The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: OOC: The Axe of the Burning Desert [4E]

To your ear, it sounds like the tongue of giants from your old homeland but... Older and different. More primitive. Also, morphologically distinct, evolved and changed. As if the ancestors of the giants of your old homeland and these lizardmen spoke the same language, then they separated and the language evolved along two distinct paths.

Mechanically anyone who speaks Giant can convey simple messages but anything complex will be lost in translation.
    DMing:
    The Hammer of the Barren Coast - IC / OOC / Doc
    The Axe of the Burning Desert - IC / OOC / Doc

2. - Top - End - #92
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by atlastrembles View Post
    Broken Antler - Cervitaur ShamanHe holds a hand up briefly for Sowha's attention and patience. Just a moment, arcanist, we may yet avoid further bloodshed between the Mahara and these indigenous. We should know by now to act better than the Vamwe who exiled us here. Need we repeat their aggression?
    To clarify, Sohwa's argument is exactly to avoid further bloodshed: by letting the remaining lizardmen (there's the raider, the wounded shaman, and an unconscious blowgunner whom everybody seems to have forgotten about) go unharmed, and establishing our party as a well-defended but non-agressive presence that does not fight beyond defending itself, does not seek to profit from the lizardmen, and stays in a known place instead of invading further.

Did i fail to get the idea across? If so, please consider this my fault, not Sohwa's.
    Last edited by Lord Haart; 2019-10-07 at 09:58 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Elitarismo View Post
    Complaining about martial characters dipping many different classes is like complaining that the sun is hot.
    Quote Originally Posted by ArqArturo View Post
    When I first wanted to build a gish, I wanted to be the guy that threw fireballs, lightning bolts, wore spiked fullplate and reigned death and destruction (…)

So I rolled a cleric.

DEGENERATION 92: Copy this into your sig and subtract 1 when you first see it. This is an antisocial experiment.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Haart View Post
    To clarify, Sohwa's argument is exactly to avoid further bloodshed: by letting the remaining lizardmen (there's the raider, the wounded shaman, and an unconscious blowgunner whom everybody seems to have forgotten about) go unharmed, and establishing our party as a well-defended but non-agressive presence that does not fight beyond defending itself, does not seek to profit from the lizardmen, and stays in a known place instead of invading further.

Did i fail to get the idea across? If so, please consider this my fault, not Sohwa's.
    Arcanist is probably Qeph, who said we should take a prisoner.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Taya asked a question on Discord, "btw are we using exp? or are we leveling up by milestone?"

We will be using XP as described in the Dungeon Masters Kit - so you will derive XP from combat encounters, non-combat encounters and quests.

I had added a section to the New Combat Sheet which will track the XP that each member of the group has earned.
    DMing:

5. - Top - End - #95
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Haart View Post

Broken Antler was addressing Sowha directly, but the topic was general. So he was asking Sowha to forestall letting them go, but urging peaceful resolution more generally in referencing the Vamwe. But yes, "arcanist" was referring to Sowha, who is a magical cat person with a big sword.
    Last edited by atlastrembles; 2019-10-07 at 11:16 AM.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

For speed and brevity, assume a character uses the Comprehend Languages ritual and that that person is translating for you.
    DMing:

7. - Top - End - #97
    Orc in the Playground

Sorry, had a very tiring couple of days. The post is up!

Regarding the reluctance to just read the scroll: i'm not trying to be that dude who delays the plot, honestly. I'm just trying to profit from it, and avoid the unhealthy "first they try to kill us, then they give us quests" dynamics. )

But if that's obstructing the game, you can assume that if the party gives him a look and insists to just do it, Sohwa will just do it.

When Sohwa'll have some quiet time, he'll thoroughly examine the onyx and the scrolls. He will try to determine things like: what kind of component (Arcane, Nature, Religion, universal like Residuum) is that onyx? Does it have hidden downsides or dangers to its use? (Is it brown or black? If black, does black onyx have a connection with necromancy in this universe, like it has in many D&D universes? If it does, is Sohwa aware of it?) Which kind of a caster wrote those scrolls, and can anything be surmised from his handwriting/magic signature/style/whatever? Are the materials used (paper/parchment, ink/dyes) same as what Mahara commonly use, or remarkably different?

To avoid slowing the game down, I'll roll the Arcana and History checks in advance. I will only look up the answers once Sohwa actually does examine the items, of course.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Arcana: (1d20+10)[28]
    History: (1d20+4)[16]

Some random mechanical reminders to people:

atlastrembles, don't forget that you can speak to the spirits, to get +Wis to a skill check. That's comparable to a skill training, and can let you try nearly any skill-related task if it's not continious, including passing for arcanist if needed. )

You can also Cast Fortune before putting much on the line, though that's harder to benefit from properly.

Snowbluff, keep in mind that your "shadow walk"-"one with the shadow combo" is not without a drawback. You have to keep moving at least 3 squares from your starting position (not just move 3 squares, either; it has to actually end 3 squares or more away) each turn, in order to keep this up. While this does not make you "dither" in and our of stealth (both effects seem to be until the end of your NEXT turn, so plenty of overlap), moving more than 2 squares in a turn makes you roll Stealth at -5. (And if you move less, the concealment from Shadow Walk is gone, so you have to rely on allies or environment.)

(Which is also why i think that Perception vs. Stealth thing a while ago had probably resulted in Sohwa being aware of Quippothlothl, btw.)

Should be safe enough for scouting, though, since natural terrain usually has enough cover and concealment to move around hidden even if you do not have any supernatural cover-making abilities. ) The rangers manage somehow.

Felhammer, i think we are supposed to avoid direct links to certain websites that might, or might not, provide access to the 4e rules to people without making sure that these people are legal owners of 4e books, like us. Let's just assume that we all have our books close enough to reference them?

And yes, Sohwa is totally an arcanist.
    Last edited by Lord Haart; 2019-10-17 at 08:55 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Elitarismo View Post
    Complaining about martial characters dipping many different classes is like complaining that the sun is hot.
    Quote Originally Posted by ArqArturo View Post
    When I first wanted to build a gish, I wanted to be the guy that threw fireballs, lightning bolts, wore spiked fullplate and reigned death and destruction (…)

So I rolled a cleric.

DEGENERATION 92: Copy this into your sig and subtract 1 when you first see it. This is an antisocial experiment.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by da stealth rules
    Opposed Check: Stealth vs. passive Perception. If multiple enemies are present, your Stealth check is opposed by each enemy’s passive Perception check. If you move more than 2 squares during the move action, you take a −5 penalty to the Stealth check. If you run, the penalty is −10.
    Quote Originally Posted by da warlock rules
    Shadow Walk
    On your turn, if you move at least 3 squares away from where you started your turn, you gain partial concealment until the end of your next turn.
    Quote Originally Posted by da Darkwalker Kin rules (same as pack outcast)
    Body of the Wolf
    At-Will (Special) .. Polymorph, Primal
    Minor Action Personal
    Effect: You change from your humanoid form to the form
    of a wolf, or vice versa. When you change from wolf form to humanoid form, you can shift 1 square.
    I'm only moving 2 squares on my turn's movement action. To Trigger Shadow Walk, I am shifting 1 square by shapeshifting.

If anyone is wondering, I am using the Shade's racial at will to lower the stealth cover requirements.
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2019-10-18 at 10:09 AM.
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

What is the plan?
    DMing:

10. - Top - End - #100

Flumph

I'm waiting on the Shaman's reaction to Sohwa.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

I'm scouting for a campsite.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

Wrong thread, my bad.
    Last edited by Felhammer; Yesterday at 07:12 PM.
    DMing:

13. - Top - End - #103

Flumph

Since Cloth's opinion was outnumbered, I'll wait to see what Broken Antler or Sohwa do regarding this hole, since they kinda took initiative on talking to the shaman as well. Cloth will also be on the lookout for Qeph since she worries she might not be able to find us.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

Speaking of, is Qeph going to do anything with what he sees or will he just leave?
    DMing:

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Felhammer View Post
    Speaking of, is Qeph going to do anything with what he sees or will he just leave?
    I am inclined to do some shenanigans. Qeph is the most outgoing on all Shades, after all.