The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGirl

Default [5e][Pathfinder] Oustomia

As a quick note, I decided not to post our Pathfinder Banner because it seems silly to post two banners. PF is our first game and our largest, but we're also trying to grow 5e, as it is a fantastic system.

Hello there! I'm Vic, the creator and owner of Oustomia, one of the largest Living Worlds(that I know of!) on the internet! I'm going to go ahead and include the most relevant links in the top, because I know some people won't feel like reading:

Our main website.
    Our Discord
    Our Wiki

And with that, I'll post the information about the game!

Oustomia is what you would call a 'Living World'; while a normal game would effectively go on 'pause' while it's players and GM are not attending to it, a Living World has a group of GMs who help bring it to life, and other players are always active in the world, whether it be through sessions, or roleplay. Oustomia is one such world. It can be likened to games such as World of Warcraft, or EVE Online. While you may not be online, other players will be, and no doubt working towards their own goals.

Oustomia is, proudly, one of the oldest Living Worlds on Roll20. It officially started recruitment on November 11th, 2015, and we've gone through many players over the years - friends come and go, but we have a solid core group of players who remain over the years, and do their best to help integrate players into the game when they join. Originally, Oustomia was a normal campaign of 10 people for roughly 3 years, before it became a Living World, and gave way to a plethora of old heroes and characters who are now an integral part of the lore, although they are no longer actively played, and are now NPCs.

Once upon a time, Oustomia was just a small group of people with big ideas, one GM, awful maps, no plugins, and using Roll20 for voice chat. Now we have a rich, extensive history, a plethora of fun and fair homebrew, an active and thriving Discord, and an incredibly creative community of people with big ideas and a love of roleplay and tabletop gaming. If this sounds like a parent talking about their child, you're right - As the owner of Oustomia, I'm incredibly proud, and humbled, by the people in my game, because without them - the players - Oustomia would never have become the thing it is today, and it gives me such an incredible feeling knowing that people love the game for what it is.

Oustomia allows a large number of homebrew and systems, in particular, we allow gestalt and templates, which create a somewhat high-powered game. That being said, while we do allow optimization, if a character is able to ruin the fun for other players, we tend to take a hard stance against it. We have a unique system called 'Roleplay Points', which you earn through sessions and roleplay that allows you to purchase a large number of things, such as Gestalt and Templates, to make your character into the best concept you can come up with.

Without further ado, I'll give you some bullet points to see if you're interested in the game:

What you'll get if you join this Living World
    • A living, well-made open world ripe with lore, NPCs, history, and various cultures and characters placed in a way that allows you to make virtually any character concept you can think of.
    • A sandbox for you to roleplay in and enjoy yourself; a place to create your own story, by yourself, or with other's.
    • A land of infinite possibilities! Do you want to make your own city, conquer a Castle, create your own Planar Library? We have had players go from mere level 1s, to becoming Greater Deities over the course of years. You can do the same, as long as you don't mind putting the effort in to do so!
    • Friendship! Meet friends, enjoy yourself, roleplay, and kill some monsters!
    • Unique, interesting homebrews designed to make the world a more interesting and enjoyable experience, without taking away the fun of other's.
    • An open-minded team of Staff who are willing to listen to suggestions, ideas, and the desires of the playerbase. We're a democracy, damnit!
    • A place where even un-optimized characters can find fun and enjoyment.
    • A high powered game where, even if you do play a lower power character, you'll still be able to enjoy yourself.
    • A way to earn templates(such as Lich or Vampire!) through roleplay and sessions!

You won't want to play if you don't enjoy the following
    • You can't use voice: If you can't listen in to what the GM says, you may not enjoy our game. While we definitely allow our players to do text only, you do need to be able to listen to the GM speak, except for a select few of our text-only GMs.
    • Homebrews. Not everything will be the same as you typically experience in a normal game of Pathfinder. There are new classes, variations of monsters, and many non-core races here and there.
    • Fun! We put an emphasis on enjoying yourselves to the best of your ability, and that may from time to time, include some OOC banter. Just as long as you respect other's!
    • Mature themes; the world is a dark place. Orcs take prisoners and force them into blood sports, snakemen sacrifice living creatures, and dwarves may or may not violently curse. These themes, and more, are common. We don't sugarcoat the world, but we also don't take it to excessive lengths. Likewise, we expect our players to keep their more mature interactions in private.
    • A bit of vulgarity is common among our playerbase, and while we certainly don't condone racism or sexism, we do curse frequently, joke, and banter with one another on a regular basis. We accept people from all walks of life, but we like our players to be able to handle some jokes now and then!
    • Powergaming: If you're a powergaming type, you won't enjoy yourself here. We remove individuals who heavily optimize to make themselves better than everyone else fairly quickly. If your character can single-handedly solo most encounters, we will probably be giving you a stern talking to.
    • Growing your power; An integral part of Oustomia, you'll start from a low level and have to work your way up. You will likely only be the main character of your own story!

If these things interest you, and the second list didn't scare you off, give us a try, check us out!

Our main website.
    Our Discord
    Our Wiki

We have a great love of new players and welcome each one eagerly. Please don't hesitate to join our Discord and feel things out, as we happily answer any and all questions asked!

Thank for reading, hope to see y'all there!
    Last edited by VictoriousLoL; 2019-09-18 at 04:15 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGirl

Default Re: [5e][Pathfinder] Oustomia

Reposted the listing to properly indicate we are now doing 5e and Pathfinder(separate games, don't worry - they will never mix.), as there was no way to edit the Display title in the old thread.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

I'll take a look at it, I however Am a text only player but you also mentioned text based GMs so I guess I'm not hopeless x.x

4. - Top - End - #4

Chimera

Do you do a fixed starting level or is there a flexible starting mechanic? Especially for 5e, rare is the time when I like playing at low levels. I get crit a lot.
    Do you allow Spheres of Power content?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Aleister VII View Post
    I'll take a look at it, I however Am a text only player but you also mentioned text based GMs so I guess I'm not hopeless x.x
    Generally we're a text game, but often GMs use voice to narrate / say what's happening to speed things along - otherwise games tend to take FOREVER.

Quote Originally Posted by MinotaurWarblad View Post
    Do you do a fixed starting level or is there a flexible starting mechanic? Especially for 5e, rare is the time when I like playing at low levels. I get crit a lot.
    Do you allow Spheres of Power content?
    We have a Roleplay Points system based around how much you roleplay which lets you buy starting levels, and they're rather cheap, but the option isn't available for 5e presently. Oustomia is almost 4 years old in November, and 5e started a monthish ago, so we're trying to take it slow and trying to keep players within a decent level range before we start allowing people to buy levels for it.

We do allow Spheres content for Pathfinder.

6. - Top - End - #6

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by VictoriousLoL View Post
    We do allow Spheres content for Pathfinder.
    Alright, you got me hook, line, and sinker. I'll join up in a couple days if possible.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGirl

Time for a Bump! Sessions are picking up again as our Staff get adjusted to college schedules.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Are you tolerant of absolute noobs that don't even really know how PbP games are supposed to work? I'm asking for a friend. Who is me.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGirl

Quote Originally Posted by UselessBlob View Post
    Are you tolerant of absolute noobs that don't even really know how PbP games are supposed to work? I'm asking for a friend. Who is me.
    We are, yeah! We're happy to answer plenty of questions as well, and we have a rank of individuals called Ambassadors who are generally more helpful than the norm.