The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Default Re: Masks: Junior Guardians

@DaedalusMkV Ah, I didn’t see that, sorry. Here is a list of all the applicants, organized by playbook, so we can see who is making characters for which playbooks. Bold is for character sheets, not bold is stated interest or concepts. and as soon as I finish it I refresh and you already made a table, gosh dang it. Well, seeing who is interested in what still helps. Recruitment is still open now though, right?

Spoiler: this isn't really relevant anymore
    Show
    Transformed - Ankylo-Don - Zero Prime

Scion - Facet - Ramsus

Protege - Magical Munitions Maiden Maria (M4) - Awful

Protege - roko10

Harbringer- Titan - roko10

Outsider - Foreigner - Jumbus

Lecacy - KID COLLIER - seatgyer

Bull - seatyger

Nova - Modigar

Nova - roko10

Janus - gac3

Brain - Eldest

Beacon - roko10

If you're still taking new applicants, I'll try to get something up. Here are the two ideas that I have so far, both are not at all set in stone yet. Darn it all the concepts I see are already really good and I'm not sure if I can make something at that level.

Spoiler: character concepts
    Show
    Janus: Jackson Hale recently discovered that he had metahuman powers, the ability to control bees and sense anything they sense. This was made more complicated by the fact that his mother is a city council member running for mayor on a anti-metahuman platform. She isn't explicitly a 'human supremacist' but things like her proposed registry for people with metahuman powers are gaining her support from human-supremacist groups. Jackson has been fighting crime under the identity of 'the arthropod' and recently signed up to join the Junior Guardians. He is trying to keep his identity hidden because his mother and the community that he lives in will not take him being a metahuman well.

Reformed: Santiago Flora always thought the villains were cooler. Even before they started getting involved in the scene, the lairs, capes, and flair for the dramatic drew them in. So as soon as they discovered that [some variety of superpower, whichever one fits the concept once I develop it further] they started getting involved in the super-crime scene. They were a theater kid and a bit of a kleptomaniac so they were quickly able to assemble a suitable costume. The initial forays into supervillainy eventually escalated into team-ups with other young villains and jewel or museum heists. Santiago wasn't willing to kill or seriously injure anyone, but they didn't have any problem with property damage or theft, especially if there was an even halfway-convincing justification. However, things got a lot worse when their crimes got the attention of a syndicate of superpowered criminals called The Compact. Santiago refused to join and the compact responded by threatening his friends and family. To keep their loved ones safe, Santiago turned to the Guardians for protection, and they helped keep their family safe from the Compact. So now Santiago is a hero or something, they're not really sure about this but also not going to say no to the people who literally saved everyone they care about.
    I go by They/Them pronouns, BTW.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quagmire View Post
    @DaedalusMkV Ah, I didn’t see that, sorry. Here is a list of all the applicants, organized by playbook, so we can see who is making characters for which playbooks. Bold is for character sheets, not bold is stated interest or concepts. and as soon as I finish it I refresh and you already made a table, gosh dang it. Well, seeing who is interested in what still helps. Recruitment is still open now though, right?

If you're still taking new applicants, I'll try to get something up. Here are the two ideas that I have so far, both are not at all set in stone yet. Darn it all the concepts I see are already really good and I'm not sure if I can make something at that level.

Spoiler: character concepts
    Show
    Janus: Jackson Hale recently discovered that he had metahuman powers, the ability to control bees and sense anything they sense. This was made more complicated by the fact that his mother is a city council member running for mayor on a anti-metahuman platform. She isn't explicitly a 'human supremacist' but things like her proposed registry for people with metahuman powers are gaining her support from human-supremacist groups. Jackson has been fighting crime under the identity of 'the arthropod' and recently signed up to join the Junior Guardians. He is trying to keep his identity hidden because his mother and the community that he lives in will not take him being a metahuman well.

Reformed: Santiago Flora always thought the villains were cooler. Even before they started getting involved in the scene, the lairs, capes, and flair for the dramatic drew them in. So as soon as they discovered that [some variety of superpower, whichever one fits the concept once I develop it further] they started getting involved in the super-crime scene. They were a theater kid and a bit of a kleptomaniac so they were quickly able to assemble a suitable costume. The initial forays into supervillainy eventually escalated into team-ups with other young villains and jewel or museum heists. Santiago wasn't willing to kill or seriously injure anyone, but they didn't have any problem with property damage or theft, especially if there was an even halfway-convincing justification. However, things got a lot worse when their crimes got the attention of a syndicate of superpowered criminals called The Compact. Santiago refused to join and the compact responded by threatening his friends and family. To keep their loved ones safe, Santiago turned to the Guardians for protection, and they helped keep their family safe from the Compact. So now Santiago is a hero or something, they're not really sure about this but also not going to say no to the people who literally saved everyone they care about.
    Recruitment is indeed still open to anyone who wants to submit a character. I simply moved the deadline forwards because, put simply, I didn't expect to have as many submissions within 48 hours as I did. I expected mostly expressions of interest and maybe concept pitches by this point, not five finished or near-finished characters. Too used to Pathfinder PbP, I think, where character mechanics take far more time. Thanks for putting in the work to collect the info, sorry I kind of ruined the effect.

Regarding your concepts:
    I think both are fine in general. The Janus has a fairly classic X-men feel, ties into some themes other people have going on and seems simple enough, though... Frankly, his Power is probably more Beacon-level than Janus. While controlling bees is certainly not useless, and he could be excellent at information-gathering, there's a fairly limited number of ways to actually employ a bunch of bees in superpowered battle, and the simple truth is that the supply of bees in a major city is more than a bit limited. He'd probably need a few secondary Powers as well, or a much broader range of things he can control for his primary, for most people to not look at his power as being not nearly strong enough to be a real hero (IE, Beacon stuff). Pure bee control powers would probably necessitate something along the lines of being able to summon an endless swarm of bees from the Dimensional Plane of Honey or something. Could work as a Beacon with Janus themes as-is, though.

The second concept is decent enough. Someone who tries to bring Supervillain presentation to heroic pursuits could definitely be fun. "Mwahaha! Villains, you have fallen into the trap of Darkwraith, master thief!" "Uh, you're doing it again." "Oops. Darkwraith, the justice who lurks in the night! Or something. Master thief sounds so much cooler..."
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Yeah, as long as the fluff gets done MASKS character creation goes pretty fast. Also, I like how you seem to get what I’m trying to go for with the two concepts.

For the Janus, I’m trying to figure out which other powers would fit. One of the ones on the default list is insect control which I like, and a bit of agility/toughness is part of the default Janus package so Jackson can still do fairly well in a fight. I’m still trying to figure out which secondary power fits. And the themes do fit with some other groups.

And for the Reformed, that’s a really good angle: “what do you mean we’re calling the lair a “headquarters” now and we can’t put any shark pits in it? Then what do we do when someone tries to foil our schemes? We don’t have schemes either, what is this?”

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

Bees communicate through pheromones, and carry pollen. So you having a cloud of pollen to blast in a room to mask movement (and also seriously %$&^ with someone's allergies), or pheromones which could make you more slurring, intimidating, or daze/stun opponents, and there's always the venomous bee sting. Now that's moving away from *just control*, but it does stick with the theme and could be fun!

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DaedalusMkV View Post
    ... So he pretty much flies around like a human rocket ship then, with a massive plume of fire jetting out from his feet? Sounds fun!
    Well, I was thinking something closer to a turbofan engine that putters around like a Sopwith Camel, but, yeah. ;)

The Legacy always starts play missing a portion of the power suite available to the older members of the Legacy. Which Powers does Tommy not have, and how does that affect him? Including 'Heat blasts' as an option (that the older Legacy members were missing too), there should still be one more thing your Dad can do that you can't.
    Oops. That's what I get for skimming the read.

Let's go with the fact that Tommy can't generate that heat field and, thus, can't fly just yet. He has some basics down, like that he can heat an object in close proximity to him (like a rock or a brick...which actually ties into an ancient mining technique), but the greater heat radiation power and its flight derivative are, so far, beyond him.

And, unless he gets a lift, he has to rely on the Harley his grandfather rode when he was Collier. You know, "Old School." ;)

You don't need to (and shouldn't) answer your When our Team Came Together question yet. There's an order to answering them, and other people's answers might change what you want to put. Ideally, everyone's answers put together will form a narrative explaining what happened... When your team came together.
    Yeah, the answer hit me as I was adding the section. I'll set it aside 'til we get to that part.

Two questions for you from what I read.
    1: Is Kid Collier religious? Does he attend church regularly?
    2: Does Tommy live at his family home in Halcyon? Does he want to stay there if he does?
    1. Yes, he's religious. His Hungarian ancestors were Calvinists, but the family started attending Methodist services after emigrating. They attend regularly.

2. For now, he does. He's only 16, and not emancipated, so, technically, he has to stay there. Like any teenager, he wants to get out of the house as soon as he can...doubly so, since he has to operate out of his dad's secret lair. Man, he needs his own lair...

Spoiler: KID COLLIER, THE LEGACY
    Show

Spoiler: INFO
    Show

Legacy Name - Kid Collier (son of the current Collier, grandson of the original Collier)
    Real Name - Thomas Roman "Tommy" Vale III (b. November 6, 2003)

Look - man, White, comfortable clothing, modern costume, simple symbol insignia
    Costume - Charcoal Gray and Black, with integrated gloves and heavy boots, and a modern three-quarters helmet with integrated tinted goggles
    Logo - Yellow-Orange disk, trimmed with silver, centered on chest; represents a miner's headlamp

Spoiler: ABILITIES
    Show

Enhanced Strength and Toughness (representing the ruggedness of the area and its people)

Near Invulnerability to Extreme Heat and Fire (representing the heat of a mine shaft)

Transfer Heat to a Nearby Object (as a precursor to being able to Generate a Heat Radius (see below))

Full Visual Acuity in the Infrared Spectrum

Extreme Cold (polar cold, not Wisconsin cold) weakens his powers, and he's more vulnerable to cold/ice-based attacks

Missing Powers
    Ability to Generate Heat in a Significant Radius
    - His father figured out how to direct that heat to create Flight (max 120mph...not entirely useful tactically, but good for getting around in the city)
    - What none of them have ever figured out is how to direct their heat in a focused attack. (The heat generation ability is too dispersed, and being able to direct it generally "though the feet" isn't the same thing as the pinpoint focus and accuracy required to make it useful in combat.)

Spoiler: MOMENT OF TRUTH
    Show

This is the moment when you prove how much the mantle belongs to you. You seize control of all your powers, and you defeat even impossible odds to prove you are worthy of the name you carry. You accomplish feats even your predecessors couldn't do. Of course, after you prove something like that, you can expect still more responsibilities to be placed on your shoulders.

Spoiler: TEAM MOVES
    Show

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, tell them whether you see them as an equal. If you do, give them Influence over you and mark potential. If you don't, shift Superior up any any other Label down.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, tell them a secret about your legacy (including your own true feelings about it) to clear a condition and give them Influence over you.

Spoiler: POTENTIAL
    Show

O O O O O

Spoiler: ADVANCEMENTS
    Show
    TBD

Spoiler: OTHER MOVES
    Show
    TBD

Spoiler: LABELS
    Show

DANGER 0
    FREAK 0
    SAVIOR +2
    SUPERIOR 0
    MUNDANE +1

Spoiler: CONDITIONS
    Show

O Afraid (-2 to directly engage a threat)
    O Angry (-2 to comfort or support or pierce the mask)
    O Guilty (-2 to provoke someone or assess the situation)
    O Hopeless (-2 to unleash your powers)
    O Insecure (-2 to defend someone or reject others' influence)

Spoiler: BACKSTORY
    Show

1. When did you officially become part of your legacy?
    On my sixteenth birthday, a few months ago. My father and grandfather have been training me since my powers manifested more than a year ago, but only on my birthday did I get my new costume.

2. What is the greatest accomplishment of your legacy?
    Father stopped a terrorist attack on Halcyon City in 2005, saving hundreds of thousands of people. He was given the key to the city and has become one of its greatest heroes.

3. How does the public perceive your legacy?
    We're loved, both here and back home in West Virginia. There's even a monument to Pop in Morgantown. (However, since Dad made Halcyon City his home base after 9/11, the folks back in West Virginia feel like he's sold out.)

4. How does your legacy tie into your reasons for being a hero?
    Pop and Dad both taught me the value of doing good in this world; God gave us these talents, and we need to be like the industrious servants in that parable. How could I be anything but a hero?

5. Why do you care about the team?
    For one, it gives me a chance to be my own hero, instead of just the "Junior Collier." I'm no sidekick, and the team allows me to prove that.

Background
    Roman Vajar and his family emigrated from Hungary to West Virginia in 1873. Upon entering the U.S., Roman changed the family name to Vale, to better fit in, and ensured the family integrated into local culture as soon as possible. Before Thomas Roman Vale, Jr. became a mining engineer, five generations of Vales worked the mines.

Tommy's grandfather Thomas Roman Vale, Sr. (b. 1950), was trapped in a mine collapse in 1969; he encountered a strange gas within the chamber, and quickly fell unconscious. He awoke in the hospital three days later, having cleared a path through the collapse with his bare hands. After discovering his powers, he took the name Collier and worked to protect the people of his native state. He had a daughter (Millie, 1973-1987) and a son (Thomas, Jr., below); his daughter was killed when her powers manifested and consumed her. Collier brought in trusted heroes to ensure his son wouldn't suffer the same fate. He retired from fighting crime in 1999, not long after his father passed away.

Tommy's father Thomas Roman Vale, Jr. ("Tom") (b. 1977) studied mining engineering and became the first of his family to get out of the mine (much to his father's chagrin). He discovered his powers as a teen and fought crime alongside his father as Kid Collier, eventually taking his father's place as the Collier in 1999. Now that his own son's powers have manifested, the Collier looks to teach his him the family "business."

Tommy has a few first cousins, and a whole slew of second cousins, back in West Virginia. The family gets together regularly, even occasionally making the trip to Halcyon City.

Spoiler: WHEN OUR TEAM FIRST CAME TOGETHER...
    Show

All things considered, we did well and impressed an established hero. Who was it?
    The Kilkenny Cat, an...unorthodox scrapper who prowls the underworld

Spoiler: RELATIONSHIPS
    Show

I once got caught doing something that shames my legacy with XXXXXXXX.
    I trust XXXXXXXX and told them an important secret of my legacy.

Spoiler: INFLUENCE
    Show

XXXXXXX, XXXXXXX, XXXXXX, XXXXXX have Influence over me. (I start by giving all of my teammates Influence over me.)
    I have influence over XXXXXXX.

Spoiler: LEGACY MOVES
    Show

Fight the Good Fight: When you pull your punches while directly engaging a threat, you can roll +Savior instead of +Danger. If you do, you cannot choose to Impress, Surprise, or Frighten your foe.

The Legacy Matters: When you take Influence over someone from your legacy (or give them Influence over you), mark potential and take +1 forward. When someone from your legacy causes your Labels to shift, mark potential and take +1 forward.

Spoiler: LEGACY
    Show

My legacy is an important part of Halcyon City.

The Collier (my Dad) is still active and prominent in the city.
    The original Collier (my Pop) is retired and quite judgmental.
    My little brother Nicholas (b. 2006) and sister Millie (b. 2010) are the next possible members of our Legacy.
    Colonel Gelid, a criminal mastermind with ice-based powers, is the greatest opponent our legacy every faced...and is still at large.

Whenever time passes, roll +Savior to see how the members of my legacy feel or react to my most recent exploits. Before rolling, ask the other players to answer these questions about my performance. Take -1 to the roll for each "no" answer:
    - Have I been upholding the traditions of my legacy?
    - Have I maintained the image of my legacy?
    - Have I made the other members of my legacy proud?

On a hit, one of them offers me meaningful encouragement, an opportunity, or an advantage. On a 7-9, another is upset with my most recent actions, and will make their displeasure known. On a miss, something I did stirred up the hornet's next -- expect several members of my legacy to meddle with my life.
    Last edited by seatyger; 2019-09-19 at 05:10 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Hey sorry a bit busy today but will have those questions answered tonight after my test as well as some in character opinions. Those opinions will be quite short though due to the amount of applicants. I don't envy you Daedalus

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

Ella Lal, aka Titania

Spoiler
    Show
    Look

Female, South Asian, Slender And Short, Vintage Clothing, Colorful Costume

Abilities
    She has many inventions: the main way she fights is with various darts with disabling toxins or electrical stuns. The one she's best known for, and her namesake, is a rig that can get her to shrink quite small: the smallest she's managed yet in the field was about two inches high. In the lab, she's gotten it down to millimeters.

Labels
    Danger: +0
    Directly Engage
    Freak: +1
    Unleash Your Powers
    Savior: +1
    Defend Another
    Superior: +2
    Assess The Situation, Provoke Others
    Mundane: -1
    Comfort Or Support, Pierce The Mask

Conditions
    Afraid [ ] -2 to Directly Engage
    Clear by running from something difficult
    Angry [ ] -2 to Comfort Or Support or Pierce The Mask
    Clear by hurting somebody or breaking something important
    Guilty [ ] -2 to Provoke Others or Assess The Situation
    Clear by making a sacrifice to absolve the guilt
    Hopeless [ ] -2 to Unleash Your Powers
    Clear by flinging yourself into easy relief
    Insecure [ ] -2 to Defend Another or Reject Influence
    Clear by acting recklessly without consulting your team

Potential
    [ ]>>>>>[ ]>>>>>[ ]>>>>>[ ]>>>>>[ ]

Moves
    Above The Fray
    When you enter battle as a Team against a dangerous foe, if you have Influence over the leader and provide tactical input, add 1 Team to the pool. When you contradict the leader during the battle, you may return Influence over the leader to add an additional 1 Team to the pool.
    Always Prepared
    When you have a chance to restock your supplies, hold up to 2-gadgets. When you unleash your powers by producing a brand new minor invention or gadget from your supply, spend 1-gadget and roll + Superior. When you reach 0-gadgets, mark a condition.
    Tactical Genius
    When you point out the obvious flaw in a known foe’s plan, roll + Savior. On a hit, you’re right, and another teammate (your choice) can take advantage; they get +1 ongoing to act on your information. On a 7-9, pick one:
    - You missed something important. The GM will tell you what.
    - You look like a showoff. Your chosen teammate takes Influence over you, and you lose Influence over them.
    - You make your teammates feel like little more than pawns. Your chosen teammate marks a condition.
    On a miss, you’ve played into your enemy’s hands; watch the trap spring.

Backstory
    How did you first reveal your genius to your friend and family?
    I mean. They aren't exactly dumb either. Dad's a veterinarian, sure, but that's just because he stopped wanting to see people bleed after he got out of the military. Has this whole dumb joke about being a "vet vet", then he laughs. But he did plenty with implants and such when he was in their R&D branch. And Mom's an astronomer. Both of them noticed when I started participating at their dinner table discussions. It was just far, far earlier than they expected. I think I was 6.
    Why did you decide to use your intellect to the benefit of others?
    They raised me to do that, once they got a scale of what their kid could do. Only ever tried to do something stupid once, wanted to make a storm bad enough to get out of going to school. Dad spent the rest of the night going over exactly what that would entail, as far as flooding, fires, electrical damage, wind damage... it was a sobering experience. I still have an idea how to make that storm generator, I just don't ever want to. I know it's something that still gives them both nightmares. I think they're hoping the hero thing helps me channel my talents constructively.
    What accident or misfire taught you some sense of humility or responsibility?
    What happened to Professor Milton. I don't really know what it was, even now. My theory is that he used the Diamond Throne (yes, it's pretentious, it wasn't my name) to boost his psychic powers enough that he could live independently of his body. I just don't know what happened after that: the body vanished, and those Peace Cults keep showing up. It's worrying, both in that I just don't know what happened, and that I feel used by it. It's why I don't let anybody else use my inventions now, unless I trust them wholeheartedly.
    Who helped you realize you need other people?
    In that aftermath of Professor Milton's... Professor Milton, I got stuck in the lab we were working in. Whatever happened to him, he had drawn enough power to cause a blackout in the area, and that in turn triggered all of the safety measures we had in place. Only it was designed to work with a backup array of batteries, and those got drained too somehow. So I was stuck in the lab, with no power. The fire department needed to get me out. And that was humbling. Nobody's a village. I make things, and often make the tools I need, and the objects I use. But I use tools and materials other people make, eat food they made, wear clothing they designed.
    Why do you care about the team?
    I like my friends? Sure, they aren't your normal group of friends, but I'm not a normal person. That's cool.

Her Shame
    Peace Cults
    Ever since Professor Milton's disappearance/ascendancy, there's been the spontaneous formation of, for lack of a better term, cults. They tend to have psychic powers, link together, and have a bond to something bigger, that's having them work to construct... things. I've been trying to find any sort of rhyme or reason to it yet, but they all seem to be unrelated to each other, if directed with one purpose. A machine to purify water and introduce agents that weaken human will, some sort of portal that got stopped too early to know where to, a machine to induce more people into the Cult, things of that nature. They appear to want to make the world a more peaceful, cooperative place, and to grow their numbers in order to accomplish that better. My worry is that they've said some things that only Professor Milton would know. So if he's tied to this, how do I deal with it?

My shame is a cosmic phenomenom.
    Whenever you are confronted with your shame, either mark a condition or shift Superior down and Danger up. If your shame is an NPC, they can never lose Influence over you.
    At the end of every session, answer the question 'did you take steps to make amends for your shame?' If the answer is yes, mark potential. If the answer is no, give Influence to one of your teammates.
    Last edited by Eldest; 2019-09-19 at 05:56 PM.
    LGBTA+itP

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

@Quagmire: Winged flight would also makes sense.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Everyone, thanks for the various suggestions for powers! I appreciate the help.

@Ramsus that would actually work. I’ll have to figure out how they could be hidden though, since the Janus is very much about keeping the powers/superheroing hidden. Maybe they can fold up under clothes or something.

Also, do any of you have preferences as to which of the two characters you’re more interested in? I’ll probably have time tonight to build a character but I’m still not sure which of my characters works.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

They're both good, but probably the Janus just because you've got a lot of power ideas now that should be fun to work with. And also given my character needs to gain the respect of the current (and best!) mayor, the elements your Janus brings in would make things interesting there.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Spoiler: Jackson Hale: the Janus
    Show
    Description
    Hero name: Arthropod
    Look: man, mixed race, formal clothing, concealing costume, helmet

Expanded look: In costume, Arthropod resembles the insects he named himself after. His mask is a helmet that looks almost like a gas mask, with reflective compound-looking eyepieces and a speaker where the mouth on a face would be. Antenna-like protrusions from the top of the helmet complete the look, antenna for a gps and radio receiver. The rest of the outfit is like a less bulky and cumbersome beekeeper uniform, layers of protective tan-yellow fibers covering his body to better protect him and his secret identity. Vents near the head and wrists allow more concentrated bursts of pheromones to be released from the suit. The entire thing has jagged spray-painted stripes on it to enhance the ‘bee’ look.

Out of costume, Jackson had ‘an image to uphold’ so he is stuck with clothes more formal than a teenager would be comfortable wearing. He usually ditches the jacket and tie in his car, so he spends most of his time dressed in a untucked and wrinkled dress shirt. He has straight brown hair and a generally average looking face, and a slightly athletic physique. He also has bags under his eyes some days, when schoolwork or the internship require him to stay up for half the night.

Abilities: heightened physical abilities, insect control (mostly bees but can work on other insects), extraordinary senses (pheromone-senses and the ability to use insects as scouts)

Basically, the standard superhero package of increased strength and durability, and the power to use pheromones to communicate with and command insects. It works best on ants and bees since they naturally commands from pheromones. He can also detect the pheromones of humans, which works as a very low-resolution emotion detection since human pheromones are pretty different from insect ones. He can also create said pheromones himself, to confuse of stun enemies, but this is also made less useful by the fact that human and insect pheromones are different. He can command insects other than bees, they’re just easiest to control and also his favorite.

Labels & Conditions
    Labels:
    Danger:+0
    Freak: -1
    Savior: +0
    Superior: +1
    Mundane: +3

Conditions:
    ❑ Afraid (-2 to directly engage a threat)
    ❑ Angry (-2 to comfort or support or pierce the mask)
    ❑ Guilty (-2 to provoke someone or assess the situation)
    ❑ Hopeless (-2 to unleash your powers)
    ❑ Insecure (-2 to defend someone or reject others’ influence)

Potential:

Relationships & Influence
    _____________________ knew you from your civilian life first.
    You refused to tell ___________________ your secret identity when they asked.

You look up to your teammates; they seem to have this superhero thing figured out. Give two of them Influence over you.

Moves

The Mask: You wear a mask and hide your real identity. Choose what Label you try to embody while wearing your mask: Freak
    Once per session, you can affirm either your heroic or secret identity to switch your Mundane with your mask’s Label
    When you reveal your secret identity to someone who didn’t know it already, mark potential.

Dangerous Web: When you reveal a trap you’ve left for someone using your powers, roll + your mask’s Label. On a hit, your opponent trips into it, and you get an opening or opportunity against them. On a 10+, take +1 forward to pursuing
    it. On a miss, the trap inadvertently leads to a dangerous escalation.

I am what you see: When you spend time talking to someone about your identity, you can ask them which Label they want to impose on you; their player will tell you honestly. If you accept what they tell you, take +1 forward and either mark potential or clear a condition.

Secret Identity
    Your mundane life comes with a series of obligations. Choose a total of three obligations.

Younger brother: Jackson has a younger brother, Jonas, who he acts as a surrogate parent to. Since his father isn’t present and his mother is always campaigning, Jackson is the one who makes sure that Jonas keeps his grades up, eats something other than junk food, and generally makes sure he’s doing ok. Jackson also is trying to stop his mother from passing her anti-meta views onto Jonas withought revealing that he is a mutant.

Omnitech internship: Jackson is the son of a politician and decently smart, so he managed to get an internship with a prestigious tech company called Omnitech. It takes a lot of time, but it’s paid and gives him access to some pretty cool technology. He is starting to suspect that Omnitech is involved in some sort of sinister experiments, though, after overhearing a conversation between some of the higher ups. (Just a plot hook to use at your discretion if you think it’s interesting)

Schoolwork: In addition to the internship and the secret hero life, Jackson is still a high school student. He takes some of his classes online and is pretty good at sneaking out of the rest, so he can usually get to any events his team needs to do. However, if his grades get too low that means the school and his parents crack down an him.

When time passes, roll + your Mundane to see how you’re managing your obligations. On a hit, things are going pretty well—you have an opportunity or advantage thanks to one of your obligations. On a 7-9, you’ve lapsed on one obligation, your choice. On a miss, you haven’t given your normal life anywhere near the attention it deserves; the GM chooses two obligations that are going to bite you in the butt.

Backstory:
    When did you first put on the mask? Why? I was being dragged off to another one of those fundraisers so mom could look good for the press, when some girl my age in way too much leather started attacking the place. She took out the security with some sort of lightning powers and started ranting about how city council was trying to persecute the people saving this city. She had a point, but she also tried to take my brother Jonas hostage and nobody messes with my bro. I had powers too, so I tried to fight her before she seriously hurt anyone.

The actual mask was from my internship, we were working with some chemical stuff so we all needed safety masks. I put it on because I needed my powers to fight her and the middle of a anti-meta fundraiser probably isn’t the best place to publicly use my powers. It was already yellow which fit what I was going for, so I painted it and did the rest of my costume a few days later.

Why do you keep a secret identity?
    It’s pretty simple really, you see this?
    Jackson holds up a news article, with his mother on the cover holding a sign that says ‘think of the children’ and standing in front of the Guardians headquarters.
    That’s Mindy Hale, my mom. She just gave a speech on the news about how the junior teams are just the Guardians trying to indoctrinate the youth into putting their lives in danger. She told me that once she’s mayor all mutants with dangerous powers will be kept out of certain areas of the city. So the fact that I am a quote-unquote ‘mutant’ currently joining the Young Guardians wouldn’t really go over well.

Who, outside of the team, knows about your dual identity?
    My dad, Austin Nguyen. He’s the guy who runs Nguyen Apiary and I think he’s where he got his powers from. I know I’m not supposed to talk to him, but when I first got my powers I contacted him. I figured that since he ran a giant bee farm outside the city, he would know how to help with my powers. He was really supportive and taught me how to use my powers. I can’t tell anyone about that though, since if my mom finds our that I’m talking to him the terms of the divorce are breached and there’s another lawsuit.

Who thinks the worst of your masked identity? Resistor, the lightning-powers girl who I fought when I first became a hero. I’m not sure if she’s a villain or an anti-hero, she fights crime and has stopped several attacks by anti-meta extremists but also goes for nonviolent anti-meta events. She’s pretty popular with people my age, and if it weren’t for the attacking people I think I we could actually be friends. I don’t think that’s gonna happen though, she also publicly said I was ‘a traitor to my people’ and I think she wants to be my nemesis or something.

Why do you care about the team?
    Like, these are my people! I mean an alien celebrity, the kid of another vaguely-sinister person trying to become mayor, and a whole bunch of other people I would be grounded for months for hanging out with. These guys know I have powers, they know who I am and they’re ok with it. Well technically they don’t know who I am, but they can know the part of me that I have to hide the rest of the time.
    Last edited by Quagmire; 2019-09-20 at 10:25 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Here is my character sheet, although it’s still subject to revision. I mostly stuck to the power options in the playbook, but if it still isn’t at Janus power levels I’ll see what I can add. I also added in that his father, who he isn’t technically allowed to visit but still does, has some of the same powers but used them to start a beekeeping business outside the city. So if we ever do need more bees than plausibly could be in a city there is now also a way to get them.

I’ll start working on my characters thoughts on everyone else’s, and maybe touch up the backstory a bit.

@ramsus since mayoral politics play into both our backstories, I'd like to come up with a bit more detail on it. I’ve been writing my backstory with a standard political scenario but it would be interesting to integrate more what you’re doing. Like if the crown increases longevity, does that affect term limits at all? And happens when someone is elected mayor but isn’t a heir to the crown or worthy of it?

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

I'll leave it up to Daedalus if the Golden Halcyon Crown is something passed from mayor to mayor or is just (currently) Walnut's personal possession. And so the term limits thing goes to him as well.
    But I'd say most people don't know the details of the Halcyon Crown and the fakes don't obey the same worthiness requirements. They might have their own (like "have been elected Mayor" or such) that are likely to be less strict or they might have no requirements at all.
    Also possible the longevity increase isn't percentile but static and that that particular boon isn't as life changing to humans as it might be to other creatures. (Like +20 years of lifespan is nice for humans but for a squirrel that's more than twice their natural lifespan.)

Edit: I feel like I might need to clear up a misunderstanding. Nonpareil isn't trying to run for mayor. Though if you want to say that's a misunderstanding on your character's part and she did run (and somehow almost win) one time that's fine.
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2019-09-20 at 05:40 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by seatyger View Post
    Oops. That's what I get for skimming the read.

Let's go with the fact that Tommy can't generate that heat field and, thus, can't fly just yet. He has some basics down, like that he can heat an object in close proximity to him (like a rock or a brick...which actually ties into an ancient mining technique), but the greater heat radiation power and its flight derivative are, so far, beyond him.

And, unless he gets a lift, he has to rely on the Harley his grandfather rode when he was Collier. You know, "Old School." ;)

Yeah, the answer hit me as I was adding the section. I'll set it aside 'til we get to that part.

1. Yes, he's religious. His Hungarian ancestors were Calvinists, but the family started attending Methodist services after emigrating. They attend regularly.

2. For now, he does. He's only 16, and not emancipated, so, technically, he has to stay there. Like any teenager, he wants to get out of the house as soon as he can...doubly so, since he has to operate out of his dad's secret lair. Man, he needs his own lair...
    All right, excellent. Everything looks good to me now, so I'd say I can call that a finished character submission. Nicely done.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbus View Post
    Hey sorry a bit busy today but will have those questions answered tonight after my test as well as some in character opinions. Those opinions will be quite short though due to the amount of applicants. I don't envy you Daedalus
    Why not? Being spoiled for choice is not a bad thing! I'd much rather have too many good options than too few. No rush on polishing things up. There's no actual benefit to having your character finished early, as long as it's done before the deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldest View Post
    Ella Lal, aka Titania
    Cool. Two questions to help fill in the gaps for me.
    1: How did Titania meet Professor Milton? Was he one of her teachers?
    2: Does Ella still live with her parents, or is she on her own now?

The Janus

Hero name: Arthropod
    Look: man, mixed race, formal clothing, concealing costume, helmet
    You should probably get the sheet as a whole collected in a single spoiler, to help keep the thread condensed. Call me a neat freak, but I like to keep sheets nice and organized.

With the ability to control any sort of insects, and some pheromone-based shenanigans, Arthropod's abilities are probably up to snuff. There's a lot you can do with that if you're feeling sneaky. I'd also appreciate a brief description, of his hero costume if nothing else. What colours does he wear, what does his helmet look like. A sentence or two to help me picture what he looks like.
    Three other questions:
    1: How old is Jonas? What's one thing he likes?

2: Does Jackson's mom currently hold a position in the city government? What did she do before she got into politics, if anything?

3: How long has it been since the first time Jackson put on the mask?

I think that about covers it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    I'll leave it up to Daedalus if the Golden Halcyon Crown is something passed from mayor to mayor or is just (currently) Walnut's personal possession. And so the term limits thing goes to him as well.
    But I'd say most people don't know the details of the Halcyon Crown and the fakes don't obey the same worthiness requirements. They might have their own (like "have been elected Mayor" or such) that are likely to be less strict or they might have no requirements at all.
    Also possible the longevity increase isn't percentile but static and that that particular boon isn't as life changing to humans as it might be to other creatures. (Like +20 years of lifespan is nice for humans but for a squirrel that's more than twice their natural lifespan.)

Edit: I feel like I might need to clear up a misunderstanding. Nonpareil isn't trying to run for mayor. Though if you want to say that's a misunderstanding on your character's part and she did run (and somehow almost win) one time that's fine.
    I think I'll stay mum on the exact nature of the Halcyon Crown(s) for now. That's one of the details I'm fiddling with at the moment, and I expect it will be important later. In terms of details relevant here, anybody lawfully elected to the position of Mayor would be able to reap the crown's benefits, and failing to use the crown following an election is officially considered proof of voting fraud and cause to nullify the results of the vote. Nobody is allowed more than ten years as Mayor of Halcyon; no official reason has ever been given for this.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

Cool. Two questions to help fill in the gaps for me.
    1: How did Titania meet Professor Milton? Was he one of her teachers?
    2: Does Ella still live with her parents, or is she on her own now?
    I'm going to say that Professor Milton is not one of her teachers. He's at the college she's going to (she's a freshman and 17, she's there early, it's a source of stress and discomfort for everyone involved), but he's probably teaching the more advanced classes and she started out cruising through the basic ones. To the point where he was probably dean of the science department, and one of her actual teachers, who she had ticked off, and her clashed enough to draw his attention. Young protege, instant mentor, etc. Up to you, by the way, if he did the ascension intentionally and was manipulating her, or is a tragic figure.

I think she's staying in an apartment near campus, instead of with her family in the suburbs, but she is basically home on the weekends and if she wants a home cooked meal or laundry. I intentionally went for a relatively supportive, happy family because that is far from my norm, and I wanted to mix it up. Not to say they are perfect, far from it, but the intent is they want the best for her and she's generally happy with them, even if she can get frustrated with them.
    Last edited by Eldest; 2019-09-21 at 12:04 AM.
    LGBTA+itP

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

@DaedalusMkV I added a description and fixed up the character sheet. Does it look better to you? And here are the answers to some of the questions.

1. Jonas is just turning 13, so Jackson still sees Jonas as his kid brother. Jonas is really into basketball but also really likes art. He is always drawing people and things he sees on any scrap of paper he can find. He is shy and still working up the nerve to try out for his school basketball team.

2. Mindy Hale has been on the Halcyon city council for years, and has a bit of a reputation for corruption. Jackson calls the car he drives to school the campaign finance violation on wheels for that reason, and he still isn’t sure how Mindy keeps getting re-elected. I’m thinking that her anti-metahuman mayoral campaign is a very fringe movement but it is gaining traction scarily fast, if that fits how you see it. Jackson doesn’t know it, but before she went into politics Mindy worked at a small bakery that her mother had started. The bakery was destroyed, and his grandmother died, as collateral damage in a particularly bad superhero-villain battle.

3. It hasn’t been that long, the attack on his mother’s fundraiser happened a month or two ago. Jackson feels that he is getting the hang of the hero business though, having dealt with a lot of street level crimes and even tussling with Resistor one or two times.

@Ramsus I didn’t think that Nonpareil was running for mayor, she seems like more of a ‘swoop in through a skylight and grab the crown while some cyborg octopi minions distract the heroes’ type of person. I was just trying to say that the election and her schemes were part of the same ‘Halcyon crown’ plot thread. I do like the idea that Jackson thinks that though. Maybe Nonpareil ran for mayor a few years ago as one of her attempts to gain the crown, and that was the same year that Mindy Hale first tried to run for mayor. The “super-whatever meddling turned out last election into a farce” is what helped the anti-mutant political movement get popular, even though Nonpareil is more of a magic/tech user than someone with innate superpowers. How does that sound to you? I also like the general idea of a city that has a mostly normal city government but also the mayor wears a magic crown from the founders of the city.

I’m still working on the character reactions for everyone, not sure when they’ll be done.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Mostly normal aside from the fact that the best leader in decades is a squirrel.

I also like the realistic touch that a fringe/prejudice based group would hold up a "wait that doesn't actually make sense" example like Nonpareil as their excuse. Since yeah, she's not a metahuman at all.
    And actually the scary possibility that their opponents might point out is that if they somehow actually did ban metahumans, that would basically be handing the city over to Nonpareil (and people like her, but probably mainly her on top).
    Who as it happens has her own reasons not to want metahumans being banned.
    Basically I like this sort of "this situation is a mess of people fighting against their own best interest for convoluted reasons".

18. - Top - End - #48
    Barbarian in the Playground

I believe Maria is done (or, at least, the parts that don't require others). Ready to answer any further questions!
    And the far stars cried, and the planets yearned;
    But no man may know, for she'll ne'er return.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Hey answering the questions then I'll tidy up the character sheets and add these in.

1: What's your ship look like? How many people can fit inside it? Does it have any weapons? Do you live inside it?
    Its a small sleak ship similar looking to
    Spoiler: Appearance
    Show

around 5 people can fit inside.
    It does not have weapons but part of the floor is see through allowing the sun beams of Foreigners ability fire through it.
    While Foreigner can sleep inside it that would be uncomfortable instead he lives in an apartment block paid courtesy of the royal family. Its a nice apartment.

2: Have any humans tried to help in your quest to find the missing princess?
    While some would like to help me with it none have found any clue about her so far. I'm trying to get organizations on it though.
    Spoiler: Princess
    Show
    I will also say the intention for her so far is she is not being held against her will or anything like that. She is doing it by choice but I'll leave the rest up to you if you want.
    Last edited by Jumbus; 2019-09-21 at 11:42 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Apologies to those waiting for feedback. I think I've come down with a bit of a cold, and I pretty much just fell asleep last night when I got home instead of writing a post like I had planned, then overslept this morning. I'll get back to everyone when I get home from work this evening.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Oh, hope you feel better soon. Falling asleep with a cold and then oversleeping sounds very relatable.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Awful View Post
    I believe Maria is done (or, at least, the parts that don't require others). Ready to answer any further questions!
    Spoiler: Magical Munitions Maiden Maria (M4)
    Show

Okay, yeah, fairly standard Magical Girl stuff...

*Blinks*

... You know, I never expected somebody's backstory to destroy Tokyo. Normally that happens on-screen to show off how dangerous the threat is. The idea that giant monsters just keep showing up to destroy Tokyo (and only Tokyo) and nobody knows why is... Somehow fitting for the world this is shaping up to be. I appreciate the way you've themed the abilities, and I think it's a pretty nifty approach to the Protégé. I do have a couple of questions, for sure.

1: Why are the Demalions not dealt with by other Superheroes? Why are only the Magical Girls capable of dealing with them? Does the rest of the world recognize their threat?
    2: What do Demalions look like (if only in general terms)? What sort of powers can they employ?
    3: How long does it take for a Magical Girl to lose her powers? Do they fade over time or disappear all at once? Is there anything that accelerates, or slows down, the process?
    4: Can boys become Magical Girls? If not, is there a male equivalent? If so, do they turn into girls when they transform?

... Okay, yeah, question 4 is mostly me having fun. So sue me if I've always found the idea amusing when it comes to the Magical Girl genre. There's a lot of space to work with in this concept, for sure, which is probably why my questions here are a bit more involved than the ones I've had for most applicants.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldest View Post
    I'm going to say that Professor Milton is not one of her teachers. He's at the college she's going to (she's a freshman and 17, she's there early, it's a source of stress and discomfort for everyone involved), but he's probably teaching the more advanced classes and she started out cruising through the basic ones. To the point where he was probably dean of the science department, and one of her actual teachers, who she had ticked off, and her clashed enough to draw his attention. Young protege, instant mentor, etc. Up to you, by the way, if he did the ascension intentionally and was manipulating her, or is a tragic figure.

I think she's staying in an apartment near campus, instead of with her family in the suburbs, but she is basically home on the weekends and if she wants a home cooked meal or laundry. I intentionally went for a relatively supportive, happy family because that is far from my norm, and I wanted to mix it up. Not to say they are perfect, far from it, but the intent is they want the best for her and she's generally happy with them, even if she can get frustrated with them.
    Got it. Mysterious but trusted mentor with uncertain but noble-seeming motives. I think that pretty much wraps things up for Titania, then. I'll mark her complete in my table.

@DaedalusMkV I added a description and fixed up the character sheet. Does it look better to you? And here are the answers to some of the questions.

1. Jonas is just turning 13, so Jackson still sees Jonas as his kid brother. Jonas is really into basketball but also really likes art. He is always drawing people and things he sees on any scrap of paper he can find. He is shy and still working up the nerve to try out for his school basketball team.

2. Mindy Hale has been on the Halcyon city council for years, and has a bit of a reputation for corruption. Jackson calls the car he drives to school the campaign finance violation on wheels for that reason, and he still isn’t sure how Mindy keeps getting re-elected. I’m thinking that her anti-metahuman mayoral campaign is a very fringe movement but it is gaining traction scarily fast, if that fits how you see it. Jackson doesn’t know it, but before she went into politics Mindy worked at a small bakery that her mother had started. The bakery was destroyed, and his grandmother died, as collateral damage in a particularly bad superhero-villain battle.

3. It hasn’t been that long, the attack on his mother’s fundraiser happened a month or two ago. Jackson feels that he is getting the hang of the hero business though, having dealt with a lot of street level crimes and even tussling with Resistor one or two times.
    Looks great now, thank you! I appreciate the extra effort. That answers my questions nicely, I'd say that Arthropod is finished as well.

Hey answering the questions then I'll tidy up the character sheets and add these in.

1: What's your ship look like? How many people can fit inside it? Does it have any weapons? Do you live inside it?
    Its a small sleak ship similar looking to
    Spoiler: Appearance
    Show

around 5 people can fit inside.
    It does not have weapons but part of the floor is see through allowing the sun beams of Foreigners ability fire through it.
    While Foreigner can sleep inside it that would be uncomfortable instead he lives in an apartment block paid courtesy of the royal family. Its a nice apartment.

2: Have any humans tried to help in your quest to find the missing princess?
    While some would like to help me with it none have found any clue about her so far. I'm trying to get organizations on it though.
    Spoiler: Princess
    Show
    I will also say the intention for her so far is she is not being held against her will or anything like that. She is doing it by choice but I'll leave the rest up to you if you want.
    Excellent. I'll need to figure out some sort of a plot hook with the princess, then. And thank you for cleaning up the sheet a bit. One last question, just for my own benefit.

-What kinds of clothing does Foreigner like to wear? Suits? Spandex and sparkles? Fancy fashion? Just trying to get a mental image of what he looks like (aside from twenty-years-ago Brad Pitt with glowing eyes).

Oh, hope you feel better soon. Falling asleep with a cold and then oversleeping sounds very relatable.
    Thanks for the concern. I don't feel too bad now, if I'm honest. Might have just been because I had a long day yesterday.

Anyways, I'd just like to say to everyone that we've had a whole bunch of great submissions. I hope you guys are as excited as I am.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Barbarian in the Playground

Okay, yeah, fairly standard Magical Girl stuff...

*Blinks*

... You know, I never expected somebody's backstory to destroy Tokyo. Normally that happens on-screen to show off how dangerous the threat is. The idea that giant monsters just keep showing up to destroy Tokyo (and only Tokyo) and nobody knows why is... Somehow fitting for the world this is shaping up to be. I appreciate the way you've themed the abilities, and I think it's a pretty nifty approach to the Protégé. I do have a couple of questions, for sure.

1: Why are the Demalions not dealt with by other Superheroes? Why are only the Magical Girls capable of dealing with them? Does the rest of the world recognize their threat?
    2: What do Demalions look like (if only in general terms)? What sort of powers can they employ?
    3: How long does it take for a Magical Girl to lose her powers? Do they fade over time or disappear all at once? Is there anything that accelerates, or slows down, the process?
    4: Can boys become Magical Girls? If not, is there a male equivalent? If so, do they turn into girls when they transform?

... Okay, yeah, question 4 is mostly me having fun. So sue me if I've always found the idea amusing when it comes to the Magical Girl genre. There's a lot of space to work with in this concept, for sure, which is probably why my questions here are a bit more involved than the ones I've had for most applicants.
    1 - the Demalions are both a subtle threat and hard to deal with. They're entirely spiritual, and can't be slain except with something that's also spiritual - such as the embodied soul-weapons of a magical girl. A superhero with the strength to benchpress the Empire State building still would just pass through a Demalion without causing harm. So while magical girls are the main ones to deal with them, some mages and spiritual creatures are also capable of destroying them when it comes to it.
    The subtle part comes in that Demalions spawn from negative emotions and feelings, meaning they mostly encounter the more isolated of society first. The longer they live and the more people they consume, the stronger and smarter they get, meaning they get better at picking off the vulnerable and avoiding the attention of magical girls.
    Demalions can spawn en masse after disasters from the huge amount of negative feelings, sadness and terror, so they're both seen as more related to disasters and their casualties tend to get mixed in with those of the disaster, so people aren't aware of them as they should be. They aren't as eye catching on the news as Cryo-Saur's latest exploits, at least...

2 - Demalions look like gaunt, tattered figures, reflecting the emotion that spawned them - and their powers do, too. Ones born from anger are jagged, sharp things, capable of cutting and ripping things with a touch, both physically and spiritually. Ones born from grief poison and sicken everything around them, leeching away colour and Life. And so on.
    Demalions affect the world around them. Their very presence causes negative emotions in humans, which they feed upon passively during the day and actively when they hunt, once every few nights.

3 - Magical girls don't age while they're contracted with the Blossom Heart. They have to fight against Demalions - if they go without fighting them for over a year, they tend to lose their powers very quickly. Power loss is gradual, happening over a couple of decades if the magical girl fights lots of Demalions.
    Maria isn't sure what happens once your powers are gone entirely, presumably one becomes entirely human and ages normally. She hasn't met any retired magical girls, and Sophia hasn't talked about it.

4 - while boys can become magical girls... They do indeed become female while transformed, as well as being far less common than their female counterparts. There doesn't seem to be a full male equivalent, and no one has ever quite found out why that's so, exactly.
    And the far stars cried, and the planets yearned;
    But no man may know, for she'll ne'er return.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

-What kinds of clothing does Foreigner like to wear? Suits? Spandex and sparkles? Fancy fashion? Just trying to get a mental image of what he looks like (aside from twenty-years-ago Brad Pitt with glowing eyes).
    We would probably wear something 80s/90s to reflect the music he watches while trying to look fashionable. This example probably does it best but with much brighter colours.
    Spoiler: Clothing
    Show

But yeah I like the idea of Brad Pitt with glowing eyes certainly go with that.

Also to answer the thing about male equivalent magic girls. They exist and Foreigner certainly is one. (A joke of course just like how Foreigner really parallels that style.)
    Last edited by Jumbus; 2019-09-23 at 06:44 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

And Facet is a girl who is also magical.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Arthropod grumbles about how he is somehow the boring normal one on the team, while surrounded by magical girls, insanely hot magical guys (you’re not into this alien rock star, it’s just your pheromone-detection-powers acting up, keep telling yourself that), time-traveling super-soldiers, and size-changing super-geniuses.

Probably makes some quip to Collier or Ankylo-Don about how classic superhero origins must be going out of fashion.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Facet immediately puts her hand right on Anthropod's face to shove him aside to declare Anklyo-don is the best.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Whelp, since the Nova is still just in a proposed state, I'm gonna slip mine in here!

Karma -- The Nova

29. - Top - End - #59
    Bugbear in the Playground

Anklyo Don watches Facet shove Anthropod to the side, and helps the helmeted young hero to his feet. "But Facet, you know how much I like my PB & Honey sammiches," his voice is a low rumble, echoing through his massive chest, it would be intimidating to those that didn't know the gentle giant, "And Anthro can get me the BEST honey." A broad smile that is incongruous with his, frankly, terrifying saurial jawline spreads across his face.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

1 - the Demalions are both a subtle threat and hard to deal with. They're entirely spiritual, and can't be slain except with something that's also spiritual - such as the embodied soul-weapons of a magical girl. A superhero with the strength to benchpress the Empire State building still would just pass through a Demalion without causing harm. So while magical girls are the main ones to deal with them, some mages and spiritual creatures are also capable of destroying them when it comes to it.
    The subtle part comes in that Demalions spawn from negative emotions and feelings, meaning they mostly encounter the more isolated of society first. The longer they live and the more people they consume, the stronger and smarter they get, meaning they get better at picking off the vulnerable and avoiding the attention of magical girls.
    Demalions can spawn en masse after disasters from the huge amount of negative feelings, sadness and terror, so they're both seen as more related to disasters and their casualties tend to get mixed in with those of the disaster, so people aren't aware of them as they should be. They aren't as eye catching on the news as Cryo-Saur's latest exploits, at least...

2 - Demalions look like gaunt, tattered figures, reflecting the emotion that spawned them - and their powers do, too. Ones born from anger are jagged, sharp things, capable of cutting and ripping things with a touch, both physically and spiritually. Ones born from grief poison and sicken everything around them, leeching away colour and Life. And so on.
    Demalions affect the world around them. Their very presence causes negative emotions in humans, which they feed upon passively during the day and actively when they hunt, once every few nights.

3 - Magical girls don't age while they're contracted with the Blossom Heart. They have to fight against Demalions - if they go without fighting them for over a year, they tend to lose their powers very quickly. Power loss is gradual, happening over a couple of decades if the magical girl fights lots of Demalions.
    Maria isn't sure what happens once your powers are gone entirely, presumably one becomes entirely human and ages normally. She hasn't met any retired magical girls, and Sophia hasn't talked about it.

4 - while boys can become magical girls... They do indeed become female while transformed, as well as being far less common than their female counterparts. There doesn't seem to be a full male equivalent, and no one has ever quite found out why that's so, exactly.
    Hmm. Okay, definitely interesting. I think I've got a pretty good grasp of what you're going for now, so I think I can pretty much call that ready to go. There are obviously still some gaps left in the way it all works, but they feel more like mysteries than things for you to tell me, and that makes them more my job to answer as the GM. I'll mark your submission complete.

We would probably wear something 80s/90s to reflect the music he watches while trying to look fashionable. This example probably does it best but with much brighter colours.
    Spoiler: Clothing
    Show

But yeah I like the idea of Brad Pitt with glowing eyes certainly go with that.

Also to answer the thing about male equivalent magic girls. They exist and Foreigner certainly is one. (A joke of course just like how Foreigner really parallels that style.)
    Is that a Jo... Nope, no, not doing it.

Okay, so he looks like a cross between an 80s Shounen anime protagonist and a boy band member. Fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jak View Post
    Whelp, since the Nova is still just in a proposed state, I'm gonna slip mine in here!

Karma -- The Nova
    I think that URL exploded my brain a little bit. I had no idea whatsoever you could even have that many characters in one link. Turns out it could be nearly twice that long. You learn something new every day.

... Aaanyways, let's talk about the character. If I'm honest, I don't get a good sense of who Karma is from that sheet. She's clearly driven to control (and use) her Power, but it's not entirely clear why. Her 'first time hurting someone' is fairly minor and controlled, and as far as I can see there's no sense that it's an ongoing struggle for her. While I'm a firm believer that a character's background doesn't need to be long to be good, as things stand Karma is a bit too shallow for me to really get interested. I'd suggest trying to add a bit more depth to the Playbook answers first and foremost: Why was her first awakening to her power traumatic enough to make her afraid of harming others (a key element of the Nova)? Did she nearly die as a result of blowing up that mirror? Did somebody else overreact? Has she had more close calls since then, with either herself or someone else in danger? What about her powers makes them so difficult to get a handle on? Why does she need somebody else's help to try to get a handle on it in even the most basic way? What specific help does that person provide?

Try to find a hook, something to get me interested, and a flaw, something she has failed at in the past and needs to overcome. Perhaps it's something to do with the origin of her powers? Or that there's some inherent aspect to them that causes her problems?