The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: [PF1/3.P] Jungle Ruins of Madaro-Shanti Recruitment

Quote Originally Posted by Koral View Post
    "...they had to eat Sir Robin's minstrel, and there was much rejoicing".

I think Ignasio and Selmor will be BFFs in no time.
    Can I have link to some PF basics rules so I can start with the boring and tedious task of creating a character?

Oh, just to be polite: Real name is Dan, over 50 and father of 2 from Israel, DND player of various versions from age 15 (Red box set). Usually DMing but making exceptions, usually prefer role play over roll play (but making exceptions).
    Thanks for having me, and apologies in advance for any spelling/ grammar mistakes as I am not a native English speaker.

Character creation basics: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/basics-abili...cter-creation/

Sorcerer Handbook: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...qVg2kpGiI/edit
    Like most guidebooks, it is focused on optimization, so take it as you will.
    Dergosh the Loud M Half-Orc Cleric 3 | HP: 17/26 | Init +10 | AC 16 T11 FF14 | Fort +5 Ref +3 Will +6 | Listen +1, Spot +4 | ATK +5melee 1d8+3/x2, +4 ranged 1d6+3/x2 | Cleric Spells: 0--guidance, guidance, light, resistance; 1st- cause fear, doom, sonic blast D (DC 14), shield of faith; 2nd- bullís strength, sonic weaponD, spiritual weapon
    Domain ability: piercing scream (DC 14)

Spoiler: Dergosh Character Sheet
    Show

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mercurion 2 View Post
    @Yas Ė Let me preference this by saying that I have limited (read: none) experience with the occult adventures classes. So, from my quick reading, I donít have a problem with the necromantic servant concept as it is part of the class. There does seem to be some disagreement, however, about the number of servants a PC can have simultaneously. Thoughts?
    I have no problem if you limit it to only one servant at a time.
    "Everything in creation is flawed. Humans don't need to be mentioned. Air, intent, and even time. My eyes can see the death of things. They're special, like yours. So I can kill anything that lives. Even if that thing is God."

3. - Top - End - #33
    Firbolg in the Playground

Would you allow Kobold Press' Lizardfolk? I will send you the needed info via PM.

They are much more worked out than the Paizo one (which is afaik only an example for the race builder) and come in large, medium and small.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

So that looks like a sort of berserker monk, yeah? It's fits conceptually, certainly. As long as it isn't overpowering--and as a primarily martial character I assume it isn't?--I'll be happy to look at the character.
    As someone who has built a mostly martial character, and who enjoys Spheres of Might, I have absolutely zero butthurt or trepidation over this.
    Semper ludens.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Triskavanski View Post
    Since YAS is also using the same class, I can assure you that Jack Candle is entirely different. Occultist is weird because its like it can very easily alter its form based on whatever you take.

Jack's focus is Abjuration/Transmutation/Illusion, as he focuses more into combat, particularly with using his book as a weapon.
    Can see that. My character is pretty caster focused. In terms of optimization, I think I crossed the line a bit too much. I might ditch occultist for another class with a fun archetype.
    "Everything in creation is flawed. Humans don't need to be mentioned. Air, intent, and even time. My eyes can see the death of things. They're special, like yours. So I can kill anything that lives. Even if that thing is God."

6. - Top - End - #36

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Spore View Post
    Would you allow Kobold Press' Lizardfolk? I will send you the needed info via PM.

They are much more worked out than the Paizo one (which is afaik only an example for the race builder) and come in large, medium and small.
    Send me the race details please. A local tribe of lizardfolk could easily be impacted by the black clouds and have strong motivation to investigate their source.
    Dergosh the Loud M Half-Orc Cleric 3 | HP: 17/26 | Init +10 | AC 16 T11 FF14 | Fort +5 Ref +3 Will +6 | Listen +1, Spot +4 | ATK +5melee 1d8+3/x2, +4 ranged 1d6+3/x2 | Cleric Spells: 0--guidance, guidance, light, resistance; 1st- cause fear, doom, sonic blast D (DC 14), shield of faith; 2nd- bullís strength, sonic weaponD, spiritual weapon

Show

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

@Mercurion 2 Can you give us an example of the optimization level you are looking for?

8. - Top - End - #38

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yas392 View Post
    @Mercurion 2 Can you give us an example of the optimization level you are looking for?
    I'm not sure how to concretely define it. I would say "moderate", but that probably has different meanings to different people.

He's another way to look at it, though: I'm looking for players and characters that seem like they'll be enjoyable to run the adventure with. I can always work with folks to get their characters at the right level before we start.

My philosophy as a DM is to make sure all players are enjoying the game and that each of their characters have a chance to shine. There are various ways to achieve that, but it is easier if the characters start at relatively equal power levels.

Show

9. - Top - End - #39
    Bugbear in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Aedun Gno is done if you want to take a look. I'd love some feedback.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne Collins
    Strange things did happen here, no stranger would it be if we met at midnight in the hanging tree

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

OK, crunch is done for Zhadora. I'll edit this post with the backstory, appearance, etc, either late tonight or tomorrow.
    Edit: I forgot to mention: I tried to make her not super optimized, but I don't think I did well enough. Mercurion 2, if you could read this sheet and suggest ways to make it at the powerlevel you want, I would appreciate it.
    Spoiler: Description
    Show
    Zhadora is astonishingly short for her race, but underneath her armor and ceremonial beaver hide, she is a powerful warrior. To the average person walking down the street, she looks like a human barbarian. Her hide covers her gills, and her hair only appears wet to the most observant people.

Spoiler: Personality
    Show
    Zhadora believes that might makes right, but at the same time, the strong have a duty to guide the weak and protect them. She speaks perfect common, with a slight lilting accent. To her friends, sheís focused but rowdy. To people she doesnít know, sheís polite, but firm in her beliefs.

Spoiler: Backstory
    Show
    Zhadora was born to the chief of a small tribe in a river. They worshipped the spirits of the land, but they were bloodthirsty, and not only hunted animals, but occasionally people going down the river as well. She was hotheaded, and rebelled, leading a part of the tribe to break off and form their own group, which didnít worship the spirits. The original tribe caught her, and decided that her punishment was to be thrown onto land, and die like a fish out of water. Fortunately for her, she was saved by the very spirits she had reviled. The spirits blessed her with their power and insight, and she found that they had granted her many gifts:
    • The ability to speak perfect Common and Draconic
    • The ability to gain some qualities of her sacred animal, the Beaver
    • A mark with their symbol, to remind her of who she was in debt to
    • The ability to turn the tribal chants she had sung ever since she was a child into magical power.

They also gave her a mission: to go out into the world and destroy anything unnatural.

Spoiler: 2 questions you probably have:
    Show

Why not just play a druid?
    I like the Skald class mechanically, and I also want her to have a high charisma.
    Why not just worship Gozreh?
    These spirits are not all of nature. They're Chaotic Good. They're ambitious, and have similar beliefs to Zhadora herself. They even give her advice sometimes, which Gods definitely don't do.
    Last edited by PhyrexianShovel; 2019-09-22 at 05:07 PM.
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Wizard at 1st level

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Who's to say a Fortune 500 won't serve McDonald's?
    Campaigns I'm running:
    Carrion Crown (IC|OOC)

Campaigns I'm playing in:
    None right now!

11. - Top - End - #41
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

@Mercurion:
    Apologies, but I think that there is a slight mistake in the Characters table you published:
    The full name should be "Ignasio Aurelio De San Cristobal Guanahato"
    Papa Massimo if very punctilious about that.

Also, please use larger fonts when writing his name, it cant possibly appear at the same font size as surrounding text.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Koral; 2019-09-22 at 03:03 AM.

12. - Top - End - #42

OrcBarbarianGuy

@ChaoticHarmony: A nearly 14-foot tall character could have some disadvantages at times, just for full disclosure

@Phyrexian: I haven't gone through it in fine detail, but nothing OP leaps out at me at first glance.

@Koral: Table should be all fixed now
    Last edited by Mercurion 2; 2019-09-22 at 08:42 AM.

Show

13. - Top - End - #43
    Bugbear in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

@ChaoticHarmony: A nearly 14-foot tall character could have some disadvantages at times, just for full disclosure
    That's perfectly acceptable. Part of the fun is seeing how one can overcome such disadvantages ☺
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne Collins
    Strange things did happen here, no stranger would it be if we met at midnight in the hanging tree

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

@Phyrexian: I haven't gone through it in fine detail, but nothing OP leaps out at me at first glance.
    If I did manage to actually not make it OP, that's great! Just as long as it's what you want for your game.

Campaigns I'm running:
    Carrion Crown (IC|OOC)

None right now!

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

How much damage would A book of Lesser Extend Summoning do as an improvised weapon? right now I've got it rated as a club
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

16. - Top - End - #46

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Triskavanski View Post
    How much damage would A book of Lesser Extend Summoning do as an improvised weapon? right now I've got it rated as a club
    Iíd say that entirely depends on the contents of the book.

If it contains works by Brandon Sanderson,the target will need to make a Will save or be subject to the effects of a feeblemind spell due to the shear mind numbing dullness of the prose contained therein.

Should the book contain illustrations by Wayne Reynolds, the targetís face immediately tips down and takes on a stupid looking snarl, resulting in a -14 CHA penalty. Additionally, the targetís movement is reduced to 5 ft./round as its feet have now become stubby, shapeless clubs totally inadequate for carrying the creature's mass.

Other than that, yeah, a club sounds fine. Isnít that a one-shot magic item though?
    Last edited by Mercurion 2; 2019-09-22 at 04:39 PM.

Show

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

Its a single use item if its used for its normal use yeah.
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I decided to play a changeling witch.

19. - Top - End - #49

OrcBarbarianGuy

UPDATE: SUBMISSION DEADLINE THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 26th

Based on where we are at this time, I've set the submission deadline for end of the day this Thursday
    Last edited by Mercurion 2; 2019-09-23 at 10:52 AM.

Show

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Just in case you didn't notice, Zhadora's backstory is in her original post.

Campaigns I'm running:
    Carrion Crown (IC|OOC)

None right now!

21. - Top - End - #51

Crunch for Vemcin, a large Lizardfolk (Kobold Press) Invulnerable Rager done: https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1910932

Yes, I am well aware I can't afford Improved Grapple. Take your puny attacks on me while you can. Kinda tempted to look up a way to get Swallow Whole on the character to really start eating people during battle. (I kinda settled on trying to eat people afterwards unless the party stops me.) Unsure how precise non-combat adventuring gear has to be done so I do this after I add a bit of story. I'm strapped on time today so this will follow. I'll mainly just blurb my idea for now.

Vemcin was sent by the broodmother to investigate the dark clouds, and has found himself allying with the commoners. He picked up a few words of Common every now and then, most of it by a a young wizard who taught him a bit a few years ago. The wizard then injured himself during travel so Vemcin did the graceful thing of killing him off and eating him but he will take the party's advice on that matter for the unity of the tribe is far more importan than not wasting resources (a dead adventurer IS free food after all!).

The character should be about 10-12 ft. tall and weigh about 2 short tons (lizards tend to have tense muscles so a hefty and weighty large male like that does not need to be towering by that much. His gear is mostly trying to stay a bit tribal, and I will use the Potion Glutton feat mostly to use Potions of Enlarge Person.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Janna the Witch is WiP

Crunch is almost done and fluff is going to be included in the sheet.

@Mercurion 2 Questions

1) Does my witch need quick draw to draw the cards as free action or is it always on hand for my witch to throw them like a dart?
    2) Can my witch enhance the cards (ammunition) separately?
    3) Can my witch add spells to her deck like familiar via scrolls before the game?

EDIT: Background finished and included. Crunch is 90% done.
    Last edited by Yas392; 2019-09-24 at 10:58 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53

OrcBarbarianGuy

Thanks for the addtional submissions folks.

@Yas -- I'm not familiar with a cartomancer, so I'll have to research your questions.
    Last edited by Mercurion 2; 2019-09-24 at 09:29 PM.

Show

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

@Yas -- I'm not familiar with a cartomancer, so I'll have to research your questions.
    Cartomancer if you want link.

Basically, the deck replaces the familiar but it is treated as familiar in certain ways (storing spells, touch attacks, etc). All of its cards can be thrown like darts and be enhanced. The 3rd question is basically your call. Barring all of that and the gold leftover for the magic learning, my witch is complete.
    Last edited by Yas392; 2019-09-24 at 10:58 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55

Atrux (renamed) feels finished now apart from adventuring gear.

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1910932

26. - Top - End - #56

OrcBarbarianGuy

KICK FOR SUBMISSION DEADLINE IN ABOUT 24 HOURS

Not sure if we are even likely to get any more submissions, we have an awfully good group already.

As far as process goes, I'll close this to new interest at the end of the day (GMT -6:00) tomorrow. At that point I'll ask any final questions I have on the character sheets and will try to make final selections by Saturday for a Sunday or Monday launch. Character sheets might even still need a little fine-tuning at that point, which is perfectly fine as some may what to add gear once they get more of a briefing.

--Merc

Show

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

My character is done barring the spell learning part. Still need answers to my questions.
    Last edited by Yas392; 2019-09-25 at 09:20 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58

My character lacks the "finished" Y in your form. What do you need else?

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Sheet: https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2018947

Same for my application. She is 100% completed so I am confused why there is no 'Y' on her status. Unless you want her fluff to be here as well. I'll just post it here for easier viewing.

Spoiler: Description
    Show
    Appearance-wise, she is of average height of a normal female of her age, her complexion and face ghost-like and beholds timeless beauty, completed with free-flowing white silks. She dresses herself in a gothic style; contrasting black gown, gloves, heels and waist protections that matches with her white skin and decorative pauldrons.

Spoiler: Personality
    Show
    Usually, sarcastic, eccentric, private and mild. To her friends and those under her care, fair, loyal and compassionate sometimes displaying a matronly affection. To strangers, she is wary, cold and professional. Well-educated, adventurous and suffers from bouts of wanderlust, never remaining in one place for long unless the place is interesting.

Spoiler: Background
    Show
    Found and grew up with the wayang community in the isolated isles of Minata, Janna knew nothing of the outside world other than the love of her foster family and her affinity to magic. As she came of age, she left the island after proving her independence to her foster father, Darkras because she was frustrated with the idle life on the island. It was too safe and she wanted to experience the outside world without just knowing them from a few pages and there. Janna also wanted to know of her origins; how she came to be and how she acquired her magic when the wayangs told her that she was not one of them. Her journey was stable at the start. Then, she experienced firsthand the dangers of the world.

A pack of bandit ambushed her and she could not fend them off with her laughable magic that she only just scratched the surface. She would have died there if not for a travelling witch who dealt with them. Scorning Janna's ineptitude as a witch but at the same time sympathetic once the wayang raised changeling told her the full story, the witch took her under her wing and mentored her for months. Once Janna was up to par on the basics, the witch disappeared, leaving her a special harrow deck. The changeling did not question her leave, expressing her gratitude to the winds. Time marched on. She continued her journey that she postponed. Today, having explored several regions, she stops by Chologadi to explore what the marvels that the port city has to offer.
    Last edited by Yas392; 2019-09-26 at 03:27 AM.

30. - Top - End - #60

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yas392 View Post
    Janna the Witch is WiP

Crunch is almost done and fluff is going to be included in the sheet.

@Mercurion 2 Questions

1) Does my witch need quick draw to draw the cards as free action or is it always on hand for my witch to throw them like a dart?
    2) Can my witch enhance the cards (ammunition) separately?
    3) Can my witch add spells to her deck like familiar via scrolls before the game?

EDIT: Background finished and included. Crunch is 90% done.
    OK, finally had time to dive into this.

1) Since the cards are essentially treated as similar to darts, I would say the same rules apply, i.e., draw them as a move action, combined with a move action, or else take quick draw
    2) I'm not certain if I am interpreting your question correctly, but as I understand it the Arcane Strike feat is automatically applied to the cards, giving you +1 damage and treated as magic. If you are asking if you can also cast some additional magic to enhance their attack, damage, etc., I would say yes, just as the answer to 1 above, I'd treat them similar to a dart.
    3) No, no additional spells can be added

Show