New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default What if Mothra was transported into Faerun?

We've recently had two D&D crossover questions and I thought I'd just take the step to turn it into a trend.

I only really know Mothra from the recent Godzilla: King of Monsters film, although I know she dates back to the 1960's. According to the MonsterVerse wiki she is 52 feet high with an 803 foot wingspan. As seen in the movie she travels great distances very fast and is nimble in the air, has sharp limbs and a stinger, can spit webbing, and is as monstrously strong as can be expected from a kaiju. She's not as durable as Godzilla himself, but if destroyed is reborn through her eggs, and "fragile" by kaiju standards isn't much of a condemnation. It's a bit hard to judge her intelligence, but I'd say it's at least on par with, say, a chimp and probably similar to human.

So what would happen if one of those weekly dimensional whoopsies landed her in Faerun?

I think a certain amount of... concern... would only be natural at the sudden appearance of a giant monster, but as seen in the film if she is attacked by tiny little humans she just traps them in webbing. If she hung around civilised areas I feel eventually a spellcaster would attempt communication. Mothra is shown to be kind and benevolent, and I could see her providing aid against some giant monster or ravaging army, or settling down as the protector of a particular area. And it could be quite a large area, given her flight speed.

I'm not hugely familiar with the setting's expanded lore, but is there some Good-aligned deity whom people might associate her with?

And how do you think she'd fare, combat-wise? Isn't an ancient dragon about 40 feet long, from snout to rump? She's bigger than that, and the D&D system just doesn't scale to the kind of damage MonsterVerse kaiju can dish out. I really can't picture a Faerun dragon smashing down a skyscraper, and certainly not casually. And her webbing was shown to be able to restrain King Ghidorah at least for a few seconds.

Now, magic is a bit of a game changer and there is no reason to assume she is particularly resistant to mind-affecting spells and the like. But in terms of sheer physical might I'd say she'd continue to be the Queen of the Monsters.

What do you think?
    "Is this 'cause I killed the hippie? Is that even illegal?"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: What if Mothra was transported into Faerun?

Can we just have one thread with all the crazy crossover questions? Like there's one thread for all the VS questions?
    Last edited by Cikomyr; 2019-09-17 at 11:04 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jeivar View Post
    And how do you think she'd fare, combat-wise? Isn't an ancient dragon about 40 feet long, from snout to rump? She's bigger than that, and the D&D system just doesn't scale to the kind of damage MonsterVerse kaiju can dish out. I really can't picture a Faerun dragon smashing down a skyscraper, and certainly not casually. And her webbing was shown to be able to restrain King Ghidorah at least for a few seconds.
    Depends on edition. A 2nd Edition AD&D red dragon could be 350 feet long tip-to-tail with a 180' wingspan. A Radiant Dragon could be 1400 feet long (although you'd almost never encounter one on the surface or Faerun - or any other planet larger than Class A).

I always thought the Tarrasque was supposed to be the D&D version of Godzilla. I was mistaken, but I still think it probably qualifies as a Kaiju. So anything that can take down a tarrasque would have a shot at any other kaiju. Just as a sure sign of my total ignorance in this matter.

Still, a Hammership or Squidship could inflict significant damage with their rams. A Great Bombard would also be a credible threat.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

4. - Top - End - #4
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

There are also, in 2e (I think imported from OA) the Gargantua, which might cover Mothra and the like.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Jeivar View Post
    Now, magic is a bit of a game changer and there is no reason to assume she is particularly resistant to mind-affecting spells and the like. But in terms of sheer physical might I'd say she'd continue to be the Queen of the Monsters.

What do you think?
    Mothra is one of, if not the, most powerful psychic entity in the Tohoverse.

Mind affecting spells are going to bounce off like the tiniest of pebbles.

She's about as easy to permanently kill as the Tarrasque because she's persistently reborn through her larvae (produced through parthenogenesis), would have very high level psionics, probably some cleric caster levels (she can transfer energy to others to strengthen them and has a number of indirect effects like the Sun Strike Buster, which is call lightning but Kaiju scale), a wide array of gaze-like attacks (she shoots energy beams a lot), at-will lightning attacks from her wings and a gust attack capable of throwing other Kaiju around and an extremely potent sleep effect (65m radius, even puts plants to sleep).

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'd certainly like to see mothra throw down with some chromatic dragons.
    Beautiful Avatar thanks to Gengy

Hangs out on the World building forums

Giantitp projects: Caligoven the toxic seas, Baalbek Empire!3, Coatl Empire!4, Short and sweet world building
    Personal stuff: World of Tieg, Nexus: City of the Multiverse, Forgotten Planet Lost Between 2 stars, World of the 9 gates
    Spoiler: The gift that keeps on giving
    Show
    Spoiler: and giving
    Show
    Spoiler: and giving some more
    Show
    Spoiler: Metric tons of giving
    Show
    Spoiler: Keep going
    Show
    Spoiler: Suprise
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Spellljammer has Witchlight Marauders, which are space kaiju used to crush planetary resistance. 500+ feet long they barrage enemies with swarms of their grubby children.

Forgotten Realms was part of Spelljammer at one point, so chances are they have dealt with Mothra style threats before.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

There's also Battra (Mothra's sister or brother) and Mothra Leo (Mothra's son).

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

How many times has Mothra died?