New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992)

Hey everybody. I'm going to talk about the 1992 horror film better known as Bram Stoker's Dracula and I'll tell you my thoughts about it.

Spoiler: My Thoughts On Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992)
    Show
    This timeless classic horror film is about a 15 century prince condemned to feed on blood for eternity. So many years later. Dracula invited a lawyer and so much horrific stuff happen. Then Dracula recognized the lawyer lover resemble of his lover long ago. This movie was very scary. If I recalled I believe that the movie is based on a book. It's has the suspense horror that definite not the faint of heart. This movie is Oscar worthy in my opinion. I'll give this movie 5 out of 5 stars.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992)

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    If I recalled I believe that the movie is based on a book.
    Yes, that would be the novel Dracula by a certain Bram Stoker. Not that the title would tell you anything about that.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saintheart View Post
    Yes, that would be the novel Dracula by a certain Bram Stoker. Not that the title would tell you anything about that.
    You know, the book with the giant host.

(A holy wafer kind of host, not like a butler or something. Seriously, van Helsing (yes, that's why about half of all fictional vampire hunters have that name, it's from Dracula) had one of those things and I think he crumbled it out over dozens of chests of dirt and several circles. But apart from that minor gripe the book is rightfully a classic.)

(Also, yes, this movie sticks quite a bit closer to the book than most incarnations of the Dracula mythos. It's not the perfect movie, but it has a good grip on its tone, aside from maybe the slightly silly Dracula makeup. And the in-camera effects are very cool and set the mood just right.)
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2019-09-18 at 03:59 PM.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well, it won three oscars, so lots of people agree with that sentiment (makeup, costumes and sound mixing)

I loved it when it came out, but wasn't quite as into it the last time I tried watching it. I'm a big Tom Waits fan though, so any movie with him in it is a plus for me. And anything with Winona Ryder in it has my vote!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

If you're interested in good vs accurate takes on Dracula movie adaptations, here's a great video. https://youtu.be/q9D74m628gQ
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

I so wish Francis Ford Coppola had gone on to direct the Frankenstein adaptation that came out a few years later instead of Kenneth Branagh. Then the advertising tagline could've been "Mary Shelley's Frankenstein ... from the director of Bram Stoker's Dracula!"

7. - Top - End - #7

RangerGuy

I think it would definitely be the best adaptation of the novel of all time... if it hadn't made up that whole stupid reincarnation romance thing that isn't in the book. At all. And Coppola tried to make Dracula romantic and sympathetic, while still retaining that scene where he literally feeds a baby to his brides. And laughs while doing it.

The Dracula of the novel isn't sympathetic, he isn't tragic, and he isn't seductive. He is an ugly, smelly, brutish monster.
    "Is this 'cause I killed the hippie? Is that even illegal?"

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jeivar View Post
    The Dracula of the novel isn't sympathetic, he isn't tragic, and he isn't seductive. He is an ugly, smelly, brutish monster.
    To expand on this, Dracula was originally adapted to be a play, and Dracula, as envisaged by Bram Stoker, was a hideous defromed monster. The image of Dracula as human-appearing (anything from slightly ugly to very handsome) came later and proved much more popular than Bram Stoker's concept - and this is where the films got their model of Dracula from.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

I also like this nice movie and actors!!!
    Last edited by gashford1; 2019-09-27 at 01:16 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post
    To expand on this, Dracula was originally adapted to be a play, and Dracula, as envisaged by Bram Stoker, was a hideous defromed monster. The image of Dracula as human-appearing (anything from slightly ugly to very handsome) came later and proved much more popular than Bram Stoker's concept - and this is where the films got their model of Dracula from.
    He was able to go around in sunlight in London in the book without drawing attention (and he looked much younger than he did at the start of the book - the movie was drawing on the book in that respect).

"Slightly ugly" is consistent with the book.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

11. - Top - End - #11

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post
    Uhhh, I don't know where you're getting this from. I've read the original novel, and while Dracula is a far cry from handsome he isn't deformed. He just looks like a pale human with slightly oversized canines and a fat lip.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Vampires are mostly attractive and sexy. (Especially the female vampires.)
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2019-09-29 at 04:47 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Halfling in the Playground

The opening was solid badass and I like Vampires that are more predatory then tortured angst

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

This movie is ALSO the source of the hilarious Mel Brooks parody - Dracula, Dead And Loving It (top 3 Mel Brooks movies ever).

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

There are some awesome moments in the film, but definitely NOT from Keanu or Winona. Much as I love these two, they are dreadfully miscast for this feature - they fail dreadfully at playing Victorean era English upper-middle-class. They really spoil my enjoyment to the extent that I don't own a copy. I can't get over how awful they both are. They're both decent enough at the many other parts they've played, just not in this film.

I can't help but imagine what an outstanding work it would have been if instead they'd cast Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham-Carter. They're exactly contemporary to the movie, the right ages at that time, and the right look, each of them. Depp hadn't got at that time into the habit of being a silly ham, and Bonham-Carter absolutely started her career playing what we inthe UK call "costume drama" parts.
    It would have elevated BSD from being a cheesey and rather strange film to being a definitive and lasting reimagining of the Dracula tale.
    Last edited by Altair_the_Vexed; 2019-10-09 at 02:44 PM. Reason: spelling

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Altair_the_Vexed View Post
    There are some awesome moments in the film, but definitely NOT from Keanu or Winona. Much as I love these two, they are dreadfully miscast for this feature - they fail dreadfully at playing Victorean era English upper-middle-class. They really spoil my enjoyment to the extent that I don't own a copy. I can't get over how awful they both are. They're both decent enough at the many other parts they've played, just not in this film.

I can't help but imagine what an outstanding work it would have been if instead they'd cast Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham-Carter. They're exactly contemporary to the movie, the right ages at that time, and the right look, each of them. Depp hadn't got at that time into the habit of being a silly ham, and Bonham-Carter absolutely started her career playing what we inthe UK call "costume drama" parts.
    It would have elevated BSD from being a cheesey and rather strange film to being a definitive and lasting reimagining of the Dracula tale.
    Thank you. My memory often wants to place Tom Cruise in this movie due to how poorly cast Keanu is. Keanu is reduced to a Tom Cruise-level performance, and while the rest of the flick is pretty good, this brings it down. I've never been able to put a fine point to it until now.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I think the book has never yet been matched by any of the movies. There are scenes in the book that I remember more vividly than any movie. Dracula crawling head first down the castle wall... The haunted voyage (that's a masterpiece of horror writing, that passage)... The ship's arrival... The desperate final pursuit...

If a movie could do justice to those scenes, I would be impressed. But somehow they all lose their way before then, generally with silly attempts to make Dracula romantic. Just... No. He's a predator, not a seducer. Once you lose sight of that, once you allow ambiguity about Mina's feelings (spoiler, she is revolted), the best scenes from the book just don't work any more, and they end up not making the cut.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

18. - Top - End - #18

Planetar

I think Bram Stoker's Dracula is my favorite film version of Dracula. It's the most book accurate Dracula-film*, it has a good atmosphere and great visuals.

Sure, I also like the 30's Bela Lugosi Dracula film but if I'm being really honest, the main draw of that film is Bela Lugosi and many other aspects of the film could have used some more work, even though it was one of the first sound films. 30's Dracula also cut and altered a lot of the stuff from the book, and in some scenes, that really leaves the story lacking. While I think Bela Lugosi as Dracula can't be beaten, Gary Oldman's version of Dracula is also very good. While 30's Dracula has the superior Dracula, Bram Stoker's Dracula is in my opinion better as a whole.

Bram Stoker's Dracula also has some weak points but unlike most people, I don't really mind them. Chief among them: Keanu Reeves is bland as ever, I guess Mina Harker could have been better cast and Dracula does look a bit silly when we first meet him. However, the film has loads of other more interesting characters than Jonathan and Mina and Dracula changes his form a lot in this movie, so none of these really bother me. One could argue that Bram Stoker's Dracula adds a lot of stuff in the story but I think that's better than cutting and altering stuff.

In a nutshell, Bram Stoker's Dracula is very entertaining while still being quite accurate to the original story and keeping all that great horror atmosphere.

*Dracula (1977) is also very accurate and while I applaud that effort, overall, I'm not a huge fan of that movie. Dracula in that film is very forgettable and it's a rather dry movie.
    Last edited by Raimun; 2019-10-15 at 04:18 AM.
    Signatures are so 90's.

19. - Top - End - #19

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    If a movie could do justice to those scenes, I would be impressed. But somehow they all lose their way before then, generally with silly attempts to make Dracula romantic. Just... No. He's a predator, not a seducer.
    Yes, yes and yes, thank you so much for getting it.

Once you lose sight of that, once you allow ambiguity about Mina's feelings (spoiler, she is revolted), the best scenes from the book just don't work any more, and they end up not making the cut.
    Again, yes. She is not attracted to the man who inflicted a slow, painful death on her best friend before bringing her back as a child-eating monster before metaphorically raping Mina herself, with blood replacing that other fluid.