New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Robotech: Titan Comics' release

So in a rare moment, Harmony Gold published Robotech since 2017 and recently ended its main run this month with a new "Remix" story coming out on October 9th.
    I am wondering about starting a discussion.
    Spoiler: Recap Spoiler
    Show
    - Rick Hunter has future vision
    - Driber is alive in alternate dimension
    - Fokker was cloned.
    - Max and Maia's relation never happened.
    - Dana Sterling Time Travel.
    - Minmay using psionic power with the power of friendship and songs.

On the news of the franchise: Futhermore, Macross license has been extended but not much has been heard other than extension beyond 2021. While Amazon Prime was able to release the original (Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada), not sure if we'll get other Macross stories.
    Last edited by t209; 2019-09-17 at 01:41 AM.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: Robotech: Titan Comics' release

Looking at that spoiler I have the urge to be sick. (Not the OP's fault of course.) That's not Robotech, Macross or anything else I am familiar with.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Some of those bullet points...

Spoiler
    Show
    I dislike stories that shoe horn in psionics, time travel and eldritch abominations without any of them having been a part of it originally.

I did feel Roy's death was stupidly set up, but cloning him?
    Don't know your name but bring the pain.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Lurkmoar View Post
    Some of those bullet points...

Spoiler
    Show
    I dislike stories that shoe horn in psionics, time travel and eldritch abominations without any of them having been a part of it originally.

I did feel Roy's death was stupidly set up, but cloning him?
    Spoiler
    Show
    By Macross standards it all sounds pretty tame. Okay I don't think they've done time travel, but galaxy eating eldritch abominations, they have those. They defeated them with the power of rock and roll. But not just the power of rock and roll, but by teaching them to rock for themselves because music is the source of life energy (spiritia).

Robotech is an abomination against anime licensing and I refuse to do it the justification of believing it exists, but Macross itself can be a total goonfest when it wants to be.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    By Macross standards it all sounds pretty tame. Okay I don't think they've done time travel, but galaxy eating eldritch abominations, they have those. They defeated them with the power of rock and roll. But not just the power of rock and roll, but by teaching them to rock for themselves because music is the source of life energy (spiritia).

Robotech is an abomination against anime licensing and I refuse to do it the justification of believing it exists, but Macross itself can be a total goonfest when it wants to be.
    Spoiler: Response
    Show

Well, the Eldritch Abomination in Robotech happened to be Invids, who were mostly invading refugees and did turn out to be pragmatic enough to set a truce with REF, even in Shadow Chronicles when it turned out that nukes are made by their enemies who wants to get rid of both of them. And then they became the bad guys in this comicfor some reason.
    I agree with you on that, especially in current time when “Maceck’s edits” (even Starblazers and Voltron despite not made by Maceck but shared its purpose) are generally frowned upon. Back in the day, people didn’t make a fuss due to lack of original release...save for odd plot holes like why the New Generation REF only sent mere fraction of their forces (because Mospeada only had Inbit invasion and they were not that evil with humans being left alone), why Scott can’t swim even though he saved Lunk from river (because Dubbers mistake on his fear of sea) or why New York still exists after being bombed in first season (because Macross was its own series), or why Dana has blonde hair (because Southern Cross’s version is her own character).
    Then there is HG’s lack of new (and or cancelled) works yet hesitant to have Macross western release.
    Last edited by t209; 2019-09-17 at 05:56 PM.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Apple Jack's parents

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm still trying to blot out the memory of fighter pilots playing guitar solos in combat. I'm all for ham and cheese, but Macross 7 just didn't do it for me.
    Don't know your name but bring the pain.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lurkmoar View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm still trying to blot out the memory of fighter pilots playing guitar solos in combat. I'm all for ham and cheese, but Macross 7 just didn't do it for me.
    Spoiler
    Show
    *turns off infinite loop of Ikenai Borderline* Yes it's very silly. But still less silly than the crap that's shown up in the name of Robotech. Of course, it's not like it got less silly. Giant space bugs that sing to each other though the local hyperpsace-analgoue? The mysterious precursors leaving behind tons of music-reactive ruins that can be used to mind control entire planets? Yeah it got very silly.

And I'd still take it all over anything Robotech.
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

Factotum Variants!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Nothing wrong with the original Robotech or the unfinished Sentinals series. But most people who have gotten their hands on the series after that have done work on the level of bad fanfiction. Some of it REALLY bad fanfiction.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Nothing wrong with the original Robotech or the unfinished Sentinals series. But most people who have gotten their hands on the series after that have done work on the level of bad fanfiction. Some of it REALLY bad fanfiction.
    I suppose the original Macross Saga of Robotech wasn't that bad, I mean, I grew up with that stuff. But past that it got weirder and weirder, since they were welding unrelated series together.

Factotum Variants!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Actually if you look at the original anime series storylines they really didn't make many changes for RT. Most of the original plot is there. Yeah, there are things that don't make sense (such as NYC not being a huge crater in the 3 part) but most of them were the result of welding 3 different series together, not crazy/stupid ideas they invented.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Actually if you look at the original anime series storylines they really didn't make many changes for RT. Most of the original plot is there. Yeah, there are things that don't make sense (such as NYC not being a huge crater in the 3 part) but most of them were the result of welding 3 different series together, not crazy/stupid ideas they invented.
    To be fair, their first idea was to weld entire Super Dimension series, which was supposed to be an anthology based on "love, war, and transforming robots" before Macross becoming its own franchises (in further justification, the creators said that Macross original to Frontier were actually in-universe cartoon shows to justify weirdness and inconsistency).
    Then Macek didn't get Orguss and had to resort to Mospeada.
    Basically had the Orguss was used, it would have looked like Tiberian Protoculture Wars.
    Last edited by t209; 2019-09-19 at 04:07 PM.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Apple Jack's parents

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Ah dammit, I was pleased when I heard the copyright troll's licence was expiring; no offense to Robotech, but HG are shady as excrement and if they did lose it, it would have benefited not only Macross (which I'm told is much better but not allowed to be basically released in the English-speaking world), but BattleTech as well to not have any more tiresome lawsuits again.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2019-09-19 at 05:37 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Ah dammit, I was pleased when I heard the copyright troll's licence was expiring; no offense to Robotech, but HG are shady as excrement and if they did lose it, it would have benefited not only Macross (which I'm told is much better but not allowed to be basically released in the English-speaking world), but BattleTech as well to not have any more tiresome lawsuits again.
    Yeah, even worse that HG haven't made a new entry or merchandise other than the comics.
    The only solace is that it was only an extension but no word on what other details are included. Even wondering why Big West would do it since they can just take advantage for their own.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Apple Jack's parents

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Yeah I don't know how this extension affects the Battletech thing, that might be separate as this involves the rights tot he show but not the designs, maybe?

Unfortunately, HG is only half the battle in terms of getting Macross legally subtitled for Western Release, from what I've heard in the past, though I don't have any sources on hand, the costs to license the music in the newer series outside Japan would be rather exorbitant. Which may also be why Macross didn't show up in any of the newer Super Robot Wars games that got localized to English for release in the SEA region. That or Banpresto knows people were getting sick of Frontier.

Which is a shame because Fire Bomber, Sheryl and Ranka, and Walkure all do some pretty amazing music.

Factotum Variants!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Noventa View Post
    Yeah I don't know how this extension affects the Battletech thing, that might be separate as this involves the rights tot he show but not the designs, maybe?
    Nothing for the moment, since the last round between HG and PGL and HBS seems to have resolved in their favour (we are not party to exactly what happened and the latter aren't saying anything other than "it is sorted," it not so many words), but with HG, you never know when they might try it again down the line, or a different approach or what.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

First off, FASA didn’t have any rights to use the Macross mechs for Battletech. They were a bunch of thieves who deserved to get sued a very long time before they actually were. (Note: I am an old Battletech fan, but the truth is the truth) As for no new Macross series coming over, fault also lies with Big West. HG has the rights to the name “Macross” in the US and has stated they would be open to talks. But Big West HATES HG (and their partners Tatsunoko) and refuses to talk with them. So Big West deserves some blame as well. That’s a dirty little secret the HG haters don’t want people to know.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

First off, FASA didn’t have any rights to use the Macross mechs for Battletech.
    Well, they did ask permission for the mechs technically. Just that it happened to be a company that didn't have legal grounds for the model's rights.
    https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Unseen (source)
    Last edited by t209; 2019-09-21 at 09:47 PM.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Apple Jack's parents

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    Well, they did ask permission for the mechs technically. Just that it happened to be a company that didn't have legal grounds for the model's rights.
    https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Unseen (source)
    Actually they bought the import rights to ship Macross models from Japan to the US from a company called Twentieth Century Imports. And then they decided they could use the artwork and continued to do so long after HG called them out on it. You don't have to be a lawyer to realize that you don't get rights to artwork from a import license.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

You know, the real blame lies with the broadcast rules in the US at the time. The only reason HG had to cram three disparate series together was that Macross didn't have enough episodes to be run due to some arcane TV syndication rules. if it weren't for that, they wouldn't have had to rewrite it all and we could have gotten the original Macross plot over here.

Factotum Variants!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Noventa View Post
    You know, the real blame lies with the broadcast rules in the US at the time. The only reason HG had to cram three disparate series together was that Macross didn't have enough episodes to be run due to some arcane TV syndication rules. if it weren't for that, they wouldn't have had to rewrite it all and we could have gotten the original Macross plot over here.
    Interestingly, someone found a original footage on Mospeada English dub, at least the test dub based on the original.

It may be clunky but it was just a test footage.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Apple Jack's parents

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

https://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/anim...-at-funimation
    So Funimation has the distrubiton rights.
    Still now word about Macross franchise though.
    Edit: Also Robotech Remix is out, the idea of multiverse is still at play.
    Last edited by t209; 2019-10-22 at 11:50 PM.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3