The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re-recruiting for Strange Aeons

That is not dead which can eternal lie. And with strange aeons even death may die...

In the Immortal Principality of Ustalav lies Thrushmoor...

Welcome, brave souls. I am currently rerecruiting for the adventure path Strange Aeons.
    Looking for 3 replacements. Nothing broken, please. Currently there is a Cavalier and a Cleric. I'm not necessarily looking for a balanced party, but interesting characters, so play what you want.
    No homebrew, there are some benefits under approved requests but nothing else will be entertained.

Spoiler: Original recruitment thread
    Show

Spoiler: Big 16
    Show

1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?

Pathfinder 1st edition.

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?

Golarion

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?

3. There will be a fourth player who is currently planning either a mountless Cavalier or an Investigator.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?

Pbp on the GITP forums.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?

Level 1

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?

Per

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?

No Path of War or Psionics. I have both but haven't had a chance to delve into them.
    No homebrew.
    No 3.5 material, either.
    Edit - No Spheres of X. I don't own the books and I won't have a chance to delve into them.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?

All the standard races in the main book. Anything outside that, please ask.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?

25 point buy, max hp at all levels.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?

No, but must be able to play well with others.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?

As per the standard core rules.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?

I'll roll for passives and I'm leaning towards group initiative. Please spoiler all rolls on the IC.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.

Up to 2 traits (one must be from the adventure path) and Background skills

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?

Yes, but see the Players Guide, linked below. If you have questions, please ask.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
    A mix of everything.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?
    Paizo PF 1.0 Materials only, with exceptions as noted above. I reserve the right to ask you to change your character if its looking to break the game.

Please download and read the players guide. Ask questions and I'll answer as best I can.
    While I play IRL and a few games here on the forum, I haven't DM'd a game in a few years so I might be a bit rusty at first as I work out some kinks. I'll work to be fair if I do make a mistake, and they will happen, so please be patient.
    I'm also looking for characters with motivations, though that may be a bit murky at first, based on the nature of the adventure path. When building your character I'll way more heavily on a more rounded character who made build choices based on a roleplaying concept over a mechanical advantage. I'm also looking for players who can post every 1-2 days. Life happens so just communicate anything that comes up.

Anything I missed? Please ask.

Miscellaneous approved requests -
    Spoiler
    Show

Deadly Agility

The following feat tax removals from here - Weapon Finesse, Agile Maneuvers and Combat Expertise.

Two-weapon fighting will incorporate Improved when you reach BAB+6 and Greater when you reach BAB +11.

Hey, did my first homebrew class. Check it out.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Re-recruiting for Strange Aeons

Couple quick questions as I start picking away at a sheet.

The Lantern Staff states that it counts as a quarterstaff for all feats/abilities unless they use it as a double weapon. As it reads to me that means it would work with the Staff Magus Archetype. Just wanting to make sure it does.

Been kicking around a magus using a staff lantern in order to Illuminate the Secrets Buried in the Dark.

3. - Top - End - #3

Flumph

I am very very interested in this AP! Never got a chance to play it and I was supposed to run it irl once but that never happened, so I've really only read about the first couple sections of Book 1.
    I'm also kinda of prone to making martial characters, but I don't feel like stepping on the Cavalier's toes, so perhaps a full arcane class could do me well for once. Either that or I'll probably make up an unchained rogue. (Arcane Archer in the making perhaps?)
    I'll blow through some ideas and get back to you :)

P.S. What is your opinion on Sin Magic wizards? Always kinda wanted to make one but never have yet.
    Edit: I have a much more interesting idea as an Arcanist.
    Last edited by Mizu_Makura; 2019-09-18 at 06:32 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

I had kicked around an alchemist idea for a previous pbp that didn't get rolling, based off a nurse at the asylum

Spoiler: intro
    Show
    The late watch at Thrushmoor Asylum wasn’t as bad as most people thought — unless it was a Screaming Moonday. Tonight was shaping up to be a Screaming Moonday.

Tima Eisen flips open a ledger and runs an abnormally long fingernail down the rows of names — fewer than last night, someone must’ve died. She would’ve heard of an escape.

Cabble-weed tea for patients A1 through A4, Woundwort for the big guy with the funny hair … she read the instructions from the chief apothecary for the night’s work. Three pinches … Three! … of golden kesh for Lazlo in C1, that seems like too much. She stuffed a bit of the narcotic inside her cheek. She wasn’t about to face a Screaming Moonday sober.

She dragged the cart of ingredients from its locked closet, signing out the drugs on an unattended notebook as Fa-Tima Eisen, Senior Assistant Apothecary.

There were no junior assistant apothecaries, just her and Madam Kaeber. Tima had expected to step into the role of Chief Apothecary some years ago, but Kaeber refused to either retire or die. She’d considered leaving, but career options were limited without connections, and Tima didn’t have many of those. Rumors of her ancestry made things more difficult, of course. Though she had no obvious deformities, Ustlavis were adept at spotting things that seemed out of place — as Tima often did. Fortunately, the night patients at Thrushmoor were less picky. They thought everyone had scarlet eyes.

She’d reached the door to the main patient wing and opens it. The screams rush out like angry ghosts; it’d be a long night. She grabbed another pinch of golden kesh; Lazlow could go a bit short today.
    "My advice to you, my violent friend, is to seek out gold and sit on it."
    — The Dragon, to Grendel

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Based largely off of the following image, I would love to submit a Half Elven rogue ... I need to do a little more reading on the setting itself, but I am thinking he was a not, very nice, man prior to entering his fuge state.

Spoiler: Appearance
    Show

For Traits, I was thinking: Enduring Stoicism & Pragmatic Activater. However, I am unsure whether we can take a 3rd Trait with a Drawback because I like the idea of taking Infamous, being recognized for a crime that he has no memory of doing.

Likely going with a CN alignment, because he always, always, looked out for #1. However, that's with the addendum that his alignment will likely shift as he grows into the person he actually wants to be, with the fugue state (and close proximity to a cavalier) being the catalyst.

I'll begin to rough out a character, I am curious as to what you are looking for in our Backgrounds, as I am not really sure how to handle that given the Fugue state.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Ok, I am definitely interested here, just wanna clear up an idea for future character growth...with all the dex to attack/damage stuff you seem willing to allow, I had a thought.

I was considering a Magus who would use a one-hand weapon, like say for example a Longsword (Or another one-handed slashing weapon), but still be able to use their Dex for it via Slashing Grace...cept that only clicks for damage and not attack rolls.

Since you're approving all those pro-dex rules and even allowing the Deadly Agility third-party feat (Is that auto-applied or bought?) I was wondering if, provided I'm actually willing to sink the needed two feats into getting Slashing Grace, could it work for Attack as well as Damage?

7. - Top - End - #7

Flumph

Well I don't have enough posts on here to include a real link just yet, but this is what I'm working with so far. I can make minor changes depending on your pm.
    https //www myth-weavers com/sheet html#id=2015005

Edit: I want to flesh out the background more but I'll wait on that for a bit.
    Last edited by Mizu_Makura; 2019-09-19 at 08:39 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

Is too late to join? I'd love to play this AP!

I would like to play a witch, swashbuckler or investigator :D

9. - Top - End - #9

hexed666, I don't see an issue with those two working together.

Mizu_Makura, either works.

infomatic, without looking at the linked sheet, I don't see any issues with the concept.

Zero Prime, I didn't give the option before for a 3rd trait so, in the interest of fairness to the 2 original players, I won't offer it moving forward. As far as the background and the fugue state... that's a bit harder. Have a concept and background but be prepared for possible changes, depending on the narrative moving forward.

Vozen, Deadly Agility is approved for a feat and doesn't follow the feat tax removal. I'm not sure what you mean by attack as well as damage, since weapon finesse is essentialy free, so it would add to attack.

Aleister VII, not too late. I haven't set any dates yet, so feel free.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm definitely interested and have a concept for a Psychic with the Amnesiac archetype (which is super thematic considering the fugue state.)

I even have crunch completed.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by razorback View Post
    Zero Prime, I didn't give the option before for a 3rd trait so, in the interest of fairness to the 2 original players, I won't offer it moving forward. As far as the background and the fugue state... that's a bit harder. Have a concept and background but be prepared for possible changes, depending on the on the narrative moving forward.
    Not a sticking point then, I'll get working on the build and only broad strokes his background.

12. - Top - End - #12

Chimera

Awesome, I'll take a look at the feat taxes thing before start to making a character but for I can see these make melee dex build much easier.

Almost sure to play a dex investigator!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Posting interest! I’ll get to work on a character this evening.

Apologies if this was asked and I missed it: are the replacements starting at level 1?
    A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by rs2excelsior View Post

Apologies if this was asked and I missed it: are the replacements starting at level 1?
    Nope, you didn't miss it, I forgot to add it.
    Yes, everyone is still first level. It should be easy to insert new characters where the action has stopped.

15. - Top - End - #15

Can we view the other players in order to adjust our power level? Can we know where the players are situated in order to RP ourselves into a nice position?

I feel a Haunted Dark Tapestry or Lore Oracle would be appropriate. Maybe a witch.

e: Skimmed the player guide. I assume we are amnesiacs starting close to the party?
    Last edited by Spore; 2019-09-19 at 02:17 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Spore View Post
    Can we view the other players in order to adjust our power level? Can we know where the players are situated in order to RP ourselves into a nice position?

I feel a Haunted Dark Tapestry or Lore Oracle would be appropriate. Maybe a witch.

e: Skimmed the player guide. I assume we are amnesiacs starting close to the party?
    Party is currently a Cavalier and a Cleric. Neither is overly optmized, including the Cleric.
    To answer your last question next, yes, you're amnesiacs so I'd prefer to keep things... hidden for now.

17. - Top - End - #17

Flumph

I think I'm pretty much finished. I've only got a short background for now so let me know if you would like more and I'll continue with it (I just didn't want to go overboard considering the amnesia lol). So until I can post a link I figured I'd post my character sheet in a nice lil spoiler for ease. [Full myth-weavers link is his name in the spoiler below :)]

Spoiler: Character Sheet
    Show

Ruyle Wysacaryn, the Arcane Researcher
    Spoiler: Basic Info
    Show
    •Half-Elf(Elf/Dragon subtype) [Keen Sense, Low-Light Vision, Arcane Training, Dragon Soul]
    •True Neutral worshipper of Nethys
    •Dirty Blonde hair with a skin color reminiscent of dull brass, tall and lithely almost on the verge of being lanky.
    Ability Scores STR 8, DEX 16, CON 12, INT 18, WIS 10, CHA 14
    Hit Points: 8 Armor Class: 13 Initiative: +7 Melee: -1
    Ranged: +3 CMB/CMD: -1/12
    Fortitude/Reflex/Will:+1/3/2 •(+2 on all saves Vs Fear, Sleep, & Paralysis)
    Arcane Reservoir: 4
    Spoiler: Traits
    Show
    Formerly Mind-Swapped [Small sparatic visions of being in a different body on an alien world. Can reroll 1 failed Knowledge check. Can make untrained Knowledge checks up to DC20]
    Rich Parents [Starting gold is set to 900gp]
    Spoiler: Class Abilities
    Show
    Arcane Reservoir [Innate pool of magical energy to power Exploits. Maximum # of points equals 3+Arcanist level. Each day while preparing, the AR refills by 3+1/2 Arcanist level. As a free action, can spend 1 point to either increase my caster level or DC by +1]
    Arcane Exploits [Abilities that bend magic to an Arcanist's will. DC's for some=10+1/2 level+charisma mod. •Armored Mask: By spending 1 AR as a standard action, grants an effective illusion of armor. Gain the benefits of Mage Armor. It appears as any Light or Medium armor I wish (usually an Armored Coat). At any point during the spell as an immediate action, spend 1 more AR to also gain the effects of Shield of Faith. Caster level for both equals Arcanist level.]
    Consume Spell [As a move action, consume a spell slot of any level to gain that number of AR points. Can use this ability an amount/day equal to my Charisma modifier (2)]
    Spoiler: Combat
    Show
    Heavy Crossbow +3/1d10/19-20x2/8lbs/Ammo:10 normal bolts + 4 fire bolts
    Silver Sickle -1/1d6-1/x2/2lbs/Trip
    'armored coat' Mage Armor (1 AR) +4AC
    'light steel' Shield of Faith (+1 AR) +2AC
    Spoiler: Skills
    Show
    •Appraise +8 [4+1+3]
    •Craft (books) +8 [4+1+3]
    •Fly +3 [0 ranks]
    •Knowledge(Arcana) +8 [4+1+3]
    •Knowledge(History) +8 [4+1+3]
    •Knowledge(Planes) +8 [4+1+3]
    •All other Knowledges +4 [0 ranks]
    •Linguistics +4 [0 ranks]
    •Perception +3 [0+1+2]
    •Prof.(Arcane Researcher) +4 [0+1+3]
    •Spellcraft +8 [4+1+3]
    •Use Magic Device +2 [0 ranks]
    Spoiler: Equipment
    Show
    Currency: 8pp, 22gp
    •Wizard's Spellbook
    •Wizard's Kit
    •Traveler's Any-Tool
    •Masterwork Survival Kit
    •Scholar's Outfit
    •Masterwork Backpack
    •Heavy Crossbow (10 normal bolts, 4 fire bolts)
    •Silver Sickle
    •Potions: x2 cure light & x1 remove sickness
    Spoiler: Spellbook
    Show
    •Spells Prepared [0=4, 1=2]
    •Spells Per Day [1st-3]
    Cantrips: DC=14
    •Read Magic 1/1
    •Detect Magic 1/1
    •Mage Hand 1/1
    •Daze 1/1
    •everything else 0/1
    1st-Level: DC=15
    •Burning Hands 1/1
    •Ray of Enfeeblement 1/1
    •Abundant Ammunition 0/1
    •Comprehend Languages 0/1
    •Gravity Bow 0/1
    •Magic Aura 0/1
    •Monkey Fish 0/1
    Spoiler: Misc. Info
    Show
    •Personality: Studious and somewhat pompous even when he's not trying, he is actually a very loyal and brave soul that would follow you to the end of the earth if you became good friends with him. He loves using magic to change people's lives and wants to be able to harness enough magic so that he may start his own school for "universalists" like himself one day. He likes to have a stiff drink before bed, and is early to rise so he may study his magic and prepare for the day's events. Wether old or new, you never know what spell could spring up a new use or combination.

•Flaws: His main goal is to attain all forms of magic so he may learn to use it to his own benefit. He can be get a little over the top when it comes to finding new research to go through.

•Languages: Common, Elven, Draconic, Aklo, Sylvan, Undercommon
    Spoiler: Background
    Show
    Ruyle Wysacaryn (pronounced like Guile from Street Fighter) was born to a rough & tumble of a Man and a sinister, Draconic elf of a mother. Martin Wysacaryn is a half-elf Counterfeit Mage who fell in love with a fierce Brass Draconic Sorceress, named Allora. Together they were powerful arcane mercenaries in Absalom. They defended their home and many nobles with might and magic both, the former something Ruyle never got very good at, much to his father's chagrin. Once they discovered they were to have a son, they slowed down their work until a child was just too much handle, so once he began to display magical aptitude he had paid tuition to the Arcanamirium, giving his parents much more time to continue their lives the way they saw fit.

The Magic Academy was actually the best thing that could have happened to Ruyle. He had an extreme knack for the arcane arts and quickly became an Arcanist's apprentice. He studied many different forms of arcane magic and the way he can bend them to his will; blending magics together to create something new (his teachers often referred to him as a Universalist but he was never big on their titles. He was just a mage who wanted to explore all the magic he could). His master, an elven woman named Valyriindre, was a practictioner of the Evocation School. She helped draw out the raw beast inside of him to help harness the magic around him. He was never able to attain the more beastial powers his mother had, but his draconic blood made spellcasting a breeze for him. It felt raw and natural like this was what he was meant to do.

Through Ruyle's studies at school and a small job working in the libraries he became an avid reader of books. Namely books of the arcane variety. He wanted to learn it all, so lots of his days off were still spent in those very same libraries. He grew used to the smell of dust and must wafting in the air off the old times and scroll. Some he was even able to repair so that others could benefit from the teachings. Eventually he was deemed a up and coming Arcane Researcher by his superiors at the Arcanamirium. The more they train him, the closer they were to adding another mage into their ranks that was a seeker of magical secrets. He wasn't going to just learn new magic, but why magic works and how it shapes us and the world around us. Those particular spellcasters were never the grandest compared to those who spent their lives devoted to one school. These mages were the inovaters of magic, and they made magic their play toy. That is who Ruyle dreams to become one day. But it seems fate has other plans in store before any of that was to happen....

Edit: changed a couple skill ranks around & lengthened his backstory.
    Last edited by Mizu_Makura; 2019-09-23 at 07:34 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm really struggling to come up with a concept that'd work for this game, or feels like it fits into a Gothic Horror scenario so I'm just going to withdraw and wish all my best to folks!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Deadly Agility is approved for a feat and doesn't follow the feat tax removal. I'm not sure what you mean by attack as well as damage, since weapon finesse is essentialy free, so it would add to attack.
    Ok, long explanation incoming, sorry in advance.

What I basically mean is Slashing Grace lets you use your Dex for damage on a finesse or one-handed slashing weapon.

It only works on one weapon that you choose when you get the feat, and it has to be one that you have Focus in, as opposed to Deadly Agility which works on ALL finesse weapons with no feat requirement. But, if you wanted to use a non-finesse one-handed slashing weapon (Longsword for the most obvious example) with dex-to-damage, Deadly Agility won't allow it, but Slashing Grace will. HOWEVER! This feat only allows the damage to come from the dex, not the attack roll.

This skill was likely built for the Swashbuckler class, which gets the unique class skill 'Swashbuckler Finesse', which is basically Weapon Finesse except it works on non finesse one-handed weapons, so slashing grace would let you totally bypass the need for Strength even with such weapons. I don't feel like playing a Swashbuckler, I was aiming for a Magus instead.

So, my question is (and if the answer is no I'm fine making something else entirely) if I both spend a feat to get Weapon Focus in a one-handed slashing weapon, then spend a second feat to get Slashing Grace so that same weapon can use Dex for it's damage, can I also just count the attack roll with dex instead?

I only ask as such since I've seen this be handwaved by DM's before, and since you houserule'd weapon finesse into being default and letting Deadly Agility be a purchasable feat, you might be willing to allow this bending of the rules. I figure if I'm willing to sink two feats into this path you might just Ok this.

...if not, I'd just like to know before I make plans, so I don't aim down a non-viable build path. I want to join either way, because this looks really interesting.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The horror vibes drew me here.

@razorback Considering that this is an ongoing game, where are we starting at?
    Last edited by Yas392; 2019-09-20 at 04:22 AM.
    "Everything in creation is flawed. Humans don't need to be mentioned. Air, intent, and even time. My eyes can see the death of things. They're special, like yours. So I can kill anything that lives. Even if that thing is God."

21. - Top - End - #21

Chimera

I'm gonna to pick a rapier and deadly agility so I get Dex to both hit and damage, it works that way, right?

22. - Top - End - #22

Currently playing on a Shadowcaller Fetchling Unchained Summoner (tho the archetype was created for normal summoners). I intend to make the eidolon an utility one (shadow subtype from unchained eidola), but if the group wants or needs a second frontliner, I might just create a hulking tanking shadow monstrosity.

Thematically the character will try to RP living nightmares, and the fabric of dream and reality unraveling, the divide between the shadow plane and the mortal plane slowly thinning.

23. - Top - End - #23

Chimera

24. - Top - End - #24

Vozen - Sorry, you need to take both if you want them to interact in that way.

Yas392 - 1st level.

Aleister VII - Yes, it will. I'll check your character later.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

Wait, both? You mean a dip into Swashbuckler and Slashing grace, or Deadly Agility + Slashing Grace? Or just normal Weapon Focus and Slashing Grace? I'm real sorry, it's not clear to me.

You know what, I can just cook up something else, this isn't worth the headache.

26. - Top - End - #26

Chimera

Alright, I still owe you my pc backstory but since we start with amnesia I don't think it'll be a great issue for the time being.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I have the beginnings of an occultist done here, should be able to finish it up tonight. Is there a deadline for submissions set?
    A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

28. - Top - End - #28

Aleister VII - Sent a request to view your sheet but can you put it on Mythweavers or TheTangledWeb?

rs2excelsior - Haven't set a date yet.

29. - Top - End - #29

Chimera

I'll check my google drive, Mythweavers is too complex and tedious to fill x.x

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Yas392 - 1st level.

Aleister VII - Yes, it will. I'll check your character later.
    No, no. I meant location.
    Last edited by Yas392; 2019-09-23 at 04:27 PM.
    "Everything in creation is flawed. Humans don't need to be mentioned. Air, intent, and even time. My eyes can see the death of things. They're special, like yours. So I can kill anything that lives. Even if that thing is God."