umberburn; Bluespawn Stormlizards stampede across the Stormfeast Plateau; far to the south, hulking chuul haunt the Bloodsorrow Lakes; while elementals roam around the Dreamingchain Vale. The Wild King requires the aid of heroes to tame this land and make it safe for all Mahara. You are one such hero and your journey begins today...

Spoiler: The Big 16
    Show
    1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)? D&D 4th Edition

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)? Exploration and adventure in a perilous land fraught with many dangers.

3.How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many? 4 or 5, maybe 6.

4.What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)? GitP forums.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)? Level 3

6.How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?

1x Level 3 magic item
    1x Level 2 magic item
    1x Level 4 magic item
    and enough gold to purchase of a level 2 item.

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes? All 4E classes are legal (Original-style and Essential-style classes are fine).

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? You may be any legal 4th edition race EXCEPT Humans, Elves, Dwarves, Halflings and Gnomes.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points? Standard point buy for 4E.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so? Don't be "for the lulz" evil

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it? Yes, as per the normal rules.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? Roll on the forums.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules. Character Themes and Backgrounds will be used. We will use the Fixed Enhancement Bonuses from Dark Sun.

Play By Post is amazing as it allows people who cannot join together at a singular time to actually game together. However, the format does have a number of unique problems, specifically with Immediate interrupts and reactions. Combat is already slow but if we have to wait on people to perform Immediate interrupts/reactions and, worse, backtrack to accommodate those actions, it can make combats (and the game more generally) ultra messy and difficult to follow. So with that in mind, I would like to minimize the number of Immediate interrupts/reactions players have to the barest minimum (preferably none, if possible but I know that might be difficult for some classes). I am totally willing to swap things around and accomodate you if you have an idea for a replacement ability or a way to fix the immediate interrupt/reaction. :)

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)? Tell me about your character and their people. Is your clan or tribe large or small? How did they come to join the Wild King? Did they join the Muhara early or did they come seeking aide shortly before the Wild King set sail? Which of the common races were your people's primary enemy? Who were they and why did they fight your people? Was your character a leader of his people? Well respected? Reviled? Was your character just a member of the clan or tribe who happened to rise to the challenge set before them?

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above? A mix.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters? Any official 4th edition material is fine. I own most of the books.
    Last edited by Felhammer; 2019-09-17 at 03:08 PM.
    DMing:
    The Hammer of the Barren Coast - IC / OOC / Doc
    The Axe of the Burning Desert - IC / OOC / Doc

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: OOC: The Axe of the Burning Desert [4E]

dibs on purple

Hello everyone, I'm Cloth, the Thri-Kreen Monk.
    Spoiler: Cúl-auth's Background
    Show
    Cúl-auth was born with an awakened mind, with expanded knowledge like she was already mature from the moment of birth, which only helped her to train her body ever since she was little. Because she was also born camouflage-less (with purple chitin), she was always thought of as someone who would be unable to hide, thus unable to hunt. So, she trained alone, strengthening her body and mind. She realized very early on that the world of the Thri-Kreen was not one for her, and she wanted to explore more the world, discover more about the creatures of flesh.

She proved herself by killing a group of Giant Weasels and bringing them all to the pack, then gathered her things and quit the pack to explore the world. Sci'Zrak followed her, saying he wants to know more about nature and the world. Cúl-auth doesn't believe that's his only motive, but she also doesn't care enough to confront him about it. They spent an year going through the Marsh, finding merchants and surviving until they found the Wild King.

Because of the way Thri-Kreen live, the pack didn't interfere with the Wild King, living just like random beasts in the wild, living neutrally. As such, the younger Thri-Kreens, such as these travelers, had never heard of him before. After some difficulty in being able to properly communicate, specially regarding their names, the newly named "Cloth" and "Scissors" joined the tribe of the Wild King, with the promise of a long travel that finally came to be.

Damn, two campaigns! I didn't expect that! Thanks for choosing me Fel, I missed your excel battle sheet Are we making a discord or are we keeping it in-forums?
    Last edited by Taya; 2019-09-16 at 12:47 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Taya View Post
    dibs on purple

Hello everyone, I'm Cloth, the Thri-Kreen Monk.
    Spoiler: Cúl-auth's Background
    Show
    Cúl-auth was born with an awakened mind, with expanded knowledge like she was already mature from the moment of birth, which only helped her to train her body ever since she was little. Because she was also born camouflage-less (with purple chitin), she was always thought of as someone who would be unable to hide, thus unable to hunt. So, she trained alone, strengthening her body and mind. She realized very early on that the world of the Thri-Kreen was not one for her, and she wanted to explore more the world, discover more about the creatures of flesh.

She proved herself by killing a group of Giant Weasels and bringing them all to the pack, then gathered her things and quit the pack to explore the world. Sci'Zrak followed her, saying he wants to know more about nature and the world. Cúl-auth doesn't believe that's his only motive, but she also doesn't care enough to confront him about it. They spent an year going through the Marsh, finding merchants and surviving until they found the Wild King.

Because of the way Thri-Kreen live, the pack didn't interfere with the Wild King, living just like random beasts in the wild, living neutrally. As such, the younger Thri-Kreens, such as these travelers, had never heard of him before. After some difficulty in being able to properly communicate, specially regarding their names, the newly named "Cloth" and "Scissors" joined the tribe of the Wild King, with the promise of a long travel that finally came to be.

Damn, two campaigns! I didn't expect that! Thanks for choosing me Fel, I missed your excel battle sheet Are we making a discord or are we keeping it in-forums?
    Hi Taya!

We could totally do another Discord Chat if you would like :)

Discord
    DMing:

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Calling pink.

Here's Surina, the Dragonborn Invoker. And here's who she is:
    Spoiler: Surina's Background
    Show
    Surina:

Surina stands a little over 6 feet, as with most of her kin. She is covered with bronze scales from head to toe, including her wings, and red eyes. Unusually for her race, she felt called by the gods; a few of her egg-mates chose to take on martial professions, while most honed their arcane arts. She received training both in a series of draconian temples and then in the marsh militia, where she and her unit survived an attack by chuul nymphs. As they rotated out, however, they ran into a force of elves sneaking through the trees, and over the course of a long, hard fight, most of her unit was destroyed. The few survivors made it out only when a trio of adult chuul came to check on their spawn, massacring the elves in the process while the marsh militia beat a hasty retreat. Undaunted, she has finished her training term, and is eager to make her mark in the world. The Wild King has been recruiting those with combat experience, and she has gladly volunteered.

Race (I'm being a bit inventive with the latter part):

Surina is a Draconian. Her race is descended from the egg of a Bronze Dragon, inheriting its coloration and to some degree its wings, but her race has been perverted from true dragons. Many of her siblings have the traditional Bozak trait of exploding when killed, but she has inherited the lightning breath of her draconic progenitor. While there are many stories about the original draconians, the one she believes- backed by several of the temples- is that a group of halflings attempted to poison the eggs of the metallic dragons, and while many were destroyed, others hatched clutches of draconians.

Religion (again, being a bit inventive): Surina worships a total of four gods, known in the draconian temples as "the 2-in-1 and the 1." Like many draconically related creatures, she worships both Bahamut and Tiamat, recognizing the value of both strife and hope, protection and vengeance. She also follows Io, which might seem a bit odd, because Io is supposed to be dead- split into Bahamut and Tiamat. Yet Io combines the values of both in one entity, and moreover, seems to still grant prayers, which implies that perhaps he lives on in some fashion. The last- "the 1"- is, oddly enough, the goddess of their hated enemies; Avandra. The draconian temples believe that the goddess of the halflings was angered at her followers' actions and bestowed her favor on the draconians. They believe that luck favors the bold, and they are bold to the point of arrogance; that you should strike back at those who would rob you of freedom, and the Vamwe are certainly that, and that change is inevitable, but can be turned to the good- and that Avandra decided to change, rather than allow to be destroyed, the eggs of the metallic dragons.

Edit: Equipment. Surina uses a (Accurate) Rod of the Dragonborn as her primary implement, flavoring all of her spells with her lightning breath. Her gauntlets have a small axe attached to it, the primary use of which is for her to prick herself- it has a bit of blood magic, which lets her use her natural additional talents as though she was rather hurt. And she wears Dwarven Armor, taken and modified from a dwarf that attacked her temple.

Doesn't look like anyone else is in Discord at the moment.

I tend to like the math fix feats, simply because I tend to take them but would really prefer taking others.
    Last edited by masteraleph; 2019-09-16 at 04:42 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Also, that is a gorgeous battle sheet.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: If you want some backstory it's not very illuminating
    Show

On Shades

The Shades tribe were already a peculiar, reclusive folk. When not being driven from their home by one faction or another, they were known to be fleeing from another. Some say that they were once an insane cult of Vamwe who fed on Mahara until they became what they ate, or at least tried to eat something more powerful than themselves and cursed into this half-existing state. The Shades claim not to know what happened, or at the very least, they wish they had forgotten. Dwarves are not fond of Shades, as they are often found unwelcome in their caves.

Some are more cursed than others. These shapeshifters are untrusted even amongst the Shades.

The Shades tribe is of an unknown size, and they didn't join the Wild King so much as more and more of them have appeared randomly in his camps.

On Qephetzial
    Qephetzial is a pariah among pariah. As a rare, twice cursed Shade, she's unpopular with the others. Perhaps this is what led her to the King, as she was in fact the first Shade who arrived to aid him. She proved her worth by providing valuable intel on arriving adventuring parties.

Qephetzial is quite old, or at the very least, she's been around as long as anyone can remember. It's said that the greatest curses are reserved for those who committed the greatest sins, and that one cursed such as her must be one of the Shade's greatest sinners. Her approaching the Wild King was considered unusually forward for a Shade, as they believe that creatures more powerful than themselves are the source of the curses that brought them to this state. This leads many, Shade and others alike, to believe that she had been the source of the original curse, and as such, the Shades treat her with both apprehension and reverence.
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2019-09-16 at 05:26 PM.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by masteraleph View Post
    I tend to like the math fix feats, simply because I tend to take them but would really prefer taking others.
    I also like it. Otherwise either people waste a feat-slot with them, or those who not do so end up falling behind the 4e math.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

The other campaign all voted for the fixing feats, and three of the five of you here have voted for them as well, so I think it is a safe bet that motion will pass here as well. So feel free to take your feats

Quote Originally Posted by masteraleph View Post
    Also, that is a gorgeous battle sheet.
    Thank you :)
    Last edited by Felhammer; 2019-09-17 at 01:16 PM.
    DMing:

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Hello hello, really psyched for this campaign, thanks for putting it together Fel!

I'll be playing Broken Antler, Stag-Headed Minotaur Shaman.

Ability List

A skirt-length background is below:

One of the last of the stag-headed minotaur subspecies, hunted as trophy monsters and exotic kills by the bands of Vamwe. Broken Antler is a devoted follower of the Wild King and is committed to creating a new homeland in Renje for the dwindling remains of his people. As his people's Caller, he is responsible for their history and for their spiritual guidance. He can call on the spirits of their ancestors and their totem spirits, channelling memories of icy tundra, vast mountains, shuddering storms, and powerful beasts of horn and claw. He will bring all of these to bear for the Mahara, his extended clan, so that they may prosper together.

Broken Antler is less quick to anger than is typical for his minotaur brethren, but 'ware the poor soul who incites him to wrath. Less quick to anger does not mean assertive or weak, however, as Broken Antler is possessed of an indomitable spirit and a fatalistic perspective brought on by the stark reality that he is one of the last of his species. The weight of the duty of keeping his people's memory alive hangs heavy, but welcome, on his shoulders. He will carry his people into the Renje and beyond and reclaim their way of life. He's a bit stubborn, but ultimately a protector rather than a fighter.

Broken Antler will speak in Dark Green as befits his primal background.

Also in favour of feat taxes for what it's worth. As someone who loves choosing feats for flavour rather than mechanics, I appreciate being able to free up a slot for something more fun. I assume we will start with the free feat? In such a case, I'll need to replace my Totem Expertise feat with something else.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

DMing:

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Hi, everyone!

Glad i've got to be in the party with the characters that have interested me the most. )

The personal backstory is finally ready. I haven't intended for it to be a doorstopper, i swear; it just got away a bit. (It's still skirt lenght; i'm just fond of long skirts.)

Anyway, it should provide a decent idea of both Sohwa and his closest connections among the Mahara. Hope it's not too over the top; i tried to make a "not-actually-all-that-big fish in a small pound" sort of story, with his past powers and achievements sounding impressive without a context but in fact amounting to being, at his most powerful, a CR 3-4 boss or so, and now having none of that remain anyway.

Spoiler: Personal backstory
    Show
    "Sorcery".

A whispered word. Quiet, subtle, sensitive. So suited to rakshasa senses.

The Vamwe don't have patience for sorcery; they channel magic. The word itself is mighty; thunderous; forceful. And the words seldom lie, though not many can hear them behind the intent.

Is it any wonder, then, that a burst of magic can render a sorcerer deaf and helpless — crippled by his very attunement?

The first lesson of the Pride is superiority.

To rise above the others, a Rakshasa needs to _be_ above the others. Inborn talents are like claws: they go to waste if not honed.
    From the age they can crawl, the spawn are trained to excel. No matter what's the field of study — occultism, philosophy, swordplay or wordplay — the young must never lose their wit. As cats land on their feet, so must a predator orient itself in any matter or activity, familiar or not.
    Over the years, the pressure gets raised, until demands for excellence turn into demands for the impossible. Eventually, the rebellious run away. The obedient — ones who keep trying until they break — are denied any sympathy when they do, and cast away violently. The Pride is vicious towards anyone who shows vulnerability; their own spawn are not to be excluded, but to be taught the same.

The second lesson of the Pride is observation.

To know the hunt, one has to know the hunger; to truly want, one has to first go wanting. No action in this world goes without a consequence. Influencing it is easy; the trick is to do so with a lightest touch. A spawn raised in luxury for too long is spoiled; to grow cunning, magical and mighty, yet careless, impulsive and destructive — that is a destiny fit for a dragon, but a Rakshasa mush know better.

To learn this, the spawn aren't just forced to walk among the other people — but to hide among them; made known to be fair game to all other rakshasas, they are purposefully hunted both by their kin and by their kin's playthings. The way to survive is to observe, adapt and blend in flawlessly, and to bid your time until all your pieces are in place.

Sohwa made his descent into power in the windswept highlands of the Brownridge. A lot of blood kept being spilled among the orcish tribes inhabiting those; it was easy to pass for a young warrior from some defeated and scattered clan or another. Arena fighting, an ever-popular sport among the orc, allowed one to gain both gold and renown if one was able to defeat the experienced, heavy-built veterans of arena; a hidden Rakshasa, using sorcery to cheat ever so slightly and a sword to wound them from beyond the reach of their heavy axes, has been all set. The hard part was to lose often enough to avoid suspicion, without getting mauled and crippled by some vengeful ex-champion.

So he rose: first, a gladiator; then, a sellsword, using the winnings for protective charms and healing items to survive the coming battles; then, a mercenary warlord, nurturing a growing band of loyal orcs, gnolls and hobgoblins.

During this time, Sohwa — known then as Raul — made a point of avoiding the mistakes he's been warned about in his youth, which other warlords seemed all too eager to make. He stuck to prior agreements when faced with bigger profit, rewarded loyalty among his servants, payed his respects to shamans and sages, and negotiated for payment in magic items and boons rather than in gold. It had been a risk, of being seen as soft, but such a risk had to be taken in order to play the long game. After all, Sohwa has not been after mere riches; he was building himself a power base. And for that, he needed true servants.

One half-orc in particular had earned the right to be far more than a servant. First met at the arena, Toros joined Sohwa later in his mercenary career and had never let him down. Among the inevitable chaos of the warband, Toros could always be relied upon to do his job and organise others to do theirs. Loyal without being slavish, ambitious yet not too independent, and reliable to the extreme, Toros eventually became a trusted friend. Whenever Sohwa would take a small contingent on a mission, he would leave Toros to manage the camp in his stead. When Sohwa eventually disposed with his Raul persona and assumed the leadership under his own name, he trusted Toros to act as his "successor" and pledge the band's loyalty to the Rakshasa "newcomer"; and so Toros did, without a failure.

Sohwa had also met Dracene during his time on the Brownridge. An orcish druidess about as young as he was, Dracene had a voice that could sing tears of sorrow out of a rock, along with the wisdom of a mountain and the fighting tenacity of a stegosaurus. Eventually, Sohwa had revealed himself to her. With her tribe's blessing, he took Dracene for a mate, to bear his spawn and sate his desires.

Over the time, the political landscape around them had changed. Wars between the tribes became rare; now, most wars were with the Vamwe. Where the Mahara - whether an orc, gnoll or hobgoblin - saw the few forests still habitable by the spirits, all necessary to keep the land alive, the Vamwe saw first-class wood reserves for their shipyards. Where the Mahara buried their ancestors, the Vamwe sought rare ores. And the slaughter of the Mahara has been viewed by the Vamwe as entirely justified, since those savages are killing each other all the time anyway, right?
    The biggest trouble with the Vamwe was, they always moved in force. The tribes could ambush the scouting parties and attack the supply lines, but no tribe, and no warband, has been strong enough to attack a fortified army camp, numbering tens of thousands. And once such an army approached a camp or a settlement, the Mahara had no choice but to vacate it.

The tribes fought, and the tribes lost. When the news have passed about the Wild King and about the retreat of the Mahara to the Bronzelight Marsh, most remaining tribes tried to left the Brownridge. Sohwa, however, chose to stay, viewing the deserted land as an opportunity. Reorganising his people into more bandits than mercenaries, he began raiding Vamwe caravans and looting the abandoned Mahara villages all the same.
    With his military forces being only good for small skirmishes, he turned over to mysticism. Surrounding himself with the shamans and magicians who were too old or too dutiful to leave, Sohwa looted once-sacred temples in search of power relics; woke elemental spirits to force blessings out of them; and made animal sacrifices to the bloody gods. He didn't really care about the powers he calles upon, nor bother to fully learn their legends; only that they were powers, and it was better to disturb them for himself than leave to the Vamwe wizards. He was not out to offer his worship, but to make pacts and bargains.

Not every such endeavour has been a success; but not all were failures, either. After quite some years, his body and soul now marked for possession, Sohwa became a vessel of darkness, a champion of the vengeful spirits, and a father of two happy litters of his very own spawn.

His followers, meanwhile, suffered greatly. Diminished in numbers, hunted like rabid dogs on a territory now fully controlled by the Vamwe, they were forced to hide in bogs and caves while their leader cared more about the offerings than about the food. Only Toros' leadership kept them together, and even Toros felt it's time for Sohwa to act.

So Sohwa did. Using his new powers to summon a host of lesser shadows, so his living followers would come to no harm, he led them through the enemy lines and into the lowlands, where the remaining gnoll tribes had, too, clung stubbornly to their ancestral land. There he struck the final deal. Long ago, five terrible weapons had been given to five tribes around the world for safekeeping; one of them, the sword Gon'Chaya — "the hound of the dark" — had been since watched by the shamans of the Poisonroot tribe. None truly remembered anymore what kind of dark deity had given the sword its powers, but it had been their sacred duty to never let Gon'Chaya taste the fresh air ever again.

Sohwa came, and Sohwa argued. The seers of the tribe had protected the sword for any kind of thief or would-be conqueror bent on obtaining its power; but now the tribe itself was to fall for reasons entirely unrelated, and the sword would get free anyway. Isn't the situation desperate enough, Sohwa asked, to actually use it themselves? Isn't it possible that it is the key to breaking the might of the Vamwe?

The shamans listened, and the shamans ultimately agreed. Gon'Chaya had been given to the Rakshasa, and the two remaining gnoll tribes, numbering mere hundreds each yet full of bloodlust to the last pup, united under him, intent on a sacred war. Sohwa moved against the nearby Vamwe castle, and the Vamwe, alerted by some "adventurers" that kept getting in his way yet had been a bit too late to stop him each time, mobilised an army to meet him in the open (like the fools they are).

The armies clashed; the creatures of shade and illusion and the raging gnolls in the vanguard, while Sohwa's best forces were left in back under Toros' command. The Vamwe's superior numbers mattered not in the coming onslaught; however, the presence of "holy" paladins, clerics of the Light and academy wizards among them did matter very much. With fireballs and lightning bolts denting holes in Sohwa's horde, and the paladins just refusing to die, the tide of attackers had eventually turned into a tide of blood and corpses, choking upon itself.

That was not a defeat, however. In fact, Sohwa had planned for that occasion; that's why he kept his prised followers away from the bloodshed. While it would be great if the gnolls could win, in the end they were just a sacrifice. The real plan was to use all this blood and death, on both sides, to power Gon'Chaya; to use the evil blade to bring doom upon every living soul on the battlefield. Now everything happened just like the whispers of the blade had promised. The flow of souls, and of pain and death, welled around Sohwa and washed him with deathly energies, and palpably coalesced in his palms into a dread spell that-

Had been hit by a cleric's counter spell-

Broken through by a beam of pure will and wonder and radiance, bright and loud and intolerable-

And dispersed without a trace.

For sorcery is a whispered art. Quiet, subtle, sensitive. It is woven, not forged. And when wielded incorrectly, pitched against the solid magic in a direct contest of power — it doesn't matter how strong it is; the magic will just wash it away.

Everything Sohwa had invested himself with, had dissipated without a trace. The threads of power haven't been negated or broken so much as disjuncted and rendered unto vapour. And then the disjunction blast crashed on him.

IT

WAS

0000LOUD0000

And Sohwa went deaf.

He survived the battle, but only because the Vamwe claimed him as a prisoner. Apparently, the Vamwe had fought numerous other rakshasas, some far mightier than Sohwa managed to become; so their wizards have imprisoned him in a binding circle, of all things, in hopes of either forcing the Rakshasa into servitude, or making him reveal some common weakess of his kind. He did neither, of course, but he hasn't been able to do much harm to them either, defiant insults nonwithstanding; nor could he gather much knowledge about their magic, for even if the circle haven't been keeping him in place, his senses were destroyed by the clash of energies. All he could do was to think over his past decisions, and contemplate the mistakes he made; after all, he allowed himself to be blinded by too much power long before the battle, and at some point, betrayed his own nature and instinct by acting instead of feeling.

Eventually, his freedom came, in form of another young rakshasi sent to bust him out. The Pride does care about their own. On their (mostly hers; he fought, but only as well as a starving orc) bloody way out, they have even stopped to pick up Gon'Chaya; disjuncted or not, the blade was still a historical artifact, and a potential receptacle for new powers. No trace of old ones remained in the blade, though, no matter how hard Sohwa looked for it afterwards; it was just an ordinary ancient sword now, well-crafted but in a pretty bad shape.

It turned out that the Wild King had decided to leave the Bronzelight Marsh, and the Pride had been gathering their own for the departure. Having nowhere better to go, Sohwa went along, though he couldn't contribute much nor had the will to. He shunned the company of other rakshasas; what place could he have among them? He failed to beat the Vamwe even after taking years to prepare; he failed to save the gnolls that trusted him with their lives; he failed to even consider their lives over the bloodlust he'd fallen into, and he failed to escape the imprisonment on his own. He was a failure.

Of course, other rakshasas weren't faring better. It was a retreat, after all; everyone has been losing, and the war took its toll on everyone. No Mahwe had been well off, and everyone would have a story of shame and powerlessness, if Sohwa cared to listen. But at the time, he haven't.

So the Mahwe left. Even in the sea, other rakshasas were contributing: under the guidance of the Rajas, they wove illusions and elements to hide the ships' passage, so the Mahwe who would try to follow the fleet would get lost and thrown out of the way. Sohwa could not take part; he tried commanding the arcane, and almost burned down the sails. It was better for him to just rest and recover his strenght; and so he took to sitting in the crow's nest, swaying with the wind and observing the endless waves. Those quiet hours, he eventually found, began to recover his mystical senses; but only by a small margin, measuring in mere cantrips at first, and he had to avoid overextending himself even on those.

Eventually, the journey was over; the Mahwe stepped into the Renje, and Reddawn was created. There, Sohwa had the most unexpected meeting. Toros, it turned out, was alive and well; once Sohwa lost the battle, Toros led the band out of the encirclement and eventually made it to the Bronzelight Marsh. Now he commanded a unit of warriors, made in part of Sohwa's former followers, though him assuming any kind of leadership over them again was out of the question. In addition, Toros had been taking care of Dracene and her and Sohwa's spawn; they were all alive and well, which was far more than Sohwa had hoped.

Toros wanted no gratitude, though. Rather, he gave Sohwa a verbal lashing. All the other rakshasas were already making divinations into the new land, or seeking the traces of their kind's old history in it; only the will of the Rajas, who supported the King Among Wild Folk's careful attitude, kept them from exploring all over the land. Thing is, each of those rakshasas had, too, lost something — whether their wealth, their anonymity, their followers or their very own limbs. There were literal cripples out there who did more than Sohwa so far thought of doing; and magic or not, Toros knew that Sohwa could damn well fight if he just stopped sitting in the sun and got himself into shape.

Toros had been very convincing. At last, Sohwa admitted to himself that it's time for a new beginning, a fresh start. It is a matter of pride now: if he waits for his powers to fully return, he will be hopelessly outpaced by others by the time they will. Instead, he has to make do with what he's got.

He has to be among those who'll make a name for themselves as the first conquerors and explorers of this new land. He shall be among the first to claim new sources of power, thus restoring his honor and reputation; he will go about it openly, not in a shapeshifted face, so that nobody can accuse him of trying to avoid his disgrace. And he will no more let down those who believe in him.

Thus swore Sohwa, son of Arushat, on his damned soul; and right after he did, Toros had gleefully surprised him by telling that he'd been asked for a brave to send on an expedition, and had some trouble picking the right warrior. It's good that this matter has now been settled, isn't it?

Now, on to the required.

1. This is my current character sheet. I will soon update it with the math fix feats.
    This post has the racial part of the backstory, much less personal and more world-building than the one above.
    (To clarify, the mentioned "slightly above a thousand" number is for all rakshasas of the Pride, including the majority that stayed in the North; there's absolutely no need to cram a thousand rakshasas into the current situation, though four of their Rajas are present somewhere. Unless they aren't, it's the DM's world.)

2. It's a Rakshasa; i think i'll claim Golden Rod, if nobody has trouble reading it.

4. I support the notion of "math fixing" feats as free bonus feats, and it's nice they got accepted.
    However, i'd like to know the specifics. Do we get them at the start, or does one or both of them come later in levels? (The NAD math doesn't really require a fix before late Heroic-early Pagaron.) Which feats do qualify? (One expertise feat and one defense feat, but does the defense feat have to be Improved Defenses/Superior Reflex/Fortitude/Will, or can i take, e. g., Unarmored Agility (which is also a feat tax for cloth-wearing characters) right now, and pick up Improved Defences sometime later as my regular feat?)

7. My character will often roll Bluff against an enemy's passive Insight (due to the changeling racial ability). Is it possible to include passive insight alongside their defences, so that the "Hit" column will also immediately tell if this ability is a success or not?

And one more question/statement: being a Defender, Berserker is among those classes that can't go completely without out-of-turn actions. However, it got the simplest possible way of having them, even compared to the other Defenders: all his punishments take an Opportunity action, not an Immediate action, so there's no situation where a Berserker would go "no, wait, I shouldn't punish THIS enemy or i won't be able to hit THAT one". If you misbehave in any way, the Berserker just hits you in your face.
    The flipside is that if there are multiple enemies next to him, the Berserker can punish each of them between a single set of his turns.

So the question is, how we're going to go about it? And the statement is: since it's just hitting their faces, with no choices involved, i'm okay if, in the name of speed of play, the DM will just assume that Sohwa punishes at every opportunity, and will roll the attack (and damage, if necessary) himself without interrupting the monster's turn.

Also, just curious: is the Daggerblood peninsula a reference to the Daggerwound island from Might and Magic 8?

Also, just to clarify: Gon'Chaya is currently a fully powerless, mundane, 30 gp greatsword. The only significance its backstory currently has is that Sohwa will eventually try to get it enchanted again.

My first IC post will take several more hours since i'm sleepy and it will need an introduction/description, but after that i'll pick up the flow.
    Last edited by Lord Haart; 2019-09-18 at 02:59 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Elitarismo View Post
    Complaining about martial characters dipping many different classes is like complaining that the sun is hot.
    Quote Originally Posted by ArqArturo View Post
    When I first wanted to build a gish, I wanted to be the guy that threw fireballs, lightning bolts, wore spiked fullplate and reigned death and destruction (…)

So I rolled a cleric.

DEGENERATION 92: Copy this into your sig and subtract 1 when you first see it. This is an antisocial experiment.

12. - Top - End - #12

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Haart View Post
    Hi, everyone!

Glad i've got to be in the party with the characters that have interested me the most. )

The personal backstory is finally ready. I haven't intended for it to be a doorstopper, i swear; it just got away a bit. (It's still skirt lenght; i'm just fond of long skirts.)
    Am I missing something...are you a Changeling or a Rakshasa?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

The Berzerker's opportunity attack is super easy to work around because it is 100% predictable. So no worries there.

I will add Passive Insight later today :)

Daggerblood is just a name I created because the peninsula looks like a dagger and the sand is red. I do not think I played M&M 8, but I did enjoy 6 :)

Quote Originally Posted by atlastrembles View Post
    Mechanically a Changeling, flavorfully a Rakshasa.
    Last edited by Felhammer; 2019-09-18 at 01:20 PM.
    DMing:

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

For the record, Qeph is already sitting.
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

A Doppelganger posing as a Changeling shapeshifted into a Rakshasa! With those shapeshifters you never know, huh?
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm using changeling stats to roleplay a Rakshasa (which have only ever been statted as monsters).

just because Cloth would be very weary of a Rakshasa just because of her predator-prey instinct. A Rakshasa tend to be a predator rather then prey.
    This is exactly what i think logical, too. And i've expected the predator-humanoid/prey-humanoid complications to play a role, though i thought it would be between Sohwa and Broken Antler. For some reason i've always perceived the Thri-Kreen as hunters themselves. Might be something out of their original Dark Sun role, from 3.5 "Savage species", or maybe i've got them mixed up with Rodians.

At any rate, it's a common habit to be wary of any rakshasa, whether your instincts tell you so or not.

She eyes the Rakshasa's hand expectedly.
    Sorry, i don't quite understand what you were going for with this phrase. If Qephepheal expected him to shake her hand, then, well, she didn't extend hers; she's a lady (which probably doesn't mean much among the Mahara, but she seems to be specifically lady-like); and i've imagined her to be standing at some distance from Sohwa, while he's sitting next to Cloth.

If you just wanted to take a look at his hand — well, it's six-fingered, paw-like, the palm is on the wrong side (as with all rakshasa), and it's covered by a gauntlet. Anything in specific that interests you?

If it was a way to ask for a pipe — then it just took me about twelve hours IRL to get the hint. ) And Sohwa can only make one at a time, anyway, though Qeqeqethra has no way of knowing that at the moment. Besides, hasn't she been against smoking a moment ago?

If it was about something else entirely, then i'd like to have it explained.

Also I'm assuming we don't know each other
    Now this is something worth discussing. So far, I've assumed we haven't met before this day, but had seen each other when the Wild King had us gathered; so we have some idea that we've been chosen to go together, and know each other in the face, but haven't had a moment for introductions before now.

However, i believe it's best for the DM to step in now and give some more information about what has transpired, and (while we're on it) give more specifics on our task that we've probably been given during the gathering, so we don't get disoriented by having vastly different ideas of what we do and don't know.
    Last edited by Lord Haart; 2019-09-19 at 10:01 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Complaining about martial characters dipping many different classes is like complaining that the sun is hot.
    When I first wanted to build a gish, I wanted to be the guy that threw fireballs, lightning bolts, wore spiked fullplate and reigned death and destruction (…)

So I rolled a cleric.

DEGENERATION 92: Copy this into your sig and subtract 1 when you first see it. This is an antisocial experiment.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

This is exactly what i think logical, too. And i've expected the predator-humanoid/prey-humanoid complications to play a role, though i thought it would be between Sohwa and Broken Antler. For some reason i've always perceived the Thri-Kreen as hunters themselves. Might be something out of their original Dark Sun role, from 3.5 "Savage species", or maybe i've got them mixed up with Rodians.
    Thri-Kreen are hunters, indeed. Thri-Kreen generally look at every social encounter through the lens of the hunt, always focusing in the "predator-prey" relationship. If you aren't the predator, you are the prey. Against a Rakshasa? I wouldn't think Thri-Kreens would be their predators. Specially because she is away from her pack. Hence why I thought she'd be wary of you.

Now this is something worth discussing. So far, I've assumed we haven't met before this day, but had seen each other when the Wild King had us gathered; so we have some idea that we've been chosen to go together, and know each other in the face, but haven't had a moment for introductions before now.
    When I asked if we knew each other in the Discord, the DM said "Your guy's call". I assumed Cloth wouldn't get along with Sohwa (Rakshasa, predator-prey, etc), and I've talked with Snowbluff so Cloth and Qeph know each other. Aside from that, I'm mostly neutral with everyone else.

But I think we know we are in a group and we know what our mission is - to go East and try and find Gwaza, and convince him to come back.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Qephetzial was expecting a handshake, but like I said, she was handling the menu at the time, and would think it presumptuous for her to extend her hand first. Her manners don’t necessarily match those of Mahara...

She was definitely sitting down, but otherwise yes she’ll be pacing around in a dark corner normally. This isn’t a normal occasion.

18. - Top - End - #18

Planetar

Although Broken Antler is stag-headed, I don't think it's accurate to say that he'd feel a prey dynamic in this situation. For one, he towers over most of the other characters so it would be kind of like a stag being scared of a single wolf.

Are Rakshasas so predatory that they are eating the other residents of the Wild King's society? That would be...problematic, no? :P

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Although Broken Antler is stag-headed, I don't think it's accurate to say that he'd feel a prey dynamic in this situation. For one, he towers over most of the other characters so it would be kind of like a stag being scared of a single wolf.

Are Rakshasas so predatory that they are eating the other residents of the Wild King's society? That would be...problematic, no? :P
    You mean the Shade, Qephetzial? She's small and harmless.

20. - Top - End - #20

Planetar

You mean the Shade, Qephetzial? She's small and harmless.
    I'm confused.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Also I'd be cool with a math feat.
    I'm confused.
    Some people have been mixing up which are which races.

Qephetzial is the Shade (not a pixie, not a changeling either, but is a shapeshifter of a sort)
    Cloth is a Thri-Kreen
    Surina is a dragonborn
    Broken Antler is a Minotaur wit ha stag head (that's you)
    Sohwa is a Rakshasa (also not a changeling)

22. - Top - End - #22

Planetar

Also I'd be cool with a math feat.

Some people have been mixing up which are which races.

Qephetzial is the Shade (not a pixie, not a changeling either, but is a shapeshifter of a sort)
    Cloth is a Thri-Kreen
    Surina is a dragonborn
    Broken Antler is a Minotaur wit ha stag head (that's you)
    Sohwa is a Rakshasa (also not a changeling)
    That's helpful, thanks!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

That's helpful, thanks!
    Cool. Now did you mean Sohwa? :p

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

I was typing fast before heading to a birthday party (that did not end until 2AM...).

Anyway, this is a really weird D&D game. Usually my parties are 50%+ human
    DMing:

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Felhammer View Post
    I love this concept, btw. The idea of forcing the players to play something that's not "standard" and more "monster-ish" while not being an evil campaign, so good. If not for Surina being an Invoker of Wrath, I'd have made a Goblin, Invoker of Wrath

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

I was typing fast before heading to a birthday party (that did not end until 2AM...).

I love this concept, btw. The idea of forcing the players to play something that's not "standard" and more "monster-ish" while not being an evil campaign, so good. If not for Surina being an Invoker of Wrath, I'd have made a Goblin, Invoker of Wrath
    Same, though I do tend to make off the wall characters normally. I do appreciate the efforts of putting in bits of the player's work for the story.

Are we doing the math fix feats, then? It'd give me something do while we wait. :p

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

The other campaign all voted for the fixing feats, and three of the five of you here have voted for them as well, so I think it is a safe bet that motion will pass here as well. So feel free to take your feats
    Yes, we are!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

No, of course not. There might be some renegades who do that, but hardly more than among the Goliaths or the Orcs, and they won't be tolerated any better (though they might have better means to hide themselves; still, it would be a major crime in the eyes of their fellow rakshasas).

The discussion about predator-prey feelings was more in relation to what the characters might be feeling on the instinctual feeling, and it started with Taya corresponding the rakshasa's tiger-based nature with the Thri-Kreen's own hunt-or-be-hunted worldview. I would never force someone to go with that idea, but I find it an enjoyable addition to the character's first perception of each other.

The actual talk of not eating someone presently, and all the scary actions, were all Qeqepethzal. Though it does look like we're playing similar games. ;)

The rakshasas are, however, well-known social predatows. Being shapeshifting cat fiends that pride themselves on their sins might be problematic on its own.

A question for Felhammer: i've been asking above on the specifing rulings on the math fix feats. I don't want to just go with my assumptions.

On a different note, i've been looking over Qequeeqezl's charsheet (not to metagame; half curiosity about how her hybrid build comes together, since i'm also a fan of those, half an old habit from the days i've been DMing.) It all checks out, but one thing in particular had attracted my attention — her having a divine boon as one of her starting items.
    Now, for some reason i've been under an impression that those are a special category, intended for DM's use only and not balanced for picking in place of regular items; somewhat like the artifacts. However, i've checked the sources and found no evidence of that; on the contrary, DMG2 recommends treating them just as regular magical items. So it's not about Snowbluff doing something iffy, but about me having a misplaced preconception that caused me to ignore this very sexy category. )

I won't be asking to change my choice of items on those grounds; i've picked them myself, and they serve the character's main role of the main defender (in a party of five, no less). However, i'd like to announce Corellon's and Ioun's boons as №1 and №2 items on my wishlist, respectively. =)

Also, a(n another) question for Felhammer: how are we treating daily item powers?

To atlastrembles: i think you might have too much utility powers. Themes don't grant everything listed under them automatically; you get free features on levels 1, 5 and 10, but the other powers listed (usually three of them) are merely "avaiable for taking" as powers of their respective levels (with an exception of the themes from the original Dark Sun Campaign Setting book, which only give a free power at level 1, but in return provide a choice to powerswap at nearly every level). So when you're picking a level 2 utility power, it's either an utility power from your class, from the theme or a skill power (PHB3), not both.

Also, i assume you've been building by the books? You might want to check the errata, i think shaman's spirit companion in particular had been hit by it several times (mainly to make it more viable, not less).

You might also want to re-check your defences. I'm not sure you've remembered to include your magical items in those.
    Last edited by Lord Haart; 2019-09-23 at 01:15 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

So I rolled a cleric.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Tryin' to take muh boon? >:v

To be fair, the Ioun's Boon doesn't do anything for Qephetzial I wouldn't be able to do with mundane items. I usually take it because I'm lazy.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

Tryin' to take muh boon? >:v
    Well, they aren't limited to one character per party (right?), and i can hardly think of a character that wouldn't want Ioun's. =) It would be a gold-tier item if it took weapon, armor and neck slots at the same time… Let alone slotless. )

Corellon's boon, on the other hand, will just fit Sohwa's magical leanings so well; yet it will make for better RP to find/earn/buy in the game itself, instead of starting with it. Psionic talents and rituals are good enough to represent Sohwa's current limitations.
    Spoiler
    Show

So I rolled a cleric.