The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 61 to 73 of 73
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Stranger in the Playground Moderator Ventruenox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Northern Colorado
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Game Classics Recommendations

    I remember exploring every variation and solution to Maniac Mansion (NES microwavable hamster version).

    Xenogears for PS1 is still charming. Chrono Cross maintains great replay variation and is interesting to see a proto version of the D&D 5E spell slot system.

    Douglas Adams fans should certainly try out Starship Titanic at least once for the NPC chat aspect. It was "mess with Siri" before Siri was ever around.
    Forum Rules. If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link.

  2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Lvl 2 Expert's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Tulips Cheese & Rock&Roll
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Game Classics Recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Cardew View Post
    And how has no one mentioned Worms: Armageddon (1999) yet?
    I did name Worms 2... And to be fair, they released way too many of those things, to the point where I'm not sure how many of those titles are just quick repackagings of a previous title.
    The ultimate OOTS cookie cutter nameless soldier is the hobgoblin.

  3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground
     
    GnomeWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013

    Default Re: Old Game Classics Recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    There were at least a few games that required you to go to a website or, on at least one occasion, call a phone number IRL, so I believe that they genuinely thought they were being clever by including interaction with non-game materials. That it ended up combining well with some copy protection methods is, I think, something of a coincidence.
    My favorite copy protection was the one for Laura Bow: Colonel's Bequest. The game came with a red-tinted magnifying glass that you could use to see fingerprints on the copy protection sheet. You had to match up the fingerprints with the person they belonged to. A thematically fun way to do copy protection for a murder mystery. Of course, if you lost (or broke, since it was paper and plastic) the magnifying glass, you were pretty much screwed. I remember having to use the red card from the old Sierra hintbooks as an ersatz magnifying glass to read the fingerprints one row at a time.

    For the record, QFG also had some copy protection - just not as severe as some of the other cases. In QFGII the crazy streets of Shapeir (and their reversed counterparts in Raseir) were a sort of semi-copy protection, as a map of the city was included with the game. You could use the magic map to get by in Shapeir, but once you were in Raseir you either had to have a good memory, a good sense of direction, or have the actual map.

    In QFGIV, there is just straight up copy protection. Dr. Cranium will not make you potions if you don't tell him the recipes, which are "chemical formulas" with the chemicals translated into the 5 elements (Wind, Water, Fire, Earth, and Pizza) in various places in the manual. This wouldn't be SO bad if making a particular potion weren't required to beat the game. So you could play it just fine...but you would be playing on hard mode, and eventually you would hit a brick wall.

  4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Gnoman's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Toledo, Ohio
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Game Classics Recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    My favorite copy protection was the one for Laura Bow: Colonel's Bequest. The game came with a red-tinted magnifying glass that you could use to see fingerprints on the copy protection sheet. You had to match up the fingerprints with the person they belonged to. A thematically fun way to do copy protection for a murder mystery. Of course, if you lost (or broke, since it was paper and plastic) the magnifying glass, you were pretty much screwed. I remember having to use the red card from the old Sierra hintbooks as an ersatz magnifying glass to read the fingerprints one row at a time.
    Red Saran Wrap worked quite well in cases like this, and you could get away with a Tupperware lid if you it was thin enough.

  5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2007

    Default Re: Old Game Classics Recommendations

    Talking about ancient copy protections, I remember Prince of Persia having a whole room of potions and letters underneath, and a reference that called to a certain page and line in the game manual. The wrong potions were poison and killed you immediately, IIRC.
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2019-09-21 at 07:52 PM.

  6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Game Classics Recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    I did name Worms 2... And to be fair, they released way too many of those things, to the point where I'm not sure how many of those titles are just quick repackagings of a previous title.
    For some help: Of the games running on the Worms 2 engine, Worms: Armageddon is the one with most recent updates and best online play upkeep. Worms World Party is technically newer, but for whatever reason the community attention diverted to the older game, and W:A is now supposed to have all of WWP's functionality and extras, so if you want an older Worms game, Armageddon is the definite go-to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Mordekaiser for president.

  7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Game Classics Recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by Cespenar View Post
    Talking about ancient copy protections, I remember Prince of Persia having a whole room of potions and letters underneath, and a reference that called to a certain page and line in the game manual. The wrong potions were poison and killed you immediately, IIRC.
    Oh, if you want weird and wonderful copy protection methods you have to go back further than Prince of Persia. Best one was a little device called a "Lenslok" that was used as copy protection for various 8-bit games including the ZX Spectrum version of Elite--the idea was that you had this plastic lens with various prisms on it, the game would display a garbled image of some text onscreen, and you had to view it through the lens to make it readable and allow you to type the code. It was a royal PITA to get the thing to work, because the image had to be a very specific size, and of course the Spectrum used a TV with who knows what screen size for its display, so getting the image to the right size for the lens to do its job was a tricksy process.

  8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2007

    Default Re: Old Game Classics Recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Oh, if you want weird and wonderful copy protection methods you have to go back further than Prince of Persia. Best one was a little device called a "Lenslok" that was used as copy protection for various 8-bit games including the ZX Spectrum version of Elite--the idea was that you had this plastic lens with various prisms on it, the game would display a garbled image of some text onscreen, and you had to view it through the lens to make it readable and allow you to type the code. It was a royal PITA to get the thing to work, because the image had to be a very specific size, and of course the Spectrum used a TV with who knows what screen size for its display, so getting the image to the right size for the lens to do its job was a tricksy process.
    That sounds like it could be its own game alright.

  9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ElfPirate

    Join Date
    Aug 2013

    Default Re: Old Game Classics Recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    And I spend years not knowing the full title of Raptor: Call of the Shadows (1994). I was looking for it because it had this music I remembered and I kind of like top down scrolling shooters anyway, and I found it again eventually, or rather, it found me. And... it's okay. It could really use some way to grind. As it stands you only gain resources from levels you complete and there's no real way to reply levels, so the difficulty is very fixed, where I would enjoy a bit more "just let me shoot things up I'm doing this for fun". Tyrian (1995, re-released with a handful of improvements in 1999 as Tyrian 2000) was another fun one in the genre. That's one of those games I learned about later during my old games period, so there's less nostalgia goggles there and I still got quite a ways into the game. This game in the higher upgrade stages basically let's you fill the screen with bullets. Not enemy bullets, your own.
    I've played those both as new. Mind I never took to that genre, too many bad memories from arcade machines I could never play.


    Apropos the ancinet CRM. How many here have played games where you would have to endlessly restart the game to get it to spawn the one question you knew the answer to because that's all the friend of a friend you got it from had.
    Last edited by snowblizz; 2019-09-23 at 02:52 AM.

  10. - Top - End - #70
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2019

    Default Re: Old Game Classics Recommendations

    Super Mario Bros.
    Donkey Kong
    The Legend of Zelda
    Pac-Man
    Mortal Kombat
    Adventure Island

  11. - Top - End - #71
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Eladrinblade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2009

    Default Re: Old Game Classics Recommendations

    super mario 3, world, 64

    tomb raider 1, 2

    stronghold
    heroes of might and magic 2, 3

    advance wars 1, 2 (gameboy advance)

    resident evil 2
    parasite eve 2

    baldurs gate 1, 2
    icewind dale 1, 2
    fallout 1, 2
    underrail (newer, but it's like older games)

    half-life 1 (bioshock 1, deadspace 1; I like them for the same reasons)

    final fantasy tactics

  12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2009

    Default Re: Old Game Classics Recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrinblade View Post
    deadspace 1
    A shame that the PC version is such a bad port

  13. - Top - End - #73
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    MinimanMidget's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2013

    Default Re: Old Game Classics Recommendations

    I'll second the recommendation for Tyrian, the best scrolling shooter of all time, and also point out that it's available for free on GoG.

    While I'm at it, Liero is a delightful non-turn-based version of Worms, and both it and Triplane Turmoil are amazing games to play with friends.
    Last edited by MinimanMidget; 2019-10-03 at 12:55 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •