The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 190
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Could Belkar be descended from Serini?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    That completely depends on how she handled the diary. If it never left her person and she had a plan for the chain of custody (both who would have it and why they would have it as well as how they could potentially use it), then not at all. If she just tossed it in the drawer of the inn she was the day she finished it, then absolutely.

    And while that's a spectrum and not a dichotomy, I'm inclined to believe the truth was significantly closer to the former than the latter.
    It's a diary. It's not meant to contain crucial information.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Forum Wisdom

  2. - Top - End - #32
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Could Belkar be descended from Serini?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    It's a diary. It's not meant to contain crucial information.
    Dr. Henry Jones, Sr. would vehemently disagree with you.
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatars by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Spoiler: Avatar collection
    Show

    Spoiler: I'm the sun, I'm the sun
    Show
    Spoiler: I can move I can run
    Show
    Spoiler: But you'll never stop me burning
    Show

  3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Could Belkar be descended from Serini?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Dr. Henry Jones, Sr. would vehemently disagree with you.
    And I would care, because... ?
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Forum Wisdom

  4. - Top - End - #34
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Kansas City

    Default Re: Could Belkar be descended from Serini?

    Quote Originally Posted by PhyrexianShovel View Post
    Alright, alright, I agreed it's far fetched, no need to keep hammering it in .
    I'm sorry some of the people have been responding to you so aggressively condescendingly. It isn't deserved.

    I had the same thought a while ago, that the reason we have had background info on everyone BUT Belkar is because we'd have a last minute reveal that Belkar has a connection to Serini. That kind of hidden "gotchya" is pretty common, so I wouldn't be surprised by it.

    But, it would be very out of the blue and disappointing because there hasn't been any build up toward it, at least none that I've seen. So it would be a very "all halflings are related" kind of reveal.

    Also, and I don't have the exact quote, but somewhere in the Giant's posts there was a post or an interview where he seemed to suggest that Belkar would never get a background story like the rest of them have because it would detract from his purpose in the strip. Representing the kind of CE murderhobo character where the player puts no thought into backstory, is how I interpreted it.
    "The monk hits you a shattering blow in the kidneys, luckily this fixes a long standing alignment issue with your spine, gain +10 Move"

    "The evil wizard fireballs you, since the weather has been nasty you are now pleasantly warm, gain immunity from fear effects and cold and necrotic damage "

    "The drow cleric smashes you in the skull with an adamantine mace, this jogs your memory, regain all your used spell slots for the day"

  5. - Top - End - #35
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Could Belkar be descended from Serini?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    And I would care, because... ?
    Well, I would hope because a massively popular and successful movie was entirely predicated on the idea that diaries can contain crucial information, so the same idea happening in here would not unprecedented.
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatars by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Spoiler: Avatar collection
    Show

    Spoiler: I'm the sun, I'm the sun
    Show
    Spoiler: I can move I can run
    Show
    Spoiler: But you'll never stop me burning
    Show

  6. - Top - End - #36
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RatElemental's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: Could Belkar be descended from Serini?

    Quote Originally Posted by MossyMeow View Post
    Speaking of Serini, has anyone else always assumed sheís dead? Halflings, at least in core D&D, donít live much longer than humans, and Girad died of old age decades ago. Wouldnít she have died already?

    Wait! I know! Sheís actually the Dark One...and Redcloakís niece...and Belkarís mother. And only she knows Vís gender, the exact species of the MITD, and the best possible use for a doily. It all makes sense!
    Only if "lives twice as long as humans" counts as "not much longer than humans." Seriously, a halfling rolling minimum on max age still comes shy just five years of a human rolling maximum.
    Last edited by RatElemental; 2019-09-19 at 05:29 PM.

  7. - Top - End - #37
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Magrathea
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Could Belkar be descended from Serini?

    Quote Originally Posted by RatElemental View Post
    Only if "lives twice as long as humans" counts as "not much longer than humans." Seriously, a halfling rolling minimum on max age still comes shy just five years of a human rolling maximum.
    I wonder how that scales with immune systems...? Does an elderly Halfling have a somewhat more vulnerable immune system because they have been around for much longer, or are they somewhat more resilient because they are halflings?

    Age and general fitness might not quite correlate though.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

    See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

    Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm


    "I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

  8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    DruidGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2019

    Default Re: Could Belkar be descended from Serini?

    OK, yeah, that pretty much disproves it. I hadn't remembered that when it was posted. I also got my copy of On the Origin of PCs back, and I see that quote you and others mentioned. Thanks to you and Gallowglass for taking me seriously.

    Now, to get of this thread before it derails, crashes, and burns .

  9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Could Belkar be descended from Serini?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Well, I would hope because a massively popular and successful movie was entirely predicated on the idea that diaries can contain crucial information, so the same idea happening in here would not unprecedented.
    Now, that is poor logic, just because a popular movie did something doesn't mean it's a good idea.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Forum Wisdom

  10. - Top - End - #40
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    Nov 2012

    Default Re: Could Belkar be descended from Serini?

    It'd be pretty closely related, Scribble was only like 70 years ago and halflings live a long while
    Quote Originally Posted by ActionReplay View Post
    Why does D&D have no Gollum? Why it does. You just can't see him. He is wearing his precious at the moment.

  11. - Top - End - #41
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Could Belkar be descended from Serini?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Now, that is poor logic, just because a popular movie did something doesn't mean it's a good idea.
    My logic said it was not unprecedented. There are innumerable things that are commonly accepted to happen in stories that you can logically classify as bad ideas, and yet occur all the time.

    Your proposition is "diaries are not meant to contain crucial information." I am simply saying that diaries can and have contained crucial information. You may not like that idea, but that doesn't make it less true.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-09-20 at 07:43 AM.
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatars by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Spoiler: Avatar collection
    Show

    Spoiler: I'm the sun, I'm the sun
    Show
    Spoiler: I can move I can run
    Show
    Spoiler: But you'll never stop me burning
    Show

  12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    hroĢila's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Could Belkar be descended from Serini?

    I'm a bit confused by this argument. Don't we already know that the diary did contain crucial information? "She wrote it down in a diary, therefore she didn't think it was crucial information" strikes me as circular logic.
    Last edited by hroĢila; 2019-09-20 at 07:56 AM.
    ungelic is us

  13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    ClericGirl

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Could Belkar be descended from Serini?

    Quote Originally Posted by hroĢila View Post
    I'm a bit confused by this argument. Don't we already know that the diary did contain crucial information? "She wrote it down in a diary, therefore she didn't think it was crucial information" strikes me as circular logic.
    There was a time when diaries and letters were some of the most useful sources for historians to dig into ... diaries being dismissed as not useful strikes me as a case of not understanding how wide spread those tools (as well as journals) were as recently as a generation ago, and even moreso as one goes further back in time.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2019-09-20 at 08:03 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    (paraphrased) Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenstone View Post
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also quite handsome) ... 2D8HP told me so
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyDaze
    Self-deception tends to have a low target number

  14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2015

    Default Re: Could Belkar be descended from Serini?

    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    There was a time when diaries and letters were some of the most useful sources for historians to dig into ... diaries being dismissed as not useful strikes me as a case of not understanding how wide spread those tools (as well as journals) were as recently as a generation ago, and even moreso as one goes further back in time.
    In fairness, that's partly because, often, diaries contain the details, minutia of day-to-life in the period that no one else thought was important to write down.

  15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Vendanna's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2013

    Default Re: Could Belkar be descended from Serini?

    Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    In fairness, that's partly because, often, diaries contain the details, minutia of day-to-life in the period that no one else thought was important to write down.
    in reality, the "write a diary" is the tool parents use to "peek" what their kids are doing and if something bad is happening to them, since they know where the diary is and can look at it when their kids are at the school. (to find out if there is bullying or who the kid has a crush on) :3

  16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Skyron, Andromeda
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Could Belkar be descended from Serini?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    There is actually only one halfling. Itís an immortal who uses epic time-travel magic to hop between worlds and escape the XP-death of the universe by going back to the beginning. They use various disguises such as wigs and fake beards to pretend there are multiple different halflings.
    So itís the single electron theory, but for Halflings? I like it.


    Peeleeís Lotsey

  17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Could Belkar be descended from Serini?

    Quote Originally Posted by hroĢila View Post
    I'm a bit confused by this argument. Don't we already know that the diary did contain crucial information? "She wrote it down in a diary, therefore she didn't think it was crucial information" strikes me as circular logic.
    Iím not saying she didnít think it was important, Iím saying she was careless with it. Peelee proposed that she had an important reason to keep the diary such passing the info later on. Iím saying that it is not what diary are for, they exist for people to write down what happened to them day by day. This isnít even a travel log, she draw hearts around Girard for crying out loud! It would be supremely bizarre for her to use that particular book if she needed the coordinates written down somehow rather than copying them on a different sheet of paper.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    So itís the single electron theory, but for Halflings? I like it.
    The what now?
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Forum Wisdom

  18. - Top - End - #48
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Jasdoif's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Oregon, USA

    Default Re: Could Belkar be descended from Serini?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Dr. Henry Jones, Sr. would vehemently disagree with you.
    And I would care, because... ?
    Because he didn't want his diary incinerated.

  19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2015

    Default Re: Could Belkar be descended from Serini?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Iím not saying she didnít think it was important, Iím saying she was careless with it. Peelee proposed that she had an important reason to keep the diary such passing the info later on. Iím saying that it is not what diary are for, they exist for people to write down what happened to them day by day. This isnít even a travel log, she draw hearts around Girard for crying out loud! It would be supremely bizarre for her to use that particular book if she needed the coordinates written down somehow rather than copying them on a different sheet of paper.

    The what now?
    They had the coordinates in them. That's why Xykon was able to find Girard's Gate the instant he got back from The Astral.

  20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Could Belkar be descended from Serini?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Because he didn't want his diary incinerated.
    I don't understand your point?
    Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    They had the coordinates in them. That's why Xykon was able to find Girard's Gate the instant he got back from The Astral.
    Hence "careless".
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Forum Wisdom

  21. - Top - End - #51
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    b_jonas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Could Belkar be descended from Serini?

    Yes. In fact, all members of the Order of the Stick are descendants of the six members of the Order of the Scribble. Fate has brought these descendants together to become the guardians of the six gates when the original guardians have failed their mission.

    Like you said, Belkar is a descendant of Serini. Belkar has inherited from Serini the love of the forces of nature and distrust to magic. This is why Belkar doesn't cast spells, but makes wide empathy checks, rides a hellhound as soon as he has opportunity, wants a ride dog mightier than the dachshund. He has now enlisted two strong monsters to his aid: Mr. Scruffy and Bloodfeast. He will enlist more such monsters from Monster's Hollow, and then die content that the monsters can protect Serini's gate so he is no longer needed.

    Vaarsuvius is Lirian's descendant. Both of them combine nature with magic, and have a keen eye for good and bad ways to do this. Lirian used magically strengthened treants and a certain other magically strengthened biological weapon that Start of Darkness taks about. Vaarsuvius has so far only researched her messenger birds, but she already started to notice how stupid Owlbears are.

    Haley is Girard's descendant. They prefer to work with deception, and trust only their family. The relation is obvious; they both have red hair, and Haley practically admitted that she is not entirely human, because she knows of her dragon heritage. Tarquin knows all this, and more that he doesn't reveal. He made inquiries about the Draketooth family on occasion of marrying one of them, and he had more reason to keep Ian imprisoned than just Bozzok paying him.

    Roy is a descendant of Dorukan. He comes from an old family where each generation rebels against the other by alternately becoming warriors and wizards. Dorukan became an epic wizard only to rebel against his father who distrusted magic and wanted to make a warrior out of him. Roy is on his way to become one of the most powerful fighters of this world.

    Elan is also a descendant of Dorukan. That's why Elan wanted to become Roy's brother. Elan's warrior father wanted him to participate more actively in fights, but Elan decided to rebel against him. Elan didn't become a wizard as you know, but that doesn't make him less of a rebel against the role that Tarquin wanted to push on him.

    Shojo, who isn't a member of the party but has hired them to the mission to guard the gates, is a descendants of Soon. This much is public knowledge: Shojo still says that he's descended from Soon, even if he doesn't feel bound by his oath.

    Mr. Scruffy, who is a member of the party now, is also descended from Soon. Mr. Scruffy is the real power behind the throne. Shojo didn't even keep this secret, but because of his gambit that made everyone believe that he's senile, most people don't believe this. We've seen in both the main comic and GDGU that Azure City has a nobility where most people inherit their power from their ancestors. It follows that Mr. Scruffy is also descended from Soon, which is why he has a claim to the Azure City throne. GDGU also shows how nobles sometimes go to undercover missions under pseudonyms so that they can observe ordinary people without being recognized. Mr. Scruffy is currently on such a mission.

    Durkon is a descendant of Kraagor.
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2019-09-20 at 11:06 AM.

  22. - Top - End - #52
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    HalflingRogueGuy

    Join Date
    May 2018

    Default Re: Could Belkar be descended from Serini?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I couldn't put it better myself. It's about as likely as Xykon turning out to be Elan's long lost second cousin.
    Seems legit. They both have nice hair.
    Last edited by Dion; 2019-09-20 at 11:21 AM.

  23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Could Belkar be descended from Serini?

    Shojo is not related to Soon. This is the only issue I have with this otherwise flawless theory.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Forum Wisdom

  24. - Top - End - #54
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Could Belkar be descended from Serini?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Iím not saying she didnít think it was important, Iím saying she was careless with it. Peelee proposed that she had an important reason to keep the diary such passing the info later on. Iím saying that it is not what diary are for
    What you would use a diary for is not what every person ever would use a diary for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    The what now?
    Extrapolate from known information. At a guess, I'd say that theory posits that there exists only a single electron that travels time and space and makes up every single electron that ever existed. Which is greatly amusing to me.
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatars by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Spoiler: Avatar collection
    Show

    Spoiler: I'm the sun, I'm the sun
    Show
    Spoiler: I can move I can run
    Show
    Spoiler: But you'll never stop me burning
    Show

  25. - Top - End - #55
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Jasdoif's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Oregon, USA

    Default Re: Could Belkar be descended from Serini?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I don't understand your point?
    Why, the obvious doubling down on "Peelee referenced a movie where a diary with vital information was saved from a scene with a literal book burning, after you suggested Serini should have burned her diary" with a near-quote from the scene in question. Dr. Henry Jones Sr. writing down clues to get past traps to get to the Holy Grail so he won't have to remember them, while important in getting to the Holy Grail that he's been seeking most of his life, isn't especially comparable with encoded coordinates and/or research material in Serini's diary. All I have to do is scream.
    Last edited by Jasdoif; 2019-09-20 at 11:30 AM.

  26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Could Belkar be descended from Serini?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    What you would use a diary for is not what every person ever would use a diary for.
    Fortunately, we know what she used it for: drawing hearts and making innuendos. she clearly didn't expect it to be important.


    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Extrapolate from known information. At a guess, I'd say that theory posits that there exists only a single electron that travels time and space and makes up every single electron that ever existed. Which is greatly amusing to me.
    Was expecting a link.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    All I have to do is scream.
    "I am a banana and I must scream"?
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Forum Wisdom

  27. - Top - End - #57
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Could Belkar be descended from Serini?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Fortunately, we know what she used it for: drawing hearts and making innuendos. she clearly didn't expect it to be important.
    She also used it to codify the locations of the gates, so she clearly did expect it to be important.
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatars by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Spoiler: Avatar collection
    Show

    Spoiler: I'm the sun, I'm the sun
    Show
    Spoiler: I can move I can run
    Show
    Spoiler: But you'll never stop me burning
    Show

  28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    ClericGirl

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Could Belkar be descended from Serini?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    "I am a banana and I must scream"?
    On the other side of the gates, no one can hear you scream.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    (paraphrased) Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenstone View Post
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also quite handsome) ... 2D8HP told me so
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyDaze
    Self-deception tends to have a low target number

  29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Could Belkar be descended from Serini?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    She also used it to codify the locations of the gates, so she clearly did expect it to be important.
    Depends on when they found out what the Gates where and how dangerous they were relatives to when they found out where they are. She could have thougt it was just the locations of a monster with a teleportation ability or something.

    EDIT: Hell she may even have forgotten she wrote them down in her diary in the first place, as I said upthread that was sixty freaking years ago.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-09-20 at 11:53 AM.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Forum Wisdom

  30. - Top - End - #60
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Jasdoif's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Oregon, USA

    Default Re: Could Belkar be descended from Serini?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Was expecting a link.
    Like this?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •