The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Blade of the Four Fallen[3.5]

In the depths of the oceans, an ancient menace sleeps..
    A dark force corrodes the deserts of Zuhutl, threatening to destroy all in its past...
    A beast is buried in a land where it cannot be destroyed, waiting for its time..
    Frozen in the glaciers of the far north, it does not know it is comatose..
    Four monsters that are four blades. Four blades that are one. One blade that is absolute power.

So, my last attempt at this campaign was a failure, so screw it, Iím trying again. If the pixies are getting in on the cheesy Third Edition action, then Iím getting onto the same structurally unsound boat. Iíve learned from my mistakes, patched up the leaks, and memorized the ****ing script. Letís go.

Plot Hook:

The moon shines on Trethon, capital of the elves, a gem of city lights amidst the dark sea. You find yourself walking through the streets, lively even at the darkest hour of night. Hundreds have traveled across the world to trade in what is called the greatest market in the world; and you are in its center. This place is called the Geas Market, where white magic is bought easily, and darker magic can also be bought... for a price.

Suddenly, you see the glint of a sword among the potions of the alchemists and the scrolls of the magicians. A man in a expensive cloak is accompanied by two hulking henchmen, this stranger can not disguise his noble bearings, even with the hood of a cloak on his head. The glint moves towards him, revealing itself as the short sword of blue-skinned goblin warrior.

He throws a smoke bomb, revealing his intentions. As soon as he appears, the Geas Market disappears, each vendor teleporting away with their goods. Behind him are three more warriors in tow. He activates a wand on the guards, paralyzing them, before rushing towards the nobleman. The other pedestrians on this street have fled, you are the only ones left.

Character Creation:

Please create a level 5 character. No adjustment higher then +1, please. You can buyoff if you really want, but just use Savage Progressions like a normal person. Limit two flaws, two traits. Additional restrictions may apply.

Lastly, please only reply if you can post at least once per day. Additionally, Iím looking for a party of 5. One extra slot is reserved for LostLightís Kazikiri, if he is able to attend.
    Last edited by Vrock Bait; 2019-09-17 at 09:33 PM.
    Current games:
    The Sunless Citadel
    Blade of the Four Fallen
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodbyeSoberDay
    I think this teaches us a valuable lesson. At bizarrely low levels of optimization, the tier system disappears. In its place is the "we can't even beat CR=ECL-5 foes" system.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Blade of the Four Fallen[3.5]

Points.

Are we meant to be building cheese? Because I can pack a fair bit into 5 levels.

Not everyone has access to every single book, so some might not be able to use savage progression. Also, most come from a 3.0 book that lacks an update, and uses a fair bit of outdated and obsolete stats.
    Last edited by Buufreak; 2019-09-17 at 09:38 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Buufreak View Post
    Points.

Are we meant to be building cheese? Because I can pack a fair bit into 5 levels.

Not everyone has access to every single book, so some might not be able to use savage progression. Also, most come from a 3.0 book that lacks an update, and uses a fair bit of outdated and obsolete stats.
    The cheese was a joke, though depends on what op level you want. Savage progressions can be grabbed from a simple google search. So can most other 3.5 resources.
    Current games:
    The Sunless Citadel
    Blade of the Four Fallen
    I think this teaches us a valuable lesson. At bizarrely low levels of optimization, the tier system disappears. In its place is the "we can't even beat CR=ECL-5 foes" system.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

And many of those sources are illegal, of which it is frowned on to partake in on these forums.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Nerdomancer in the Playground Moderator

DruidGuy

posting interest, no specific build in mind yet, i'll mull it over soon as work slows down :)

**EDIT **

i'm going to be doing a "fun w/ ranger" build. get you a preliminary sheet tonight likely.

assuming standard WBL?
    Last edited by jdizzlean; 2019-09-18 at 12:36 AM.
    Spoiler: Medals
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    More sources, more choices, more power. Welcome to D&D.
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

What's our hp and stat situation?
    Blarg...

7. - Top - End - #7

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Buufreak View Post
    And many of those sources are illegal, of which it is frowned on to partake in on these forums.
    that's true in the build competitions, but a dm, either online or irl, can set the legality of any source as they see fit. what is valid at one table, isn't necessarily true at another after all.

**EDIT**

here's my sheet, still a WiP, but the gist of it is there, finish up on it tmw most likely

i did 32 pt buy for now, assuming standard wbl, but haven't actually spent more than a 1/3 of that yet, haven't done HP as still awaiting an answer on that also
    Last edited by jdizzlean; 2019-09-18 at 06:51 AM.
    Show

The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

If we go off 32 on, I am thinking of playing a dragonborn water orc warblade that specializes in a spiked chain for a weapon.
    Blarg...

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Hi!
    I am interested in this. Are you still recruiting? I see there is a ranger and a warblade. I'm thinking of something divine caster, perhaps cleric or druid.
    Roll for stats or are we using point buy?
    Last edited by NiKkatsu; 2019-09-18 at 09:53 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quick question, what is your stance on homebrew?
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

I enjoy fast paced pbp games.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson View Post
    Quick question, what is your stance on homebrew?
    Don't use it, unless it's mine, or a developers'. As in Mike Mearls' hexblade fix. But not anything from dandWiki.
    Quote Originally Posted by NiKkatsu View Post
    Hi!
    I am interested in this. Are you still recruiting? I see there is a ranger and a warblade. I'm thinking of something divine caster, perhaps cleric or druid.
    Roll for stats or are we using point buy?
    32 point buy.
    Last edited by Vrock Bait; 2019-09-18 at 09:44 PM.
    Current games:
    The Sunless Citadel
    Blade of the Four Fallen

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by jdizzlean View Post
    that's true in the build competitions, but a dm, either online or irl, can set the legality of any source as they see fit. what is valid at one table, isn't necessarily true at another after all.

**EDIT**

here's my sheet, still a WiP, but the gist of it is there, finish up on it tmw most likely

i did 32 pt buy for now, assuming standard wbl, but haven't actually spent more than a 1/3 of that yet, haven't done HP as still awaiting an answer on that also
    Standard. Take average, or roll.
    Current games:
    The Sunless Citadel
    Blade of the Four Fallen

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Vrock Bait View Post

32 point buy.
    Thanks! So definitely going for a Dream Dwarf cleric of the Earth Dream with protection and travel as his two domains. I'll play the mobile support. That's all I have for now, but am slowly building my concept, and should post more during the day or tomorrow;
    Last edited by NiKkatsu; 2019-09-19 at 06:37 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Posting interest since I would like to join up on another game. I'm still relatively new to 3.5 (I created my first 3.5 character in another 3.5 pbp) but I think I have a fair idea of how to create a character.

Just unsure what I'm going to go with yet. Maybe a rogue

Actually, Bard looks pretty dope at first glance and I haven't played a bard in either the 3.5 or 5th edition
    Last edited by Stone-Ears; 2019-09-19 at 01:28 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Stone-Ears View Post
    Posting interest since I would like to join up on another game. I'm still relatively new to 3.5 (I created my first 3.5 character in another 3.5 pbp) but I think I have a fair idea of how to create a character.

Just unsure what I'm going to go with yet. Maybe a rogue

Actually, Bard looks pretty dope at first glance and I haven't played a bard in either the 3.5 or 5th edition
    Bards are amazing in 3.5! They didn't get a lot of love, but definitely my favorite class of all time and of all editions (I also play pathfinder and 5th)

I'm also playing support. Parties with two supports can be surprisingly powerful when the supports synergize well! A rogue would also be quite useful considering the other characters, but I'm going to do a lot of divination so I can do trap detection and scouting and whatnot.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Bards are amazing in 3.5! They didn't get a lot of love, but definitely my favorite class of all time and of all editions (I also play pathfinder and 5th)

I'm also playing support. Parties with two supports can be surprisingly powerful when the supports synergize well! A rogue would also be quite useful considering the other characters, but I'm going to do a lot of divination so I can do trap detection and scouting and whatnot.
    I was thinking of being kind of a support as well as being excellent with a rapier or a dagger. I'd be focusing on the utility spells and some healing

To work together as a party better, I'm always open to suggestions. Because me, I definitely prefer the roleplaying aspect the most and the combat aspect is just a nice plus for me
    Last edited by Stone-Ears; 2019-09-19 at 02:48 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I was thinking of being kind of a support as well as being excellent with a rapier or a dagger. I'd be focusing on the utility spells and some healing

To work together as a party better, I'm always open to suggestions. Because me, I definitely prefer the roleplaying aspect the most and the combat aspect is just a nice plus for me
    We'll also do puzzles. Warning: Doppelgangers.
    Current games:
    The Sunless Citadel
    Blade of the Four Fallen

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Posting so that it make easier to find this thread later.

How high you expect the players to get? Level-wise, of course

Might play a full duskblade or maybe multiclass it with spellthief. Probably playing an illumian.
    Ruven Feathers, tengu opportunist with a keen eye for gold and an accute scent for death.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
    Posting so that it make easier to find this thread later.

How high you expect the players to get? Level-wise, of course

Might play a full duskblade or maybe multiclass it with spellthief. Probably playing an illumian.
    Hoping for up to epic. Not sure if it'll last that long, but I'll try.
    Current games:
    The Sunless Citadel
    Blade of the Four Fallen

21. - Top - End - #21
    Bugbear in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I'm also interested.

Have 3 characters I've been wanting to play for a while. Will see which people think would slot in best.

1) Master of Shrouds, who speaks for the lost spirits and vestiges of the world, and binds them to their service. Mechanically primarily divine caster, but different focus to support cleric of Nikkatsu, and some addition of Warlock, Binder and/or Conjurer Wizard.

2) Goliath Sniper, with a massive Bone Bow. Focused on taking out threats at extreme range, either through disarming or snuffing them out before they can hurt allies. Mechanically a lot of feat granting classes as it's pretty feat intensive, including Psychic Warrior. If we're avoiding Psionics I can avoid that. Also a pet Raven we can see through the eyes of as our Spotter.

3) Some sort of Scout skillmonkey, maybe going into Swift Hunter.

What do you guys think?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Very interested.
    "I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus
    Spoiler
    Show

"Airsick lowlander!"
    Threat, Timer, Treat
    Discord

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan View Post
    I'm also interested.

Have 3 characters I've been wanting to play for a while. Will see which people think would slot in best.

1) Master of Shrouds, who speaks for the lost spirits and vestiges of the world, and binds them to their service. Mechanically primarily divine caster, but different focus to support cleric of Nikkatsu, and some addition of Warlock, Binder and/or Conjurer Wizard.

2) Goliath Sniper, with a massive Bone Bow. Focused on taking out threats at extreme range, either through disarming or snuffing them out before they can hurt allies. Mechanically a lot of feat granting classes as it's pretty feat intensive, including Psychic Warrior. If we're avoiding Psionics I can avoid that. Also a pet Raven we can see through the eyes of as our Spotter.

3) Some sort of Scout skillmonkey, maybe going into Swift Hunter.

What do you guys think?
    The first idea seems interesting and fits with my dream dwarf, who sees through the Earth Dream and has an ability to see spirits. Not too down with the Goliath sniper as we already have an archer ranger. Scout could be cool, too, but personally I prefer your first idea. In the end it's up to you, though!
    Also, since we have a lot of people interested in support characters, I'm going to play Druid instead of Cleric. I find it fits more thematically with the character I have in mind, too! So I'm going to serve as secondary support and be more of a melee character. The rest won't change much. My sheet will be up during the week-end for sure!
    Oh, and mister DM: would you allow me to have a domain as a Druid? It is listed as a possible variant in Unearthed Arcana (p.68). I don't find it particularly unbalancing. Up to you! Druid is already a pretty strong class, but I would like to have the earth domain
    Last edited by NiKkatsu; 2019-09-20 at 04:23 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The first idea seems interesting and fits with my dream dwarf, who sees through the Earth Dream and has an ability to see spirits. Not too down with the Goliath sniper as we already have an archer ranger. Scout could be cool, too, but personally I prefer your first idea. In the end it's up to you, though!
    Also, since we have a lot of people interested in support characters, I'm going to play Druid instead of Cleric. I find it fits more thematically with the character I have in mind, too! So I'm going to serve as secondary support and be more of a melee character. The rest won't change much. My sheet will be up during the week-end for sure!
    Oh, and mister DM: would you allow me to have a domain as a Druid? It is listed as a possible variant in Unearthed Arcana (p.68). I don't find it particularly unbalancing. Up to you! Druid is already a pretty strong class, but I would like to have the earth domain
    You can have that, but you lose your Animal Companion. Is that ok?
    Current games:
    The Sunless Citadel
    Blade of the Four Fallen

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

First draft of my bard

Hap Percival Masque (Hap P. Masque)
    https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2016392

concept is based on the happy mask salesman from the Legend of Zelda

Have a question for DM, how much gold do we start off with. And also can my character just have an assortment of masks in his backpack? It'd be cool for this character since masks makes him happy
    Last edited by Stone-Ears; 2019-09-20 at 07:44 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26

DruidGuy

First draft of my bard

Hap Percival Masque (Hap P. Masque)
    https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2016392

concept is based on the happy mask salesman from the Legend of Zelda

Have a question for DM, how much gold do we start off with. And also can my character just have an assortment of masks in his backpack? It'd be cool for this character since masks makes him happy
    wealth is standard WBL, so 9,000 gp to play around w/
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Holy crap, that's more money than I know what to do with or even thing about playing with at level 5 but I'm sure I'll figure something out

EDIT: on second thought this might be easier than I thought. Everything is so fricking expensive and with good reason too!

I'm thinking about a cloak of Charisma but it looks like the lowest adjustment for that is +2. So if I'm understanding the original post correctly, this item would be discouraged since it has more than a +1 bonus
    Last edited by Stone-Ears; 2019-09-21 at 10:36 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Holy crap, that's more money than I know what to do with or even thing about playing with at level 5 but I'm sure I'll figure something out

EDIT: on second thought this might be easier than I thought. Everything is so fricking expensive and with good reason too!

I'm thinking about a cloak of Charisma but it looks like the lowest adjustment for that is +2. So if I'm understanding the original post correctly, this item would be discouraged since it has more than a +1 bonus
    I recommend the Master of Masks prestige class.
    Current games:
    The Sunless Citadel
    Blade of the Four Fallen

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vrock Bait View Post
    I recommend the Master of Masks prestige class.
    I did not know there was such a thing but it may be thematically in line with my character! Thanks for the recommendation!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

His intent in the OP is that you should not be using any race that has a level adjustment (or LA) of more than +1.