The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default That thing doesn't obey the laws of physics feat

So I've been slowly getting ready to play a captain America inspired battle master fighter. The last thing missing from it is going to be the obvious returning shield. While a magic weapon with the returning property could do it, caps Shields weren't always technology dependant. So I thought I'd gets some ideas for a custom feat to run past the DM.

Feat:
    +1 strength or Dexterity
    -When using thrown weapons that could reasonably bounce, the character can declare a number of targets up to the attacks they could make this turn within range. Going in order the object can bounce from one Target to another assuming a successful hit, each time "consuming that attack". You cannot Target the same creature twice with this attack . If all hits are successful the object returns to the wielder. Any missed attack causes the weapon to land in the square where the attack missed.

My thoughts is this is a feat that allows the character to do something they already could do had they used conventional weapons so it is likely deserving of being a 1/2 feat. If I'm wrong, I'd like to hear what I'm missing.

Obviously the wording is a bit clunky, and I'm hoping someone could help me fix it up a bit or point out if theres a glaring flaw or help make it better in general.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: That thing doesn't obey the laws of physics feat

Feels too weak-the odds of missing at least once with two attacks, assuming you hit on an 8, is over 50%. Three attacks bumps that to nearly a 3 in 4 chance.

I'd hate to lose my weapon that often.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Current Avatar by Elder Tsofu, who is awesome!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show

Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3

Do you think just making attack rolls with it against all targets and it returning would be too good? Maybe at least make a natural 1 have it not come back?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MadBear View Post
    Do you think just making attack rolls with it against all targets and it returning would be too good? Maybe at least make a natural 1 have it not come back?
    I would have it come back, short of the opponent readying an action to catch it or something similar.

No one else risks losing their weapon just by using it-I don't see why being cool should entail that risk.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Current Avatar by Elder Tsofu, who is awesome!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show

Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

that could reasonably bounce
    NEVER use the words reasonably or realistically when writing feat mechanics.

6. - Top - End - #6

So I've been slowly getting ready to play a captain America inspired battle master fighter. The last thing missing from it is going to be the obvious returning shield. While a magic weapon with the returning property could do it, caps Shields weren't always technology dependant. So I thought I'd gets some ideas for a custom feat to run past the DM.

Feat:
    +1 strength or Dexterity
    -When using thrown weapons that could reasonably bounce, the character can declare a number of targets up to the attacks they could make this turn within range. Going in order the object can bounce from one Target to another assuming a successful hit, each time "consuming that attack". You cannot Target the same creature twice with this attack . If all hits are successful the object returns to the wielder. Any missed attack causes the weapon to land in the square where the attack missed.

My thoughts is this is a feat that allows the character to do something they already could do had they used conventional weapons so it is likely deserving of being a 1/2 feat. If I'm wrong, I'd like to hear what I'm missing.

Obviously the wording is a bit clunky, and I'm hoping someone could help me fix it up a bit or point out if theres a glaring flaw or help make it better in general.
    I would strongly suggest just making it so that your thrown weapon (or shield, as the case may be) returns to you after you're done attacking. I wouldn't even go so far as to require you to attack a different creature each time. Who's to say the weapon isn't returning in between attacks from a narrative/descriptive perspective, after all? Committing to using thrown weapons means you're already behind on damage compared to just about anyone capable of using martial weapons, so I think that's still a half feat.
    ~ Composer99

D&D 5e Homebrew:
    Character Options: Fighter Remix, Paladin Oaths, Ranger Remix, Sorcerer Remix
    Playing the Game: Using Ability Score Variants
    New Subsystems: Combat Manoeuvre System
    Monsters: Yogg-Saron

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by HappyDaze View Post
    NEVER use the words reasonably or realistically when writing feat mechanics.
    If this was for general public use I'd whole heartedly agree. But for a home game where it's just me and the DM, I think it's fine. Mostly, I can't bounce darts off an opponent, but a shield and other similar items could work.

8. - Top - End - #8

OldWizardGuy

Make it a magic item and be done with it. Magic is technology in D&D.