The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Wait, are there people paying to play?

Quote Originally Posted by ChamHasNoRoom View Post
    {Scrubbed post, scrubbed quote}
    Done.

I am now finished with this very unproductive conversation.
    Last edited by Ventruenox; 2019-09-19 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Cleanup, Aisle D&D
    "The monk hits you a shattering blow in the kidneys, luckily this fixes a long standing alignment issue with your spine, gain +10 Move"

"The evil wizard fireballs you, since the weather has been nasty you are now pleasantly warm, gain immunity from fear effects and cold and necrotic damage "

"The drow cleric smashes you in the skull with an adamantine mace, this jogs your memory, regain all your used spell slots for the day"

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

It seems like there’s a lot of talking last each other here. A lot of people are talking about “private gaming” (Among friends, often at someone’s house, the friendship is primary) and others are talking about public gaming (OP, public roll 20, con games, etc).

Those are super different things. I can see paid GMs working for public games, but not really private.
    "Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking)"

3. - Top - End - #63
    Stranger in the Playground Moderator Ventruenox's Avatar

Mödley Crüe: This conversation has gone pretty far off the rails. Please stick to the topic, and play nice.
    Last edited by Ventruenox; 2019-09-19 at 05:06 PM.
    Forum Rules. If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by King of Nowhere View Post
    and then there's another guy with whom I play chess. ok, no super deep friendship here, basically a gaming buddy, but on different games. incidentally, summer chess tournaments last one week and there is only one game per day, the rest of the day we hang around. So it's still much more than "I just play with this guy".
    My customers are my students, and while I can be friendly with them (the ones who are not misbehaving during my lessons, at least) and I am certainly fond of them, they are a different thing altogether.
    I'm going to draw attention to these two quotes in particular, because they are very stark and obvious proof of what I've been on about: You do not understand how friendly business relationships can be. The idea that a GM/player relationship - paid or not - is anything like a teacher/student relationship is absurd. Yes, a teacher being friendly with students is a different thing altogether from what I'm talking about. Your insistence that what I'm talking about must be equivalent to such a relationship is the entire problem. No, my relationship with my clients is not like that, and so long as you continue to insist that it must be, we are going to continue not getting along.

You are taking everything I say and assume the very worst possible out of it.
    You keep verifying that everything I think about you is, in fact, totally accurate. The comparisons you draw between my group and your classroom, or groups comprised of total strangers, make it repeatedly clear that you are unable to grasp how my group functions, constantly insistent that it can't be the same as yours, no matter how many times you describe your group and I say "yeah, that's basically the same." You insist that there has to be some difference - there's not.

those three are those I was referring to, because I was taking for granted that we all understood that I was close buddy with many of them,
    You took for granted that everyone agreed on the point of contention? The best case interpretation of that is that you are so unable to get out of your own perspective that you completely failed to understand what the disagreement is even about.

You know nothing about me and about any of my groups, yet you come here pretending to know stuff about me that I don't.
    {Scrubbed}

You also seem unable to tell the difference between being friendly in a working environment, and being friendly because you are intentionally choosing to spend time with those people.
    Again: Other way around. My clients choose to spend time with me, and I choose to spend time with them. You compare this to a situation in which students are required by law to attend your classes. Depending on the specifics of the school system you're working in, they might not even have the choice to pick another teacher over you, let alone the choice to not bother with class at all and play Carcassonne instead.

Yes, statistics. Statistics only apply to large numbers and averages. Statistics on the general population do not apply to this forum, because the guy who posts in the gitp forum is not the average gamer.
    The conversation you are quoting was not about the forum. It was about the general population.

I do hope you are more polite towards your customers.

{Scrubbed}
    Last edited by Ventruenox; 2019-09-20 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Flaming

5. - Top - End - #65
    Orc in the Playground

Default Smells like Lysol in here.

I'd really like to hear from someone who has hired a DM, what the reasoning was, if the group consisted of friends or strangers, if they thought the cost was fair, the experience worthwhile.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Stranger in the Playground Moderator Ventruenox's Avatar

Mödley Crüe: Nope. We're done here.
    Last edited by Ventruenox; 2019-09-20 at 08:58 AM.
    Forum Rules. If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link.