New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Proper Use Of Glyph of Warding

Howdy folks,

I have a few questions about the spell Glyph of Warding. Suppose the glyph is inscribed in a scroll, and is set to explode upon seeing the glyph (going by the spell description, let's say the glyph is an inscription that says BOOM in common, and is set to trigger as soon as someone sees the word). How is the Intelligence check handled? Upon opening the scroll and seeing the letters (that form BOOM), the spell triggers. But they're allowed an INT save to recognize that it's a glyph... but by the time they see it and are able to do a save, the glyph explodes. So what's the sequence of events if they suspect nothing?
    D20 Modern Complete HTML SRD
    (Contains D20 Modern (core), Urban Arcana, d20 Future and d20 Modern Menace Manual -> In a fun format)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Re: Proper Use Of Glyph of Warding

The victim unfurls the scroll, the glyph explodes. No Investigation check necessary, as the trigger is set in a way that doesn't give the victim an opportunity for it.

If, for example, the glyph was triggered by touching the scroll, and the scroll was lying on a table unfurled, the would-be victim would have a chance to notice it before touching it.
    It's Eberron, not ebberon.
    It's not high magic, it's wide magic.
    And it's definitely not steampunk. The only time steam gets involved is when the fire and water elementals break loose.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeFightwicky View Post
    Howdy folks,

I have a few questions about the spell Glyph of Warding. Suppose the glyph is inscribed in a scroll, and is set to explode upon seeing the glyph (going by the spell description, let's say the glyph is an inscription that says BOOM in common, and is set to trigger as soon as someone sees the word). How is the Intelligence check handled? Upon opening the scroll and seeing the letters (that form BOOM), the spell triggers. But they're allowed an INT save to recognize that it's a glyph... but by the time they see it and are able to do a save, the glyph explodes. So what's the sequence of events if they suspect nothing?
    They see an empty scroll. Nothing happens.

The glyph "is nearly invisible and requires a successful Intelligence (Investigation) check against your spell save DC to be found." If you set the glyph to explode upon seeing the glyph, then it will not be triggered until, well, someone actually sees it.
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    GitP: The only place where D&D and Cantorian Set Theory combine. Also a place of madness, and small fairy cakes.

4. - Top - End - #4

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by NNescio View Post
    They see an empty scroll. Nothing happens.

The glyph "is nearly invisible and requires a successful Intelligence (Investigation) check against your spell save DC to be found." If you set the glyph to explode upon seeing the glyph, then it will not be triggered until, well, someone actually sees it.
    "Roll a 15 to die."
    "...you mean to NOT die, right?"
    "Nope."
    Proclaiming something "objectively" true or false does not excuse you from proving it so.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

If you take a piece of paper and cover the top half of each line in my post, would you be able to tell the gist of what I typed? Would you be able to tell I used Latin letters in the English language? Would you be able to guess the font I used? Now, if you had done any of those, would you have considered that really 'reading' my post? There are tricks you could conceivably do to identify something before reading it, especially if you don't want to read something because it will blow up on you.

Now it's up to the DM to interpret the exact mechanism by which the glyph works because it's weird that it can know when someone else has read it. Does the glyph really know if it has been read? Does it read the person's mind back? Do words have a measurable knowledge-transferring magic in that world? Alternately, does the glyph explode when it senses the first plausible condition that it might be read? Maybe the glyph can sense light levels? Maybe it can sense a person breathing on the page they're reading.

Working with one or both of those points can give reasons for the reader to not explode. Maybe someone rolls a scroll out just a little and sees the edge of OOTS-style purple text in time. Maybe they tie a sting to the scroll and pull it open in front of a fire that makes enough light and air current to fool the glyph into exploding early.
    Last edited by No brains; 2019-09-19 at 08:58 AM. Reason: grammar screwup
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

6. - Top - End - #6

PaladinGuy

I don't like discouraging my players from investigating stuff I put in front of them. If I start doing that session 1 will simlpy end with everyone becoming carpenters and living happily ever after. So for arbitrary reason I sometimes give them a chance to make a 'spidey sense' style insight check (I got a bad feeling about this) or an arcana check to detect a slight warp in the weave. Alternatively I foreshadow these kinds of events with something like a hum in the air that gets louder as they get closer.

....and now I now I have to make a custom feat "You can read backwards without any additional effort"

7. - Top - End - #7

RedWizardGuy

I think the intention is that the Investigation check is to find the glyph without triggering it.

I guess the check is the difference between
    1. Hey look. Words. *BOOM*
    2. Hey look, a glyph of warding in words *BOOM*

So, knowing why you blew up, I guess? Some spells are just not worded very well.
    "If I went around saying I was an emperor just because some moistened bint threw a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..." - Dennis, aged 37 - Executive Officer of the Week, Anarcho-syndicalist commune, somewhere in Britain.

8. - Top - End - #8

Yeah it seems pointless to have the trigger be something very complex, unless the point is to create a self-destructing object.

I might have to figure out another option instead of this spell!
    (Contains D20 Modern (core), Urban Arcana, d20 Future and d20 Modern Menace Manual -> In a fun format)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

if reading it was the trigger, it is all for naught if they pick up the scroll without reading it, then read it around the campfire... glyph disabled.
    Last edited by NaughtyTiger; 2019-09-20 at 08:30 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
    Just, please don't. Insisting on that technicality improves nothing.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by NaughtyTiger View Post
    if reading it was the trigger, it is all for naught if they pick up the scroll without reading it, then read it around the campfire... glyph disabled.
    And that's fine I know they'd open it right there, though. I mean, it would be a scroll on the ground in a dirt tunnel used by goblins. And none of them have ever experienced Glyph of Warding before. I'm 90% sure they'd read it on the spot!