The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Godsend: A Powered by the Apocalypse Game for the Divine

Before the Divine Ages there were only monsters and The Void. The strongest of the former were known as the Elemental Titans, beasts of immense power and scale that warred with their brethren unending. The Titans were more than Gods, more than mere matter and Faith and their Oathes were the whispers of strange tongues unknown and their wills both inscrutable and alien that even their creations could not fathom. For the Titans did create, Gods and Monsters both for their eternal war. This was the Age of Titans, before the First Divine Age, before the Mortals came. Only the Gods know how the Titans fell. Only the Gods know how The First World came to be. Only the Gods know, The First World and the Divine Realm cannot last. Only the Gods know the final words of the Titans. Their dying curse upon Creation. Your time is short, the spring of Creation has come to Autumn and soon the long Winter shall settle in.

So, with that little teaser set up. Hereís the deal.

What System will the game use? The game will use Godsend, a Powered by the Apocalypse system with some riggings in Legacy: Life Among the Ruins which is also a Powered by the Apocalypse game. Unlike most PbtA games however, Godsend is diceless.

The Pitch? Godsend is a game about the End Times, you will play as Gods and Avatars of the former as the world slowly dwindles and the Apocalypse comes calling. How those End Times come, and what comes after, will be determined in play. The game is all about exploring and expanding the world and then kicking the sandcastles over to see how the dust settles. If that appeals to you, read on.

Where will this take place? Weíre going to be posting here, on these very forums. There will be a Discord server in use because maps and other stuff will necessitate some more than Play by Post speed stuff. If the idea of being on a Discord server with people doesnít appeal to you, Iím afraid this isnít the game for you.

How long will this game run, if the end of the world is such a central focus? The corebook says four to eight sessions. Thereís no run time on sessions however so it could be a few months, it could be a year. Either way, there is a beginning, middle and end to this game and I am committed to seeing it through.

Have you run anything like this before? Yeah, plenty. I ran Lords of Creation on this very website for years. Iíve got experience in Diceless World Building God Games. This is my wheelhouse.

Ok so youíve hooked me, but I donít have the rules? I will, once you are signed up to the Discord Channel, send you the PDFs. Even if you donít get in, which weíll get to, youíll get a whole free book out of the deal just by being interested.

Ok so thatís pretty sweet, how many people are you looking for exactly? Five. No more, no less. While Iím not new to PbtA games or God Games of this nature, I am new to Godsend so itíll be a learning experience for everyone.

So, how do you want us to pitch our character? Iíll give, after all this, a short application. It wonít really cover character creation since thatís a collaborative thing in PbtA games, but itíll be enough to get a feel for who and what you want to play and we can work from there.

Anything else? Yeah, as said above this game has a set end point. Iím fine with a post a week or so but I expect people to post. If people canít post or ghost, Iíll fill their spots in with other applicants.

Quick Character Summary

Step One: Pick one of the following that appeals to you. Thereíll be room to change after I send out the book and the discord link, but just on initial brush, what tugs at you.
    Death
    Justice
    Knowledge
    Nature
    Trickery
    War

Step Two: Give a quick description of what your God looks like

Step Three: How does your God feel about the Mortals of the First World?

Step Four: Do you seek Salvation for the world? Or Ruination.

Once youíve done that, Iíll PM you a link to the Discord server.
    Last edited by Razade; 2019-09-18 at 06:00 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Godsend: A Powered by the Apocalypse Game for the Divine

Well, I've never played a PbtA game, but this sounds interesting.

> Step One: Pick one of the following that appeals to you. Thereíll be room to change after I send out the book and the discord link, but just on initial brush, what tugs at you.

I like my wizards, so it's a tug between Death and Knowledge. But I think it is the Knowledge life for me!

> Step Two: Give a quick description of what your God looks like

My god is Avek the Waymaker. He wears sturdy purple pants and a long yellow tunic girded with a purple craftsman's belt full of tools. Avek is tanned, clean-shaven, smiling face.

> Step Three: How does your God feel about the Mortals of the First World?

One day they will be great enough to rise to the divine stature and challenge the gods. And that's fine by Avek - that's what he hopes they'll do. Just as he hopes that he will some day be a greater thing than he is today.

> Step Four: Do you seek Salvation for the world? Or Ruination.

Salvation.
    My current characters:

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Step One: Pick one of the following that appeals to you. Thereíll be room to change after I send out the book and the discord link, but just on initial brush, what tugs at you.

Iíd like to play a goddess of Death.

Step Two: Give a quick description of what your God looks like.

She is depicted as a statuesque and strikingly beautiful woman with the milky eyes and peeling skin of a revenant, her once-beating heart exposed in her chest. Often she is shown lying prone, encircled by black orchids and heart-rotted pomegranates Ė the fruit decayed and dark on the inside and perfectly healthy and red on the outside.

She is saddened that so many of them fear death so. She wishes them bright and beautiful lives; the impermanence of those lives is beauty itself. She regrets that they have become so bound to the ancient, to tradition; that which lasts forever, she believes, is corrupt. She rebukes immortality, rebukes the undead and necromancy (blasphemy!), she rebukes all that is valued only for its longevity. She wants all mortals Ė not just her most ardent followers Ė to enter the Eternal Circle, to accept the gift of reincarnation and live many fleeting, blazing, gorgeous lives.

Salvation, naturally.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sweet, I've been wanting to play a Legacy style game! I have access to the Godsend rules (though I'm not sure what version this one is), and this all looks right up my alley!

Tenedor, Goddess of War

Colossal, imposing, but ephemeral and insubstantial, as if she weren't completely there. She is covered in irregularly shaped plates made of horn or shell, irregular, chitinous, and the color of blood soaked in sand. Her hair is black, long, and wild, and seems to stream off into infinity. Her face is obscured by a perfectly circular copper plate, pitted and mottled with blue patina. Strapped to her back and tucked into her belt are all the various weapons of war, but in her gauntleted hands she carries none.

They please her greatly, doing her will, and she seeks to reward them.

Her reward is Ruination.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Ooh. I've been fond of this sort of deity game for a while, but I often find myself struggling with the freeform nature of it - one with a bit more structure sounds very intriguing.

I could probably work with any of these, honestly, but I think right now I'll tentatively stake a claim to Justice.

Step Two: Give a quick description of what your God looks like.

A tall, statuesque woman carved from black stone; once immaculate, her skin is now pitted and scarred. In one hand she carries a cracked shield; in the other, a sword that glimmers with the fitful red light of dying stars.

Pity. They deserve better than this broken and unhappy world, carved from the whims of dead titans.

Step Four: Do you seek Salvation for the world, or Ruination?

The two, she claims, are one and the same. This world is imperfect by nature: it is impossible to erase all heartbreak, injustice and suffering. Pain is greater than joy: a million blissful lives are not enough to justify a single one lived in agony. Therefore, the only moral action is to seek an end to this miserable existence.

(Most other people would probably just say Ruination.)
    Last edited by The_Snark; 2019-09-18 at 02:40 PM.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Oh dang, I better hurry before all the slots are gone.

Step One:
    Trickery

Step Two:

Jakada the Weaver either appears as a young handsome man dressed in either the finest silks or in the tattered garments of a drifter, or as a colorful spider of varying size. Jakada will often appear in some combination of these forms as well (sometimes appearing as a beggar with six arms, other times with a couple extra pairs of eyes, etc)

Step Three:
    Jakada is a popular god among the common folk of the first world. He enjoys their company and will often shower good fortune on those who do not destroy the spider webs they find in their house. He also feels that they are often let defenseless in the world Man has built for themselves

In contrast, Jakada is less friendly to the most powerful of mortals (Kings, emperors, wealthy, etc.). This can range from just a stream of barbed insults (if he considers you Ďjust) to openly sabotaging entire dynasties (if he considers you cruel). Jakada has no patience for the powerful and cruel, and has been known to reduce the mightiest tyrants to starving beggars with his deception and trickery

Step Four:
    Salvation
    Last edited by dreamking; 2019-09-22 at 10:10 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: Godsend: A Powered by the Apocalypse Game for the Divi

Domum, Who always gives you a card to play

God of trickery

Appears as a perfectly solid but silvery and reflective face and pair of hands, but the rest of his body is shadowy and insubstantial. A long dark coat hangs off his shoulders with hundreds of punches and pockets tucked within, who will play the lucky dip? But be careful, a prize picked is yours to keep!

What else could be as interesting? What a miserable boring affair would endlessness be without them? Some win, some lose and they will continue to do so. But of course that does mean there must be players at the table, they think of him as random and careless, but he cares about people always having a chance to make thier gambles.

Salvation. For those quick brave and lucky at least.

(Yes, the name is House in Latin, it sort of makes sense though)
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

Oh well, it should still be fun.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hi Justice, it's me again, War. Wanna be dance partners?

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by dreamking View Post
    Oh dang, I better hurry before all the slots are gone.
    This isn't First Come, First Serve style. The nature of most not having the rules kind of makes that hard.

10. - Top - End - #10

Apologies for the double. I'll be keeping recruitment open until Sunday considering this game is fairly niche in all arenas.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Just a bump cuz it'd be nice to see some more potential submissions.

I mean, look at this art! (link is to UFO Press that makes the game)

https://ufopress.co.uk/2018/06/11/godsend-in-depth/
    Last edited by DuReign; 2019-09-20 at 05:36 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

Nature

Step Two: Green hue to his skin. Speckled with golden brown. Long hair with leaves strewn through it. Eyes that shift color.

Step Three: I used to love them, but they have spurned nature and so I have spurned them as well.

Step Four: I seek Salvation.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

Step One: Justice

Step Two: She is a calming, yet imposing figure made of white marble, wearing only a pure, white robe and plain brown sandals. She has short, black hair and permanently wears a white cloth over her eyes as a blindfold. In one hand she carries a scale and in the other a shining longsword.

Step Three: She feels neutral towards them. She does not see them as inherently human beings. As a deity that defines justice, she understands that both humans and gods are capable of committing injustices against themselves and each other.

Step Four: Although it may appear to be an impossible goal, she wants justice for all, regardless of position. Therefore, she wishes to achieve Salvation for the world.

14. - Top - End - #14

Links have been handed out. We've got two more days until applications close.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

Domain
    I am a goddess of Death at its rightful time, twin to a goddess of Rebirth.

Give a quick description of what your God looks like
    A slight, almost waifish figure in an old-fashioned white shift, with a simple shawl over her head. She wears no shoes, and her feet and hands are stained with grave dirt. All people see her face differently, but it is always charming familiar, with kind eyes; a friend you haven't seen for some time.

How does your God feel about the Mortals of the First World?
    She regards them with love and affection, but views them as impermanent expressions of eternal metaphysical existence; as the End portion of and End/Beginning cycle, she views herself as a facilitator of transformation; the nature of souls is fluid, and still-standing water collects disease. Souls must be transformed, and so mortals must die, then be reborn. All things in their time.

Do you seek Salvation for the world, or Ruination?
    All things have their time.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

I LOVE diceless God games! They're among my favourite kinds of games when you get the right group together. I hasn't heard of this particular PtbA-hack, but I'm all in.

Domain
    Volkar, the Lord of War, High General of the Armies of the Divine, Patron of Might, of Strength, of Contest.

Description
    Volkar's appearance tends to change to reflect the viewer's ideal of what a warrior is, but in all of his incarnations, he is tall and thin, with sharp, angular features. While he sometimes appears clad in armour and weaponry, most often he appears in simple robes, with no weapons, every inch of his skin below the neck covered in intricate tattoos. He is always bald. His eyes are burning points of light.

View of Mortals
    Everything in creation wages war. Everything from the beasts of the forests, the to birds in the skies, to the fish in the sea. But nothing wages war like the mortals do. No other creature competes and fights over such varied and abstract reasons. He loves them. He is obsessed with them.

Salvation or Ruination
    What matter, so long as there is war? The end of the war does not matter, the stakes do not matter, the means of war do not matter, there is only striving. There is only competing. There is only the neverending, never ceasing drive for ascendancy and victory. Should the world survive the apocalypse, it will be stronger for it. Should it end, then it was never meant to be. And whatever rises to replace it, its denizens will compete with each other as well.

Looking forward to seeing the Discord and/or the books!
    Tarot-Mage-atar by Cuthalion, may their updates be ever-compatible.

If you need me to address something as a moderator, please include a link.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by truemane View Post
    I LOVE diceless God games! They're among my favourite kinds of games when you get the right group together. I hasn't heard of this particular PtbA-hack, but I'm all in.

Domain
    Volkar, the Lord of War, High General of the Armies of the Divine, Patron of Might, of Strength, of Contest.

Description
    Volkar's appearance tends to change to reflect the viewer's ideal of what a warrior is, but in all of his incarnations, he is tall and thin, with sharp, angular features. While he sometimes appears clad in armour and weaponry, most often he appears in simple robes, with no weapons, every inch of his skin below the neck covered in intricate tattoos. He is always bald. His eyes are burning points of light.

View of Mortals
    Everything in creation wages war. Everything from the beasts of the forests, the to birds in the skies, to the fish in the sea. But nothing wages war like the mortals do. No other creature competes and fights over such varied and abstract reasons. He loves them. He is obsessed with them.

Salvation or Ruination
    What matter, so long as there is war? The end of the war does not matter, the stakes do not matter, the means of war do not matter, there is only striving. There is only competing. There is only the neverending, never ceasing drive for ascendancy and victory. Should the world survive the apocalypse, it will be stronger for it. Should it end, then it was never meant to be. And whatever rises to replace it, its denizens will compete with each other as well.

Looking forward to seeing the Discord and/or the books!
    Looks good, we have a God of War already but plenty of other Divinities are open. I'll throw you a pm to the Discord and sned you the books when I get home.

Edit: I am also closing Recruitment. We've got three people gunning for the last spot. I think that's fair enough.
    Last edited by Razade; 2019-09-22 at 08:52 AM.