The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 82
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Kansas City
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Blade of the Four Fallen[3.5]

    Quote Originally Posted by Buufreak View Post
    His intent in the OP is that you should not be using any race that has a level adjustment (or LA) of more than +1.
    Ooooh then yeah, I probably have nothing to worry about. I'm just a half-elf bard. Being a noob to 3.5 I had no idea what the heck LA was.

  2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Jun 2017

    Default Re: Blade of the Four Fallen[3.5]

    Finally got most of Kula-Tai Skärthena ready. Just missing a few things, like standard adventuring gear and some detail to her background. She turned out to be somewhat of a tanky melee character - which we didn't seem to have at all - instead of a support. But I still have a few healing spells to support the party.

  3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Hollow World
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Blade of the Four Fallen[3.5]

    Quote Originally Posted by NiKkatsu View Post
    Finally got most of Kula-Tai Skärthena ready. Just missing a few things, like standard adventuring gear and some detail to her background. She turned out to be somewhat of a tanky melee character - which we didn't seem to have at all - instead of a support. But I still have a few healing spells to support the party.
    Would you mind filling out backstory? Thanks.
    Current games:
    The Sunless Citadel
    Blade of the Four Fallen
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodbyeSoberDay
    I think this teaches us a valuable lesson. At bizarrely low levels of optimization, the tier system disappears. In its place is the "we can't even beat CR=ECL-5 foes" system.

  4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Jun 2017

    Default Re: Blade of the Four Fallen[3.5]

    Quote Originally Posted by Vrock Bait View Post
    Would you mind filling out backstory? Thanks.
    Done. I wrote it a little quickly because I didn't want to make it into a novel, but I think it gives a good feel of who is Kula-Tai.

  5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Kansas City
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Blade of the Four Fallen[3.5]

    I completed my character as complete as I could, please let me know if there remains anything else I need to add or to clarify. I took Vrock's suggestion and looked into the Master of Masks Prestige class. It seems like a really fun class and a bit powerful early on but that should balance out in later levels I think

    https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2016392

  6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Hollow World
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Blade of the Four Fallen[3.5]

    Quote Originally Posted by Stone-Ears View Post
    I completed my character as complete as I could, please let me know if there remains anything else I need to add or to clarify. I took Vrock's suggestion and looked into the Master of Masks Prestige class. It seems like a really fun class and a bit powerful early on but that should balance out in later levels I think

    https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2016392
    You actually can’t qualify for it until 5th level. I was suggesting that you take it at 6th level. The problem is max skill ranks exist, meaning you can only put skill points into any skill equal to your level +3.Please re-evaluate your sheet, thanks.
    Last edited by Vrock Bait; 2019-09-24 at 01:46 PM.
    Current games:
    The Sunless Citadel
    Blade of the Four Fallen
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodbyeSoberDay
    I think this teaches us a valuable lesson. At bizarrely low levels of optimization, the tier system disappears. In its place is the "we can't even beat CR=ECL-5 foes" system.

  7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Jun 2017

    Default Re: Blade of the Four Fallen[3.5]

    Quote Originally Posted by Stone-Ears View Post
    I completed my character as complete as I could, please let me know if there remains anything else I need to add or to clarify. I took Vrock's suggestion and looked into the Master of Masks Prestige class. It seems like a really fun class and a bit powerful early on but that should balance out in later levels I think

    https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2016392
    For creating magical masks all you need is craft wondrous item. You don't even need to change anything because magical masks already exist in wondrous items

  8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Hollow World
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Blade of the Four Fallen[3.5]

    Quote Originally Posted by NiKkatsu View Post
    For creating magical masks all you need is craft wondrous item. You don't even need to change anything because magical masks already exist in wondrous items
    There are two problems with that: one, he would need to expend xp or gold to do that, and two, he took 4 levels of Master of Masks, which can’t be taken until 6th level.
    Current games:
    The Sunless Citadel
    Blade of the Four Fallen
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodbyeSoberDay
    I think this teaches us a valuable lesson. At bizarrely low levels of optimization, the tier system disappears. In its place is the "we can't even beat CR=ECL-5 foes" system.

  9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Jun 2017

    Default Re: Blade of the Four Fallen[3.5]

    Quote Originally Posted by Vrock Bait View Post
    There are two problems with that: one, he would need to expend xp or gold to do that, and two, he took 4 levels of Master of Masks, which can’t be taken until 6th level.
    Crafting magical items really sucks in 3.5, but I mean, he asked a way to craft magical masks. the solution is the craft wondrous items feat. Unless you house rule a way to craft magical masks without expending exp, I don't see another solution.

  10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Kansas City
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Blade of the Four Fallen[3.5]

    Oooooh! Dang! Alright I can wait a bit longer to do something that cool and I'll fix my sheet.

    So Master of Masks starting at 6th level definitely makes more sense than starting out with it on 2nd level.

    And I thought at 5th level you could put 8 ranks into any skills that are character class skills and 4 in those that are not. So is the skill modifier not supposed to be higher than 8?

    Alrighty then, off to try and fix this sheet, on the bright side, I now have 800 more gold to play with and I did see some items that I wanted but couldn't get just yet and I get more skill points to play with!
    Last edited by Stone-Ears; 2019-09-24 at 03:21 PM.

  11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Jun 2017

    Default Re: Blade of the Four Fallen[3.5]

    Quote Originally Posted by Stone-Ears View Post
    Oooooh! Dang! Alright I can wait a bit longer to do something that cool and I'll fix my sheet.

    So Master of Masks starting at 6th level definitely makes more sense than starting out with it on 2nd level.

    And I thought at 5th level you could put 8 ranks into any skills that are character class skills and 4 in those that are not.

    Alrighty then, off to try and fix this sheet
    You are right. You can put 8 ranks in class skills and 4 in cross-class. Which means that now you qualify for the prestige class if you have those 8 ranks in the appropriate skills. Meaning next level, you can start progressing as a master of masks! You need to have the requirement BEFORE taking any levels in the prestige class. You need a certain prestige to be able to enter a prestige class ;) Your best bet would be simply bard 5 for now, and when we gain a level, you can become bard5/master of masks 1
    Last edited by NiKkatsu; 2019-09-24 at 03:22 PM.

  12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Kansas City
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Blade of the Four Fallen[3.5]

    Quote Originally Posted by NiKkatsu View Post
    You are right. You cn put 8 ranks in class skills and 4 in cross-class. Which means that now you qualify for the prestige class. So next level, you can start progressing as a master of masks! You need to have the requirement BEFORE taking any levels in the prestige class. You need a certain prestige to be able to enter a prestige class ;) Your best bet would be simply bard 5 for now, and when we gain a level, you can become bard5/master of masks 1
    Oooooh that's what Vrock was saying then! Thanks for helping to clear that up! I appreciate y'all being patient and having a look over the sheet to make sure it's correct

  13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Hollow World
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Blade of the Four Fallen[3.5]

    Quote Originally Posted by Stone-Ears View Post
    Oooooh that's what Vrock was saying then! Thanks for helping to clear that up! I appreciate y'all being patient and having a look over the sheet to make sure it's correct
    Happy to help! (By the way, you don’t need to craft masks, you get those automatically with the class)
    Last edited by Vrock Bait; 2019-09-24 at 06:16 PM.
    Current games:
    The Sunless Citadel
    Blade of the Four Fallen
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodbyeSoberDay
    I think this teaches us a valuable lesson. At bizarrely low levels of optimization, the tier system disappears. In its place is the "we can't even beat CR=ECL-5 foes" system.

  14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Jun 2017

    Default Re: Blade of the Four Fallen[3.5]

    Vrock, do you think we could be ready to start soon? :D

  15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Hollow World
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Blade of the Four Fallen[3.5]

    Quote Originally Posted by NiKkatsu View Post
    Vrock, do you think we could be ready to start soon? :D
    Well, LostLight hasn’t responded to my PMs, so we can probably assume he won’t be joining us. Once a few more builds are finished, then we can go ahead and start!
    Current games:
    The Sunless Citadel
    Blade of the Four Fallen
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodbyeSoberDay
    I think this teaches us a valuable lesson. At bizarrely low levels of optimization, the tier system disappears. In its place is the "we can't even beat CR=ECL-5 foes" system.

  16. - Top - End - #46
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    West End, Hampshire, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Blade of the Four Fallen[3.5]

    I'm working on my Master of Shrouds build but have IRL game tonight, so will probably be able to finish it off tomorrow evening.

    Currently planning to focus a bit more on the sneaky side of things since we have a healy caster and a bard for face. Bringing forth patches of darkness in the blink of an eye so I can Blend Into The Shadows, summoning spirits to ambush enemies from the floor beneath their feet, that sort of thing.

    Question to @Vrock Bait. Would you say Augment Summoning applies to summons from feats like Water Devotion or the summons from the Master of Shrouds prestige class?

  17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Jun 2017

    Default Re: Blade of the Four Fallen[3.5]

    Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan View Post
    I'm working on my Master of Shrouds build but have IRL game tonight, so will probably be able to finish it off tomorrow evening.

    Currently planning to focus a bit more on the sneaky side of things since we have a healy caster and a bard for face. Bringing forth patches of darkness in the blink of an eye so I can Blend Into The Shadows, summoning spirits to ambush enemies from the floor beneath their feet, that sort of thing.

    Question to @Vrock Bait. Would you say Augment Summoning applies to summons from feats like Water Devotion or the summons from the Master of Shrouds prestige class?
    a tanky character, a roguish character and a face, all with healing capabilities!? Rarely have I been part of a team with so much survivability. Love it!

  18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Kansas City
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Blade of the Four Fallen[3.5]

    It's going to be hard to un-alive us for sure! I'm also trying to make sure I'm pretty much prepared for just about anything. I didn't get to update my character yesterday much and I've still got 800 gold to play with. I'll be spending some time today looking at some equipment that I hope will help.

  19. - Top - End - #49
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    West End, Hampshire, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Blade of the Four Fallen[3.5]

    Quote Originally Posted by NiKkatsu View Post
    a tanky character, a roguish character and a face, all with healing capabilities!? Rarely have I been part of a team with so much survivability. Love it!
    Yes....a roguish character.....I totally have *looks at smudged writing on hand* Lackpinking skills and Sloot of Hond, not to mention Trapfinging. Honest

    That said....I maybe could do if I dropped 1 level in rogue-esque....hmmmmmmmm.....

  20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Kansas City
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Blade of the Four Fallen[3.5]

    I think we are forgetting jdizzlean's wizardy/mystic ranger sea elf. That should provide some magical firepower for us

  21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Kansas City
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Blade of the Four Fallen[3.5]

    Hey so, I gotta ask, do skill synergies stack up as misc modifiers because I changed up some of my skills.

    I ask mostly because my Diplomacy is a whopping 19 and I feel like I may have made a mistake somewhere.

    I have a 4 for my ability modifier for Charisma
    I put 7 ranks in it

    Then I get a +2 for being half elf

    So before Skill synergy, I have 13, which I thought was pretty cool.

    But after Skill Synergy I have 19 because of

    +5 ranks in Bluff = +2 on diplomacy
    +5 ranks in Sense Motive = +2 on diplomacy (I modified some of my skills to make sure I could actually sense motives because that's an important face skill)
    +5 ranks in Knowledge (nobility and royalty) = +2 on diplomacy (replaced knowledge history with knowledge nobility and royalty for the boost to diplomacy)

    So....did I do that right or did I misunderstand skill synergy.

  22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Jun 2017

    Default Re: Blade of the Four Fallen[3.5]

    Quote Originally Posted by Stone-Ears View Post
    Hey so, I gotta ask, do skill synergies stack up as misc modifiers because I changed up some of my skills.

    I ask mostly because my Diplomacy is a whopping 19 and I feel like I may have made a mistake somewhere.

    I have a 4 for my ability modifier for Charisma
    I put 7 ranks in it

    Then I get a +2 for being half elf

    So before Skill synergy, I have 13, which I thought was pretty cool.

    But after Skill Synergy I have 19 because of

    +5 ranks in Bluff = +2 on diplomacy
    +5 ranks in Sense Motive = +2 on diplomacy (I modified some of my skills to make sure I could actually sense motives because that's an important face skill)
    +5 ranks in Knowledge (nobility and royalty) = +2 on diplomacy (replaced knowledge history with knowledge nobility and royalty for the boost to diplomacy)

    So....did I do that right or did I misunderstand skill synergy.
    You got that right. They stack because they are untyped bonuses.

  23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Hollow World
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Blade of the Four Fallen[3.5]

    Quote Originally Posted by NiKkatsu View Post
    You got that right. They stack because they are untyped bonuses.
    And that, ladies and germs, is why Diplomacy is broken. Should we keep these rules, or go with Rich Burlew’s Persuasion Variant?
    Current games:
    The Sunless Citadel
    Blade of the Four Fallen
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodbyeSoberDay
    I think this teaches us a valuable lesson. At bizarrely low levels of optimization, the tier system disappears. In its place is the "we can't even beat CR=ECL-5 foes" system.

  24. - Top - End - #54
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Buufreak's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Gender
    Intersex

    Default Re: Blade of the Four Fallen[3.5]

    Quote Originally Posted by Vrock Bait View Post
    And that, ladies and germs, is why Diplomacy is broken. Should we keep these rules, or go with Rich Burlew’s Persuasion Variant?
    It is, but that ain't why in the slightest.

  25. - Top - End - #55
    Nerdomancer in the Playground Moderator
     
    DruidGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Blade of the Four Fallen[3.5]

    Podanlin is done. i still tinker w/ equipment now and then, but i don't think i'll be adding more at this point, but who knows :p


    also, so it's out there, I plan on going into stormcaster after 1 more rank in m. ranger, because why not?
    Spoiler: Medals
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    More sources, more choices, more power. Welcome to D&D.
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

  26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Hollow World
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Blade of the Four Fallen[3.5]

    Quote Originally Posted by Buufreak View Post
    It is, but that ain't why in the slightest.
    Yes, I know. I’ve experimented with theoretical Diplomacy garbage before. After level 3, if you choose your stuff carefully, you can easily convince the BBEG to teleport himself to hell.
    Current games:
    The Sunless Citadel
    Blade of the Four Fallen
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodbyeSoberDay
    I think this teaches us a valuable lesson. At bizarrely low levels of optimization, the tier system disappears. In its place is the "we can't even beat CR=ECL-5 foes" system.

  27. - Top - End - #57
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Kansas City
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Blade of the Four Fallen[3.5]

    Ok I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought it was broken. I was so convinced that I mucked up something because it didn't seem like a level 5 character should be able to have every word be smoother than cream butter on warm bread. I like a challenge and I like to fail every now and then so If there is a variation that corrects the brokenness, I am more than open to do that. I don't want to auto-succeed on every diplomacy check unless I'm talking with someone that's just average.

    EDIT: I read Rich Burlew's variation and I really like how it is set up. At least in that variation, there is some difference between wowing a commoner and wowing someone who is really skeptical or not easily swayed.
    Last edited by Stone-Ears; 2019-09-26 at 08:20 AM.

  28. - Top - End - #58
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    West End, Hampshire, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Blade of the Four Fallen[3.5]

    Quote Originally Posted by jdizzlean View Post
    Podanlin is done. i still tinker w/ equipment now and then, but i don't think i'll be adding more at this point, but who knows :p


    also, so it's out there, I plan on going into stormcaster after 1 more rank in m. ranger, because why not?
    Looks cool. I'll be able to sneak along with you and hide in the shadows, and maybe be on hand to open a locked door or two. Have a way to make Disable Device a class skill, but just checking. I still need Trapfinding for magical traps, yes?

  29. - Top - End - #59
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2017

    Default Re: Blade of the Four Fallen[3.5]

    Is there still the possibility to join? I would like to try out a Dex-based swordsage, multiclass specialized transmuter for hitting and buffing purposes. (I think it's not really cheesy but I'm bad in guessing the strength of characters.)

    Most likely I can only post once per day, would that be okay? (perhaps more often, I guess I have to see.)
    Last edited by Alhallor; 2019-09-26 at 09:06 AM.

  30. - Top - End - #60
    Nerdomancer in the Playground Moderator
     
    DruidGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Blade of the Four Fallen[3.5]

    Quote Originally Posted by Alhallor View Post
    Is there still the possibility to join? I would like to try out a Dex-based swordsage, multiclass specialized transmuter for hitting and buffing purposes. (I think it's not really cheesy but I'm bad in guessing the strength of characters.)

    Most likely I can only post once per day, would that be okay? (perhaps more often, I guess I have to see.)

    you don't have to build the strongest character, just build something you'll enjoy playing. if we wanted to wreck the game, everyone could just go druid 20.
    Spoiler: Medals
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    More sources, more choices, more power. Welcome to D&D.
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •