The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now

Thread: 8 Classes

1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default 8 Classes

So a long while ago I posted on here about making a character of 8th lvl with 8 classes. Now I already have done that, a Level 1, Barbarian, Fighter, Bard, Rogue, Sorcerer, Monk, Druid, Cleric. But I never got around to using it for anything, that is until now, I'll be doing a one shot soon at 8th level and this character is perfect for it. In the sense that this is a one shot that starts at 8th lvl.

My question is if there's better things since I last asked. Or if these 8 classes are the best of 8 classes then as they are now?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: 8 Classes

It would be useful to know what the actual character build is; there's a lot more than just a list of classes to a character! (Notably race and spell selection, as a start!)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Hmm,

I'd take out Barbarian and Monk... and add in Wizard for the ritual spells and Warlock Hexblade to make Cha the driving stat - you cant cast while raging, and casting increases your damage if you take booming blade+hex. This also gives you spell slots as a 5th level caster, allowing some 3rd level spell slot upcasting (Bless for 5 people?)

That allows you to dump strength. As a point buy Drow variant Half-Elf you could be:

Str 8
    Dex 14
    Con 14
    Int 13
    Wis 13
    Cha 16

Start Fighter for Con save and HP - Noble background
    Warlock Hexblade for Cha to weapon use/Hexblade curse. Eldritch Blast and Hex for ranged damage at will - poison spray for laughs/Con save. Armor of Agathys to upcast
    Wild Magic Sorcerer for Bend Luck, Booming blade and green flame blade for weapon, Acid Splash for mini area of effect, Chill touch to shut down regeneration, Chromatic orb and ray of sickness
    Knowledge Cleric for skills/Expertise (Arcana and Religion) + light, guidance, Mending and healing word/bless
    Druid for Absorb elements and Goodberry - best use of slots to heal, not attribute dependent, and Mold Earth and Shape Water
    Rogue expertise (Stealth and Perception), +1d6 sneak attack
    Wizard for familiar and other 1st level rituals (add extras in spellbook if you can - get shield and feather fall prepared). Mage Hand, Message, Prestidigitation
    And the Bard adds inspiration, Minor Illusion and Viscous Mockery and the offensive spells - Bane, Dissonant Whispers, Hideous Laughter, Thunderwave

Drow variant Half Elf adds extra spells. Faerie Fire and Darkness once/day from Charisma. Yuan-Ti can do something similar but compromises Dex and Con for 14 Int

Druidic, Thieves cant, Common, Elvish and three other languages + thieves tools, musical instrument and gaming set

AC in breastplate and shield is 18, and you can layer shield spell on that - Both Monk and Barbarian could not better this (each sets your AC - and your stats are not that high)

So at 8th you have +6 to attack with rapier doing 2d8+2d6+6 => 22 with booming blade, hex, hexblade curse and sneak attack - crit on 19 or 20 with all those dice - add 2 more if your fighter selects dueling fighting style. :-). I don't think a raging barbarian comes close....

At range EB + Hex is 18 average damage

If you're not in the front line an upcast bless is a good buff for the whole party, or a bane from Bard spells if you want to debuff. Darkness of Faerie Fire once/day for free

Plenty of bonus actions and reactions - healing word, bardic inspiration as well as hex, then shield, feather fall and absorb elements.

Spell slots with two short rests are 8 (!) first, 3 second and 2 third level

Could change out bard/sorcerer spells to include disguise self, charm person and silent image if desired... I was looking for upcastable spells...

If you can get just an uncommon magic item instrument of the bards gives you fly, invisibility and levitate, plus assorted other spells once/day or headband of intellect boosts wizard spells and preparation slots
    Last edited by Aaron Underhand; 2019-09-18 at 06:03 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomSoul View Post
    It would be useful to know what the actual character build is; there's a lot more than just a list of classes to a character! (Notably race and spell selection, as a start!)
    Well namely it's a Varient Human. Spells would mainly be for the utility anyway in a lot of cases, the character is supposed to be a detective/bounty hunter.

5. - Top - End - #5

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Underhand View Post
    Hmm,

I'd take out Barbarian and Monk... *snip*
    Thanks for your input! I'll have to consider this, as I got help making the initial character long ago I wanted to see what better options could exist and this sounds pretty neat.

(Also srry for double post, sort of forgot that as I was answering these individually)
    Last edited by elyktsorb; 2019-09-19 at 07:30 AM.