Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: ACExtravaganza's and UselessBlob's The Haunting IC

Quote Originally Posted by ACExtravaganza View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Let's head to the Hall of Records, you never know what might be there.
    Spoiler: Professor Autumn
    Show
    Sorry, I should’ve clarified. You’re already in the hall of records, but if you’d like to continue searching, feel free to give me a Library Use Roll.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    sorry for my misunderstanding

(1d100)[56]

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Felix Autumn
    Show
    I'm presuming that you're looking closer into Webber. I also realized you should have had a bonus die from Lois' assistance, but I rolled a 9, so it was of no help.

Boston, 2:28 PM, October 30th, 1921

Dr. Grant walks into the Hall of Records and immediately spots Professor Autumn and Lois Russo and makes his way over to them. Both are pulling out file after file in search of something, but it seems to no avail. Lois looks up as she sees Dr. Grant approach and taps Professor Autumn on the shoulder. "Well, looks as if we're all together 'gain. Managed to find blueprints a' the house, what about you Dr., did you find anything?"

4. - Top - End - #64
    Orc in the Playground

Dr. Grant shrugs. "I found an article from the year the house was built, but it didn't have much information in it. Just that it was built by a Mr. Webber but he never lived in it. Did you find any other records?"

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Lois nods, "We gathered something similar, although did it make mention about who bought it or anythin'? Any other information? We might be able ta' turn up more back there in the library, keep searchin' 'ere, or check out the globe, whadda you all think?" She also shows you the blueprints that were discovered about the house.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Orc in the Playground

Dr. Grant thinks for a moment. "I didn't think it would matter much, since the house has undoubtedly changed hands since then, but it was bought by a lawyer named Walter Corbitt. I guess you can look for information on him too, if you want. I think I'll go back to the library to do some more research. I have a feeling I missed something there."
    Rolling for Library Use
    (1d100)[63]

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Evan Grant
    Show
    Boston, 4:58 PM, Monday, October 30th, 1921

You return to the library, bidding goodbye to Lois and Felix in order to continue to search for a little while. However, it doesn't seem like you're able to find too much. At least from the papers you're searching it seems that the house on Sheafe St. did not break the news for at least ten years (you've basically searched from 1835-1845). However a librarian alerts you that the library will be closing soon, so it's probably time to get out and maybe continue your search the next day.
    With most of your exploration done for the day you head back to the Parker House hotel and await Felix and Lois to go over what they've uncovered during dinner.
    ----

Sadly that's a failure, however feel free to continue your research the following day. Nevertheless, now we wait.

Show
    Lois turns towards you after the doctor departs. "Huh, well, guess 'e's 'eaded back, whadda ya' think we should do?"

8. - Top - End - #68
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Seems like a good idea to look into this Walter Corbitt fellow, maybe the hall of records will have something on him?

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ACExtravaganza View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Seems like a good idea to look into this Walter Corbitt fellow, maybe the hall of records will have something on him?
    Show
    You call over Miss Jenkins, asking where any personal information, wills, birth certificates, degrees, certifications, etc... would be held, and she gladly smiles and points you in the right direction. Lois nods as you both head off in that direction and she begins to help you look through the archives.
    ----

This again provides you with a Bonus Die.
    ----

Spoiler: Successful Library Use Roll
    Show
    Boston, 4:37 PM, Monday October 30th, 1921

You find certain information regarding Walter Corbitt, Esq.. Apparently, he was born in 1789, and died in 1866. However, the most interesting aspect that you find in the Hall of Records is concerned with eventually turning up his will.
    There might be more information about him, but for now Miss Jenkins returns and informs you that the Hall of Records/City Hall is closing, and it'd be best for you to head out, but you may return tomorrow if you so wish.

With most of your exploration done for the day you gather up your things and head back to the Parker House hotel and await Evan to go over what he's uncovered during dinner.

Spoiler: Failed Library Use Roll
    Show
    Boston, 4:37 PM, Monday October 30th, 1921

You don't find too much about Walter Corbitt, other than the fact that he was a lawyer, he was born in 1789, and he died in 1866.
    However, there might be more information about him, but for now Miss Jenkins returns and informs you that the Hall of Records/City Hall is closing, and it'd be best for you to head out, but you may return tomorrow if you so wish.

With most of your exploration done for the day you gather up your things and head back to the Parker House hotel and await Evan to go over what he's uncovered during dinner.

As the three of you head into the Parker House hotel and its dining area, you find a nice little table in the corner. "So, whadda ya' all think so far? Think we got somethin' 'ere?"

10. - Top - End - #70
    Orc in the Playground

"All we know so far is that it's a house built about 80 years ago. So far there's no signs of anything unusual. We'll probably have to search the place itself to find something. Dr. Grant then looks at Professor Autumn, having realized that he hadn't really talked to them before. "Did you have any better luck?"

11. - Top - End - #71
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d100)[52] (1d10)[1]

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Show
    If you need for me to provide a written transcript, I can with a successful Language (English) roll (which should be Language [Own]).

13. - Top - End - #73
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    I think I'll use that. Not sure if I get the bonus die, but why not include it? (1d100)[47] (1d10)[1]

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Show
    Last Will and Testament of Walter Corbitt, Esquire

Walter Corbitt, Esquire 1798-1866
    Last Will and Testament 1866
    State of Massachusetts
    County of Suffolk

I, Walter Corbitt, of the County of Suffolk and State of Massachusetts, being in perfect health of body and mind, do make and ordain this my last will and testament in the following manner.

ITEM the first, I give to the Chapel of Contemplation, Copp's Hill, Boston, Massachusetts, all of my possessions, including my copy of <REDACTED> and my property at 20 Sheafe Street in Copp's Hill.
    ITEM the second, I direct my executor to lease my property at 20 Sheafe Street, using the proceeds to fund the church.
    ITEM 3rd, I wish my body be interred in the basement of the property at 20 Sheafe Street, as specified by the instructions left to my Executor.
    ITEM 4th, I appoint Pastor Michael Thomas of the Chapel of Contemplation in Copp's Hill, Boston, Massachusetts, as my Executor to this my last will & testament, this is the 17th day of July AD 1865.

Signed, Walter Corbitt, Esquire

15. - Top - End - #75
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

We found the will of the man who built the house, apparently he wanted his body interned in the basement. He also left the house to something called the "Chapel of Contemplation." If we want to find out more about it, we could try looking into that some tomorrow. Here is a copy of the will if you want to look it over.

Spoiler: Will
    Show
    Last Will and Testament of Walter Corbitt, Esquire

Walter Corbitt, Esquire 1798-1866
    Last Will and Testament 1866
    State of Massachusetts
    County of Suffolk

I, Walter Corbitt, of the County of Suffolk and State of Massachusetts, being in perfect health of body and mind, do make and ordain this my last will and testament in the following manner.

ITEM the first, I give to the Chapel of Contemplation, Copp's Hill, Boston, Massachusetts, all of my possessions, including my copy of <REDACTED> and my property at 20 Sheafe Street in Copp's Hill.
    ITEM the second, I direct my executor to lease my property at 20 Sheafe Street, using the proceeds to fund the church.
    ITEM 3rd, I wish my body be interred in the basement of the property at 20 Sheafe Street, as specified by the instructions left to my Executor.
    ITEM 4th, I appoint Pastor Michael Thomas of the Chapel of Contemplation in Copp's Hill, Boston, Massachusetts, as my Executor to this my last will & testament, this is the 17th day of July AD 1865.

Signed, Walter Corbitt, Esquire

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Lois nods with Felix's statement. "I agree, prof. Maybe lookin' into any records n' whatnot. Also checkin' out the Globe since I don' think any of us visited it yesterday... I also don' know if, uh, there's anythin' else in the library or the record hall, but this seems to be a good lead!" She smiles broadly at her conclusion. Lois then finishes her dinner and looks out the window. "Well... I think I'd be best headin' out for a bit of a run, night boys!" Lois then strides off to get changed into something more athletic than what she's already wearing.
    ----

You may continue to converse concerning what your plans are tomorrow otherwise, this is a decent stopping point for the first day of investigations.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Orc in the Playground

"Corbitt, didn't build the place, he bought it from Mr. Webber. Regardless, leaving everything to a church isn't too unusual for unmarried religious sorts. What intrigues me is the word that has been inked over. After the item was handed over, someone deliberately defaced this document so that nobody would know what Mr. Corbitt left behind. Judging by the use of the word 'copy', it's a book or a manuscript of some kind. Having himself buried in the basement of his house is also strange. It seems like we may have something here after all."

Dr. Grant paused and eyed Professor Autumn. "I think we should go looking for information about this Chapel of Contemplation next, although Lois is right, we still haven't checked the newspaper. What do you want to do?"

18. - Top - End - #78
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Sorry for my mistake, but yes, I think looking into that group next is the best lead we've got. That said, some time spent checking the news paper isn't a bad idea.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Are you guys heading to sleep then?

20. - Top - End - #80
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

I believe that is the plan

21. - Top - End - #81
    Orc in the Playground

What he said.
    Last edited by UselessBlob; 2019-10-24 at 05:32 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Realized I was actually off by a day, and it should be the 1st of November, my bad!
    ----

Boston, 9:28 AM, November 1st, 1921

You both awake to a wondrous breakfast of pancakes served by the Parker House. A new day dawns and you're both eager to continue your investigations with a variety of new leads ahead of you. Lois is also ready to head out, adorning similar, but different, athletic attire. "Ya' both ready for today, wadda ya' think we should look into next? The Globe? More research at the library or city hall? The chapel?"
    ----

I hope that the both of you have been taking notes on the note documents!

23. - Top - End - #83
    Orc in the Playground

I was thinking of going back to the library. I didn't find much about the house, but maybe I can find something about the Chapel of Contemplation before we check it out. Do you want to check the Globe?"

24. - Top - End - #84
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Felix gives a wry smile, Want is a bit of a strong word, but I am definitely willing to if you would rather go back to library duty.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Discussions are all well and good, but I need actions. Is that all? Are you both headed off to your respective locations (Lois would join Dr. Grant for today)?

26. - Top - End - #86
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

I'm good with that

27. - Top - End - #87
    Orc in the Playground

As am I. And stuff.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Show
    Boston, 9:34 AM, Tuesday, November 1st, 1921

You head off to The Boston Globe, it's a little bit more of a walk when compared to the Hall of Records (by a minute), but it is nevertheless still incredibly closeby. The building sits amongst several other newspapers (Boston Advertiser as an example), but is much taller than any other building in the area. You head into the building and are immediately bombarded by the sound of typewriters. Rows upon rows of typists sit, clacking away on their keys to other transcripts. Meanwhile, pneumatic tubes send rolled up missives across the different floors of the building.
    You're quite confident that this is a tightly-run ship, efficiency is key here, and they must print several issues every day (as per the norm of most large newspapers at the time). Meanwhile, you stand in the mess of all this.

Show
    Boston, 10:02 AM, Tuesday November 1st, 1921

You return with Lois this time, ready to look further into the investigation. “Might as well get to it, eh Doc?
    ——

I’m assuming you’re continuing your prior investigations into the story of the house. If you’d like to focus on something else let me know, but either way please give me a Library Use roll with a Bonus Die due to Lois’ help.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Orc in the Playground

I actually want to see if I can find anything on the Chapel.
    Library Use
    (1d100)[87]
    Bonus Die
    (1d10)[4]

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Show
    Boston, 2:19 PM, Tuesday, November 1st, 1921

After searching for several hours, you don't turn up anything concerning the Chapel of Contemplation other than a brief snippet of an article mentioning "The Chapel of Contemplation at 20 Hull St. has closed." in 1912, but no reasons are listed.
    Spoiler: Successful Idea (Intelligence) Roll
    Show
    You wonder; if it was closed, perhaps there would be some sort of form which was filled out in the Hall of Records, as you recall one of the rows in the Hall was concerned with "Religious Buildings."

Nevertheless, you continue your search for a short period of time here before doing anything else.
    Spoiler: Successful Spot Hidden Roll
    Show
    An article grabs your attention, it doesn't have anything to do with the Chapel, but the word "Corbitt" catches your eye.

Lois looks at you strangely, having brought you a couple of hot dogs for a quick lunch while you discuss the findings. "Huh, weird, wadda ya' make of it, doc?"