The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Help me Balance a Special reward Spell

Hey guys
    First of, Kurisu, if you are reading this, get the hell out.

So one of my Players gets to enjoy a special shiny new spell. Because of the conditions on how he aquired the spell he wants it to be Ice/Snow based. He is a Level 2 Spellsinger and I originally intended to give him a regular spell but low and behold their are no really good Ice Spells that fit what he wanted to do which is to impair Movement.
    So i thought i would reskin the Sleep spell and need your help in Balancing it. If this has to be in a special sub forum i apologise.

So to the spell:
    Name: Ice Sarcophagus
    Range: 30 feet
    Components: V S M (A small drop of fresh water)
    Durartion: 1 minute( Requires Concentration)

Choose a creature you can see. Roll 5d8. If the target hit points are lower than the total rolled it is entombed into a magical ice coffin. The target creature does not take any damage as long as the ice covering it is intact. Any creature including the creature currently entombed can use their action to try to break the ice with a successful Athletic check contested by your spell save dc.

At higher level: When you cast this spell using a slot of 2nd level or higher, roll an additional 2d8 for each slot above 1st.

I think it should be pretty balanced, given the need to hold concentration and the short 30 feet range.
    Maybe the scaling should be only 1d8 per level above 1st. Do you Think this is a spell i could give as a reward or should i change something. What would you change given the choice?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Help me Balance a Special reward Spell

As is right now, you havenít explained what the negatives for the target are. Restrained? Grappled? What exactly happens to them. As the spell currently works, it seems like itís actually a benefit to the creatures, since they canít be hurt.

Also, Sleep is seen as a pretty weak spell as you level up, since hit points of creatures tend to vastly outpace what the spell can do. So keep that in mind.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Oh right. Well the intend is to take them out of the fight. So the only action they are allowed to take is the break free attempt and their movement is reduced to zero.

I am aware that the sleep spell is kinda useless later on. I did not want a super op spell more like cool now anf still useful later. For example taking a hostage, taking an important enemy out of the fight without beeing broken.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Another weird part is that while the spell require the ice to be intact, there's no option to break it from the outside.

I would look at warlock invocation Tomb of Levistus from XGtE for inspiration.
    It's Eberron, not ebberon.
    It's not high magic, it's wide magic.
    And it's definitely not steampunk. The only time steam gets involved is when the fire and water elementals get loose.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by SchokoNougat View Post
    So one of my Players gets to enjoy a special shiny new spell. Because of the conditions on how he aquired the spell he wants it to be Ice/Snow based. He is a Level 2 Spellsinger and I originally intended to give him a regular spell but low and behold their are no really good Ice Spells that fit what he wanted to do which is to impair Movement.

Name: Ice Sarcophagus
    I like the idea of the spell, and having it be an ice power seems fun and minty-fresh.

But if you want it to remain at all relevant in later levels, then instead of reskinning Sleep and making it based upon the target's HP, you might do better to reskin Tasha's Hideous Laughter (possibly making it a Con save, in keeping with it being a cold-based spell).

I have no idea what a Spellsinger is, but if they don't have access to THL, then they might appreciate this spell. If they already get THL on their spell list, then you could maybe base it instead upon a single-person Slow spell (again, probably Con-save based)?
    Last edited by Guy Lombard-O; 2019-09-18 at 12:32 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SchokoNougat View Post
    Oh right. Well the intend is to take them out of the fight.
    Incapacitated seems like a good condition for that, and it fits the image of being encased in ice (much like tomb of levistus works). So, I am thinking Tasha's hideous laughter (cold damage), reskinned as you described.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
    I hereby bestow upon you a magic sword, the Sword of Corran, which will henceforth be the only thing that can permanently destroy my withered undead hand and nose.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Instead of basing it on Sleep, as an incapacitation spell, I'd base it on Color Spray, which is an AoE Blind, and making it a ranged mass-grapple.

Frost Nova
    Range: 30 ft
    Duration: 1 minute

A blast of cold air erupts from your hands. Roll 6d10, and the total is how many hit points of creatures this spell can effect.
    Starting with the target creature, each creature affected by this spell is grappled by ice until the spell ends.
    Creatures in a 15 foot sphere originating from the target are also effected in ascending order of current hit points (ignoring unconscious creatures). Subtract each creature's hit points from the total before moving on to the creature with the next lowest hit points.

Creatures grappled by ice have a movement of zero, and they can use their action to attempt to break the grapple with a Strength (athletics) or Dexterity (acrobatics) check against your Spell Save DC.

At higher levels: When you cast this spell using a slot of 2nd level or higher, roll an additional 2d10 for each slot above 1st. If you cast this spell using a spell slot of 5th level or higher, the effected targets are restrained instead of grappled.

So, as long as you roll high enough, you'll be able to fairly reliably freeze your target in place, but at higher levels, you'll be able freeze-bomb them as well as their friends. With a 5th level spell slot, you can actually restrain 14d10 Hit points worth of creatures.
    Always looking for critique of my 5E homebrew!
    Including new Base Classes, a better Ranger, and Subclasses based on:
    • Books
    • TV Shows
    • Marvel Cinematic Universe
    • League of Legends IP
    • Latest series: Planeswalker-themed Subclasses based on Magic: The Gathering's War of the Sparks
    And MORE!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjarkmundur View Post
    ... does this stuff just come naturally to you? Do you even have to try anymore xD
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Vogie is the sh**. I don't really have anything to contribute to the topic, just wanted to point that out.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Change initial dice roll to 3d12 and the upcast value with +2d12, slap a condition on the spell and you're good to go! :D

Spoiler: How to Make Custom Monsters
    Show

The damage column shows total damage output on hit over an entire round, and is modified based on factors like recharge, AoE etc.