The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Fochlucan Lyricist Trick?

Looking at a Fochlucan Lyricist build and I came up with an interesting idea: retraining the level of Druid once you can. Under the PHB II retraining rules, you don't lose any languages, and Druidic isn't listed as a class feature. By RAW...it should work.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Fochlucan Lyricist Trick?

Yes, that's correct. Interesting trick. I might also advise learning it from a blighter.
    fight my brute! it's a lot of fun
    Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition
    Iron Chef Deep Freeze: Turning Tables on Old Dishes

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

smile Re: Fochlucan Lyricist Trick?

Hellbred[FC2] and Spellscales[RotD] explicitly know any languages they knew in their old life.
    There is also a Planescape race Shad that get Druidic as a bonus language.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Retraining should work, yep.

Hellbred should work since it's definitely readable as being reborn as a new character... but I think if you do the Spellscale ritual on, say, a Human Druid 5, you just get a Spellscale Druid 5, not a totally new character. It says you lose all racial traits and gain the traits of a Spellscale but not that you lose your class levels, etc. Sort of like becoming a Dragonborn of Bahamut.

I couldn't find an official 3.5 source for Shad but if they have Druidic as a native language explicitly that would work too.

It's an interesting trick but I can't think of any ways to break it.
    Last edited by Silvercrys; 2019-09-19 at 01:20 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

The Child of Eberron Sovereign Archetype gives you Druidic as a bonus language, but if you're taking that you are probably a Dragonwrought Kobold and getting into Fochlucan Lyricist is probably the least of the cheese you're serving :)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

RangerGuy

Thanks for all the replies all! I seem to be on the right track, I'll have to post my intended build soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    Yes, that's correct. Interesting trick. I might also advise learning it from a blighter.
    That could be an interesting roleplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel7284 View Post
    Hellbred[FC2] and Spellscales[RotD] explicitly know any languages they knew in their old life.
    There is also a Planescape race Shad that get Druidic as a bonus language.
    Why should I know what Planescape is?

Quote Originally Posted by Silvercrys View Post
    Retraining should work, yep.

Hellbred should work since it's definitely readable as being reborn as a new character... but I think if you do the Spellscale ritual on, say, a Human Druid 5, you just get a Spellscale Druid 5, not a totally new character. It says you lose all racial traits and gain the traits of a Spellscale but not that you lose your class levels, etc. Sort of like becoming a Dragonborn of Bahamut.

I couldn't find an official 3.5 source for Shad but if they have Druidic as a native language explicitly that would work too.

It's an interesting trick but I can't think of any ways to break it.
    I'm glad to hear that I'm on to something.

Quote Originally Posted by RaiKirah View Post
    The Child of Eberron Sovereign Archetype gives you Druidic as a bonus language, but if you're taking that you are probably a Dragonwrought Kobold and getting into Fochlucan Lyricist is probably the least of the cheese you're serving :)
    Staying away from Eberron for now, though I could look into it in the future.

What do y'all think of cloistered cleric for Lore being "identical" to bardic knowledge?
    Last edited by RNightstalker; 2019-09-19 at 09:39 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RNightstalker View Post
    What do y'all think of cloistered cleric for Lore being "identical" to bardic knowledge?
    I rule that identical means identical. Partly because FL is so hard to get into, and because allowing it doesn't overshadow the Druid/Bard preset choice.

Otoh, I don't allow items (evasion ring) to qualify for prereqs.

Btw, there's a regional feat that allows "any" language (if a dm disallows retraining). Bardic Tutelage, I think?
    Last edited by bean illus; 2019-09-21 at 04:04 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

tongue Re: Fochlucan Lyricist Trick?

Saying that someone reading RAW differently than you is "home brewing or house ruling, but that's fine" doesn't make you right, it just makes you seem pompous.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by bean illus View Post
    I rule that identical means identical. Partly because FL is so hard to get into, and because allowing it doesn't overshadow the Druid/Bard preset choice.

Btw, there's a regional feat that allows "any" language (if a dm disallows retraining). Bardic knack?
    I think the Druidic language is where specific would trump a feat.

I've got the Shadow Template to get evasion, but I'm still looking for a way to get Perform as a class skill. Able Learner is still limited by max ranks for cc skills, even though they only cost one point now.

I also don't understand the trick they use for early entry into Mystic Theurge to fill some levels before FL.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Shadow Template is gonna cost you two levels, that's quite a bit even with LA buyoff. If you're doing early entry to Mystic Theruge anyway, you might as well play a Bamboo Spiritfolk and do Wizard 1/Cleric 2/Mystic Theruge 7/Arcane Heirophant 10 or something.

Though if you're getting the template for actually-free or you're set on Fochlucan Lyrist, well... I guess I've got two entries for you.

Illumians with the Naenhoon sigil can spend turn/rebuke undead attempts to power metamagic. So you can technically use Heighten Spell to cast 2nd level spells with it. Illumians also have the Human subtype, so they can take Human Paragon and use it to add Perform (String Instruments) to your class skills forever.

Your build, then, is Shadow Illumian (Naenhoon) Human Paragon 1/Cloistered Cleric 1/Wizard 1/Mystic Theruge 7/Fochlucan Lyrist 10. You can buy off your LA at levels 6 and 9, as I recall. If you can convince your DM to let you, you might try to take the second two levels of Human Paragon and add the spellcasting from those to Mystic Theruge, too, though that's a bit sketchy.

The other one is, well, the same one but with Precocious Apprentice and Alternative Source Spell instead of Illumian. Precocious Apprentice gives you a 2nd level spell slot and Alternative Source Spell allows you to cast it as a divine spell.

Shadow Human Wizard 1/Human Paragon 1/Cloistered Cleric 1/Mystic Theruge 7/Fochlucan Lyrist 10. Same build, slightly different capabilities and entry to Mystic Theruge. This one is probably more likely to be allowed because it doesn't smell quite as cheesy as the first one, but the Illumian build is stronger since you can use your racial power to reduce metamagic costs from feats like Persistent Spell.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

In Forgotten realms there is the Bardic Tutelage Region in champions of valor that grants a region language plus any other language including dead ones. It does not have the usual wording prohibiting druidic.

I am kind of fond of

Bard/Fighter 2/Bard 2/Spell Sword 2/ Spell Dancer 2/ Divine Crusader/Sublime Chord/ FL9

H1 Ocular Spell, L1 Combat Casting, F2 Dodge, F3 Mobility, L3 Sanctum Spell, L6 Endurance, SS7 Weapon Focus, L9 Extend Spell, L12 Persistent Spell....

Not as good as a cleric, but all Charisma based casting and a BAB of 16. The main reason for this route of course is Spell Dancer for free metamagic. Just have to pick your domain and deity's favored weapon.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Vodyanoi from Dragon Magazine simply know druidic and don't have the prohibition for teaching it to outsiders. It's my go to trick for getting into Fohlucan Lyrist.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ZamielVanWeber View Post
    Vodyanoi from Dragon Magazine simply know druidic and don't have the prohibition for teaching it to outsiders. It's my go to trick for getting into Fohlucan Lyrist.
    What is/are Vodyanoi and which issue?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Retrain shape soulmeld soulspeaker circlet. Use the circlet and spend 2 skill points to teach yourself the language. If memory serves it doesn't have the druid restriction.

Though I really do want to play the blighter who keeps spreading druidic.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

You can snag evasion with soul bind (impulse boots) and open chakra (feet).
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    You can snag evasion with soul bind (impulse boots) and open chakra (feet).
    This is debated, the open chakra feet says it opens the chakra not that it gives one the ability to bind a soulmeld. It however may not be unbalanced.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sutr View Post
    This is debated, the open chakra feet says it opens the chakra not that it gives one the ability to bind a soulmeld. It however may not be unbalanced.
    Uhh...

"Benefit: When this feat is selected, choose one of the following chakras: crown, feet, or hands. You can now bind a soulmeld or a magic item to that chakra."
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    Uhh...

"Benefit: When this feat is selected, choose one of the following chakras: crown, feet, or hands. You can now bind a soulmeld or a magic item to that chakra."
    Yep no words saying you gain an additional chakra bind(see classes). Useful as a mulitclass feat for incarnate or totemist, but missing vital wording allowing you to actually do it without a chakra bind from a class. I'm not sure this debate belongs here though so we can just agree its debatable.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bean illus View Post

Btw, there's a regional feat that allows "any" language (if a dm disallows retraining). Bardic Tutelage, I think?
    One of the longest-running arguments of my adult life is with my best friend, who insists that getting into Fochlucan Lyrist via Divine Oracle's Prescient Sense is legitimate.

Not that it matters anymore, since I only do mutant 3.PF and Bards can get Evasion on their own.
    "Love is at the heart of everything: all learning, all relationships. Love, or the lack of it." - Fred Rogers