New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Nintendo Switch-Worth It?

See title. I've fallen off the console wagon, but I miss stuff like Smash Bros and Pokemon. And playing on the go-my laptop had a crap battery from the start, and now it won't work without being plugged in at all.

So, is a Switch worth it? And if yes, what's some good games to pick up for it?

My current list:

-Smash Bros
    -Super Mario Odyssey
    -Dark Souls
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Nintendo Switch-Worth It?

I can't tell you if it'd be worth it for you - but there are a lot of great games on there. I don't personally own many, but I highly recommend Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle. If you have even a passing interest in X-Com style games, or strategy, it's super fun. The combat is tight, transparent, and fluid; there's a fair bit of challenge if you try for everything; and it's just plain funny. Highly recommend.

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    I can't tell you if it'd be worth it for you - but there are a lot of great games on there. I don't personally own many, but I highly recommend Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle. If you have even a passing interest in X-Com style games, or strategy, it's super fun. The combat is tight, transparent, and fluid; there's a fair bit of challenge if you try for everything; and it's just plain funny. Highly recommend.
    I guess that's what I'm looking for-because three games isn't really worth shelling out $300 for the console.

But if there's more games I'd be down with, it becomes more worth it.

Show
    Show

Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    I guess that's what I'm looking for-because three games isn't really worth shelling out $300 for the console.

But if there's more games I'd be down with, it becomes more worth it.
    So what kind of games do you like?

If you like turn-based strategy, Fire Emblem Three Houses is also pretty damn good.

Astral Chain also came out to good critique, sci-fish action rpg.

Plus Switch geting lots of ports of old but goodie games plus several new games coming from other companies. Something like half the Final Fantasies, Dragon Quest XI, Dragon Quest Builders (2), Bayonetta (2), Divinity Original sin II, Witcher III. Doom Eternal coming to the Switch someday too. If you travel around a lot, the Switch is great for catching up with games you had no time to play before.

Don't forget Breath of the Wild and the new Link's Awakening.

Even big mainstream free online mp games like Fortnite and Warframe have Switch versions now.

Also you can check the eshop to see the full list and direcly check if it's up to your standards.

If you get the online subscription (which you'll need if you want to play Smash online, but relatively cheap, just 20 bucks for a year) you also get access to a bunch of NES and SNES games which can now be played online with oher people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

5. - Top - End - #5

Does the old SNES stuff include the X Franchise?

Show
    Show

Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Does the old SNES stuff include the X Franchise?
    Not included in the online subscription, but Capcom released all of them as a couple titles, Megaman X Legacy Collection 1 and 2 for the Switch with a bunch of extras.
    Last edited by deuterio12; 2019-09-18 at 10:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    Not included in the online subscription, but Capcom released all of them as a couple titles, Megaman X Legacy Collection 1 and 2 for the Switch with a bunch of extras.
    Okay. I do have them on Steam, but my laptop... Ain't the best.

Thanks all, for the info!

Show
    Show

Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

A quick list of the games I own for it:

- Super Smash Brothers Ultimate. Already on your list, so hardly needs explaining, but it's excellent. The system is worth it for this alone for me personally.
    - Fire Emblem: Three Houses. Fire Emblem is a strategy RPG series if you're not familiar, and frankly this is the best entry in the series bar none. Like Smash Brothers the system would be worth it for this alone to me - and I'm honestly surprised to be saying that, but Three Houses far exceeded my usual expectations for the series. The character writing and story is genuinely great, and it altered and added to the series' usual gameplay in interesting and fun ways. I'm on my third run through, both because I enjoy it that much and because I want to see all of the possible routes through the story. Highly recommended.
    - Astral Chain. Pretty solid action game, though it starts out very slow, with your options in combat being extremely limited in the first few chapters. You play as a sort of super-cop who is tethered to a monster called a Legion by the titular Astral Chain, and you control both as a sort of tag-team duo. Can be played single-player or co-op with the second player controlling the Legion. Story's nothing to write home about but has a good moment or two towards the end. Soundtrack is pretty great though. I'd recommend it if you like the genre.
    - Fire Emblem Warriors. It's Dynasty Warriors, but with Fire Emblem characters... though sadly almost all of them taken from Awakening and Fates, which were the two most recent titles before this released, so some names you'd probably expect to see aren't playable, like Ike and Roy. It does have Lyn though, which made me very happy personally. Anyway, if you like fairly easily cutting your way through hoards of enemies to fight bosses with Fire Emblem characters, this is a fun one.
    - Super Mario Odyssey. Already on your list, so I'll just say it's very good, probably my favorite Mario game at this point.
    - Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle. I'll second DataNinja's recommendation of this. For a game that is basically stealing the majority of its gameplay from X-Com, simplifying it, and dropping all of the trappings of that franchise in favor of Mario and the Rabbids, this is a much better game than it had any right to be. It's just fun and funny.
    - Pokkén Tournament DX. And expanded version of the Wii U title, this is a Pokémon 3D fighting game. Haven't actually played this version of it much, but it's fun if you're into either Pokémon or fighting games (it's the latter in my case), probably doubly so if you're into both.

Also, Bayonetta 3 is in development for the Switch, which would be another system-seller for me personally, since Bayonetta 2 is the best action game ever made in my mind and the first one isn't far behind. Even with it not being out (or even having a release date yet sadly...) I can be pretty confident that'll be one to recommend.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

No mention of Xenoblade?

Anyway, I really like my Switch, currently my most used system.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    A quick list of the games I own for it:

- Super Smash Brothers Ultimate. Already on your list, so hardly needs explaining, but it's excellent. The system is worth it for this alone for me personally.
    - Fire Emblem: Three Houses. Fire Emblem is a strategy RPG series if you're not familiar, and frankly this is the best entry in the series bar none. Like Smash Brothers the system would be worth it for this alone to me - and I'm honestly surprised to be saying that, but Three Houses far exceeded my usual expectations for the series. The character writing and story is genuinely great, and it altered and added to the series' usual gameplay in interesting and fun ways. I'm on my third run through, both because I enjoy it that much and because I want to see all of the possible routes through the story. Highly recommended.
    - Astral Chain. Pretty solid action game, though it starts out very slow, with your options in combat being extremely limited in the first few chapters. You play as a sort of super-cop who is tethered to a monster called a Legion by the titular Astral Chain, and you control both as a sort of tag-team duo. Can be played single-player or co-op with the second player controlling the Legion. Story's nothing to write home about but has a good moment or two towards the end. Soundtrack is pretty great though. I'd recommend it if you like the genre.
    - Fire Emblem Warriors. It's Dynasty Warriors, but with Fire Emblem characters... though sadly almost all of them taken from Awakening and Fates, which were the two most recent titles before this released, so some names you'd probably expect to see aren't playable, like Ike and Roy. It does have Lyn though, which made me very happy personally. Anyway, if you like fairly easily cutting your way through hoards of enemies to fight bosses with Fire Emblem characters, this is a fun one.
    - Super Mario Odyssey. Already on your list, so I'll just say it's very good, probably my favorite Mario game at this point.
    - Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle. I'll second DataNinja's recommendation of this. For a game that is basically stealing the majority of its gameplay from X-Com, simplifying it, and dropping all of the trappings of that franchise in favor of Mario and the Rabbids, this is a much better game than it had any right to be. It's just fun and funny.
    - Pokkén Tournament DX. And expanded version of the Wii U title, this is a Pokémon 3D fighting game. Haven't actually played this version of it much, but it's fun if you're into either Pokémon or fighting games (it's the latter in my case), probably doubly so if you're into both.

Also, Bayonetta 3 is in development for the Switch, which would be another system-seller for me personally, since Bayonetta 2 is the best action game ever made in my mind and the first one isn't far behind. Even with it not being out (or even having a release date yet sadly...) I can be pretty confident that'll be one to recommend.
    I'll echo most of this list (Mario + Rabbids is a good game,but...it's one I think you can skip) and second Breath of the Wild and Link's Awakening which is coming out Friday if you're into Zelda. On top of this list I can say with certainty that if you've got some friends for local couch play, Super Mario Party is a strong contender and a return to form. Not to mention the new Dragon Quest is coming to Switch in October and there are a ton of really solid indie games on the Switch like Hollow Knight, Stardew Valley and Shovel Knight that are well worth the pick up.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

If you don't care about linking up to the TV, the Switch Lite is coming out this week for only $200.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    On top of this list I can say with certainty that if you've got some friends for local couch play, Super Mario Party is a strong contender and a return to form.
    The one gripe that I have with Super Mario Party is that it only has 4 boards, and they're all tiny - it seems like most of the play is taken up with animations and such (a 10 turn game is the standard, taking as much time as 15-20 turn ones in prior games). So if you play too much, you are probably going to burn out on board variety. The rest of the game tends towards excellent, though.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    The one gripe that I have with Super Mario Party is that it only has 4 boards, and they're all tiny - it seems like most of the play is taken up with animations and such (a 10 turn game is the standard, taking as much time as 15-20 turn ones in prior games). So if you play too much, you are probably going to burn out on board variety. The rest of the game tends towards excellent, though.
    I am 100% with you but it does have different boards for team play. They're just as small. I'm hoping if they do another on the switch they'll have larger maps though.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The Switch is worth it for the ability to switch (heh) between TV and handheld modes alone. When I played Three Houses the first time through, I did it on the big screen. When I was playing through other routes, I swapped to handheld mode for the story bits I had already seen and put other stuff on the TV. When I hit a cutscene that differed, I got up and slotted it in and watched on the big screen. Unlike the Wii or Wii U, the actual idea behind the console is one that works just as advertised - it is equally good in both console and handheld modes.

As a platform, it is simply the best console I've ever had. It has an E-Shop that is easy to navigate. It has a front-end GUI that is simple and intuitive. Sony could learn a lot from looking at how Nintendo handled things. I've never had an XBox of any kind so I can't comment there, but the Switch is superior to any previous Nintendo or Sony option.

My games that are not listed in the thread (many first debuted on PC, but having them available on a handheld is fantastic).

Super Mario Maker 2
    Slay the Spire
    Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+
    Torchlight 2
    Cadence of Hyrule (a.k.a. Zelda meets Crypt of the Necrodancer)
    Dead Cells
    Caveblazers
    Castlevania Collection (first 4 Castlevania games, plus the two Gameboy Castlevanias, plus Bloodlines and Kid Dracula)
    Enter the Gungeon
    Celeste
    Katana Zero
    Steamworld Quest
    20XX (Megaman Roguelike)
    Super Mario Bros U Deluxe
    Salt and Sanctuary
    Octopath Traveler
    Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
    Iconoclasts
    Hand of Fate 2

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

There is also, what is it? Lite version? Which is basically just a handheld without all the gimmicks and about a hundred quid cheaper I think (is it out yet)?

If I get a Switch, it would be that version, since I'm emphatically not interested in a non-handheld console. (Hell, I haven't even played all my PS2 games that have been untouched for years... I don't have suitable access to the front room telly at the best of times, and the dining room's telly slot was replaced by the 3D printer. Pretty mcuh everything I've personally seen on the Switch I would either have no interest in or would prefer on PC... So it really depends on how good the new Pokemon games are as to whether I'll even get them. And like 3DS, DS, Gamecube and GBA before it, the Swicth would essentially be little more than a platform to play Pokemon on.)

16. - Top - End - #16

Switch lite releases tomorrow. Not that I am counting down to my delivery or anything
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    On top of this list I can say with certainty that if you've got some friends for local couch play, Super Mario Party is a strong contender and a return to form. Not to mention the new Dragon Quest is coming to Switch in October
    Right, I'll second those as well. Super Mario Party does have the low number of boards issue - plus one of them, the one that takes place on a bunch of fruit-shaped islands, is frustrating in that you're stuck on half of the map until you randomly land on warp pipe spaces that take you to the other half - but it's otherwise great, by all accounts I've heard the best Mario Party game in quite a long time.

And Dragon Quest 11 I'd forgotten to mention since I won't be getting it on Switch (already have the PS4 version), but if you're into old-school style JRPGs, that's a great one for sure. I'd definitely recommend it highly unless you just don't like JRPGs.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Civilization 6 is also available on the Switch, if you like strategy games but don't have a good computer.

It's a pretty good port, very playable, though they don't have the second expansion. (And I don't think you can get mods?)

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll add Super Mario Maker 2.

It's a 2D mario level creation and sharing engine, with a 100 level single player campaign. Super fun if you understand that you will be trolled and that's part of the charm.
    ‐-------------------
    Note that you're probably going to have to shell out for the yearly online, which is like 25 bucks. so the online NES and SNES are worth at least mentioning.

Yes it's a poor man's virtual console.

it's also free but requires the online pass.

on the NES there is: Original Mario trilogy, Kirby, Metroid, Zelda 1&2, River City Ransom, Souble Dragon 1&2, Super dodgeball, Gradius and Ninja Gaiden.
    SNES side you have: Mario World and Yoshi's Island, Link to the past, Super Metroid, Mario Kart, Sar Fox, F Zero, Kirby 3 and IS THAT BREATH OF FREAKING FIRE?

It does have a few free to play games like Warframe & Fortnite from 3rd party publishers.

Super Kirby Clash is a silly little thing, basically you and 3 friends/AIs play as 4 different class based kirbys: sword (balanced and can defend party), hammer (slow, limited flight, high damage), mage (ranged damage, can slow down enemies) and healer (limited ranged damage, some close ranged, can lay down healing area and revive allies faster). It's just boss fights and challenges, and can be repetitive, but that's the draw.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Halfling in the Playground

It's hard to be able to say if it would be worth it for you.

... For me, it was a gift. And if it wasn't for LoZ, I wouldn't have almost gotten one for myself in the first place (I say almost because I really got into the hype but decided to wait until the price went down).

The switch has a lot of games, sure, but not enough that appeal to me personally but this may be different for you. Take a look at the Switch store to see if you'd get enough games for it. The main reasons I considered it: LoZ since I have been a fan since I was a little kid, and because I travel a fair amount and despite having a gaming laptop, I'd much rather play games on a handheld when traveling.

I mostly use it to play Minecraft, and go back to LoZ. But I still play on it a lot more than I do my consoles, and a lot less than my PC.

Sorry if I'm not very helpful! I do hope you take a look at all the games available to see how you'd vibe with them. :)

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I love my switch. It was well worth the money. Skyrim, Breath of the Wild, Civ 6, Doom, and several others.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I've gotten my monies worth out of the switch just from one or two of the games on it and it's a lot of fun. Some good titles that I've played (which may and may not have been listed previously) are as follows:

Xenoblade Chronicles II - Real fun JRPG and you don't need to worry about not having played the original (which is also getting a remaster/port to the switch next year to look out for) that has a fun combat system and I enjoyed the story. The Torna: Golden Country stand aside/DLC is also fun and further refines the combat system to a more paired fighting experience but will spoil parts of the plot rather badly so be forewarned. The game has a lot of side content (maxing blades, sidequests, mercenary missions) and pulling for some rare blades can be a grind (I lucked out on Kos-Mos but some people cracked hundreds of cores in the simulated gatcha to get her) but the story blades you're given will easily carry you through challenges and the real grindy bits aren't needed unless you want to really go after the super bosses etc.

Astral Chain - Still early in this one but it's a platinum games combo fighter with some investigation and other other elements that handles relatively smooth (sometimes the Legion controls seem to flake a bit on me) but it's really showing some polish so far with the time I've spent on it.

Breath of the Wild - This gens Zelda launch title. I have it on WiiU but it's fun even if it's not a traditional Zelda. Will really scratch your Skyrim itch though and lets you get creative if you want to.

Fire Emblem Three Houses - Another game I'm partway through (stupid 12-13 hour work days) but it's a fun revision to the fire emblem formula and with a bit more polish (classing up seems wonky thus far and some classes really don't seem to step up from one tier to the next) could be the de-facto go to from now on. The game is neat and the characters are fun so it's worth it in my book.

Add in a lot of the old school games getting ports or releases (Mega Man legacy collection, X series, and apparently Z/ZX are getting one too), the Intellisys Blaster Master and Gunvolt Series, Link's Awakening, Contra collection, and the nintendo online NES/SNES games are all value.

I can't 100% say if it's worth it but I've found it to be worthwhile and a boon at airports while traveling (Playing 4 man smash while in an airport waiting for your flight is a great way to kill time).

23. - Top - End - #23

I got it. So y'all convinced me. :P

Thanks all for the advice!

Show
    Show

Show

24. - Top - End - #24

I got it. So y'all convinced me. :P

Thanks all for the advice!
    Nice!

What games?

Still strongly advocating Hollow Knight.
    Spoiler
    Show
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

25. - Top - End - #25

Smash, Dark Souls, and Hollow Knight.

Haven’t played the third yet

Show
    Show

Show

26. - Top - End - #26

Smash, Dark Souls, and Hollow Knight.

Haven’t played the third yet
    :O

Nice!

Please let us know when you do.
    Spoiler
    Show
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

27. - Top - End - #27

Question: Is there software or something for recording/streaming from your Switch? I wouldn't mind doing a blind Let's Play of Hollow Knight.

Show
    Show

Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

You need a capture card for your computer. You plug an HDMI source into it and it'll make videos out of it. After that you need some video editing software, I think. I dunno, I've only barely looked into this.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    You need a capture card for your computer. You plug an HDMI source into it and it'll make videos out of it. After that you need some video editing software, I think. I dunno, I've only barely looked into this.
    Thanks. I think my friend has an El Gato, so maybe that'd work?

Show
    Show

Show

30. - Top - End - #30

Update: Still have not started Hollow Knight, but my friend got his ElGato.

Unfortunately, I cannot record audio with the ElGato for some reason, so I need to get a microphone... It's an ordeal. But I will give my thoughts on the game!

Show
    Show

Show