The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    PunkManiak's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Gender
    Male

    Default Using Performance on a Fighter in Combat

    Im building a Goblin Fighter of the Skirmisher Archetype, with decently high performance, and the trait, Rude Songs (Goblin). Im wondering if it would be possible to utilize his performance skill in combat, to enrage, infuriate, and degrade his enemies causing debuffs, rather than intimidating them. The idea is that hes a singer (actually a rapper, whos lyrics and limericks are spectacularly degrading), so it wont interfere with his weaponry.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Saint Paul, MN
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Using Performance on a Fighter in Combat

    The only thing that I can think of that doesn't also require Bardic Music is the Combat Panache feat, which requires 8 ranks of Bluff skill, 8 ranks of Intimidate skill, and 8 ranks of Perform skill.

    It's on pages 93 and 94 of the Player's Handbook II.
    Last edited by Duke of Urrel; 2019-09-18 at 03:52 PM.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Perth, West Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Using Performance on a Fighter in Combat

    The "Adding Injury to Insults" article in Dragon #294. Unfortunately most of the insults amount to reputational damage which is something else, but there is one feat: Scathing Wit - two prerequisites and a Perform (wit) skill, but if you damage the target's reputation, the target makes a Fort 10 + Perform (wit) skill modifier. Failure indicates the target breaks out in hives r boils and suffers subdual damage equal to the reputation damage you inflict.

    Another is to ask your DM to adapt the Goad feat out of the Miniatures Handbook so it keys off your Perform check rather than your CHA modifier - force the enemy to attack nobody but you.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Midwest, not Middle East
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Using Performance on a Fighter in Combat

    Quote Originally Posted by Saintheart View Post

    Another is to ask your DM to adapt the Goad feat out of the Miniatures Handbook so it keys off your Perform check rather than your CHA modifier - force the enemy to attack nobody but you.
    This would require some balancing, skills scale a lot faster than abilities. So maybe you should make it perform based but resisted by perform. Which means you are having rap battles in the middle of combat.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Asmotherion's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Using Performance on a Fighter in Combat

    There's an item called Slippers of Battledancing that allow you to use CHA for attack and damage rolls with light or one handed weapons instead of your regular stat and give you a +2 to initiative as long as you gave 5 ranks in perform (dance).

    Please help/contribute in creating the: Complete list of Magically Created Constructs, Elementals etc

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Spamalot in the Playground
     
    Psyren's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Using Performance on a Fighter in Combat

    If you pick up VMC Bard, you'll get the Versatile Performance class feature at 11th. I don't know which Perform you have a high modifier in, but there are some that can be used in placed of more combat-oriented skills like Intimidate, Acrobatics, Bluff, or Fly.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Quote Originally Posted by gogogome View Post
    Cheers to Psyren the MVP "naysayer".
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Using Performance on a Fighter in Combat

    Quote Originally Posted by Saintheart View Post
    The "Adding Injury to Insults" article in Dragon #294. Unfortunately most of the insults amount to reputational damage which is something else, but there is one feat: Scathing Wit - two prerequisites and a Perform (wit) skill, but if you damage the target's reputation, the target makes a Fort 10 + Perform (wit) skill modifier. Failure indicates the target breaks out in hives r boils and suffers subdual damage equal to the reputation damage you inflict.
    That is insane and hilarious at the same time. Unreasonably goofy, but it's kind of capturing my imagination.

    Is there a limit on how often you can use it on the same target, or can you insult someone repeatedly until their hives make them pass out? (As insane as that is?)
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    Come join the Iron Chef Optimization Challenge in the Playground E6 Appetizer Edition! We're currently judging for Round 20, so come join in and be taken as an authority figure whose opinions matter!

    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2011

    Default Re: Using Performance on a Fighter in Combat

    Quote Originally Posted by Saintheart View Post
    The "Adding Injury to Insults" article in Dragon #294. Unfortunately most of the insults amount to reputational damage which is something else, but there is one feat: Scathing Wit - two prerequisites and a Perform (wit) skill, but if you damage the target's reputation, the target makes a Fort 10 + Perform (wit) skill modifier. Failure indicates the target breaks out in hives r boils and suffers subdual damage equal to the reputation damage you inflict.

    Another is to ask your DM to adapt the Goad feat out of the Miniatures Handbook so it keys off your Perform check rather than your CHA modifier - force the enemy to attack nobody but you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    That is insane and hilarious at the same time. Unreasonably goofy, but it's kind of capturing my imagination.

    Is there a limit on how often you can use it on the same target, or can you insult someone repeatedly until their hives make them pass out? (As insane as that is?)
    More importantly, can you force an undead (skellies, especially) to break out in hives, even if they are immune to the subdual damage?
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    GitP: The only place where D&D and Cantorian Set Theory combine. Also a place of madness, and small fairy cakes.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Using Performance on a Fighter in Combat

    Quote Originally Posted by NNescio View Post
    More importantly, can you force an undead (skellies, especially) to break out in hives, even if they are immune to the subdual damage?
    Undead are immune to Fort saves that don't affect objects.

    So... can you damage an object's reputation and make it break out in hives? If not, can we find a way?
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    Come join the Iron Chef Optimization Challenge in the Playground E6 Appetizer Edition! We're currently judging for Round 20, so come join in and be taken as an authority figure whose opinions matter!

    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Tula, Russia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Using Performance on a Fighter in Combat

    Quote Originally Posted by Saintheart View Post
    The "Adding Injury to Insults" article in Dragon #294. Unfortunately most of the insults amount to reputational damage which is something else, but there is one feat: Scathing Wit - two prerequisites and a Perform (wit) skill, but if you damage the target's reputation, the target makes a Fort 10 + Perform (wit) skill modifier. Failure indicates the target breaks out in hives r boils and suffers subdual damage equal to the reputation damage you inflict.
    Also, there is one more feat called Scathing Wit - in the Dragon Compendium:
    As a full-round action, you can belittle and insult a single creature that can understand you and is within 30 feet. You and the target must make opposed Intimidate checks; if you win, the target is humiliated and takes a -1 penalty on attack rolls, weapon damage rolls, ability checks, skill checks, and saving throws for a number of rounds equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum of 1 round). If you fail the opposed Intimidate check, the target shrugs off the insults.
    A particular target may only be subjected to your Scathing Wit once per day.
    Combine it with Imperious Command from Drow of the Underdark:
    If you successfully demoralize a foe in combat, the foe cowers in fear shame for 1 round and is shaken shamed in the following round.
    Use the Zhentarim Soldier ACF...

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •